240 East 75th Street
New York, NY 10021Neighborhood:
Upper East Side
BelgianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Phone: 2122493300
- Hours of Operation:
Hours: Brunch: Saturday - Sunday: 11:00am - 4:00pm Dinner: Sunday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: European, Belgian
- Executive Chef: John Rees/chef co owner
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Cafe, Full Bar, Weekend Brunch
A word from B. Cafe
RUSTIC BELGIAN EXPERIENCE WITH UPPER EAST SIDE FLAVOR *Over 30 Artisan Belgian Beers* Looking for an assortment of Belgian style Moules Frites, accompanied by an impressive beer list? Come visit us at B.Cafe. This new cozy beer lovers' paradise fulfills your cravings for good homemade Belgian food, as well as artisan and trappiste beer in a rustic setting. Begin your Belgian journey in Bruges with scrumptious Tuna Tartare, Croquettes de Crevettes (North Sea grey shrimp) or Bitter Ballen (pan seared Belgian meatballs with Dijon sauce). Follow your trail to Brussels with Moules Frites, Duvel Carbonade (beer sunken beef stew), Waterzooi (creamy chicken with vegetables) & juicy Belgian Steak Frites. And don't forget to take advantage of our large selection of more than 30 beers to complement your palate. But what would a trip to B.Cafe be without a sweet plunge into some of our homemade waffles or melting Belgian chocolate cake? Come & experience "made in Belgium" gastronomy!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
B. Cafe reviews from OpenTable diners
68 reviews since June 27, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (44)great for outdoor dining (37)great for brunch (24)fit for foodies (21)romantic (13)great for lunch (9)good for groups (6)late-night find (5)special occasion (4)vibrant bar scene (3)kid-friendly (3)hot spot (2)notable wine list (2)Show More
- charleneVIPDined on 10/17/2014This is a nice neighborhood place with a great beer selection. We didn't have wine so I can't comment on that. The good was good, not special but certainly better than average. We would return next time we are in that neighborhoodSpecial Features:
- Neighborhood prizeSkyelementVIPDined on 10/12/2014Decent food at a decent price and a friendly bar whose house wines are a cut above make this attractive restaurant a great place to either dine or "hang out." The staff is friendly and attentive and the menu is distinctively Belgian with American overtones. Only downside: though the restaurant is attractive, it's a little too noisy to be intimate.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely garden setup, delicious foodLoveNYCVIPDined on 10/9/2014B. Café is one of our go-to places on the Upper East Side. The menu, which features nightly specials, is always reliable. My particular favorite is their roasted chicken with capers, olives and lemon - yum! The frites, which come with 3 separate dipping sauces, are also delightful. The portions can be generous, but you can always wrap up the leftovers - a favorite for our daughter who takes them to work for lunch. The garden, in appropriate weather, is really nice and quiet. The wait staff are unfailingly attentive and the beer selection (as one would hope) is extensive. Try the tasting options for something a little different.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sweet casual spotGactDined on 10/9/2014Great Belgian beer and food selection with attentive staff and laid back atmosphere.Special Features:
- Belgian standoutmidtownVIPDined on 10/5/2014I checked the notable wine list because there is no option for notable beer list. The food here is pretty good, but it plays second fiddle to the beer list. There are ales, lambics and more, much more. I've never counted but 50 or more would seem like a good guess. Bottoms up!Special Features:
- cozy neighborhood spot!UESgalVIPDined on 9/21/2014Fresh mussels, simply done with fresh herbs and crispy fries. There are other things on the menu but I come for the mussels!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- lovely surpriseOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 9/20/2014Discovered this when visiting from out of town and needed to be at an event in the area. A true bistro with the best moules frites! Excellent service. And reasonably priced.Special Features:
- Jumpin' Bar - food gets a "meh"OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/19/2014Very surprised that the moules mariniere (mussels) could be so tasteless. This Belgian staple was totally bland. The moules provencale were only slightly better. The pork tenderloin on the other hand was great. Very disappointed in the food. Service was excellent. Bar and restaurant were packed to capacity.Special Features:
- Belgian beautyMericVIPDined on 9/11/2014Great spot to enjoy terrific Belgian cuisine including great mussels in several different preparations,,steak,,fish,and wonderful desserts..always a joy to dine here..tables can be tight..noises on Friday and Saturday..nice garden in rear,,dining possible there as well.Special Features:
- Great brunchJasonVIPDined on 8/31/2014Was a great last-minute find for brunch on a busy holiday weekend. Every dish that buzzed past our table was incredibly enticing. Great portions, quality brunch staples (eggs, pancakes, omlettes, b'fast sandwiches)...plus great Belgian fare including sweet and savory waffles...and plenty of cocktails and Belgian beers. Will def be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent bistro.Fanny526Dined on 8/27/2014B Cafe is a small intimate cafe with delicious food. Staff is friendly and service is excellent. Great little restaurant in a neighborhood setting.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food and AtmosphereJMNyCDined on 8/22/2014Had a lot of fun here. Love sitting outside. Skirt steak was delicious. Friend loved Steak Fritte. Mussels were excellent.Special Features:
- JanetVIPDined on 8/19/2014Comme d'habitude it was excellent . We always get moule et frites.Special Features:
- BorisNYCVIPDined on 8/17/2014Good food, pretty solid. The food certainly makes it worth visiting. The service needs improvement and management's attention, though. It's not that it's utterly bad, but it certainly doesn't live up to the price level. If B. Cafe wants to compete with the likes of D'Alsace and such, it needs to up its service game significantly. A smile and no-attitude go along way in winning repeat customers...Special Features:
- Perfect Brunch SpotJanet126Dined on 8/17/2014What a great find! Excellent beer and bar selection. Terrific menu. Outstanding value. (I didn't know there was still $3. cup of coffee left in NYC.) Best of all, the garden was just ideal for a weekend afternoon catch-up with friends.Special Features:
- We love the Belgian beerOutstandingDined on 8/15/2014outstanding service, I had the lentil soup and then scallops, a wonderful restaurant, if we lived in the City I would go there once a weekSpecial Features:
- TeacatDined on 8/13/2014The waiter couldn't figure out who ordered what, so confused. I ordered the beef stew which came in a glob of navy sauce and the meat was obviously frozen and then micowaved, so trashy and the vegetables were no where to be found. The 'frites' arrived when I was half way through trying to eat the mush. We'll only go back for a drink if at all.Special Features:
- Very good vibePoetessDined on 8/9/2014I've dined there three times and have always enjoyed the food and service. My companion and I chose to share the Madrid mussels, the skirt steak, and the pear tart. The frites that accompanied the mussels were the best I've had lately, the steak was done perfectly and the pear tart was a welcome change from the usual apple choice. The service was friendly and attentive. We appreciated the relaxed atmosphere and will return soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great neighborhood spotFoodfun27VIPDined on 8/3/2014Perfect for beer lovers with very good bistro food.Special Features:
- Great for brunchbigfoodieDined on 8/3/2014Came here for brunch and the food was quite good. Frites that came with the meal was a bit hard, though the individual frites order looked better for the table next to us. Overall it was enjoyable, and the waffles were good!Special Features:
- Best Belgium cafe in townauthorNYDined on 7/27/2014We love Belgian beer after a trip to Brugge and the moule after a trip to Brussel. If you share our feelings, then, this is the finest place for you! Not only is the food and beer very good, the wait staff and manager are top drawer.Special Features:
- JaneVIPDined on 7/26/2014We enjoyed our meal but forgot to request outdoor dining and was disappointed that we could not be accommodated.Special Features:
- Belgian gemEa1952VIPDined on 7/25/2014A unique restaurant,felt like we were in Europe. Tremendous array of beers, French spoken and food interesting and good. Mussels a bit overcooked,bit all in all very nice.Special Features:
- NEVER DISAPPOINTSJeffreyGLVIPDined on 7/24/2014Every friend to whom I have introduced B Cafe has loved it.Special Features:
- Outdoor PatioJeffGVIPDined on 7/19/2014If you get a chance, the outdoor patio is a wonderful dining experience. It is quiet and pleasant. The garden and trees make it feel like summer. The service is excellent and the food very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nothing SpecialGatorDiningVIPDined on 7/18/2014Went for dinner had the grilled calamari appetizer, chicken stew, and fisherman gratin. The grilled calamari appetizer was great, but the chicken stew really wasn't a stew at all. It was large pieces of roasted chicken in a bland cream… it needed salt badly. The fisherman gratin was also good, but not great. Service was prompt and responsive.Special Features:
- LovelytheirfanVIPDined on 7/14/2014Food consistently good! Waffles are amazing-dont forget to try themSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 7/9/2014WAY TOO HOT. they leave the patio door open in summer so even if they have the a/c going (which seemed to be barely on), you sit there about to pass out so can barely enjoy the food. i asked them several times to turn up the A/C or close the door but they did not and basically just told me to deal with it. the meatballs are disgusting. other stuff is decent. the cheese croquettes with bechamel sauce are delicious. however, i would not go back there in the summer because i was dripping sweat into my food.Special Features:
- Sweet little spotKateCVIPDined on 6/29/2014My mom and I came here for brunch this past Sunday and sat in the outdoor garden area (which was nice and shady!). Food and drinks were delicious (I got the Eggs Florentine and Iced café latte). Only hesitation was the service was a bit slow, but our waitress was accommodating and brought us bread when we requested it. Overall, I'd recommend it. Nice little hideaway.Special Features:
- Great Outdoor SettingHowGeeDined on 6/27/2014Went there on a Friday evening. Sat outside on a rather enjoyable patio, on a splendid warm night. The setting was fantastic - one of the best patios I've seen on the UES. However, the food left a bit to be desired. We had the Moules Provencale and Moules Mariniere. The dishes (or pots, rather) were quite large. However, the mussels tasted pretty dry. They might have been overcooked. The frites, on the other hand, were perfectly fried and tasty. One odd thing to note: when we got there, only inside tables were available. They said they couldn't get us started inside, then move outside once a table opened up there. We had to wait at the bar until something outside opened up.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 461 reviews are from the B. Cafe reviews archive.
- FoodieDined on 6/22/2014I loved having brunch in the garden. It was much quieter than inside the restaurant and the atmosphere was great. It was perfect for catching up with a friend. The food and service were very good. I've had dinner inside the restaurant and have found it to be quite good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Brava B. Cafe!BestFFDined on 6/14/2014Word of mouth had it that B. Café was best-known for Belgian beer and moules frites. Our need was for brunch, however. We were immediately delighted with this bistro's charming wood paneled interior, a garden dining option, and the cheery welcome of an efficient staff. Better yet, the food turned out to be delicious. We opted for classic brunch fare: eggs benedict, French toast (served on brioche with fresh berries, whipped cream and maple syrup), and a sirloin steak sandwich on baguette, garnished with onions, tomatoes, caper-mayonnaise, and crispy frites. All agreed B. Café would be put on our list for a return engagement--next time, perhaps, we'll sample some traditional Belgian dishes.Special Features:
- Good, but could have been betterKayPDined on 6/10/2014Went here the other night with a group. We were not in a rush, but we didn't go in expecting a nearly three-hour ordeal. First, we had a reservation, but still had to wait over 30 minutes to be seated. Then, when we did sit down, the restaurant was out of nearly 10 different items from the menu, so figuring out what to order happened in fits and starts. And finally, it took them a long time to get our food prepared and delivered to the table. I like the food and beer selection here, but be prepared for a lengthy dinner and laidback approach to service, especially if you go with more than a couple of other people.
- would go back for the mussels!MICHI1VIPDined on 6/9/2014The food was great! the waitress had an attitude that we did not appreciate! she was curt and inattentive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- B Cafe EastMoneyDined on 5/27/2014Had dinner with friends on Tuesday evening at the B Cafe. Have frequented the restaurant several times when in Manhattan. It's a wonderful place. My only complaint this visit - it was very warm outside and inside the restaurant. There was no air-conditioning so it was a little uncomfortable. Othewise, a nice dining experience. Good food, good wine, good beer, good time!Special Features:
- Mag526Dined on 5/17/2014Amazing food from an awesome server who, while extremely busy, still made us feel like she had time for us. Will definitely visit again when we are back in NYC!Special Features:
- Great Belgian Moules Frites & BeerdrronDined on 5/14/2014Lovely restaurant. Great food. Wonderful service. Highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent DinnerLearnedHand78Dined on 5/11/2014I recently came here for mother's day dinner. Absolutely a great find. Food was delicious and the ambience was nice. Service a little slow only because there was one waitress, but it was a great experience. The croquettes were crispy on the outside and super gooey on the inside. The pate was nice and refreshing. My part had the meatballs, beef stew, and the grilled hanger steak. All were fantastic. We will definitely be coming back.Special Features:
- Great beers, great foodpeterwVIPDined on 5/9/2014Have been to B Cafe many times, and always enjoy. Great selection of beers on tap, unbelievable selection in bottles. Brought friends, their first time, they loved it also.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good and reliableDanielleP143VIPDined on 5/4/2014Always a good spot-and something for everyone. Also SO appreciate that they always accommodate my friends with strollers!Special Features: