b, A Bolton Hill Bistro
1501 Bolton Street
Baltimore, MD 21217Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
b, A Bolton Hill Bistro
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.b-bistro.com/
- Phone: 4103838600x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Tuesday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Sunday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm; Brunch: Sunday: 10:00am - 2:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Contemporary European, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: George Allen aka Big George
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Farm to Table, Gluten-free Menu, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: The best of b bistro offerings is available for your guests. Call and ask about catering and party platters. You'll get the personal attention of our house manager and chef. b bistro knows you deserve nothing less.
A word from b, A Bolton Hill Bistro
Sample fresh, local and imaginative b bistro cuisine with a range of daily specials and an eclectic, non-fussy, and reasonably-priced wine list. Enjoy dining in Bolton Hill, one of Baltimore's most stately and historic neighborhoods.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeigborhood Gem
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Dining
- Diners' Choice WinnerContemporary American
b, A Bolton Hill Bistro - Best Restaurants in Mt. Vernon ›
b, A Bolton Hill Bistro reviews from OpenTable diners
150 reviews since May 22, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (119)great for outdoor dining (103)fit for foodies (89)special occasion (51)great for brunch (47)romantic (37)notable wine list (33)good for groups (17)great for lunch (10)kid-friendly (10)scenic view (10)hot spot (7)late-night find (7)Show More
- Excellent as UsualAnonymousVIPDined on 9/16/2014I live in this neighborhood. b is always an easy "go to" spot for great food with friends. It is a bit pricy to be an every-week fallback, but half-price bottles of wine makes Tuesdays a good day to go. Don't tell anyone or else b will be too crowded that day.Special Features:
- TimboVIPDined on 9/13/2014One of my favorite places to go....great food and service!Special Features:
- Lovely Restaurant, QuietHpyHrDined on 9/11/2014This was my first visit to B and I was not disappointed. The server was attentive and with the exception of the fried oyster appetizer, which was overly salty, it was a lovely evening. There were multiple, reasonably priced specials. We ate inside but the outside dining is very nice and overlooks a tree-lined neighborhood. I will be back.Special Features:
- Nice neighborhood restaurantOutoftownerDined on 8/26/2014b is a pleasant, relaxed bistro. It seemed a bit overpriced and service was slow, but a pleasant experience overall.Special Features:
- Not as good for brunchRhelf123Dined on 8/24/2014We love this place but our brunch experience wasn't anywhere near as good as dinner. The food was good but not great-with notably over salted salmon Benedict-but the real dissapountment was service. Slow, in attentive, and seemingly annoyed to be there, we were less than welcomed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- disappointedhelencVIPDined on 8/23/2014we have been to b many times, and this was disappointing. they had no knowledge of a confirmed Open Table reservation, but did fit us in. it was chaotic. service was okay-definitely not what it has been in the past.Special Features:
- Nice find!STepperDined on 8/19/2014So enjoyed our dinner at B's. Attentive service along with high quality food. Kudos!!!Special Features:
- Great service, lovely eveninganagramaVIPDined on 8/17/2014B Bistro is a pretty and peaceful place to dine outdoors on a late summer evening, so we took a guest who is elderly and very frail. She was welcomed with real warmth before she'd even reached the door, and the maitre d went to real lengths to make sure she was comfortable--a kindness that is rare in restaurants lately. So we were were loving this place even before the fantastic crab soup hit the table. It's one of those places that is cool and warm both, and we'll be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- lovely, but felt dissapointedbrawfriendlyDined on 8/17/2014The only downside was my very limited options being the raw vegan of the group. Instead of merely disassembling a salad to meet my needs, I feel that more effort could have been shown to give my salad more oomph! Don't get me wrong, I fully appreciated the small slices of avocado on top of the salad. However, there were other things on the menu and I'm sure in the kitchen that could have been added. (onion, tomato, peppers) I was asked about walnuts on top-thank you! It would have been nice to ooh and ahh over my selection. I did let you know in advance. For example at Woodberry, they on the fly made a gorgeous salad that made me swoon...it had everything and was artfully designed. I paid dearly for it, but didn't mind a bit.Special Features:
- fantastic food and neighborhoodOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/15/2014This is my fourth time at b and it has yet to disappoint.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Terrific!FlashVIPDined on 8/15/2014Always consistent, this bistro continually delivers outstanding food, service, and wine options. A real gem for Baltimore.Special Features:
- Beautiful SpotWAStoBALDined on 8/14/2014Besides the plentiful delicious dish options, the intimate location makes this place extra special. I look forward to going back. In particular, I'd like to take advantage of the small plates so that I may sample more food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Per Usual, SpectacularadavisDined on 8/13/2014Been dining here occasionally for the past few years. The level of consistency in food quality is superb, and I love how they change the menu ever so often. They have a very eclectic beer selection, and a decent wine list. The atmosphere is calm, and this place is definitely a neighborhood gem. This time we ordered the mussels in the red curry coconut sauce, and they were perhaps the best mussels I have had all summer. The sauce had a large body but it was not filling. I just wish they had better bread for dipping (we got focaccia). I ordered the chicken over a mushroom risotto and it was mind-blowing. The chicken was cooked to perfection and the risotto complimented it very very well. It is something I could eat every night!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great for brunchJamesTravelDined on 8/10/2014We sat outside which was very nice. Food for brunch was excellent ... varied menu ... good drinks ...Special Features:
- Nearly perfect!tesoromioDined on 8/8/2014We dined at b Bistro and had a most pleasant evening. The service was mostly attentive although they did forget to offer us coffee when our dessert was served. The appetizers were excellent. We had a surprising and original vial of oyster ceviche and a tuna carpaccio that was nothing short of amazingly delicious. My main course was a lovely, large fried soft shell crab served over smokey corn. It would have been perfect had the chef used a lighter hand with the smoke seasoning. My partner selected trout which was absolutely divine. Desserts were excellent, especially the pistachio parfait. We will definitely be back!Special Features:
- Great experience!leharrison15Dined on 8/5/2014Went to b Bistro during restaurant week. Other than feeling like the server treated us funny because we were doing restaurant week, it was a great experience. The outdoor tables are really nice. The service was quick and the food was great! Absolutely loved the Maryland crab soup.Special Features:
- Simple yet delicious mealBaltimoreGalDined on 8/5/2014We went for summer restaurant week. We decided to eat outside which was nice since it's on such a quiet street. Our meals were great. Simple and not over-worked. We both started with the beet salad. Not smothered in dressing, you could taste every bite. For entrees we had rainbow trout and tempura soft shell crab. I thought the coating on the crab was a bit heavy, but that's tempura and not MD style sauté. Our desserts were pleasant as well. We had the sorbet and a pistachio fig sundae. The selection was great for the restaurant week menu. What stood out most was the service and the friendly manager.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Neighborhood GemfunwithtypeDined on 8/3/2014We enjoy dining at b for brunch or a special occasion dinner. We are lucky to have it in our neighborhood. The food is fresh, innovative and consistently good, and the service is always attentive. We are also glad that b participates in Restaurant Week and has a creative menu for the occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Staple to Bolton HollBmorefinest1976Dined on 8/3/2014Great neighborhood gem for brunch and dinner. Lots of fresh ingredients tha that are made in house. Service is always superb, never had a bad dining Expierience. My go to place for brunch and dinnerSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- veriteDined on 8/3/2014(continued from full review) However, the most impressive faux pas of the evening occurred as my wife and I were still eating our second course. As I was taking the last few bites of my meal the manager stood over me and stared for about 15 seconds. It was a very awkward, some might say... creepy stare. With my mouth still chewing the manager grabs my plate and says "WHOA... did you even breathe?! I mean you INHALED that food.. JESUS!". My wife and I looked up in disbelieve and in shock as he walked away with my plate. Not only was this embarrassing for me, it embarrassed my wife as she was now the only one at the table left with a plate of food in front of her and she was still eating.
- Best meal in yearsCherryiiceDined on 8/2/2014While many restaurants seem only to disappoint on subsequent visits, b has remained consistently stellar, if not simply better with time. Everything was good, and many of our items were perfection. Can't remember the last time I was able to say that about a dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful experiencePatriceDined on 8/2/2014First time at this restaurant. Will be back. Service excellent. Food presentation spectacular. Taste excellent. Can't wait to go back.Special Features:
- Great bistro fareMike28aVIPDined on 8/1/2014We were at b. for the start of restaurant week, which we normally don't care for (limited menu, too much food). b.'s menu was great, with four choices for each of the first two crosses. My insalata Caprese was delicious, and the tuna tartare was pleasing. We had four different entrees, allowing nice cross tasting. I had shrimp and grits that were delicious. Pasta Bolognese, soft-shelled crab, and a veggie lasagna (straight from a Seinfeldian-plane) were all very good. Service was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- love bPetitegourmetDined on 7/29/2014B is truly a neighborhood gem. The servers will remember you when you return, and are very attentive. The food is always impressive.Special Features:
- travlertravlerVIPDined on 7/29/2014Always consistently delicious. Been to b many times and have never been disappointed.Special Features:
- BrunchPickyEaterDined on 7/27/2014Absolutely fabulous brunch. The perfect mix of breakfast and lunch selections. There were 5 in our party and everyone was beyond pleased with their meal.Special Features:
- A disappointing first experience...AndreaGraceDined on 7/26/2014I was so excited to go to b Bistro! Beautiful summer, a great buzz at the restaurant. We were greeted by a few people and drinks were easy to come by. Then the wait. We waited a long time to order and a VERY long time for our dinner. When it came to closing out the check, 4 different people descended upon us-- clearing out plates, and collecting the check. Just a really odd dynamic. Where were they all night when we needed drinks refreshed and our meal? We were offered free dessert (we didn't ask, so this was a nice gesture), but then we were actually charged for that too! At that point, we were just shaking out heads and left. Food was fine, but despite all the people running around, the service was really lacking.Special Features:
- Urban OasisOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/22/2014Great spot to forget you are in a US city. It feels very Parisian to sit outside, watch all the residents walk their dogs, and enjoy a wonderful wine list and small plate meal. There are many choices for full meals too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- B BistrosBBistroDined on 7/19/2014We are frequent patrons of B Bistro. The food is always marvelous. The restaurant changes the menu throughout the year to "keep it fresh". No matter what, the meal and service are consistently excellent. One of us had the soft shell crab tempura and thought it was great. The garden salad with berries and feta was also a hit.Special Features:
- Always a Great EveningyentakvetchDined on 7/19/2014Our dinner was superb. I wasn't expecting soft-shelled crabs. They were the biggest and best I have ever had. We, of course, had to have some dessert. The pistachio ice-cream sundae with figs and honey is mind-blowing. It is the most amazing combination. Our server was so attentive and yet, not intrusive. b's, the bistro, is a restaurant we will return to over and over again. It never lets us down.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PerfectPatrickDined on 7/16/2014I can't find a thing to criticize about b. It's been a Baltimore mainstay for years and is truly a culinary gem. Never a bad meal, never anything but impeccable service. I don't live in the DMV anymore, but I make it a point to visit b every time I come home.Special Features:
- B is worth the waitOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/13/2014First...make a reservation. Second...be ready for the freshest ingredients, a varied menu and truly excellent service. I do have a shellfish allergy so I was limited in what I could order, but my companions were very pleased. In fact, so was I.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/13/2014I invited a French friend on Sunday 7/13 to an early celebration of France day, and even though the menu was not really up to the occasion (not really a French menu) and the restaurant didn't have any mention of the special day, we did have a good time and enjoyed the food; simple brunch items, well prepared and nicely served. The bread pudding was outstanding. Maybe the Bistro part of the name is just a name and does not mean French restaurant...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AMAZING !!!!!JackieVIPDined on 7/12/2014Delicious meal!! One thing was better than the next. The tuna tartar was amazing as were the mussels. The cheeseburger melted on your mouth!! Cannot wait to go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 7/12/2014food is always very very good.blt scallops are my favorite. very relaxed atmosphere.Special Features:
- A special findspanzersVIPDined on 7/8/2014Was looking for someplace new and different near the Lyric Theatre and fell upon B by just doing a restaurant search in Google near the theatre. The reviews and the menu seemed great and we were not disappointed. Some of the best soft shell crabs and rockfish ever. Very pleasant and attentive wait staff. And when it wasn't 95 degrees with chance of bad storms should be walking distance to the Lyric but easy enough to park near the restaurant and then park again. We'll definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Foods great but the service ?BetsyDined on 6/29/2014We've eaten Dinner at b but never brunch. For brunch we ate outside (great) and the food was fabulous (good menu and the food is delish). What always disappoints me is the service. It is very lackadaisical and too laid back. They seem to not care if we are there or not. An improvement in service will put this great place over the top. Unfortunately our experience is b, A Bolton Hill Bistro doesn't seem to want to improve. I recommend with reservations.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fancy-casualJaredWith1RDined on 6/29/2014A good selection of drinks, as well as the great food, of course. Enough fancy food for my foodie girlfriend, but plenty of staple options for my slightly picky self. A little on the pricey side for us, but reasonable for the occasional brunch or nice dinner out. Always worth the 6 minute walk from our house.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- herbDined on 6/29/2014good choice for Bolton hill residents for entertaining friends and guests. parking difficult for non-residents. very good food with an ever-changing menu. interesting "takes" on standard fare (e.g. French toast with brioche, honey, mascarpone, fig & pistachio nuts) as well as inventive entrees. can be noisy when crowded - inside or outside dining - expensive (brunch for three was $100 with only one person having a glass of wine). all waiters seem to service all tables.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Will returnOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 6/28/2014A really nice find for three of us. The location in Bolton Hill is quiet on a beautiful classic Bolton Hill street. Wait staff was prompt, patient and helpful as we made selections. We loved the spinach ravioli and the fried tomato appetizers. The steamed mussels were a bit larger than we had hoped but the fried scallops were up to par.Special Features: