Baang Cafe & Bar
1191 E. Putnam Ave.
Greenwich, CT 06878Neighborhood:
AsianPrice: $31 to $50
Baang Cafe & Bar
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.decarorestaurantgroup.com/
- Phone: 2036372114
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday 12:00am-2:30pm Dinner: Monday - Thursday 5:30pm-10:00pm, Friday & Saturday 5:30pm-11:00pm, Sunday 5:30pm-9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Fusion / Eclectic, Asian
- Executive Chef: Dave Soto
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Smoking Area, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Can accommodate off-premise catering for functions of 30-300 persons
- Private Party Facilities: Can accommodate on premise catering for functions ranging from 16-120 persons- larger capacity for cocktail parties
- Private Party Contact: Holly DeCaro 2033414666
- Entertainment: Every Friday Night DJ Noelle From 10:00 pm Untill also Enjoy Our Late Night Menu From 11:00pm until 2:00am Friday night thruogh Sat night!!!
A word from Baang Cafe & Bar
Baang Cafe explodes with bold east-west cooking and rated "excellent" by several publications like the New York Times. Baang pulsates with excitement and vibrant colors setting the tone for an exciting dining experience punctuated the delicious Asian-accented specialties.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Baang Cafe & Bar reviews from OpenTable diners
7 reviews since June 2, 2014
- Ambiance3Noise LevelModerate
good for groups (3)special occasion (3)great for outdoor dining (2)romantic (2)fit for foodies (1)late-night find (1)vibrant bar scene (1)neighborhood gem (1)hot spot (1)Show More
- PeterVIPDined on 7/4/2014The food us good. They should fix the place up. It has the same decor as when it first opened it looks tired. It needs to be refreshed.I would recommend this to a friend.
- not as good as usualLovetoeatVIPDined on 7/3/2014think they weren't expecting a crowd the night before the 4th of july the waiter was running all over sand even making the drinks. they did not have many of the staples that make bang what it usually is. the calamari salad was not crispy as its called a crispy calamari salad. things came soaked in soy sauce. no where near enjoyable. i guess everyone is entitled to a screwup. think i will take a break for a while
- Good food; dirty tablesCustomerVIPDined on 6/6/2014Food good but no real effort at cleanliness. Inside noise level is absurdly loud. Table cleanup gets no attention. Gawd only knows what happens out of sight.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 263 reviews are from the Baang Cafe & Bar reviews archive.
- Consistent over the yearsC4times3VIPDined on 5/15/2014Have been to Baang many times over the past 15 years. The food remains terrific with friendly service.Special Features:
- GGirlVIPDined on 5/15/2014The food is always delicious and beautifully prepared. It never disappoints. Service iis friendly and attentive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- To bad the Food's ExcellentJeriVIPDined on 5/11/2014We have gone to Baang for years. Food is always terrific (still is). However, last two times we've been there the service has been very poor. Restaurant was not crowded but it took over 30 minutes to get our drinks which we could see from our seats were sitting on the bar. After 45 minutes asked where our appetizers were only to find out the waitress had never put in the order. Ended up getting our appetizers after our entrees. Maitre de never came back to ask if everything was ok. Nothing was taken off the bill.Special Features:
- Good food, great serviceJimRVIPDined on 5/3/2014Baang sports a great menu with very good service. Overall I find many of the dishes too salty, although my wife loves them so. Prices are pretty reasonable given the location. The wine list is good and the cocktails are creative. Good place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awful.. Horrible serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2014VIPDined on 4/19/2014I would never go back again.. In the past we used to frequently go for dinner.. This past experience was awful.. Our service was horrible we waited so long for service.. They were completely out half the wine menu also food options.. The food was decent.. But the overall experience was very disappointing.Special Features:
- Baang Is A BustTriplemVIPDined on 4/16/2014Baang is full of great promise that ends of up being empty. The food was only passable and frankly forgettable--never a good thing but especially so with the total under performance of service. Out server was well intentioned but was completely overwhelmed. It took 20 minutes to get a glass of wine and one of our drink orders never came, we were a table of four and only two of us received menus. And the maitre d' was the worst combination--officious and incompetent. Having lived in the town for many years, we simply never got round to getting to Baang and now we know why--Baang simply fizzled out on every level. We will not be returning.
- Interesting DishesAllegro824Dined on 4/12/2014Very good and tasty combinations of food. The chocolate fondue is amazing. The sushi is not as good as other restaurants however.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- tiny menu but worth the priceanonymousDined on 4/8/2014service was great as usual and the one lone server did a fantastic job handling multiple tables, always attentive.
- Tried something differentLovetoeatVIPDined on 3/22/2014Being a repeat customer Decided to try something different The shanghai beef and spare rib appetizer The ribs were plentiful and the beef was cooked perfectly. My wife had the tunamand the calamari All was great The waitress was pleasant and good
- Great for a night out!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/20/2014Caught up with an old friend over dinner... wait staff allowed us to linger but was still attentive and we enjoyed a fantastic dinner. The sea bass was perfectly cooked.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Far drive for disappointmentWheredayawannaeatVIPDined on 2/15/2014We went to this restaurant on a freezing Saturday night. No valet (Greenwich), no parking left. Parked blocks away. The restaurant is cold feeling in a cavernous way. The music was too loud even for the twenty-something's with us. So my husband ordered the fish and I ordered the shrimp. Well, they were out of the fish so he ordered the shrimp. Alas, now out of the shrimp. He didn't miss much. Salty. For dessert he ordered espresso ice cream. Hmmm...out of espresso ice cream. They get points for creative desserts, but it was a first for us to leave half of a chocolate dessert uneaten as the beautiful pagoda cake was dry. Thinking maybe something should have been on the house? Think again.
- Good dining experience with kids!desifoodieDined on 2/14/2014My husband and I are very adventurous with our food and our child is very picky with hers. This was a great compromise and the staff were accmomodating when it came to recommending/making food for her.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ALWAYS a favDianeDined on 2/8/2014We are never disappointed! The food was extra extraordinary on Saturday night. Our wait staff was obviously new. Nice, nice guy but not absolutely on top of his game, yet. Nothing to get too excited about as the service is generally just great. Still the best calamari salad in the area, no, the best on the Eastern Seaboard, no, the best in the country!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always goodLovetoeatVIPDined on 2/7/2014Always good. Great calamari salad. Good tuna. Not as good as usual. Still good. The goat cheese wontons are wonderful. Santos is the waiter to ask for.I would recommend this to a friend.
- if you dont mind the limitedanonymousDined on 1/12/2014if you dont mind the limited menu and the crazy prices for the drinks/food then this place is for youI would recommend this to a friend.
- A Tribute to Culinary CreativityTheGreatGatsbyDined on 1/9/2014*NOTE: Baang Cafe/Bar CLOSED July 2014 by DeCaro Group* SCOPE||My review pays tribute/recaps history, notes defining traits & touches on its closure: 1. '95—BAANG opens many drawn to its Riverside/unique easterly locale, loosening Gwich Ave's food monopoly. Its fame grew rapidly—aided by rave NYT & CT mag reviews. It was a foodie destination. 2. PIONEER—Culinary ingenuity. Baang's ASIAN-FUSION style menu was novel—inspired—fresh. Bright dishes like Goat Cheese Wontons & Banana Nut Spring Rolls were tastebud mini-adventures. It sparked a wave of FUSION restaurants in town/Fairfield Co. 3. A Shocking CLOSURE—My thoughts/explanation: HUGE new contenders like Eleven14—crowd visibly waned YoY—bad parking/recessed site—caliber/service declined.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always love this placewestcorkyDined on 12/4/2013A great spot for a leisurely quiet lunch, and a hot spot at night (when the vibe is also a little too loud for anyone who can't manage noisy restaurants). Great fusion food, light if you want it, deeply flavorful always, rich if you want it, and all,Asian inflected but ultimately not quite like anything else around.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Friendly service and fantastic foodCTGalVIPDined on 11/23/2013Friendly Staff and fantastic meal Three of us arrived quite hungry and were greeted by an extremely friendly and welcoming staff. Manager came to our table to welcome us when she heard we were first time diners. Our waiter was excellent. We shared 6 appetizers, including the chicken salad and the calamari salad. All were delicious, including the sushi rolls and sashimi but I felt the lobster crepes were the fav. Had the ginger bread ice cream sandwich and banana desserts. Thought we'd only try a forkful or two each. Devoured! Up beat atmosphere, busy, although not full on a Saturday night. Not sure why. We were thoroughly satisfied and will return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ok service, very sub-par foodOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/23/2013Food was really not very good. Pad thai was so sweet and soggy and brown fried rice was brown but had no flavor and was not very rice-like! Five spice chicken was the only reasonable item. Overall the food was worth about 20% of what we were charged for. Certainly would not go back, and would never recommend to anyone to go there!
- Baang is pretty consistent.drewDined on 11/9/2013Baang is pretty consistent. Love the ambiance although they could turn down the background music and limit the TV to the bar. I don't take it as a sports bar, but with the TV in the dining area projected on the wall, it seems like it is attempting to be that, which it is not. The fresh salads here are wonderful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love their bento box. ChickenElizaDined on 10/28/2013Love their bento box. Chicken salad is always good and then you have two additional choices. Nice portion size. Very enjoyable lunch spot where you can hear each other which sometimes is hard to do.Special Features:
- Saturday Night 10/26/13ChrisDined on 10/26/2013With so many restaurants in the Greenwich/Stamford area, we hadn't been to this gem in 6 years. On a friend's recommendation we booked it for our Anniversary. The two of us had a very great "foodie experience". My wife and I each had appetizers off the Specials of the Evening , she had a Special Entre as well. I had a Chilean Sea Bass entree off the regular menu and she had a Lamb Special. All were very ingeniously created, colorful and well worth responding about!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AmazingPandBforfoodDined on 10/19/2013Everything about our dining experience was incredible; the food, the service...friends visiting from out of town thought the food was just to die for. Highly recommended spot!Special Features:
- i dont need a menuarobDined on 10/3/2013I have been to baang at least 30 to 40 times and it continues to be one of the best in Greenwich. Best appetizers of any restaurant but I never go without the lobster crepes. Amazingly consistent quality and I have yet to have any complaints. Absolutely a must if you are in town.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- There's flavor!CathyDined on 9/22/2013Missing the food in the city? Food with flavor and a Chef who has pride in his/her food? This is the place. There's flavor in each and every bite. You can't go wrong with whatever you order. Pricey but worth it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A favorite treat for usfreddiefDined on 8/31/2013Food is spectacular, and you'll think about for days afterwards. The flavors are exquisite.Special Features:
- A bit tiredElksmanDined on 8/8/2013Went on a Thursday night and thought it would be a bit more hopping. Service was slow and waiter forgot our apps at first but they made up for it with a free dessert. I'd go again but not rush backI would recommend this to a friend.
- Still going strong in GreenwichMarkootzDined on 8/3/2013Returned to Baang after a long absence. Food is still excellent. Service was very attentive. Very nice night out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Average for price. Fading away….DManDined on 8/2/2013My wife and I recently visited Baang after being away for some time. We used to go frequently when we were first dating and within the first few years of Baang being open (late 90’s). Much of the menu is the same, but the food is average, especially for the price. Not what it once was. The décor hasn’t changed at all. That being said, the service was excellent, although we went early (not sure what it would be like at peak hours). The food quality isn’t what it once was, but it’s not terrible by any means. It’s that just for the price, I’m sure you can do better elsewhere. Seems like this place is fading away. Perhaps a menu re-fresh and a facelift.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Surprised!carosenblumDined on 7/24/2013You may not expect much from this restaurant located all alone on the Post Road, but once you get the experience you will want to go back. There was so much to choose from on the menu that I had trouble making up my mind. The waiter was very helpful and attentive, but only when needed. Portions are big and worth the cost. A bit on the expensive side, but that is expected for Greenwich dining. I was very surprised by the entire experience. Will definitely return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LoveSynncytyDined on 6/22/2013I first went to Baang for my 50th birthday for dinner...I loved it! could not believe that I had passed it numerous times and never saw it! The food...the service,,,the atmosphere was most enjoyableSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lunch was great but facelift neededSkipVIPDined on 6/12/2013I had lunch with a friend. We decided to order the six tapas offerings. Four would have been adequate; five perfect; six was too much. But we didn't want to miss out on somehting. The food was great. We sat outside. The interior was dark and noisy - a function largely of a noisy exhaust system. Out side was overgrown and the furniture was beat. It must be some joint with the young crowd at night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 5 Spice Chicken & Calamari SaladAliciaDined on 6/7/2013Get them both, you won't be disappointed. The Calamari salad is amazing, we get it every time we go. We also enjoy the mandarin beef and the lamb chops.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service was below average this timeFrancoisVIPDined on 6/7/2013I've been to Baang several times. As usual, the food was very good, however the service was below the usual professional level that I normally receive at this restaurant. Perhaps it was an anomoly.
- Went last night and had theReinaVIPDined on 6/6/2013Went last night and had the Calamari Salad (which I HAVE to get everytime I go), the Goat Cheese Wontons and the Salmon & Tuna Tartare - Everything was delish and our server Santos was very attentive. Will be back time and time again!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Still the same after 10 yearsOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 6/1/2013Same menu. Greasy food. Noisy, so go with people you don't to hear. Wines extremely expensive and not much of a list. Hadn't been in many years, thank goodness.
- Dinner with momOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/31/2013One of my favorite spots in riverside, ct. Valet parks your car and you are warmly greeted and seated at comortable tables either in or outdoors. This great menu offers options for the meat loving and vegetarian with support of an Asian influence. My mom and I enjoyed a dinner here and split the dim sum, chicken salad, and lettuce wraps. All delicious and fun to eat with chop sticks. The ambiance and energy in the restaurant is so inviting that we stayed for 2 hours.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.