44 Belden Place
San Francisco, CA 94104Neighborhood:
Downtown / Union Square
SpanishPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.b44sf.com/
- Phone: 4159866287
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:30pm; Dinner: Monday - Sunday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Spanish, Tapas / Small Plates
- Executive Chef: Daniel Olivella
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, BYO Liquor, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Buy outs are available. Please contact the restaurant for more details.
- Private Party Contact: Jordi Olivella 4155356335
A word from B44
B44 features a full bar, heated terrace seating with lamps and a canopy. There is bistro style seating.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
B44 reviews from OpenTable diners
104 reviews since May 5, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (58)fit for foodies (50)good for groups (39)neighborhood gem (35)romantic (26)great for lunch (19)special occasion (18)notable wine list (14)hot spot (13)vibrant bar scene (12)late-night find (9)kid-friendly (7)great for brunch (4)scenic view (2)Show More
- Good bar, lousy foodhumananimalVIPDined on 8/30/2014Drinks were great, the food...not so much. I had huge hope for a paella, rich in saffron, teaming with fresh fish, etc. and what we got was not so much. If you come here, go for the drinks and don't expect to be wowed by the food. Cheers.Special Features:
- nice findbecky22Dined on 8/30/2014Ended up here one Saturday on a trip to the city. Good food, good unobtrusive service, overall a nice vibe. I'd come here again. Really want to try the paella.Special Features:
- SeatingPeteVIPDined on 8/23/2014The food was wonderful, service superb, great ambience....but those chairs are SO uncomfortable!Special Features:
- New find!Bdayfoodiegroup71Dined on 8/23/2014This place was recommended by my daughter for an after show dining experience for our group of friends. We enjoyed the place and esp the food. We will most likely return to try the other items on the menu.Special Features:
- Fun place, excellent food!BenGDined on 8/22/2014Excellent food, great menu and wine. Waitress was very knowledgeable and had great food suggestions. staff seemed highly motivated to please. Inside was a bit louder then the average restaraunt. Outside searing is nice under heat lamps. Colorful interior.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyable Sat NightFoodTravellerDined on 8/16/2014We were in San Fran this past weekend and ate at B44 on Sat night, thoroughly enjoyed B44... everything from the quaint alley it is located down to the sangria and serving staff. Food was tasty and well seasoned (didn't have the paella though... only two of us and wanted to have some tapas). Will try to visit again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MehOishiiDined on 8/15/2014No bad, not great. Have the beet salad, ceviche, and the paella B44. The salad and ceviche rocked! The paella was mediocre, at best.
- Taste of SpainBirthdaymeVIPDined on 8/15/2014B44 took me back to my wonderful travels of Spain. The first positive impression occurred as I walked down the alley way which housed multiple choices of restaurants. It reminded me of the alley ways in Spain and other areas in Europe. The first plate of cheeses was a delicacy. The plates were not too small and not too big for the happy hour price. I will return to this restaurant as often as possible to bring back my memories of Spain and make new memories at this eatery.Special Features:
- Food was excellentMilaDined on 8/9/2014The Tapas and Pallas are great and with big selection.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MferVIPDined on 8/5/2014Paellas a plenty. We had 3 and loved them all. The cocktails had a nice spin to them Esp the gazpacho Bloody Mary. Can't wait to go back. Also the sangria was tastySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food reviewTjc88Dined on 7/26/2014The paella was pretty decent but not something extraordinary.the pan con tomate was not that hood i had better jamon serrano and there was not enough tomato in the bread.the salad was relatively "poor" but still edible.i was very dissapointed by the pulpo a la gallega very small portion and not served in the traditional way.the crema catalana was very good.Special Features:
- The PaellaPaellaDined on 7/25/2014It was our first time dining at this restaurant and we love the paella the ambient was wonderful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Reminded us of SpainMJFoodieDined on 7/20/2014We thoroughly enjoyed our meal at B44. We were happy to find that the little restaurant was tucked away in a small street, and had the option of dining under the canopy outside. We started with tapas - shrimp & scallops in romesco sauce, crab-stuffed peppers, and lamb brochettes. All were delicious. Next, we shared the paella barceloneta. It reminded us of the paella we had in Barcelona last summer. Loved it! The servers were even gracious enough to allow us to practice our limited Spanish with them. We would go back if we found ourselves in SF again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- CliffVIPDined on 7/18/2014It was my first time going, others who I was with had been before. It was a great late night find for us. The food was really good and we enjoyed ourselves the whole night.Special Features:
- good food no so good Sangriafoodie2Dined on 7/18/2014This was my first experience at B44 in the French Quarters. I enjoyed all the flavors of the food and all of the suggested items from our waiter were wonderful. I was disappointed in their Sangria! Pictures of dessert online were not available, we were told what is shown online is seasonal and pictures need to be updated.Special Features:
- Wonderful night out!LisaVIPDined on 7/12/2014Really felt like we were back in Barcelona, which is where our charming waiter was from. Loved the cheese platter and the seafood paella and Spanish wine. Will definitely go back, next time bringing several friends with us.Special Features:
- Good experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/8/2014What I liked most was the quality of food we were served. Also I have to thank the treatment received was professional and caring simultaneouslySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- CatalunyazorroVIPDined on 7/3/2014My s.o. had lived in spain and explained the subtleties of theCatalunyan food. We were delighted with dinner and will return again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/2/2014Great area - felt like we were on a small European street cafe! Great foodSpecial Features:
- Delicious tapasPrairieJaneDined on 6/28/2014I was a little worried when I discovered B44 is located in, essentially, an alley full of restaurants, but my concerns were baseless. Although there are no views of the city, the area manages to be quaint. The service was outstanding. We enjoyed both the red and the white sangria. The iberico ham was divine and all the tapas (meat and veggie) we sampled were outstanding. Very authentic Catalan dining experience - my dining companion who as traveled to Barcelona said all that was missing was a view of the water. A little pricey but a decent value for SF/Union Square. An easy walk from the Montgomery St. BART station.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very fun, authentic Tapas House!AndiODined on 6/27/2014This restaurant was one I never would have found had I not gone thru Open Table. It is located in an alley with other restaurants, and had a very fun atmosphere. The food was exquisite, authentic, and perfectly marinated and prepared. The server was friendly and prompt, and everybody enjoyed the tapas dishes we ordered for the table. We had a group of six, so the noisy atmosphere made it hard to talk, but we all had fun and everybody enjoyed our experience there. I did not like the spicy Bloody Mary I ordered (worst I have ever had), but the others had wine and liked it. But, we were there mostly to eat and not for the alcohol. I will definitely come back when in the area.Special Features:
- Like a mini trip to BarcelonaJohnKVIPDined on 6/23/2014We were looking for an exceptional spot which reminded us of being in Barcelona. B44 was definitely the right choice. We started with a pair of Tapas plates, first the Catalan toast with Iberico Ham and followed with the piquillo peppers filled with crab meat. Both were excellent. Our main course was the Paella B44. It was incredible. We finished the meal with the Churros and chocolate - amazing. Outdoor seating is plentiful and the wait staff is genuinely from Spain.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We Love Tapas!FresnoFoodieDined on 6/21/2014The tapas menu at B44 was authentic and the wine selection was generous. Loved the little alley way ambiance...lots of character. Was a little disappointed with the paella...wasn't seasoned as well as I had hoped but the management did a great job making sure that I didn't inadvertently get a 'mollusk' (clam, mussel, etc.) of which I'm deathly allergic to. We ordered cocktails, several courses, a bottle of wine+ and let the server know we wanted to take things in phases. Once the crowd died down, our server was MIA however since we were one of two parties left on the patio. He never showed up again to offer dessert. Had to find him to get our check. Would go back but will dine inside to get attentive service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful tapasSammDined on 6/21/2014Loved the ahi tuna, rare, with the lentils hiding the awesome avocado. It was divine!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Some good food - mediocre drinkscalvesDined on 6/20/2014Maybe it's more of a wine place (we were just having cocktails and tapas). The garlic chicken was really good - octopus was overcooked and calamari was nothing special. Decent service but I was disappointed when the plates that the server recommended were lackluster. Overall, good for a guaranteed reservation on Friday for happy hour, but otherwise there are many better places.
- Good location, terrible foodSDFamilyof5Dined on 6/18/2014I came here for a business lunch. I chose it primarily for the location, but I also checked the other reviews to make sure the food would be good. While the location relative to the financial district is great, the food was terrible. I had the roasted sea bass, and it was the worst sea bass I've ever had. It was so overcooked that it was barely edible. And the rice that came with the sea bass was like glue. The food was so bad that it's not even worth giving this restaurant a second chance.
- Nice but not greatLvB60Dined on 6/15/2014Very nice atmosphere and service, wine (from Navarra) very good, food nothing special. Paellas are small and were slightly dry/overcooked.Special Features:
- best dish was the mushroomsFoodieSFDined on 6/14/2014We liked all our food, but the only GREAT dish was a mushroom appetizer that apparently only came with the dine about town menu. Although service was good, food was decent overall and it's fun to sit outside on Belden Place, I wouldn't go out of my way to come back.Special Features:
- Tapas TapasFoooodDined on 6/11/2014Purely amazing food great wine selection excellent staffSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Go for the 'Belden Lane' experiencesaffafoodieVIPDined on 6/11/2014Underwhelming. To be fair, I think the restaurant was understaffed on the day we had lunch there. Regardless: they should not only rely on being in the popular 'Belden Lane' for business. Food was below par given other Spanish restaurants in SF. Calamari was overcooked and tasted burnt. Service was extraordinarily inattentive and slow (we did sit inside on a sunny day an apparently there were several larger and more demanding parties who were lunching outside...). I probably won't be back any time soon. Garlic prawns were good. Coffee was good.Special Features:
- Great venue for outdoor dining.JoeShanghaiVIPDined on 6/8/2014I frequent Belden Place when the weather will allow for it. San Francisco does not have enough patio dining which is unfortunate. B44 has great tasting food, friendly waitstaff. But I only gave it three stars for food mainly because of the value. It's a tapas style restaurant and I think the portions are great for sharing, but a bit pricey for what you get. The paella was cooked well, but our pan of B44 paella came with two shrimp, two mussels, and two clams. I think that's a bit skimpy for $24.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 6/7/2014Usually love this place but found the food quality a little wanting this time around. Our paella had hardly any meat in it and tasted somewhat "generic." Even the patatas bravas were lacking something. I would opt for going to Barlata or Duende (both closer to home) next time. Our waiter was great though!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Greatkel4Dined on 6/7/2014B44 is a great place for Spanish Tapas and Paella. We were a party of six and everyone raved about their meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very good restaurantGeorgeg634Dined on 6/6/2014Nice mix of ambience and food. Great paella, good service, nice decor. Would recommend for casual dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- This place is great!MyraVIPDined on 6/2/2014Go check it out any day of the week for brunch, lunch or dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Catalan restaurantmoluxsDined on 6/1/2014If you want to taste the Catalan cuisine, B44 is your place. Visca Catalunya!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- False advertisingluv2dineDined on 6/1/2014We made a SF Dine About Town reservation only to find out neither the waitress or manager was aware of this program has already started.Special Features:
- Great ServiceHeatherDined on 5/31/2014The food was just average. We started with the cheese plate and fried calamari, the paella with chicken, chorizo, and seafood for our main course. The cheese was great, and I would recommend it (however, some of the items they had to go with the cheese were not good pairings). The calamari was cooked ok- not really chewy- but you could tell they were using old oil to fry them. The paella was also ok- I don't have any complaints, but it didn't blow me away. However, the service was wonderful. And I am always willing to go back to some place with average food, but great service, since great service is so hard to find! Overall, it was an ok dinner food-wise with great service and I would recommend it (but don't have too high of expectations).Special Features:
- UnimpressedOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 5/28/2014Very blah food, very blah service. Not impressed at all. Steak tasted good but as for the rest of the food, not much comment.
- Celebrating our anniversaryFiveYearsDined on 5/19/2014This place was delicious, the stuffed calamari were great, the mussels were delightful and savory, and the B44 Paella reminded me of sitting in front of the Mediterrenean Sea in Barcelona and enjoying the waves crashing into the sand. Loved the dinner, not cheap, but what restaurant is cheap in San Francisco. I recommend this restaurant 100%. Oh, enjoy the pitcher of Sangria, damn great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.