b, A Bolton Hill Bistro
1501 Bolton Street
Baltimore, MD 21217Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
b, A Bolton Hill Bistro
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.b-bistro.com/
- Phone: (410) 383-8600
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Tuesday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Sunday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm; Brunch: Sunday: 10:00am - 2:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Contemporary European, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: George Allen aka Big George
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Farm to Table, Gluten-free Menu, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: The best of b bistro offerings is available for your guests. Call and ask about catering and party platters. You'll get the personal attention of our house manager and chef. b bistro knows you deserve nothing less.
A word from b, A Bolton Hill Bistro
Sample fresh, local and imaginative b bistro cuisine with a range of daily specials and an eclectic, non-fussy, and reasonably-priced wine list. Enjoy dining in Bolton Hill, one of Baltimore's most stately and historic neighborhoods.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeigborhood Gem
- Diners' Choice WinnerContemporary American
b, A Bolton Hill Bistro - Best Restaurants in Mt. Vernon ›
b, A Bolton Hill Bistro reviews from OpenTable diners
130 reviews since July 27, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (110)fit for foodies (89)great for outdoor dining (70)special occasion (49)great for brunch (37)romantic (36)notable wine list (29)hot spot (14)good for groups (11)kid-friendly (11)late-night find (10)scenic view (9)great for lunch (7)Show More
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 11/22/2014Wait staff was excellent. Food was delicious and inventiveSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- gratefulDined on 11/16/2014My group and I enjoyed A Bolton Hill very much (and the group table next to us)!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/15/2014menu is the same - good that there's specials because I don't love any of the dishes on the menu. I like the small plate option. I'd like to have more of the bread they serve.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- New York City-Size Dining RoomL2HenryDined on 11/15/2014Everything about this restaurant was excellent. However, our group noted the seating arrangement felt very "New York City" as the dining room is small and tables are close together. Just something to consider if you are someone who values more privacy for your conversations or if your party includes someone with special physical needs.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- If your are in the NeighborhoodBarbFVIPDined on 11/11/2014Welcoming restaurant, friendly staff. Ten minute walk to the Myerhoff. Very warm and homey environment. The menu has great food choices, execution was pretty good. Mussels and Bolognese were very good, tuna was a sub grade, mealy. Willing to try again, make different choices.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Neighborhood gemwow11Dined on 11/9/2014A genuine pleasure from the time you park at the front door til you have to leave. The setting, the menu, the staff and of course, the food are top drawer.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- herbDined on 11/9/2014b bistro has excellent food in a casual, friendly neighborhood setting. waitstaff is very friendly and attentive. menu changes regularly with interesting selections and combinations without being pretentious. it is popula,r so reservations are a must. we "brunched" at 11 a.m., and it was quiet and half-empty, but, by the time we left, every table was full. parking on street but easy on the weekend; two hour limit during the week for non-Bolton hill residents.Special Features:
- fixed price menuracmomDined on 11/8/2014My daughter and I both chose the fixed price menu on our visit. My duck dish was amazing. My daughter's gnocchi was great too and her serving was large enough that she brought the leftovers home for another meal. My chocolate bread pudding was excellent; not too sweet, which the way I like it.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/7/2014we enjoyed the three-course special and it was delicious. The tuna tartar was fresh and perfectly seasoned. The sliced duck breast was medium rare, just the way we like it. And the wine list is interesting and reasonably priced. Definitely worth a return visit.Special Features:
- Loved it!foodismyfaveDined on 10/30/2014We went here for an anniversary dinner, and it was a perfect romantic spot. The food was incredible- I did the three course meal option, and each dish was great. The lobster mac and cheese, which came as a side, was to die for. The wine choices were excellent, and the service was attentive but not intrusive- it was everything we could have hoped for!Special Features:
- CONVENIENT TO LECTUREHarryDined on 10/26/2014Had been looking forward to trying this restaurant for quite awhile. A nearby lecture presented perfect opportunity. Food was just okay and service could have been much better! Not likely to return or recommend this restaurant.Special Features:
- Inconsistent qualitycrossculturalistDined on 10/25/2014This was our first time dining at B-Bistro. The location is great and the space is quaint. My dish was good (crispy skin trout), but the skin was absolutely NOT crispy (rather soggy). The arugala salad was good, however. My husband's brisket (dish of the day) was VERY salty. We are a family that (sadly) likes salt and even this was TOO salty for either of us. Our friend ordered scallops and enjoyed them very much. I ordered the 1/2 portion of trout and found it to be overpriced given it does not come with any sides others than a few haricot vert. The price should match the quality and I'm not sure we got the quality. We might return again to give it another try, but hands down, we prefer their flagship restaurant, The Helmand.Special Features:
- decentWhateverVIPDined on 10/25/2014The foods was okay but I don't understand the hype. My husband had the special and it was salty. I had meat that was over cooked. It's crowded and loud. Which is something you deal with for spectacular food. I'd go back if someone really wanted to but once was enough for me.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyed it!eersfan1Dined on 10/25/2014My wife and I had dinner at b. prior to going to the Hippodrome for a show. I was looking for something relatively close with good reviews and this place checked both of those boxes when I found it on OpenTable. It's a very small restaurant with a friendly staff. The service was excellent and the food was great. I had scallops and my wife had the vegetable lasagne. Both were excellent. We had 6:00 reservations, but arrived a little late. We called ahead, and were told not to worry about it. When we got there at 6:15 we went straight to our table. Great food and great service. I highly recommend it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect neighborhood spot!vtreneeDined on 10/24/2014Went to B on a recommendation and it was lovely! The food was delicious and the ambiance and service was perfect! Would definitely go back and recommend it to others!Special Features:
- DisappointingFacarpVIPDined on 10/23/2014I had been looking forward to dining at b for quite a while. I am sorry to say that the experience did not live up to my expectations. Two out of the four members of our party were late for the reservation, but I called to let the restaurant know. My daughter and her college roommate got to the restaurant on time(we were stuck in Mt. Washington waiting for 45 minutes for a cab that never came. Valet manager at Mt. Washington Tavern drove us in his personal car to the restaurant). I told her to order a few appetizers while they were waiting for us . My daughter texted me that the server was not happy that we were late. This became obvious when we arrived and the server was icy at best. Service was slow and food was mediocre.Special Features:
- PLOPDined on 10/23/2014always A GOOD EXPERIENCE,I HAVE NEVER BEEN DISAPPOINTED.NOR HAVE MY FRIENDS.Special Features:
- Now that the weather is cooling,BillVIPDined on 10/19/2014B loses half its tables and we lose the pleasure of sitting outside on a corner where neighbors walk by with their dogs and friends and say hello to diners. But it is still a lovely, intimate small restaurant inside. The menu is consistently imaginative and and the wine list interesting. On a recent Sunday night it was not quite crowded, but a large table of maybe 16 people did make it a bit noisy, and compromised the service somewhat. They have a $35 fixed-price menu now and still have half-price wines on Tuesday, both good bargains. .Special Features:
- Location AND Extraordinary FoodVangedDined on 10/18/2014We first came across b because it was a handful of blocks from Meyerhoff Symphony Hall. Now after dozens of dinners there, we're pleased to report that it's become a destination for us on its own. We've tried an extraordinary variety of dishes, including many we'd never had anywhere else and a few we were skeptical about in advance, but we've yet to be served anything we haven't found extraordinary.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- love itanniversaryVIPDined on 10/17/2014this place never disappoints! I wish they had even more options for brunch, since I go there so often.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- B"sHill1234Dined on 10/15/2014Great neighborhood restaurant, service was outstanding and the food was good. They did not rush us out.Special Features:
- Wait Staff needs personality checkDeannaVIPDined on 10/3/2014Food is still pretty good. The service not so great. Awkward reception for us and just about every other group that walked through the door. Is it that difficult to greet and treat your quests properly? Lots of other Bmore restaurants don't think so.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently goodCityslickerVIPDined on 10/1/2014We occasionally drop in to dine here. It's super cute and a few blocks from home. My favorite dish is the shrimp and grits but decided to try the scallops. They were prepared well but my only bit of feedback was the flavors on the plate weren't distinguished enough. The scallops, sauce, fennel, onions etc all taste a bit monotone. It was hard to appreciate each ingredient.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FourforBrunchVIPDined on 9/28/2014Everything was very good. The inside was very warm so we ate outside and the staff was very helpful in setting us up with 2 comfortable tables in the shade. Service was well up to par and food was excellent. Thanks for a lovely brunch.Special Features:
- A perfect spot on a perfect eveningKathyVIPDined on 9/27/2014We haven't been to b in a while, but I know we'll be back soon. We sat outside and had a fabulous meal. Everything - fried oyster, mussels, soup, scallop BLT, crispy trout, salads, shrimp & grits - were wonderful. And we ended with Taharka Bros ice cream and a chess platter. There were four of us!! Our server, Nancy, was wonderful. What a great spot!Special Features:
- Great corner restaurantDinnerlover1Dined on 9/26/2014Really enjoyed their farm fresh food options. I will defiantly be going back. Every food dish was wonderful, no complaints at all! My chicken was the most perfectly cooked chicken ever.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of our favorites!KathyDined on 9/21/2014b bistro didn't disappoint! It was my husband's birthday and after Center Stage production we decided b would be a good option to celebrate and have a relaxing evening. With only a short time left until we will all be inside for the duration of the winter months, we opted for outside dining. I love the neighborhood, watching dog walkers, baby strollers, etc. even saw an old neighbor passing by and had a visit with her. The food is so good...you would expect to have to pay much more. While it is hardly a fancy restaurant, the staff and food and wine and ambiance are equal or better than almost any other venue in town. Can't wait to return!Special Features:
- BoltonHillerDined on 9/21/2014Service was excellent. (Well done, Nancy!) Truffle fries - Where's the truffle flavors? So plain everyone at our table thought they were something else. Brussel sprouts - Nicely grilled, charred, and tasty! Lamb burgers - prepared well (correct). Order them med/rare! Bolognese pasta - delicious but small portion size for the price...it's pasta. Shrimp/grits - also delicious but slightly over salted. Ok, slightly biased since I live nearby - Great place to eat occasionally. The entrees are expensive. Portions are small. I'm so over this 'farm to table' style of dining.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unhappy WaiterRexYDined on 9/18/2014Amazing how an unhappy and unhelpful waiter can ruin the atmosphere for a meal; I think he is the exception to the usually pleasant waitstaff. I did not sense adequate supervision overall. We usually enjoy our visit to Bolton B, however our waiter was less than helpful, and somewhat impatient and surly. My wife asked for an alternative to the bread that came with the ahi tuna tartare, and the waiter was not at all accommodating, stating that the cook told him you only had enough potatoes for the evening to go with another paired dish (five fingerling potatoes short?!). We were charged additional for the vegetables served as a substitute. Overall his inattentiveness made for a less than pleasant evening.Special Features:
- Excellent as UsualAnonymousVIPDined on 9/16/2014I live in this neighborhood. b is always an easy "go to" spot for great food with friends. It is a bit pricy to be an every-week fallback, but half-price bottles of wine makes Tuesdays a good day to go. Don't tell anyone or else b will be too crowded that day.Special Features:
- TimboVIPDined on 9/13/2014One of my favorite places to go....great food and service!Special Features:
- Lovely Restaurant, QuietHpyHrDined on 9/11/2014This was my first visit to B and I was not disappointed. The server was attentive and with the exception of the fried oyster appetizer, which was overly salty, it was a lovely evening. There were multiple, reasonably priced specials. We ate inside but the outside dining is very nice and overlooks a tree-lined neighborhood. I will be back.Special Features:
- Nice neighborhood restaurantOutoftownerDined on 8/26/2014b is a pleasant, relaxed bistro. It seemed a bit overpriced and service was slow, but a pleasant experience overall.Special Features:
- Not as good for brunchRhelf123Dined on 8/24/2014We love this place but our brunch experience wasn't anywhere near as good as dinner. The food was good but not great-with notably over salted salmon Benedict-but the real dissapountment was service. Slow, in attentive, and seemingly annoyed to be there, we were less than welcomed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- disappointedhelencVIPDined on 8/23/2014we have been to b many times, and this was disappointing. they had no knowledge of a confirmed Open Table reservation, but did fit us in. it was chaotic. service was okay-definitely not what it has been in the past.Special Features:
- Nice find!STepperDined on 8/19/2014So enjoyed our dinner at B's. Attentive service along with high quality food. Kudos!!!Special Features:
- Great service, lovely eveninganagramaVIPDined on 8/17/2014B Bistro is a pretty and peaceful place to dine outdoors on a late summer evening, so we took a guest who is elderly and very frail. She was welcomed with real warmth before she'd even reached the door, and the maitre d went to real lengths to make sure she was comfortable--a kindness that is rare in restaurants lately. So we were were loving this place even before the fantastic crab soup hit the table. It's one of those places that is cool and warm both, and we'll be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- lovely, but felt dissapointedbrawfriendlyDined on 8/17/2014The only downside was my very limited options being the raw vegan of the group. Instead of merely disassembling a salad to meet my needs, I feel that more effort could have been shown to give my salad more oomph! Don't get me wrong, I fully appreciated the small slices of avocado on top of the salad. However, there were other things on the menu and I'm sure in the kitchen that could have been added. (onion, tomato, peppers) I was asked about walnuts on top-thank you! It would have been nice to ooh and ahh over my selection. I did let you know in advance. For example at Woodberry, they on the fly made a gorgeous salad that made me swoon...it had everything and was artfully designed. I paid dearly for it, but didn't mind a bit.Special Features:
- fantastic food and neighborhoodOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/15/2014This is my fourth time at b and it has yet to disappoint.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Terrific!FlashVIPDined on 8/15/2014Always consistent, this bistro continually delivers outstanding food, service, and wine options. A real gem for Baltimore.Special Features: