B. Cafe West
566 Amsterdam Avenue
New York, NY 10024Neighborhood:
Upper West Side
BelgianPrice: $30 and under
B. Cafe West
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://bcafe.com/
- Phone: (212) 873-0003
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Saturday - Sunday: 10:00am - 4:00pm; Dinner: Sunday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 12:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: European, Belgian
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Delivery, Full Bar, Takeout, Weekend Brunch
A word from B. Cafe West
B. Cafe West brings the sophistication and tradition of Belgian cuisine to uptown Manhattan. With an array of customary Belgian dishes, along with the largest selection of Belgian beers in New York City with our unique selection of draft and bottled beers, we aim to bring the essence of Belgium stateside through high quality, authentic cuisine and service. In addition to our famous Moules Frites (fresh mussels served with our signature fries), B. Cafe offers the best of Belgian cuisine - perhaps with a Gauffre De Bruxelles (Belgian waffle) from our brunch or dessert menu, our Steak Frite Belgique as a dinner entrée, or a Corsendonk Pale Ale to drink. B. Cafe welcomes you to join us in embracing the elegance and warmth of Belgium, right here in Manhattan.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
B. Cafe West reviews from OpenTable diners
41 reviews since July 29, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelEnergetic
neighborhood gem (29)fit for foodies (19)great for brunch (13)great for outdoor dining (10)vibrant bar scene (6)great for lunch (6)hot spot (5)romantic (5)kid-friendly (5)special occasion (4)notable wine list (3)late-night find (1)good for groups (1)Show More
- Autumn comfort food, Belgian-style!OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 11/15/2014With 2 locations on either side of the park, both Upper East Siders and Upper West Siders can conveniently get their Belgian bistro fix without taking one of the lethargic crosstown buses. As expected B.Cafe West did not disappoint. I recommend reservations as the place is small and it was crowded and bustling on the Saturday night I went for a date. Starting with their wide selection of specialty Belgian beers, I chose the Kasteel seasonal pumpkin ale which was light honey in color with a light foam layer on top, and smelled and tasted of delicious pumpkin spice and notes of vanilla. My date had a Hooegarden which was standard, hoppy and citrusy. On to the food. I had the Pâtes Fraîches de Linguini, which was basically a pasta primavera loaded with vegetables, including my favorite brussel sprouts, all cooked in a creamy pesto sauce. It was absolutely delicious but on the heavier side because of the cream and pasta combination. My date had the Carbonnades Flamandes, which was a traditional Belgian beef stew which was simmered in some sort of dark lager and came with a side order of Pommes Frites. The meat was tender, though not "falling off the bone", but the sauce flavor was hearty and outstanding. And the Pommes Frites were crispy on the outside, soft on the inside and had some sort of seasoning which staved off the need for dipping sauces although 3 were provided. By the end of the meal, we were sated and satisfied, which unfortunately left no room for dessert or even coffee. The service and efficiency was on point throughout the dining experience. Done in the likeness of its sister restaurant on the UES, B. Cafe West gets my rave review.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- B Cafe is a great findnewyorkmontereyDined on 11/2/2014I was surprised how good the burger was - they cooked it exactly to my specifications, which doesn't always happen. Bun was delish - i substituted salad for the fries (i did taste them and they were delish). My companion had Eggs Benedict which she said was heavenly. I liked the Belgian beers!!Special Features:
- The best beer selection ever!CynthiaDined on 10/25/2014We ce for the beer but really enjoyed the food as well. Very nice service; slightly hectic environment but really worth itSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a winnercasbarDined on 10/24/2014Excellent service, very good food and an amazing selection of beer. The only down side is the space is very small.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DINER BEWAREBW999VIPDined on 10/16/2014When a restaurant's signature dish relies on what's available in the market that day, and they cannot get quality product, they have an obligation to advise their customers. B Cafe has a full menu, but we -- and from a scan of the restaurant, most people -- go there for their mussels. On this night, the mussels were microscopic -- tiny, stringy, chewy bits that in no way constituted a meal. It was our bad that we didn't inquire before ordering, but that would have been like asking a steakhouse if their meat is any good. Had the server told us, we would have ordered something else. But he didn't, and we left feeling totally ripped off for having paid $22 each for French Fries, which, by the way, were very good.
- Tasty Belgian fareJMcWVIPDined on 10/11/2014The 4 of us shared a bucket of mussels. They were delicious and moist. The entrees were presented nicely and the portions were ample. This is the place to enjoy a large selection of Belgian beers as well. We found the servers to be most agreeable and polite.Special Features:
- Tight Quarters, Spotty ServicessbelltxVIPDined on 10/11/2014I had been to the east B Cafe and been very happy. This was not my finest night with this B Cafe. I will most likely never go west again. It was very tight and cramped and packed. Our service was not very good, we waited over 10mins on 2 occasions to get our server's attention. We tried to ask the hostess as she passed and she either didn't hear us (not likely) or ignored us. The food was ok. The croquettes were good, the steak was way over cooked as I had ordered it medium and there was not a bit of pink and was tough. The mac and cheese was fine but nothing to write home about. The bread pudding was the best thing we had!Special Features:
- FRANNYDined on 10/5/2014EVERYTHING WAS VERY GOOD. I WENT FOR BRUNCH AND WE ALL ENJOYED OUR FOOD.Special Features:
- best muscels and french friesFishesVIPDined on 9/20/2014we went with friends for dinner and it was a great experience. the food was very good, so was the service.Special Features:
- It ain't Belgium but it will do...rosarioishungryVIPDined on 9/19/2014I love the beer selection. My go to place when I am missing Belgium. The food is hit or miss. Wish the food was better/more consistent considering the prices. But more than anything, I just wish the MUSSELS were better. Honestly, how does a Belgian place screw up Mussels?! Subpar, over-cooked, sometimes funky mussels :-( Please pay your kitchen staff better so they have more pride in their work.Special Features:
- Excellent musselsstarpersonDined on 9/13/2014We ordered two appetizers and one order of moules frites and it was just the right amount for the two of us and quite cost effective to order that way. They have nice (but pricey) beer too. The food was tasty and the service very good. It is a noisy but fun atmosphere. Our table (near the back) was quite warm however.Special Features:
- Service Fantastic, Food AveragetheiofthestormVIPDined on 9/12/2014Our server was very friendly and efficient at B. Cafe. As far as the food went, my girlfriend found the pork a bit bland and I found the seasoning for the mussels too salty.Special Features:
- Need to get to Belgium Quick?OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/28/2014Need to get to Belgium Quick? Then come here! B.Cafe has delicious food and excellent beers from Belgium. If you can not get away to Brussels for the weekend this is a good substitute.Special Features:
- CwjeVIPDined on 8/24/2014excellent food and great service. Our server, George , was fabulous!Special Features:
- perfect...185WEADined on 8/13/2014... for when you need that mussels and beer with a side order of perfect frites. I can't bear to order anything else so others will have to investigate the rest of the menu.Special Features:
- MUSSELS!MarkyourwordsDined on 8/11/2014When I need a mussels fix, I make a reservation. But I must share that everyone I have taken to this restaurant has loved every dish. It is really a little gem.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 277 reviews are from the B. Cafe West reviews archive.
- Good neighborhood placePeconicDined on 7/24/2014This is a very pleasant place for dinner. The food is good, the beer is excellent, the service is good-if only the noise level were a little less energetic and the food a little less buttered, it would be perfect.Special Features:
- Moules frites and beer!MitchyMitchDined on 7/15/2014Fantastic mussels and strong Belgian beer list with a cozy and quaint atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not very goodOpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 7/9/2014It was a warm night and it felt hotter inside than outside. The food was mediocre at best. I ordered the moules frites, thinking that woul d be good since it's their specialty. I ordered the mussels with "provencale" sauce (white wine, garlic, tomatoes). The mussels were overlooked and the sauce, which should have been the best part to sop up with bread, had no flavor. The frites were burnt, probably the remains of a batch. Disappointing. Left hungry
- Food better than serviceNoFoLauraVIPDined on 6/29/2014Ate here before Shakespeare in the Park. Good food, huge portion - almost too big, and a nice location. Service was a bit off, and we had to ask our waiter to take our order, and a for a few other things even though he seemed to be on top of it all around us. He was often to be found standing at the bar watching the world cup. Go for the food, and not during a tournament.Special Features:
- Cannot recommendDinerDined on 6/25/2014We went there for the mussels. They were overcooked and did not look that fresh. We could not eat the fries that came with the mussels. They were pretty heavy with oil and had a wierd smell.Special Features:
- BroadwaydebDined on 6/22/2014Best fish and chips around accompanied by hundreds of interesting beers.Special Features:
- Belgian Delight624eatzzDined on 6/19/2014I have visited this restaurant often, and I have always had a great time. Food and drink are always excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Solid Execution as alwaysuwsdwlDined on 6/15/2014B. Café consistently delivers solid execution. A small, well thought out menu, good service, good presentation and solid classic Belgian cooking. The Beer list is deep and, as one would expect, focused on Belgian and Belgian style beers. Not aiming for haut cuisine, B. Café delivers solid mid brow Belgian cooking consistently.Special Features:
- UNIQUE DINNING EXPERINCEOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 6/14/2014My third time to B. CAFE was the charm. The only issue is what to try next on the menu, overall the food is outstanding and not what you will find in other places. The BEER menu is a must try for all not just beer lovers. BEST of all was the SERVICE !! A truly attentive, knowledgeable staff that took the time to assure our satisfaction, with a thoughtful discussion about our choices and questions about the food & drink. A great choice to bring friends and family, they will be impressed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We love this place.WestSiderVIPDined on 6/13/2014This is a charming, neighborhood place. Belgian food seems much like simple, classic French to us - delicious grilled steak, chicken, salmon. The diver scallops are especially good. Appetizers are interesting, several fried (meatballs, cheese) - so along with the "frites" you can be indulgent but it's so good, especially with beer from their long and varied menu. Desserts are good too; my favorite is the pear tart Tatin, plus many more.Special Features:
- Great placeAnonymous1Dined on 6/12/2014B. Cafe is a great restaurant for elevated bar food and modules frites. Excellent beers on tap.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- NeanderthalensisDined on 5/28/2014if you like moules et frites with Belgian beer on tap, this is the place for you. The restaurant is small but comfortable, although the tables are set a little too close together. the service is excellent and the bar a nice place to wait for your dinner partners.Special Features:
- Decent food, slow servicediningwithkidsVIPDined on 5/26/2014We were there at 5:45, ordered at 6p, didn't get our moules frite appetizer until 6:30p. By that point, my kids were on their fourth piece of bread. Kids' meals didn't come until 6:45p when I specifically mentioned to bring them out as soon as they can. It wasn't just our table that was slow. I heard one guy come by to ask for something a third time and said they were almost done with one of three entrees. Food was decent. Mussels were overcooked. Club sandwich was good. Medium burger came out well. Mac and cheese was very good, but very slow to come out of kitchen. Will probably go back again after trying more neighborhood places.Special Features:
- okay placeRobboVIPDined on 5/26/2014If you can't get into Barney Greengrass or don't wish to stand waiting there forever, go across the street here for brunch. Decent food - not terrible, not awesome. Somewhere in between - more good than bad. Service mediocre. A bit cramped.Special Features:
- A NYC Upper West GemEdwardDined on 5/10/2014We met out of town guests for a Saturday brunch. The ambiance was perfect for our desire to chat and catch up. We all had a special egg omelet dish off the menu. Each dish was exceptional and the pomme frites were a delight. We all said that we would return at another time for another wonderful meal. The wait staff were always on hand to assist with our needs and when we left we were thanked for the visit. Definitely a place to try.Special Features:
- Nice little placeOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 5/9/2014Okay the place is small but not a big deal. Party of 3. Palm on tap!! Shared 2 apps - loved the Bitterballen not so much the cheese croquettes. Thumbs up for the Mussels Mariniere. Not bad on the Mussels Hoegaardenly Garlic style. Fries were awesome. Tender beef with Carbonnades Flamandes but a little too sweet. Would go back.
- Upper west side gemAllyZVIPDined on 4/19/2014What a pleasant surprise to discover this Belgian restaurant on the upper west side. Speciality seems to be huge pots of mussels but the pork loin was very good as well. Portions are quite large, I recommend sharing as there was quite a lot of food. Tables are a little close together, but hey, it's New York.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- nice meal with friendsdaytripperDined on 4/12/2014Great selection of mussels and choices for vegetarian friends. Terrific beer - love the grimbergen. Quiet enough to talk to our friends, but still felt festive.
- Didn't have the moules. ThatOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 4/12/2014Didn't have the moules. That was probably my mistake. The carbonnade was merely OK.
- Unfortunate Second Visitmadg1976VIPDined on 4/12/2014First time I visited had a great burger at the bar and delicious fries. Went for brunch. Chicken sandwich was great but fries were a mess. All clumped together as if they had been stepped on by elephants. it was evident I had gotten the bottom of the pan of what must have been cooked hours ago. Unfortunate because if there is one thing this place should get right it's the fries.
- Will Go Backmussels18Dined on 4/7/2014The mussels were delicious - great seasoning and well cooked. The fries are impossible to resist! I split one order of mussels with a friend and it was enough for two. We also shared a salad that was exceptional -- fresh and creative combination. The menu goes way beyond mussels and I will go back and try other dishes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Belgian beer and goodEveZVIPDined on 4/5/2014We enjoyed our meal. The beef stew was excellent so was the daily special chopped salad. We also had a tasty flight of Belgian beer. Portions were large, table was a little small.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We had a really nice experienceuwsdaveVIPDined on 4/3/2014We had a really nice experience at B Cafe. The beer list is unique and it is always fun to sample new types of beer; the menu is also great and the service is friendly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- If you like a real good belgianOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/28/2014If you like a real good belgian beer and you crave excellent European food, including french fries, the place to go !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.