50 Massachusetts Ave. NE
Washington, DC 20002Neighborhood:
CajunPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.bsmith.com/
- Phone: 2022896188
- Hours of Operation:
Mon-Thurs 11:30am - 10:00pm
Fri-Sat 11:30am - 11:00pm
Sun 11:00am - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Creole / Cajun / Southern, Comfort Food, Cajun
- Executive Chef: Karida Celestine
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: B.Smith's renowned Cajun, Creole and Southern fare is now available for off premise catered events. Please contact Dana Gasby at (202)289-6188 for details.
- Private Party Facilities: B. Smith's features American cuisine with a Southern flare. Located in Washington, DC's Union Station, B. Smith's grand Beaux Arts style dining room with its 30-foot ceilings, period chandeliers and turn of the century elegance, has been called one of the most beautiful dining rooms in America.
- Private Party Contact: Dana Gasby 8885704049
- Cross Street: North Capitol Street
- Public Transit: Take Washington DC's Metro Rail Red Line to Union Station. B.Smith's is located on the street level at the end of Union Station's East Hall. Union Station is also a major Amtrak, Metro Bus and taxicab hub.
- Parking: Private Lot
- Parking Details: For your convenience Union Station has an attached indoor parking garage. With a validated ticket you can park for 2 hours for only $1. Additional covered & street parking is available nearby.
A word from B. Smith's
B.Smith's Washington, DC Restaurant features a combination of Cajun, Creole and Southern cuisine. Located in Historic Union Station, B.Smith's grand Beaux Arts style dining room with its 30-foot ceilings, period chandeliers and turn of the century elegance, is recognized as a national landmark. The Grand Dining Room is known as one of the most beautiful dining rooms in America. Executive Chef Karida Celestine specialties of the house include our famous Swamp Thing - a mixed seafood dish over southern style greens in a Dijon mustard based sauce; Grilled Lamb Chops with sweet potato puree; Fried Green Tomatoes and Spicy Cajun Jambalaya. In its own separate space, the bar at B. Smith's serves as a gathering place for Washington's political movers and shakers, celebrities and people who just want to have a good time.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
B. Smith's reviews from OpenTable diners
- ReviewBrooklynDined on 9/12/2013This restaurant does not have a diverse selection for vegetarians. Also, a member of my party asked the waitress to put her mac and cheese on a side plate as she was going to give it to another member of our party. When the food arrived, the mac and cheese was under the fish she had ordered. I asked the server to please have our waitress come over to correct the problem - the waitress never came to our table. We proceeded with our meal and several times I asked different waiters and waitress to ask our waitress to come to our table and she never showed up until we were close to finishing our meal. I asked for the check, she gave me the bill. Granted I gave her $100.00 bill, but it should not have taken 25 minutes to bring me my change.
- A must on your visit to DC!Dineout5VIPDined on 8/31/2013This was my 3rd visit to DC, and 3rd time visiting B. Smith's....what does that tell you?! Each time the service, food, and ambiance were excellent. I call it a 'hidden gem' within Union Station, but probably not for the locals. On this visit, we took our 19-year old nephew, who was visiting DC for the first time....and he ate everything from the appetizer (Fried Green Tomatoes), to the mini cornbread muffins and Biscuits, and his entree (Lemon-pepper Catfish)! I enjoyed the 'Swamp Thing' dish, which was loaded with seafood, in an outstanding broth with collard greens 'in the mix'! The three of us (my husband, nephew and I) thoroughly enjoyed our meal!Special Features:
- Amazing anniversary dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 8/30/2013We had such a fabulous time at B Smith's this weekend. Not only was the food amazing, the service from Diane was over the top spectacular and she ensured that we had an amazing time. This is the perfect spot for a romantic evening!Special Features:
- The sevrice was bas persontonyDined on 8/30/2013The sevrice was bas person miss my order up twice and did not even say sorry for miss upSpecial Features:
- Delicious Birthday DinnerDineoutwithmeDined on 8/26/2013I took my husband to B. Smith's - Union Station restaurant for dinner to celebrate his birthday during our Washington, DC mini vacation. The food was outstanding and very filing! He enjoyed the "Swamp Thing" and I enjoyed the "Grilled Shrimp and Grits! For dessert we shared the Bread Pudding with vanilla ice cream. My husband is still telling me how he really enjoyed his meal. I must say, this is a winner and I would love to revisit this restaurant again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Still shinningcalifoodieDined on 8/24/2013I took a dear friend of mine (from California) to B. Smiths. It was a busy Saturday night as even I was running a little tardy for our 8pm reservation. It took over an hour for us to get our food, but there was a sincere apology as well as a complimentary appetizer from the manager as a token of good customer service. The food was outstanding! My compliments to the chef!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- B.Smith's Union StationFredyt3Dined on 8/24/2013We have visited B. Smith's before. This visit was okay, however the restaurant was lacking wait staff, as it appeared a hostess or perhaps a manager was waiting on us. It was obvious she had other duties to fulfill because we did not get the dedicated service you have come to expect at B. Smith's. The food was outstanding, however in addition to my wife and I, were brought two first-timers and they commented about the lack of service. Surely they will return but for that evening, it was below par.Special Features:
- Excellent Soul Food Creole twistrsylverDined on 8/24/2013B Smiths is a great place for dining while visiting the Nation's Capital. Great combination and fusion of two old southern style cuisines of traditional soul food and creole.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- disappointmentOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/24/2013Server forgot to bring out one of our orders. We had to ask for bread even though the table next to us got it, they arrived after us. Dining room was empty yet at 1pm I had to wait for 2 people in my party of 3 to arrive before being seated. I will tell everyone to avoid this place. Sorry Barb, get it together.
- Lunch ReviewBjM3dineDined on 8/24/2013The ambience was wonderful and noted by my lunch guest. The food was superb and was the correct temperature. The waiters were polite and attentive. Thank you for providing a great meeting atmosphere. -BjM-Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Friendly service. Lovely spotLaughingTravellerVIPDined on 8/23/2013Friendly service. Lovely spot - never know you were in Union Station. Food was average and acoustics make for a LOUD space, It's a good choice for aunion Staion - but otherwise venture over to the hill
- Overall experience was veryAllenDined on 8/23/2013Overall experience was very good. Menu offered a number of choices. Food was very good, but not outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Terribly Slow, Inattentive ServiceMsLizDined on 8/20/2013Lunch crowds at B. Smiths are usually business or government people trying to go to a nice lunch and get back to the office in less than an hour. Not only did it take 2 hours for three uncooked salads, but the service was TERRIBLE. I mean terrible...I dont think we will be back there anytime soon.
- Great BrunchmikeDined on 8/18/2013Great service, food was outstanding. Wait staff was attentive but not overbearing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- expensive for small portionsJohnDined on 8/17/2013The food was very good but $29 for shrimp and grits should yield you more than 4 shrimp. We all liked the food and the service but all thought the prices were high for the portion sizes. Why is the wine list scribbled on a piece of paper in the server's pocket and protected from you like it is a secret? I thought wine was a good profit item and they liked to sell it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Ambiance for Work and Playtunein2tdineVIPDined on 8/17/2013You would never know you were in the train station after walking into B. Smith's. Its decor exudes class, luxury, and quality. The service is 5-star with the waiters, porters, and hosts catering to your needs. The meal was absolutely delectable. You would never know that a down home southern meal was coming from the kitchen because it felt like we were really at the White House. A few friends of mine were there in a group in an enclosed transparent room and their noise was just undetectable for the peripheral diners. Class act!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice SurprisebrunchbunchDined on 8/16/2013If you are looking for some place nice for a surprise party, I highly recommend B Smith's. The reservation staff was great to work with, especially when we had a date change. The party went off without a hitch. The food was very good and the service was good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing!!spartyDined on 8/13/2013The food, staff, and service was some of the best I have ever experienced! Love seeing the historic architecture in the restaurant and the menu is phenomenal. I would recommend this restaurant to anyone. Perfectly seasoned....professional staff and easy to get to my metro.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food as always. TheyOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 8/12/2013Great food as always. They were re-doing their wine list so the selection was limited...only two chardonnays. I'm sure that will be corrected shortly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Family Reunion DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/9/2013At the last minute, I invited my family to B. Smith's restaurant. They were able to accommodate my family group of 8. The service was fine and the food was better but not as good as I remember it being.Special Features:
- luv2eatDCDined on 8/9/2013I loved the shrimp and grits! There was live piano playing. Waiters were very attentive. The inside of restaurant was very classy and antique looking. Great tourist location being in Union Station.Special Features:
- Not too hotFoodieDined on 8/9/2013This was my first time at this restaurant and let me start off by saying the customer service of the staff was exceptional. The restaurant is beautifully architectured with lots of history in each room. Unfortunately, the food was not good. I am a foodie that had high exceptations for this place with a special love for Cajun cuisine. I would only go back to this restaurant for a few drinks at happy hour but NO food.Special Features:
- A memorable experienceLikealotDined on 8/8/2013We had a great experience . We decided to take my wife to B Smith for her birthday. It was my youngest daughter's recommendation. Her mother would often comment that she would like to go back to B Smith's. We would eat their often when I spent more time in DC. We had an great time, food was excellent as always; service was first class. They added a number special touches to celebrate my wife birthday.She felt very special. We all had a memorable experience. I am only sorry that I had been away from B Smith's so long. I will not let that happen again!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I like B Smiths, but I doGoTotheArtandSoulDined on 8/8/2013I like B Smiths, but I do not agree with adding the tip into the bill. Tipping is not a RIGHT! Tips are earned. The servicer was ok, but did not deserve a $20.00 tip.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Over cooked and poor serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 8/7/2013My food was over cooked and the service was poor. We were one of only 3 tables occupied in the whole restaurant and the waitress was usually no where to be found. We had to flag down people to get service.
- Interesting dining experienceStrollerDined on 8/6/2013B Smith's restaurant menu has items on it that isn't usually found on a selection in Washington D.C. I've had the pleasure of eating there on several occasions and found the food taste to be consistently the same each time, so that can only mean they follow a strict cooking procedure. The portions are generous, the food is served hot, the wait staff are courteous, and the prices are reasonable. My husband and I completely enjoyed our dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not going there againnot2dineDined on 8/4/2013The food was not as good as it use to be and they need to do something about how they break down the bill
- Collard Greens, Gumbo, Mac & cheeseOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 8/3/2013this past weekend the food was horrible!!! The greens, mac and cheese, and gumbo was bad. I plan to go back but definitely will stay away from the ones I mentioned.
- Good for a special occasion.TonyDined on 8/3/2013Good for a special occasion. Food was good. Very flavorful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Voluptuous LunchMsMBDined on 8/3/2013Convenient location, lovely, historic setting. Our waiter was friendly, helpful without being obtrusive, and knowledgeable about the menu and that part of the building. The fried green tomatoes were divine. I ordered the fried fish platter special, and enjoyed every morsel. My friend found the gumbo and the House Salad with shrimp added very delicious. B. Smith's is my GoTo spot for a late afternoon lunch when I'm in townSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Still a great place for food.OpenTable Diner Since 2002Dined on 8/2/2013I hadn't been in awhile and was still very pleased with the service and food. The only issue we had was it was warm in the restaurant and we were uncomfortable. Food was great!Special Features:
- Meet here for business???SienaItalyVIPDined on 8/1/2013The restaurant would not seat me until the rest of my party that was coming from Amtrak was there. I will not use this restaurant for business again. Once they allowed us to be seated the food was OK and teh service was very good.
- Date Night with the HubbyInquiZitiveDined on 7/31/2013We've been to B. Smith's in New York and since we live in Woodbridge, VA we decided to come on up to D.C. to check out this location. The food was impeccable! The service was great!! The ambiance was quiet and intimate even though the dining area was massive. There was a piano player who had us swaying at our seats! It was a great experience. We are scheduling a couple's date night with our married friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cold buffet foodSweet2SaltyDined on 7/28/2013The menu was a great choice except the food was cold and the collard greens was not properly cooked.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A classicOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/28/2013Not to be missed when visiting DC. A classic, historical setting in Union Station and a unique menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Date Night DinnerDeniseMarieDined on 7/27/2013My husband and I were visiting from Philadelphia and wanted a really good dinner without spending a lot of money. This spot was great and located in walking distance from our hotel in Union Station.The food was delicious, ambience was great, and our server delivered excellent customer service. They say attire is casual elegance, so I went home and changed out of my tube top and flip flops (glad I did!). You won't be disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- B. Smith's is over the topcsipwdcDined on 7/27/2013Our group of students and adults thoroughly enjoyed our evening at B. Smith's. The service from the time that we entered was excellent. The ambiaunce and atmosphere was superb and the food was amazing. I would highly reccomend B. Smith's and will definitely return myself.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bravo B SmithsNiqueDined on 7/27/2013My husband and I were looking for a romantic night on the town without the kids as well as a delicious meal. We found just that at your restaurant. The "Swamp Thing" and bread pudding was very delicious and filling. Your wait staff treated us like royalty. They were very attentive from the time of our arrival until departure. The beauty of the restaurant only added to the wonderful experience. Your restaurant is ideally located where we were able to take a bus tour of the city at night after dining without feeling rushed because our pickup point was just outside of the restaurant. I would definitely recommend this restaurant to family and friends who are seeking an upscale and classy dining experience.Special Features:
- Great for business lunchOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 7/26/2013B. Smith's is a great spot for a business lunch. Food is great, service is good, table spacing and atmosphere allow for private conversation. Fried green tomatoes and catfish fingers continue to be my favorites. If you need some comfort food, the ever-present "Swamp Thing" will warm and fill you!Special Features:
- Gem in Union StationJenfromAthensGADined on 7/24/2013Great Southern cuisine (coming from a southerner). Loved the catfish fingers, fried green tomatoes and hushpuppies. Definitely would go back.Special Features: