44 Belden Place
San Francisco, CA 94104Neighborhood:
Downtown / Union Square
SpanishPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.b44sf.com/
- Phone: (415) 986-6287
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:30pm; Dinner: Monday - Sunday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Spanish, Tapas / Small Plates
- Executive Chef: Daniel Olivella
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, BYO Liquor, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Buy outs are available. Please contact the restaurant for more details.
- Private Party Contact: Jordi Olivella 4155356335
A word from B44
B44 features a full bar, heated terrace seating with lamps and a canopy. There is bistro style seating.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
B44 reviews from OpenTable diners
83 reviews since July 30, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (48)fit for foodies (45)good for groups (41)neighborhood gem (27)romantic (22)special occasion (16)notable wine list (14)hot spot (13)great for lunch (12)late-night find (9)vibrant bar scene (8)kid-friendly (5)scenic view (3)great for brunch (2)Show More
- Service was unbelievably slowOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/15/2014Food was good. Drinks were good. Noise level inside was too loud outside was perfect. The tapas portions were small (expected) but complexity of flavor was great. The service was literally the worst. We had to ask for things multiple times. We want to order more and after asking for our server she didn't come for 15 minutes and we left to another place. I probably would try a different place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Terrific tapas and Spanish wineboothstarDined on 11/13/2014Really first rate tapas in a casual, friendly setting. The waitstaff was professional and warm, and suggested a terrific wine off the menu. We ordered more. We took business colleagues for something different, and B44 delivered. Everyone was very happy with every dish, from octopus to rabbit paella. Will definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ElarsonDined on 11/8/2014Exciting restaurant in a cool area with several other restaurants located in a big city alley way. Euro feel. Bartender was terrific, Helpful and knowledgeable. Cheese and cured meats, tuna, olives, wine all great.Special Features:
- Quick trip to MadridDavidDined on 11/8/2014Fantastic. A vibrant atmosphere. Traditional and innovative Tapas. The food is truly a pleasure. A great night out. Somehow both romantic and yet vibrant and a lot of fun.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Food Not So Good ServiceMikeDined on 11/8/2014My family and I had one night in San Francisco after visiting wineries for a few days and wanted to find a casual restaurant with good fine and wine. Found B44 searching OpenTable -- I liked the idea of tapas since we had a group of 6 and felt this would be a fun way to end our vacation. All the dishes were solid & several were very good. There is a good selection of Spanish wines & the bar makes some good cocktails. Unfortunately, the service was disappointing. Took about 20 min for someone to take our first drink order and about the same amount to order some food. Repeat drink orders were slow. Even so, I'd go back but would book an outside table for the atmosphere; plus the service appeared better for the outside.Special Features:
- comodorenseDined on 11/8/2014Excellent food. The paella was delicious, well seasoned and cooked. The mussels were very fresh. The service was too fast. The restaurant was not crowded, and although we told the server to go "slow" our food was served in less than 30 minutes. Overall, a good place to go, we wished they have not brought us all of our food at once to be able to enjoy the good bottle of wine and tapas we asked first.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- So-so tapasOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/2/2014Food was mediocre. We've had better tapas. Restaurant was in a cool spot-in an alley with a string of other restaurants. Indoor/outdoor seating which was nice. Typical tapas prices. Service was ok. Overall nothing impressive.Special Features:
- OutstandingSCWpgDined on 10/28/2014Food and service were exceptional. Wine list was also very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- decent Spanish fare w/ nice serviceMaHiDined on 10/16/2014Came in on a Thur night@t 7p w/ a rez, but restaurant was only 20% full. No biggie for us. Warm red decor showing typical spanish characters/events/scenes. Reminds me of another spanish place- Toro in San Juan. A little quiet, but livened up, especially with a few Giants playoffs watchers. When we left around 9p, place was close to full. Our server, Justin, was prompt, helpful and candid w/ menu choices. Can't ask for much more. Many great dishes to choose from, especially the tapas, but was craving paella. Cheese plate was great, paella was mostly good but w/ a couple chewy calamari pieces. Sangria- a little sweet for my taste, forcing switch to Estrella. All in all, a decent place. Would go back and try a few of the tapas plates.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food and ambienceWuhooDined on 10/11/2014We had a great time...food was good...service was good and great atmosphereSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Authentic Catalan Find in SFDecaturmammaDined on 10/8/2014Not sure why I thought it surprising to find a Catalan restaurant in San Francisco, being such a great food city and all. B44 is on point. The ingredients, flavors, and preparations are spot-on, just like my Yaya and mom make. It's a charming alley location, with a welcoming patio and indoor ambiance. We sat inside and I felt as if I were in one of my many Barcelona regular haunts. Went with a group of 8 work friends, in town for a conference, and we were not disappointed. Ordered 10-12 dishes off the menu and I was happy with all of them. Escallivada, Xato, patates braves; all yummy. Standouts were the comprehensive wine list and the arros negre (rice cooked with cuttlefish and other seafood in ink).Special Features:
- Tapas Fun!!SueBDined on 10/3/2014This is our third year to take the Ferry from Marin (Larkspur and Tiburon) meet friends at Ferry building walk to B44; meet more friends and have a fun evening of tapas (white beans and sausage, prawns, crab stuffed in peppers, chicken skewers), paella (B44/ classic), wine and sangria, and great fun!! B44 has great food; reminiscent of Spain, great dining outside on this charming alley in the middle of downtown SF. Our friends are always blown away by the food and atmosphere (one said we should do this every month!!). Plus the location is great for meeting City and Marin/ Sonoma friends. See you next year (or sooner) with another group (6-12). PS. Service is fabulous; helpful, friendly, and attentive!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- dinnerGuteelternVIPDined on 10/2/2014I live 54 years near San Francisco and for the first time we could sit outside to eat. It was wonderful.Special Features:
- Excellent serviceTanyezeDined on 9/30/2014My waitress Alicia gave us an outstanding service. The food was really good. I'll come back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- VisitorDined on 9/20/2014food was fine and came out in a timely manner. however the waitperson was often away in other areas and we needed to flag other servers in our area to order,etc. noise level was a bit high but conversations could be understood at our table of 5 without difficulty.Special Features:
- Excellent Tapas!!AmyTDined on 9/19/2014Extremely tasty, elegant tapas dishes to love! Especially the seafood dishes. Atmosphere is very nice, with covered patio, and great service.Special Features:
- Excellent Spanish foodOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 9/17/2014B44 place stands out as one of the few I would call fit for foodies in the FiDi at this price range. Before I tried it, I already loved Barlata in Oakland. Then I discovered they have the same owners. The food is just as good, but B44 has the ambiance needed for the FiDi, whereas Barlata is more casual (as expected on Telegraph). Bottom line...it's a great restaurant. The best on Belden too, IMO. And as good as or maybe better than Gitane, although I really like Gitane too, but Gitane has a different feel (much more formal, less outdoor seating).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- rare , cozy and yummyOman5Dined on 9/10/2014They serve authentic Catalan dishes, such as black ink (of squid) pallella and white anchovy salad with pear, as well as goat cheese flan for dessert. They are all mouth wateringly yummy . Wait people are bubbly and cheerly with no attitude which is quite refreshing and pleasant.Special Features:
- True CatalanstettyDined on 9/5/2014After living in Catalunya for some years, it is so refreshing to find TRUE catalan food. Most americans associate Paella w/ Spanish food, however it is more common in Southern Spain. There is Paella on the menu, however we ordered everything else and it definitely transported me back. The restaurant is set in an alleyway filled with a lot of restaurants crowded together and spilling into the street, it's like your transported into Europe. A very fun scene!Special Features:
- Good bar, lousy foodhumananimalVIPDined on 8/30/2014Drinks were great, the food...not so much. I had huge hope for a paella, rich in saffron, teaming with fresh fish, etc. and what we got was not so much. If you come here, go for the drinks and don't expect to be wowed by the food. Cheers.Special Features:
- nice findbecky22Dined on 8/30/2014Ended up here one Saturday on a trip to the city. Good food, good unobtrusive service, overall a nice vibe. I'd come here again. Really want to try the paella.Special Features:
- SeatingPeteVIPDined on 8/23/2014The food was wonderful, service superb, great ambience....but those chairs are SO uncomfortable!Special Features:
- New find!Bdayfoodiegroup71Dined on 8/23/2014This place was recommended by my daughter for an after show dining experience for our group of friends. We enjoyed the place and esp the food. We will most likely return to try the other items on the menu.Special Features:
- Fun place, excellent food!BenGDined on 8/22/2014Excellent food, great menu and wine. Waitress was very knowledgeable and had great food suggestions. staff seemed highly motivated to please. Inside was a bit louder then the average restaraunt. Outside searing is nice under heat lamps. Colorful interior.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyable Sat NightFoodTravellerDined on 8/16/2014We were in San Fran this past weekend and ate at B44 on Sat night, thoroughly enjoyed B44... everything from the quaint alley it is located down to the sangria and serving staff. Food was tasty and well seasoned (didn't have the paella though... only two of us and wanted to have some tapas). Will try to visit again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MehOishiiDined on 8/15/2014No bad, not great. Have the beet salad, ceviche, and the paella B44. The salad and ceviche rocked! The paella was mediocre, at best.
- Taste of SpainBirthdaymeVIPDined on 8/15/2014B44 took me back to my wonderful travels of Spain. The first positive impression occurred as I walked down the alley way which housed multiple choices of restaurants. It reminded me of the alley ways in Spain and other areas in Europe. The first plate of cheeses was a delicacy. The plates were not too small and not too big for the happy hour price. I will return to this restaurant as often as possible to bring back my memories of Spain and make new memories at this eatery.Special Features:
- Food was excellentMilaDined on 8/9/2014The Tapas and Pallas are great and with big selection.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MferVIPDined on 8/5/2014Paellas a plenty. We had 3 and loved them all. The cocktails had a nice spin to them Esp the gazpacho Bloody Mary. Can't wait to go back. Also the sangria was tastySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 1088 reviews are from the B44 reviews archive.
- Food reviewTjc88Dined on 7/26/2014The paella was pretty decent but not something extraordinary.the pan con tomate was not that hood i had better jamon serrano and there was not enough tomato in the bread.the salad was relatively "poor" but still edible.i was very dissapointed by the pulpo a la gallega very small portion and not served in the traditional way.the crema catalana was very good.Special Features:
- The PaellaPaellaDined on 7/25/2014It was our first time dining at this restaurant and we love the paella the ambient was wonderful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Reminded us of SpainMJFoodieDined on 7/20/2014We thoroughly enjoyed our meal at B44. We were happy to find that the little restaurant was tucked away in a small street, and had the option of dining under the canopy outside. We started with tapas - shrimp & scallops in romesco sauce, crab-stuffed peppers, and lamb brochettes. All were delicious. Next, we shared the paella barceloneta. It reminded us of the paella we had in Barcelona last summer. Loved it! The servers were even gracious enough to allow us to practice our limited Spanish with them. We would go back if we found ourselves in SF again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- CliffVIPDined on 7/18/2014It was my first time going, others who I was with had been before. It was a great late night find for us. The food was really good and we enjoyed ourselves the whole night.Special Features:
- good food no so good Sangriafoodie2VIPDined on 7/18/2014This was my first experience at B44 in the French Quarters. I enjoyed all the flavors of the food and all of the suggested items from our waiter were wonderful. I was disappointed in their Sangria! Pictures of dessert online were not available, we were told what is shown online is seasonal and pictures need to be updated.Special Features:
- Wonderful night out!LisaVIPDined on 7/12/2014Really felt like we were back in Barcelona, which is where our charming waiter was from. Loved the cheese platter and the seafood paella and Spanish wine. Will definitely go back, next time bringing several friends with us.Special Features:
- Good experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/8/2014What I liked most was the quality of food we were served. Also I have to thank the treatment received was professional and caring simultaneouslySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- CatalunyazorroVIPDined on 7/3/2014My s.o. had lived in spain and explained the subtleties of theCatalunyan food. We were delighted with dinner and will return again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/2/2014Great area - felt like we were on a small European street cafe! Great foodSpecial Features:
- Delicious tapasPrairieJaneDined on 6/28/2014I was a little worried when I discovered B44 is located in, essentially, an alley full of restaurants, but my concerns were baseless. Although there are no views of the city, the area manages to be quaint. The service was outstanding. We enjoyed both the red and the white sangria. The iberico ham was divine and all the tapas (meat and veggie) we sampled were outstanding. Very authentic Catalan dining experience - my dining companion who as traveled to Barcelona said all that was missing was a view of the water. A little pricey but a decent value for SF/Union Square. An easy walk from the Montgomery St. BART station.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very fun, authentic Tapas House!AndiODined on 6/27/2014This restaurant was one I never would have found had I not gone thru Open Table. It is located in an alley with other restaurants, and had a very fun atmosphere. The food was exquisite, authentic, and perfectly marinated and prepared. The server was friendly and prompt, and everybody enjoyed the tapas dishes we ordered for the table. We had a group of six, so the noisy atmosphere made it hard to talk, but we all had fun and everybody enjoyed our experience there. I did not like the spicy Bloody Mary I ordered (worst I have ever had), but the others had wine and liked it. But, we were there mostly to eat and not for the alcohol. I will definitely come back when in the area.Special Features: