B&O American Brasserie - Hotel Monaco
2 North Charles Street
Baltimore, MD 21201Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
B&O American Brasserie - Hotel Monaco
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.bandorestaurant.com/
- Phone: (443) 692-6172
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast: Monday - Friday, 7:00am - 10:30am
Lunch: Monday - Friday, 11:30am - 2:30pm
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm, Sunday 5:00pm - 10:00pm
Brunch: Saturday & Sunday: 8:00am - 2:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Organic, American, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Michael Ransom, Executive Chef
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: The B&O chef team caters all Hotel Monaco - Baltimore events. The Hotel Monaco has space that can accomodate groups 10-250 ppl. The Hotel Monaco is perfet for that private business meeting or a dream weddig.
Please contact our Director of Catering Randie Haber for details at
- Special Events: For private dining inquiries inside B&O American Brasserie please contact Events Coordinator Marissa Gossage at Marissa.email@example.com
A word from B&O American Brasserie - Hotel Monaco
Housed in the historic B&O Building and named after the Baltimore & Ohio railroad, B&O American Brasserie features an approachable menu of brasserie fare. Guests can sip on hand crafted classic cocktails while enjoying top notch service. The eclectic menu features hand cut steaks, sustainable fish and many vegetarian options. The experience includes a bustling bar, an inviting lounge; an open kitchen all housed a beautiful dining room that evokes modern sophistication.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerAmerican
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked 1000-Point Tables
B&O American Brasserie - Hotel Monaco - Best Restaurants in Downtown ›
B&O American Brasserie - Hotel Monaco reviews from OpenTable diners
94 reviews since July 29, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (54)special occasion (40)good for groups (36)romantic (36)neighborhood gem (35)great for lunch (24)vibrant bar scene (21)hot spot (17)great for brunch (16)notable wine list (13)late-night find (11)kid-friendly (6)scenic view (2)Show More
- Great from start to finishHappydinerDined on 3/8/2014From the time that I booked the table to when the check was paid, everything was wonderful!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing!BridgetteDined on 3/8/2014The lamb and pork chop was cooked perfectly! The drinks were delicious and the service was outstanding! We will be back!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner reservationStanDined on 3/8/2014Food was good but it took awhile to come to our table. Perhaps that was due to the crowd. We wanted dessert, but we did not have enough time to order. Our waiter, Rade, was very friendly and hospitable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not as good as anticipatedJanetDined on 3/7/2014The restaurant boasts/exudes a more luxurious feel upon entrance than what was actually offered. Table wasn't clean when we were seated, though we had a reservation and it seemed to already have been set for us. They only offered 4 types of white wine in half bottles (1 sparkling, which doesn't count in that category in my opinion) and they were out of 2 of the 4! My appetizer was my favorite part of the meal- Maryland Crab Bisque, though I have certainly had better at other Baltimore restaurants. My entree however left more to be desired- I ordered the braised lamb shank with pumpkin seed risotto and butternut squash- lamb was flavorless, and they did not serve actual risotto- just chunks of pumpkin, pumpkin seeds, and craisins together.
- Interesting selectionMikeFromDundalkDined on 3/7/2014Not for those who don't enjoy a little adventure. Nothing was normal. Even dishes that you think were normal had an a thing or two that was different. I would recommend checking the menu before dining. Everything I had was excellent, though my wife had a hard time finding something she liked. If you are OK with the menu then I would highly recommend it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Food Good TimesFrankDined on 3/6/2014I went with a friend before seeing a play at the Hippodrome. It was a great start to the evening -- service was fabulous, excellent drink menu, and the food was to die for. I can't wait to go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice placeOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/6/2014We stopped by the B&O for dinner before a show at the Hippodrome. It is less than a 10 minute walk along Baltimore Street. The atmosphere and service was outstanding. The food was what I would expect for the price. I will definitely go back the next time I go to the Hippodrome, but I'm not sure that I would return (but I may) for any other occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It has a very limited menuOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/6/2014It has a very limited menu with high prices. Not a good value.. Some liked the food others did not.
- good first impressionOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/6/2014This was my 1st time at the B&O, and I would definitely return for a special occasion myself, as well as recommend to others. It's a bit pricey, but I loved the ambience, and the service was very good ... was a little concerned about that based on reviews, but I was pleasantly surprised. The brussel sprouts were amazing, and the crab cake was very good but unfortunately served just barely warm. Overall, it was a great start to a wonderful theater evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hoping this time was a fluke...LoriVIPDined on 3/6/2014This wasn't our first time to B&O...we've had several great meals in the past. Unfortunately, dinner this past week really missed the mark:( . While we were seated for our reservations promptly at 6pm, it took over 1.5 hours to get through 2 courses and 1 drink (nothing ordered off-menu). We made our server aware that we were headed to an 8pm show --> she acknowledged with a smile and still took extremely long in between refills and courses (note: the place wasn't that packed). From the kitchen: the medium-ordered steak was prepared RARE and the Scallop entree (while delicious) was smaller than my salad appetizer with 3 medium-small pieces. Had this been our first time, we'd likely never return. Experience:Price ratio was way off!!Special Features:
- Guyot got it wrongOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/2/2014Guyot said B&O was one of thebest brunches in Baltimore. And while the service was good nothing could over the quality of the food/menu. Took me 15-mins to decide on what was the worst brunch menus I've seen in a while. My date ordered cold smoked salmon and the waiter suggested a shredded beef sandwich for me. The lox was not a great quality and the bagel looked like a frozen Sara Lee product. My sandwich was no better. beef was fatty, the roll was stale--and my fries came cold. There were maybe 10 people in the whole. So 1) don't listen to Guyot--it simply is not a reputable site; and 2) while the food was terrible, the service and drinks were well done. So there's hope... with a better kitchen manager, chef, and menu.
- Shockingly DisappointingJjmmaaVIPDined on 2/28/2014The B&O American Brasserie has been on our list for several years and we finally had the opportunity to go on a Friday evening. We walked into a overwhelming loud bar scene.and had a difficult time finding the hostess stand tucked away in a corner. I worked my way through the crowd to the hostess and waited 15 minutes while she chatted on the phone. It was another 15 minutes before they found us for dinner. They noise level in the dining room was so loud, we could not hear each other at the table.. The restaurant was in disparate of an updating, worn tables and chairs, menus stained and wrinkled, linens with holes, the overall feeling was the dining room was an afterthought. Service was mediocre and the food disappointing for the price.
- Wonderful Food, Delicious Drinks,CharmCityNoobDined on 2/28/2014Try the cocktails or sample from the extensive whiskey menu. All the food we tried was tasty. Though we made a reservation, we were seated 30 minutes late, however the dining experience was worth it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and great experienceChrisBmoreDined on 2/28/2014Very few things to say about this restaurant, and they're all good. I had been here once before years ago and decided to come back before a show at the hippodrome. Make sure you have a reservation, because it was busy. The food was fantastic, the service was very good, and the price was a little less than i would have expected for an upscale restaurant inside a historic hotel. We had a party of four, and all four meals were fantastic (the braised short rib for Friday's special was incredible). Parking wasn't bad, either. I would highly recommend this for any special occasion.Special Features:
- Not for older folks!OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 2/28/2014I took my elderly mom and two elderly (over 80) aunts here for dinner before a show. The meal was excellent but the noise level was excessive. The biggest drawback is the main dining area is up a very long flight of stairs. We managed ok but then found out the restrooms are all back on the main level. Definitely not for the handicapped or elderly!! But our waitstaff was excellent and the food outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 2/26/2014Three of us dined at the B&O before a show at the Hippodrome. I have to mention that our waitress, Ashley, was fantastic! She was charismatic, helpful, and she got us out in time for our show.I would recommend this to a friend.
- HORRIBLEdisgustedDined on 2/26/2014Normally we don't do reviews but felt this one merited the worst experience ever. The only reason i gave this a one - star is there was no option for a zero. Rather than re- live the experience - diners and travelers do yourself a favor and go elsewhere. Over priced ands just terrible food and service. BTW it was a Wednesday not even a weekend
- Fun for appetizers!!Foodie4everDined on 2/25/2014Love their Brussels sprouts , pizza and fried oysters! Chocolate cake wasn't too bad as a closer!! Lot of fun eating!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Restaurant Week try outScarlettYDined on 2/22/2014My husband and I tried this restaurant during winter Restaurant Week and ordered off that menu. All of the courses of food were excellent and we also enjoyed the specialty house-made cocktails. For the price, this is definitely a special occasion restaurant, but the space is nicely laid out, fancy but not over the top. All of the servers were attentive and knowledgeable. And with valet parking in that neighborhood for only $5, they make it easy to enjoy!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great restaurant week selectionsOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/21/2014they provided a great restaurant week menu, we left full and satisfied. The lamb shank was fall off the bone tender and a great pairing with the squash; the rockfish was done perfectly, flaky, tender and the sauce was appropriate. Request a spoon because you will want every drop. Servings were generous. They were busy, service was slow.Special Features:
- Good spotbaltimorejmDined on 2/20/2014Great atmosphere, in a great historic old building. Food was excellent. Service was a bit slow, it seemed they may have been understaffed. I would go back with no hesitation.Special Features:
- It was restaurant week..soOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 2/20/2014It was restaurant week..so perhaps that might explain The extremely slow service.
- restaurant weekBequebelleVIPDined on 2/20/2014I went to the B&O for the first time during restaurant week and really enjoyed the menu. I have heard many great things about the brunch there and am excited to go back soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing Food - Service Non Existentkateanne208Dined on 2/19/2014I need to state that the food was truly amazing. The brussel sprouts were to die for and same with the lamb shank and hangar steak. It was all cooked to perfection. Now, that being said, the service left much more to be desired. Our reservation was for 7:15pm and we did not leave until 10pm. It took nearly 10 minutes for someone to greet us at the table and fill our water glasses. After that time, we did not know who was serving us - which was unfortunate as our table was in the center of the floor on the upper level - meaning that every server had to walk past our table. While it is Baltimore Restaurant Week, we did not choose B&O tonight for that reason and expected a much, much higher level of service. Extremely disappointed.
- I never complain about service...bl00dondal33vzDined on 2/19/2014But this service was ridiculously bad. I finished my glass of water about 30 seconds in. By the time I paid the check, it hadn't been refilled once. Asked for bread. 20 minutes later, I asked again and was told "we're working on it." Meanwhile, they brought our first course about 2 minutes after we ordered and it wasn't hot. When the bread finally came it wasn't hot either. Seemed like they were understaffed, which normally wouldn't bother me but our waitress didn't even make eye contact with us...let alone apologize or smile. The food was actually good all things considered, but the experience was terrible overall.
- Sad restaurant weekAlainaDined on 2/18/2014I had high hopes for this restaurant week night dinner, as I had come previously for drinks a few months ago and really enjoyed myself. However, there is very little beyond the cocktails that I can recommend. Our waitress was distracted and frequently left me with an empty water glass for more than 25 mins. The main course was the most disappointing part. I got the roasted chicken with barley, mushrooms and kale. At that price point, the flavors should have been more complex and refined, but the dish was best described as lazy and flavorless. The fish was also not well done. There was nothing intriguing about either flavor profile, and nothing that made me want to go further than a first bite. I left 80% of my main dish untouched.Special Features:
- Nothing to write home aboutOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 2/18/2014Went there on Tuesday and the place was so quiet I wasn't sure if there were other people in the restaurant and bar area. There were a few. The service was ok and the meal was ok. Like I said, nothing to write home about
- Restaurant week findPhylburlDined on 2/16/2014Very nice meal. Good mix of locals and hotel guests. Excellent service. Very comfortable. Will return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The bartender was very good,ArthurJacobVIPDined on 2/16/2014The bartender was very good, but, food-wise, I wouldn't go out of my way to dine here again except for convenience. The decor and furniture need updating.
- Fine but not greatOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 2/16/2014We went for the first day of restaurant week for lunch. Apparently restaurant week starts at dinner - not clear from the opentable website! Although the confusion was not the restaurant's fault, the staff was not very gracious about it and it took us about 20 min and multiple communications between waitress and chef to clear up the confusion. I eventually asked if they would be willing to honor the restaurant week menu. At that point they agreed, but they gave us 1 eligible appetizer and 2 possible entrees (veggie sandwich or a burger). If they wanted to offer it, at the minimum they should have given us 2 or 3 choices for each course - seemed begrudging not to give any options really! Food was fine, but not great or memorable.
- NOT BAD NOT BADEATERDined on 2/15/2014GREAT SPACE. AMBIENCE BEAUTIFUL. tHEY WERE OUT OF THE DRINK I WANTED. WAITER WAS JUST BARELY ABOVE AVERAGE. LAMB MELTED OFF THE BONE BUT VERY LITTLE TASTE. DUCK WAS VERY GOOD. NEED MORE VEGGIES WITH ENTREES.Special Features:
- went for Valentines DayGunnarDined on 2/14/2014It is a great bar/restaurant with great food. I took my girlfriend there for the first time for Valentines day for my first time there and just expected something a little nicer for a $120 dinner on a special night. Sat us next to the bar (with a lot of other table empty) at a table for 4 (just 2 of us on the reservation) and no table cloth. Would be great for a night out, had a large couch for lounging with drinks and was playing the Olympics, but would recommend elsewhere for special occasions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good but not great.ScottDined on 2/8/2014We were staying at the Hotel Monaco, of which the resaurant is a part of. We were looking forward to dining here for a while. The restaurant is very well designed in the historic former B&O Railroad HQ building. The lower level houses the bar area and restaurant seating, while there is more seating upstairs in a cool loft area. The seating in thelower level feels like casual bar seating, but is for restaurant guests. We were seated in this area, and it took away from the ambiance of the evening. Felt like we were in the lounge. My wife wanted to order an apple martini, and they apparently didn't have apple liquer. It sounded like they never do the way the question was answered. That seemd unusual. Good food and a great server though.
- Fantastic once againNoThanksVIPDined on 2/8/2014Our go-to place for pre-show dinner at the Hippodrome. Just a 10 min walk away. We usually park in the garages 1/2 way between the hippodrome and B&O on Baltimore st, which gives a short walk to dinner, a bit longer after dinner and a short walk after the show. This is the second time at B&O and very pleased once again. Don't miss the brussel sprouts. We order a plate as a shared appetizer which is ample for up to 4 to share and quite a bit for 2. Very interesting inside. Try one if their unique cocktails too. For vegans, they have a brazen veg entrée which was great. Everything we've had there has been top notch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- B&O American BrasserieOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/8/2014Having dinner on location while staying at the Hotel Monaco turned out to be an enjoyable and unexpected pleasure. As we walked thru the Bar area enroute to check in, the atmosphere was lively and exciting. The staff was engaging and pleasant and proudly boasted of several dishes they recommended. Service was excellent, each host/hostess and wait staff who were eager to share their recommendations for unique beverages, appetizers and main course selections. The Truffle Brussel Sprouts with bacon were a big hit...cooked to perfection....We would definitely plan another visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A gem you don't hear much aboutOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/7/2014I had never heard of this restaurant but I was frustrated at the lack of French food in the area and went googling "French restaurants Baltimore" and came up with this one, though it isn't really French. More French-inspired American. It had good reviews and indeed it was good. I was puzzled how uncrowded it was. It has a cheap valet, a really nice bar area I wouldn't mind spending time in, some really unusual and inspired cocktails, a wonderful old buulding and the food was really quite good. I had steak frites and the butcher's cut of steak was a little tough but the frites were some of the best I ever had. The pork belly app was excellent and the braised short ribs special and brussels sprouts side all perfection.Special Features:
- Date placeOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/7/2014Nice date night-- server was personable, appropriately attentive, and helpful. Arugula salad was great! Scallops also wonderful and braised shirt rib was nice and tender. Interesting, tasty cocktails. Skipped dessert. Place wasn't crowded at 7:30 on a Friday...I liked that, actually! Nice, relaxing, romantic dinner date. B&O building is cool, too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Third times the charmBluestoneRegularDined on 2/1/2014The first time I visited B & O, the bar was so packed we decided to go somewhere else. During our second visit we enjoyed a drink before a wedding. This Saturday, with a group of friends, I enjoyed B & O's amazing cocktail concoctions and the local food menu. PEI Mussels and Crispy Pork Belly are a must! Decent service and great ambiance.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Had a GREAT experienceEHendonVIPDined on 2/1/2014Loved everything about this place. We were seated in a curved banquette facing the room, which is a lovely way for two people to enjoy a dining experience. The service was terrific, the food was really, really good. And the bar downstairs was OUTSTANDING. Go there first and have the bartenders make something special for you. Real, old fashioned bartending at it's best (by young, highly trained bartenders.) They'll make you throwback Manhattans the way they were meant to be made, or recommend something based on your taste. Whole thing was a terrifc.Special Features:
- great food, comfortablebikerbenDined on 1/25/2014The food is really well done, tasty, good ingredients, well presented. The room is elegant. It is easy to talk and hold a conversation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.