B&O American Brasserie - Hotel Monaco
2 North Charles Street
Baltimore, MD 21201Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
B&O American Brasserie - Hotel Monaco
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.bandorestaurant.com/
- Phone: 4436926172x
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast: Monday - Friday, 7:00am - 10:30am
Lunch: Monday - Friday, 11:30am - 2:30pm
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm, Sunday 5:00pm - 10:00pm
Brunch: Saturday & Sunday: 8:00am - 2:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Organic, American, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Matthew Kane- Chef de Cuisine
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: The B&O chef team caters all Hotel Monaco - Baltimore events. The Hotel Monaco has space that can accomodate groups 10-250 ppl. The Hotel Monaco is perfet for that private business meeting or a dream weddig.
Please contact our Director of Catering Randie Haber for details at
- Special Events: For private dining inquiries inside B&O American Brasserie please contact Events Coordinator Marissa Gossage at Marissa.email@example.com
A word from B&O American Brasserie - Hotel Monaco
Housed in the historic B&O Building and named after the Baltimore & Ohio railroad, B&O American Brasserie features an approachable menu of brasserie fare. Guests can sip on hand crafted classic cocktails while enjoying top notch service. The eclectic menu features hand cut steaks, sustainable fish and many vegetarian options. The experience includes a bustling bar, an inviting lounge; an open kitchen all housed a beautiful dining room that evokes modern sophistication.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
B&O American Brasserie - Hotel Monaco reviews from OpenTable diners
78 reviews since April 24, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (38)special occasion (36)romantic (33)great for lunch (24)neighborhood gem (20)good for groups (20)vibrant bar scene (17)great for brunch (15)hot spot (15)notable wine list (10)kid-friendly (6)late-night find (6)scenic view (2)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- Love this placeKutsushitaNyankoVIPDined on 8/9/2014Always has good food and great drinks. A great place to go.Special Features:
- Simply MahvelousnannynunuDined on 8/9/2014Everything about our dinner was great- Kat was a tremendous server, her suggestions were outstanding and the food just incredible. We will definitely be back.Special Features:
- ImpressedEireDined on 8/8/2014Great ambiance, comfortable dining with very attentive staff and delicious food. Would definitely visit again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pretty coolEvilroyVIPDined on 8/5/2014Nice restaurant in a very cool, eclectic hotel. It was Restaurant Week while I was there so I went with the 3-course menu. The gnudi was fantastic, so light and well constructed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FantasticSerendipityDined on 8/4/2014The best thing about the B&O is pretty much everything. The food is adventurous enough for the sophisticated palate, wonderfully creative without being intimidating. The Summer Corn Bisque is nothing short of delightful. The ambience is perfect for whatever you have in mind; having a "Sex and the City" moment with the girls, a power lunch, or being with that special someone for a tete a tete.the staff is friendly, without being cloying, and knowledgeable about the menu, wine and cocktails. Brendan is genius and the signature Queen Bee is like the nectar of the gods. You can't help but feel just a little bit more sophisticated than you did when you came in; and that's a good thing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food as always.mmleachDined on 8/2/2014The brussells sprouts are the best. Rockfish with lentils and fennel was great.Special Features:
- Dinner at Town CenterNLJF4VIPDined on 8/1/2014Our friend has been anxious to eat at the B&O Brassiere for a long while. We decided to join him as my wife had put me through school working in that building during the 1950s. We were welcomed by the hostess and immediately seated. The noise level was very high as a rehearsal dinner was underway on the upstairs level. Sue, our server, was wonderful, very enthusiastic. We ordered in a timely fashion. The food was extremely slow from of the kitchen for each course. The grilled Brussels' sprouts with fennel & lentils was outstanding and served as very generous portions. The rock fish was excellently prepared & presented, & plentiful, so much so that we had to take some of each course home with us including the dessert. All were delicious!Special Features:
- Wonderful!flats2Dined on 8/1/2014What a delicious lunch! Thank you! We brought another person from our office and she had a great lunch too!Special Features:
- Best Burger in TownWinegirlVIPDined on 7/31/2014The burger - perfectly cooked with caramelized onions, bacon jam and blue cheese. At lunch, you can get the business lunch combo which includes a soup or salad and cookies to go. It's a great deal - and a fantastic burger. The burger changes occasionally - they used to serve it with chow-chow - but it is always delicious and perfectly cooked.Special Features:
- Lounge/bar prevails over dinnerCharlieDined on 7/26/2014Nice, cosmo, loungy place. More impressed with bar/lounge scene where we had drinks after dinner than as dining experience. Not far from Inner Harbor, good location for downtown Baltimore energy.Special Features:
- Great food in a nice urban settingkreeesDined on 7/25/2014My lamb literally melted in my mouth - the best I've had in Baltimore - and the rest of the food was delicious, as well.Special Features:
- Amazing meal!SuchiDined on 7/24/2014This was a nice surprise. My colleague and I were in town for business staying at the Hotel Monaco and we were commenting on how Kimpton hotels usually have good restaurants associated with them. We we tired and not feeling ambitious so we decided to stay put. We had the seared diver scallop which was perfectly done with a corn succotash. The oysters were served with an unbelievable Tabasco sorbet. The watermelon and chipotle goat cheese salad had many interesting flavors that worked well together. I had the crab cake for my entree and it was perfectly seared and 99% crab! My colleague had the flank steak cooked perfectly rare. Another standout of the meal were the roasted Brussels sprouts with bacon and mustard cream. Unique and wonderful!Special Features:
- Bachelorette PartyKimDDined on 7/19/2014Although I felt the menu was limited, having pizza options did help with the picky eaters. Service was good. Steak was ok.Special Features:
- Outstanding!flats2Dined on 7/18/2014We very much enjoy dining at your restaurant. Look forward to coming in. What a treat! Delicious! Always a pleasure! Thank you so much!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great spot, exceptional food!KimmyKDined on 7/15/2014What a fabulous find, tucked away in a beautiful historic hotel! Food choices were all over the map - in the best way! Something for everyone, and in our party of 7 not one place went back to the kitchen with a morsel of food remaining. Excellent service, highly recommend. Ask for Jay!Special Features:
- crazy busy hot spotFOODIE4LIFEVIPDined on 7/14/2014We visited this place just before a Justin Timberlake concert so it was crazy busy, and the service was a bit slow. But, the waitress was very nice and apologized for the wait. The food was right on.......great place with a fun atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic!StewReviewsDined on 7/14/2014I took my wife here for breakfast on our Anniversary. Everything was perfect. The flowers I requested were on the table before my reservation, and the food/waiters were excellent. I would definitely go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place!tinaDined on 7/13/2014The atmosphere was super. Service and staff was exceptional. The food was hit or miss. The steak and frites were delicious but the chicken and gnocchi were tasteless. Dessert was very good. Overall we had a good time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very nicet8teVIPDined on 7/6/2014Our first visit to B&O. Picked it on a whim because it was near where we were staying. We had travelled to Baltimore (from DC area) to meet out of town friends who were visiting. Very impressed. We will go back. Food was fabulous. The eggs benedict were very good. Eggs poached perfectly and sauce very flavorful. Cobb salad was huge. Everyone enjoyed their meals. They make a good bloody mary, but a bit spicy. And for (I think) $5 more, you can get a bottomless bloody mary (or mimosa) - great deal! I recommend it. It's not very big so I was glad we made reservations, but because we were there July 5, I think they likely weren't as busy as usual.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Convenient ChoiceDines2oftenVIPDined on 7/4/2014On a holiday weekend, there aren't many choices in the immediate neighborhood of the Monaco. Fortunately, the food is pretty good, though not particularly memorable. The restaurant is comfortable. The staff were very nice and efficient.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved itMlnoleVIPDined on 6/28/2014We stayed in the Monaco Hotel and it was very convenient. The food and service was wonderful. We ate four meals there.Special Features:
- Duck confitdoc200Dined on 5/29/2014The Thurs. evening special was duck confit. It was delicious.Special Features:
- weddingpartyDined on 5/25/2014The young man who was our waiter looked and smelled like he had not showered in three days. His nails had dirt packed under them and his cloth were dirty. He poured coffee all over our table and did not bother to wipe it up. Also storing the juices under the steps on a cart without ice is not safe. However the food was nice and the young lady who came from the kitchen to serve our food was very professional. Maybe she should start overseeing the front of the restaurant.
- DisappointingLizzie01Dined on 5/22/2014Based on reviews on various sites, we booked a reservation since we were also staying at the hotel. The only good note is they graciously held our table for an hour after we encountered flight delays. From there it was downhill. The space itself is up a staircase, dark, with a low ceiling. Although the banquette was spacious, the room was super noisy due to bar noise flowing upstairs and several large parties in the dining room. Server seemed harried, forgot to serve bread, never refilled water. Cocktails were small portions, wine was lukewarm. Spinach salad also lukewarm, not crisp. Shrimp pizza fairly good, though a little heavy on the sauce. My husband's $31 crab cake was fair, not worthy of a restaurant in Baltimore.
- Grad dinnerkimbaDined on 5/22/2014We were a family group celebrating Hopkins graduation. Shared a variety of appetizers; Brussel Sprouts and Pork Belly especially good. Nice selection of entrees; everyone enjoyed theirs and e tasted each other's. Good desserts especially the bread pudding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just OkayKandCDined on 5/21/2014Very small portions; stopped somewhere on the way back to the hotel. Pricey, but not commensurate with the food. 2nd floor is a neat location to eat.
- Mother's Day BrunchBillDined on 5/11/2014I was disappointed to find that when we were seated, the only thing available was the buffet. This wasn't made known at the time of the reservation. Otherwise the food was pretty good however the ambience was lacking.
- Mother's Day brunchBeefsteak20Dined on 5/11/2014Mother's Day brunch was great!! The food was delicious, service was great, and variety of foods on the buffet was outstanding!! Can't wait to come back and try dinner!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beautiful setting, too expensiveAnnieVIPDined on 5/10/2014Beautiful, historic building, beautifully restored. The wait staff was pleasant. The portions were tiny, but expensive. My fish looked like an appetizer portion. When I pointed this out to the server a second portion of fish was served. This was nice, but should not have been necessary. The dining room was up a steep flight of stairs, difficult for someone with health problems.Special Features:
- Great experienceMikUltraDined on 5/3/2014We stayed at the Hotel Monaco and made reservations at B&O out of convenience, and not knowing what to expect. We had a great experience there from the food to our service! We could not have picked a better place for dinner our group of 6 ladies celebrating our bride-to-be! The bread pudding was outstanding!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great spot in Baltimore!csjwkjDined on 5/1/2014The B & O Brasserie, which is just a short stroll from Inner Harbor, is a neighborhood gem. The cocktails are unique and well prepared, the food is fresh and delicious, and the service is outstanding. (Ask for Kat!) Pizza from the open oven is thin-crusted and creatively topped, and the burgers with caramelized bacon, blue cheese, and garlicky aioli are yummy. The roll could be more interesting, however. Take the walk up Charles Street to the beautiful former B & O headquarters and give yourself a treat! Check out the Hotel Monaco's marble staircase and Tiffany glass windows in the lobby while you're there.Special Features:
- PoutineDisadenDined on 5/1/2014Definitely pays to ask about the specials, their own take on a Canadian classic - Poutine, stuffed with their signature fries, Rabbit, Shortribs, Pork Belly and foie gras gravy, just a wee bit salty but very scrumptious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wedding dinner fantasticOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 4/25/2014The management and staff could not have been better with our planning for a wedding dinner. They took care of the many requests for changes without hesitation and really cared about us. Food was great.Special Features:
- The following 1065 reviews are from the B&O American Brasserie - Hotel Monaco reviews archive.
- Expected more, got lessmanfrommdVIPDined on 4/23/2014I had been to the American Brasserie before, albeit a couple of years ago, and remembered it as being fairly good. Time has not been kind here. Although the serving staff and quasi-management tried to please us, the food frankly was not too good. Two entrees had to be sent back because they were cold and the other two were not prepared as ordered (0 for 4). When our replacement meals came (with apologies) they were mediocre and overly salted. It's rare when I don't finish the meal, but in this case it just wasn't worth the extra salt intake. By the time the dessert menus came, my party agreed, no más. Probably will be many years before returning. I hate giving bad reviews, but this one was deserved.
- Easter BrunchcecemDined on 4/20/2014The Easter Brunch was a huge disappointment. By the menu, I expected excellent food stations and lots to eat. The dishes in warmers were barley warm, and nothing special. The cold cuts were fatty and poor in taste. The desserts were dry, and the servers at the omelet station had a very bad attitude. It was also very expensive. The quality was no better than Cracker Barrel where I could have eaten for about $10 rather than $35.Special Features:
- old downtownOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 4/19/2014We expected to find more of a B&O motif, but only found a few posters. The food was excellent, but some might find the portions small. The pork tenderloin was delicious as were the scallops and the flounder. The oysters were tasty but tiny. The desserts were the usual variety and very good. Our waiter was attentive and helpful. It is located at Charles and Baltimore so a part of town that could use nice restaurants. By the way valet service was prompt and cordial. The prices were around $30 for the main entree. I am not sure we will come again, but it was a satisfying experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A great disappointment!PeteVIPDined on 4/16/2014We had eaten at the B&O before. While it always tended toward the eclectic, it was always possible to get a simple steak or fish dish. Now the "eclectic" tendency has totally taken over the menu -- with the chef's rendition ending up as a totally tasteless list of offerings. Everything we tried was bland!! The drinks are good, however, but when in Baltimore from now on, we will look for other dining options.
- Very UnevenMaureenVIPDined on 4/13/2014This was our first time at the B & O Brasserie. Our waiter was excellent and attentive without being overbearing. However, we did need to ask for fresh bread for the table. The food was very uneven. The spring onion soup which was very creamy but totally lacked flavor. I had to hit the salt shaker hard....twice, and gave it a good shot of pepper too. This was very unusual for me to do. I ordered the pork loin which was phenomenal. It was incredibly flavorful and cooked to perfection. I don't eat collard greens but my friend ate them and said they were the best she had ever had. She had ordered a vegetarian dish which was just so-so. Food was either spectacular or not so good. For the money it should all be spectacular.Special Features:
- Amazing dinner and service!emurphDined on 4/11/2014My fiancé and I were visiting Baltimore, and we found this restaurant on opentable. Very nice ambience walking in. Went right to table. Waiter had extensive knowledge of cocktails and wines just by a description of what we were looking for. He also had great descriptions of appetizers and entrees. The roasted brussel sprouts were amazing. We hadn't been waiting long, but our waiter brought us conplimentary glasses of champagne for our long wait for food, but we hadn't even noticed we were waiting. Crab cakes and zucchini cakes were exquisite. Definitely would recommend this to a friend or even a stranger!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food. Not much B&O to see.JeffPDined on 4/5/2014Since the restaurant is named B&O I was expecting to see more of the railroad theme here. We were seated in the upstairs dining room and we could have been in any restaurant. Not a sign of anything B&O. The food here is good but was not served as hot as it should. My steak and truffle fries were very good. The crab cake could have been smaller with a larger proportion of crab. And the coq au vin was ok. One diner enjoyed the spring vegetable soup and our butter lettuce salad was fresh. The desserts were very good. Although we did not spend time in the lower level the bar seemed like an enjoyable place to spend time. Perhaps the more livelier lower level would have been better suited to our Saturday night dinner.Special Features: