6221 River Road
Richmond, VA 23229Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.azzurros.com/
- Phone: 8042821509
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30pm - 2:30pm; Dinner: Sunday: 5:00pm - 9:30pm, Tuesday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Bar / Lounge / Bottle Service, Italian
- Executive Chef: Carlos Navarrette
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Delivery, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: We offer off-site Catering Services as Weddings, Private Parties (Small and Large), Banquets, Rehearsal Dinners, Receptions, etc. We are a very flexible Catering service fully licensed. For more information on how we can make your event special, please call (804) 282-0880.
A word from Azzurro
Relaxed refinement, outstanding meals, and impeccable service blend to create unforgettable Italian dining at Azzurro. Whether seated on the softly-lit patio or inside near the comfort of a crackling fireplace, this award-winning restaurant embodies an elegant, yet warm, intimate ambiance. Here you will be greeted by a friendly, attentive staff eager to assist you with seating, menu selection, and an extensive wine list. Most important is our desire to provide an exceptional, memorable experience. Ranging from a casual luncheon to celebrating that most special occasion, Azzurro is the ideal choice.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Dining
Azzurro - Best Restaurants in Richmond ›
Azzurro reviews from OpenTable diners
118 reviews since May 5, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (68)neighborhood gem (59)great for outdoor dining (58)romantic (55)fit for foodies (43)notable wine list (35)great for lunch (35)great for brunch (32)good for groups (19)hot spot (12)vibrant bar scene (11)late-night find (6)kid-friendly (3)scenic view (1)Show More
- Mostly goodOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/28/2014Very nice dinner at Azzurro's - the dinner special (penne with fresh mozzarella and tomatoes) could have been excellent, but parts of it were ice cold. The kitchen was very busy, and I wondered if it had been sitting somewhere waiting to be brought to our table. I'd definitely return though... I've had excellent lunch and dinner experiences here.Special Features:
- Azzurro is specialJackDined on 8/27/2014We took out-of-town guests to Azzurro for dinner and had a very pleasant evening. I made our reservation through the OpenTable website and found it a great way to make a reservation. Our guests were mos impressed by the quiet competence and friendliness of the restaurant staff and the excellent dinners. We will be back.Special Features:
- Every Saturday for 20 years!lauri1VIPDined on 8/24/2014CONSISTENTLY great in every way. Indoors can get a bit noisy but it is just a really popular place so the tables are usually filled! The newly remodeled patio is lovely. The food is delicious, authentic Italian. Many vegetarian & gluten free options, served without a sneer!We have been to the most popular, most expensive, most raved-about in RVA- and the entire staff at Azzurro take the prize every year. Rarely is a wine or water glass left unfilled, the food is ALWAYS the right temperature, no one has ever served the next course before the first one is finished.And we hope that Carlos, the head chef, is treated like the king of chefs that he is-his dishes are creative, elegant & delicious! What a treat to dine at Azzurro!Special Features:
- MarciDined on 8/22/2014We love to dine at Azzurro, whether for lunch or dinner. The food and service are always outstanding. It can sometimes be noisy, but they have added some sound-absorbing panels, rugs, etc. so that it is much quieter than it used to be.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Can't wait to come back!WhitelinengoodwineDined on 8/20/2014The ambiance was great - white linen tablecloths, nicely dressed, convivial crowd but not stuffy. The menu had a lot of variety and there were specials that utilized fresh local produce (always a plus in my world!). I didn't love my first glass of wine so I asked for a taste of another and was pleasantly surprised when our server graciously replaced it with one I did like. We had the burrata (yummy fresh mozzarella with a creamy center) salad with heirloom tomatoes which was delicious and I also had the eggplant rollatini which was outstanding! My daughter had the capellini with fresh mozzarella, chicken and diced fresh tomato. That was also very good. I'd rank this as one of my new favorites!!Special Features:
- Disappointmentdisappointeddiner1Dined on 8/20/2014Very disappointing. My friend and I ordered the special which was a Caprese Panini toasted. The panini was flavorless. The french fries had an odd taste. This was my third visit. Two previous disappointing dinners. One was an angel hair with chicken, mozerella wine etc. regular item on menu and the other was a special fish of the day. Won't be back. Three is my limit.
- AnniversaryAnniversaryDined on 8/18/2014My wife and I chose Azzurro for our anniversary celebration. We were surprised with two glasses of champagne to toast the occasion. We shared the beet salad special. Our pasta entrees were delicious. I had the Bucatini Carbonara, and she had the Tortellini. We shared the La Bomba dessert, and the dark chocolate was devine. The service was very good. We enjoyed the quiet romantic dinner we hoped for on our special night.Special Features:
- Great Dining Experience!foodisgoodDined on 8/17/2014Went to Auzzuro to meet a friend and was so impressed by the food and ambiance that I will definitely be back. I have been bragging about it since.Special Features:
- Great for all occassions!quietmanDined on 8/16/2014I have be dinning at Azzurro's for a number of years, it is always well managed , with the food , service and wine selection being excellent! West and his staff are always alert to any thing they can do to make your dinning experience a wonderful one!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always great!!lauri1VIPDined on 8/16/2014You just can't do better than this--consistently fantastic! Love the patio!Special Features:
- frequentdinerVIPDined on 8/13/2014Can be a little noisy but consistently friendly staff, good food and good service.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved itwindycindiDined on 8/13/2014The food was Delicious. It was rather loud, too loud. Also, took the server a long time to bring the bill. They were great at refilling drinks, very timely.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 8/4/2014We ate on the patio which is very pretty and quieter than inside. There were 6 of us and all of us loved our entrees. The service was prompt but not over attentive. We go there for brunch, lunch and dinner!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First night out in a long time.AlmtDined on 8/2/2014My husband and I choose Azzurro for our first post baby date night and our first date night in over four months. We wanted something close to our neighborhood (westham) and special. Our meal was superb, the wine list was extensive and the atmosphere was elegant but relaxed. It is a bit noisy due to it's popularity, but the other patrons were a jubilant bunch. It's also pricey, but the portions are large enough to bring home leftovers (which were a great treat the next day) so you can really get four meals out of two. All in all it was a perfect meal and a perfect evening.Special Features:
- Luv2dineoutVIPDined on 8/1/2014Twice we have been seated at the same table that has the AC blowing right down on you and have moved. Unfortunately, we were moved to a table in the bar area. Not only was it so loud we couldn't even hear each other, but we had people's backsides in our face the entire meal! Other meals there have been delightful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- frequentdinerVIPDined on 7/30/2014We find all menu offerings to be very good but the most outstanding thing about this restaurant for us is the fact that all of the staff are friendly, helpful, and remember their loyal customers. A great place to unwind after a day at the office.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AnnaAnnaDined on 7/30/2014Nice lunch, relaxed, good service, great for a girlfriends' luncheon. Would have preferred a green other than Arugula for my luncheon salad with Apples etc as this lettuce is difficult to eat with a fork. Overall excellent salad and shrimp/tomato soup, however.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- cmmeachamDined on 7/27/2014The food was wonderful and very well served. It is a quiet and comfortable place to eat.Special Features:
- sonofachefDined on 7/25/2014I decided to order - "off menu". Simply described what I wanted, which was a lighter pasta dish than I could find on the menu. I asked them to prepare a pasta dish, maybe linguine, not too heavy, with some olive oil, scallions, garlic, a little fresh spinach, shrimp, white wine and some spices. The waiter had no problems, and once I put some fresh parmesan on it , it was perfect. Nice to have something like this place in Richmond (and not far from my home).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not a good night.ZsaZsaDined on 7/21/2014We have dined at Azzurro's on many occasions. We were there to celebrate my birthday and I decided to order something different. I had a caesar salad and the Chicken Picata. I have had the salad before and it was not as good as usual. I did not like the chicken picata at all. It was swimming in a watery lemon sauce and the chicken was chewy and unappetizing. It was a disappointing birthday dinner.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/20/2014IT IS A PLEASANT RESTAURANT I LIKE THEY HAVE TABLE CLOTHS, BUT THE SERVICE WAS NOT GOOD. OUR WAITER HARDLY EVER CAME BACK TO THE TABLE TO SEE IF WE WANTED ANOTHER DRINK OR ANYTHING. I DID LEAVE A 20% TIP, BUT FELT IT WAS NOT A GOOD EXPERIENCE. THE FOOD WAS SOSO, NOT THE BEST. I ALWAYS GO BACK BECAUSE THEY HAVE REAL CLOTH NAPKINS AND IT"S A COMFORTABLE AND LOVELY PLACE.Special Features:
- Ordinary Italian foodLuv2dine2Dined on 7/19/2014We ate outside on a pleasant evening which was very nice. The waiter was very attentive as well. We had calamari for appetizer which was good but both the tartar and tomato dipping options were pretty basic. I had the scallops in linguine but the scallops were very bland and added nothing to the dish. My husband had seafood combo of scallops, mussels, clams and shrimp but apparently both the mussels and clams were the smallest he'd ever seen and the scallops uninteresting. Another in our party did have the soup special and the crab and avocado salad both of which she did like. Overall, it was nice being outdoors with good wine but the food should have been much better especially given the expense.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We had a wonderful experience.hunneybunDined on 7/19/2014The service was outstanding as well as our food choices and our request through "Open Table" was met. We were treated upon arrival as if we dined there at least once a week - very friendly. The secondary staff was equally as accommatating as our regular server and they were never far away to meet your request and remove finished plates. It is one of our favorite dining places and we highly recommend it and look forward to a return visit very soon.Special Features:
- July 11, 2014bruceDined on 7/11/2014Every thing good except the duck breast was tough.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Italian food in AmericaOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/30/2014Best calamari I've enjoyed in Richmond. A few misspellings in the menu, but wonderful and authentic Italian food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Stupendo!Luv2eatoutVIPDined on 6/21/2014Delicious, fresh, wonderful food in a beautiful atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sunday BrunchRVAfoodiesDined on 6/15/2014Brunch with the family on Father's Day. Everyone loved the food and we thought the brunch menu offered a variety of choices. Our server was friendly and attentive.Special Features:
- Superb Dining ExperienceItalianChic10Dined on 6/15/2014Have dined at Azzurro often; their food and staff have never disappointed. Staff is professional, knowledgeable about menu and dining atmosphere is impeccable with linen tablecloths used at all times. A real treat when we go. By the way, parking is not a problem either.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WonderfulTrippDined on 6/14/2014I took a special date there and was completely satisfied with the service, food, and ambiance. I will be back soonSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/14/2014Been going here for many years and Wes and his staff are always 100% when it come s to product knowledge, service, and quality. Thanks for another enjoyable evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great eveningSeafoodloverDined on 6/13/2014Staff did great job taking care of 5 Hungary guys -- food was awesome and wine spectacular!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OkBrowneyedgirlDined on 6/12/2014Food was good but not great. We had a reservation and were seated right next to the waitstaff station. Our server disappeared for about 30 minutes. This was the first time my husband and I had been in over 6 years. We aren't dying to go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food Not Up to ParnewbieDined on 6/10/2014We were disappointed in our food. I ordered the special which was Mahi Mahi - it was very bland and the broccoli was overcooked and watery. My husband ordered Tre Scalini (a veal dish). The veal was not very tender. The beet salad was fine but at $13 very over priced. With entrees mostly in the mid to upper $20's, I think we should expect food at a higher quality. We were celebrating our anniversary and were disappointed.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/9/2014Excellent food. Nice ourside but very noisy inside.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BarbVIPDined on 6/9/2014Terrific, everything was perfect. Can't wait to return.Special Features:
- Still our favorite!inmyeversohumbleopinionVIPDined on 6/9/2014Azzurro is still our favorite restaurant in Richmond. Nowhere else gives you great food, great drinks, great service, AND great atmosphere. They have the BEST staff too...they are friendly, attentive, knowledgeable, and hardworking. Azzurro is the perfect spot for any occasion.Special Features:
- Lovely RestaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/3/2014Quiet, friendly atmosphere; food was outstanding; enjoyed the evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very lovely evening.betzinvaDined on 5/29/2014I was meeting two friends from college days We were seeking a great place to catch up, enjoy good food and wine, and spend a delightful evening. Azzurro met all our expectations. The service was very good, the menu selections were varied and creative, and the wine was delightful. We had a wonderful time creating new memories among gals that had been at Westhampton together, ahem, a number of years ago.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 5/23/2014I always love coming to Azzurro for a great meal particularly when it is an evening of celebration -- birthday, anniversary, etc. The mozzrella con proscuitto is a starter I can't wait to have every time I go. Every entree I have tried there through the years has been delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Mother's DayOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/11/2014I took my 93 year old mother to Azzurro for brunch. She usually only eats a bite or two, but she ate her entire quiche and said it was the best she ever had! Elegant, friendly, enjoyable experience.Special Features: