6221 River Road
Richmond, VA 23229Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.azzurros.com/
- Phone: (804) 282-1509
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30pm - 2:30pm; Dinner: Sunday: 5:00pm - 9:30pm, Tuesday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Bar / Lounge / Bottle Service, Italian
- Executive Chef: Carlos Navarrette
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Delivery, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: We offer off-site Catering Services as Weddings, Private Parties (Small and Large), Banquets, Rehearsal Dinners, Receptions, etc. We are a very flexible Catering service fully licensed. For more information on how we can make your event special, please call (804) 282-0880.
A word from Azzurro
Relaxed refinement, outstanding meals, and impeccable service blend to create unforgettable Italian dining at Azzurro. Whether seated on the softly-lit patio or inside near the comfort of a crackling fireplace, this award-winning restaurant embodies an elegant, yet warm, intimate ambiance. Here you will be greeted by a friendly, attentive staff eager to assist you with seating, menu selection, and an extensive wine list. Most important is our desire to provide an exceptional, memorable experience. Ranging from a casual luncheon to celebrating that most special occasion, Azzurro is the ideal choice.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Lunch
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Dining
Azzurro - Best Restaurants in Richmond ›
Azzurro reviews from OpenTable diners
123 reviews since July 29, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (71)special occasion (59)fit for foodies (54)great for outdoor dining (52)romantic (45)notable wine list (37)good for groups (34)great for lunch (33)great for brunch (26)hot spot (19)vibrant bar scene (18)late-night find (10)kid-friendly (5)scenic view (2)Show More
- Best Italian in Richmond!! Don't missTheBaronessVIPDined on 11/11/2014The food is simply the best italian in Richmond but the real appeal of the place is the feel of the atmosphere and the fabulous service....The pizza is amazing, and the wine list is exceptional but really it is the veal dishes and the pasta that sets them apart....and PLEASE don't miss the cheesecake....makes every other cheesecake seem like a pale comparison. It is simply fabulous!!! even if you are not a cheesecake fan TRY IT!! it will convert you....Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for guests and special occasionsEAJSDined on 11/11/2014Azzurro is a special place for many of us who work at the University of Richmond, which is right nearby. We take guests who we want to treat to a really nice meal: good food, elegant environment, good service, and in general great ambiance.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What a Night!RVANYCDined on 11/8/2014This one of those restaurants, that you have to work to find (no signage), but worth the search. The ambiance was outstanding. Table in back dining room near a beautiful wood burning fireplace. A very good wait staff and outstanding food. For starters you mush have the MOZZARELLA PROSCIUTTO, this was the best start to a great meal. The veal chop was cooked to perfection. Very good wine list. A must go to dining experience in RichmondSpecial Features:
- Birthday dinner with a friendRenaeVIPDined on 11/8/2014Everything about our evening at Azzurro was perfect. When making the reservation I had indicated that it was Nancy's birthday and I would like a candle in her dessert. To our surprise, our table was decorated with birthday glitter and we were seved glasses of champagne. Our entrees were delicious and service throughout the meal was attentive. Tiramisu was the best I've had anywhere. I know I will be going back to Azzurro soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- RoadWarrior2VIPDined on 11/7/2014Chicken Palarmo and Rissotto specials are always great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food and Good ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/7/2014We had an excellent waiter who was personable and knew the fare. Did not "over do" the service, so that my wife and I had time to talk and enjoy the food. My wife had a Rockfish special which was very good and I had the medallions of beef with an excellent cream sauce with spinich. Calamari appetizer was good, not great. Ambiance was good, but the space is limited and we had a table against the wall in an area with a lot of traffice. Not bad, but could have been better. Suggest asking for a specific table when reservations are made. Overall, I would definitely go again and we very muchy enjoyed the meal. Pricing was about what was expected and an average "value". Stacking take out pizza boxes on bar was only detraction from ambianceSpecial Features:
- luvfamilytimeDined on 11/5/2014We enjoyed a perfectly lovely 36 th Birthday lunch with my son.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always impressive!eatfreakDined on 11/3/2014The food and service at Azzurro is always impressive! I have been going there for many years and am never disappointed...It was a pasta night for my table and we were all very pleased with our meals...the Tortellini Azzurro is by far the best pasta dish in Richmond!!Their veal dishes are delicious. It is difficult to decide what to order because it is all so well done. I think this restaurant is often overlooked for more hip and trendy spots, but if you want an amazing meal with impeccable service, head to Azzurro.Special Features:
- AwesomeOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/1/2014The server was awesome. The food was great. Nothing to say negative about this place.Special Features:
- Never againRM14Dined on 10/24/2014Since I am limited to 50 characters, see my letter to the manager for details. Table--awful, small, in the wine. Wouldn't move us (2) to a table two or three up--"reserved," I was told. But I'd reserved at 9:30 am. Put at table in corridor next to bar. Loud foursome made any conversation impossible. My friend was even less complimentary--"arrogant, unwilling to bend...." So never again.Special Features:
- The best italian in richmond...TheBaronessVIPDined on 10/22/2014It is always the best italian....ordered off the menu and they did a fabulous job..Special Features:
- Dinner with friendsPoteetDined on 10/18/2014A great place for catching up. Food was delicious, portions are large. Salads with dinner could be shared.Special Features:
- Near Univ. of RichmondOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 10/18/2014Had the opportunity to take our grandson/ sophomore to Azzurro on Saturday. High quality food. Everything on the menu that you would expect from a very good Italian restaurant. A little loud but no so bad. Very close to University of Richmond.Special Features:
- Good food.Tasc28Dined on 10/17/2014Have been here several times over the years. It's a little pricy but not outrageous. Food is good, and I like that there are quite a few veal entrees. Atmosphere is nice. Fine for including school-aged children (there are pizzas on the menu). On our most recent visit, we had reservations on a Friday night. Our server was very pleasant, but service was painfully slow and it took far too long between our appetizers and our dinner. Although this was disappointing, we are likely to return at some point and give it one more chance, only because of past experiences where service was not delayed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very Popular (& Loud)JohnDined on 10/17/2014Good food (a little on the pricey side) and a venue which is obviously well liked. Full tables all the time in a relatively cramped environment. Maybe the patio (in warmer weather) would thin out the crowd and lower the sound level. Good, attentive wait staff who seemed to navigate and circulate through the restaurant.
- Great Italian Restaurant West EndmikemDined on 10/14/2014This is one of our favorite West End Restaurants. The avocado salad is excellent and all dishes are fresh.Special Features:
- happygal1Dined on 10/11/2014This was a special dinner for a friend.. little happy birthday words and wishes on the table.. nice touch!! And dessert with a candle.. unexpected. Thank you so much! Lovely waitress.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MizCClaustrophobicDined on 10/10/2014Loved the food and service good. Main problem is that tables are too close. Had trouble getting in and out without bumping somebody. Felt claustrophobic. Didn't use to be that crowded.Special Features:
- Average in Comparison to NormSouthsiderDined on 10/7/2014I'm come to Azzurro many times over the years to the point where I have come to really enjoy it. I had a gift card this time because I enjoy it that much and brought a first date here. I got some of my staples, the veal parm and the Tiramisu dessert. The Veal was dryer than usual, more heavily breaded and the sauce was bland. The Tiramisu actually had some liquid run off at the bottom. None of it was poor but not up to the usual standards that I had come to expect from Azzurro on a regular basis in the past. It won't stop me from coming again. I'll be sure to get the Eggplant Rollatini next time, an all time favorite.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Italiano!!AnnivCoupleDined on 10/4/2014Azzurro's never disappoints with the variety or the plethora of choices from its menu. Always fresh, always authentic, always cooked to your satisfaction. In fact, they can now make many pasta dishes gluten-free as well as their infamous pizzas - bravo!! The service was a bit slow for 5:30 pm on a Saturday night, it took us 1 hour to get our entrees. I also wish that we had not been seated near the fireplace since it was not operation, as there was a very sooty smell. All in all, we will go back and ask for a different table next time. The food and atmosphere make this restaurant a little gem.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent serviceSjibaDined on 10/1/2014This is our goto place with a son at nearby UR. Outstanding service, delicious food and incredibly convenient to UR. Can't beat location. The hostess was also superb accommodating our unique seating requests and outdoor seating is lovely. Thank you Azurro for making yet another vist to Richmond to see my son wonderful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PatioSarahVIPDined on 9/30/2014We sat outside and ate a delicious dinner on their beautiful patio. Everything was perfect - can't wait to go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pricey, but OKmydiningDined on 9/29/2014The first challenge was to find the front door. Although the door faced the parking lot, there was no sign to indicate that we had arrived at the right location. The sign was actually on the side of the building facing a side street. Once inside, the atmosphere resembled a nicer restaurant, but one had to walk through the bar to get to the main dining area. The menu was extensive, but everything was on the expensive side. Although I expected this, the $350 check that I paid at the end of the dinner for 6 people was excessive for the overall experience. I might try it again, but will probably experiment with another of the finer restaurants in Richmond. I would give it an overall rating of two and a half to three and a half stars.Special Features:
- I hope that it was an off nightOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/27/2014This was by far my worst meal ever at Azzurro. The service was way too slow (for example: the waiter asked us if we wanted dessert before we were served our entree - he assumed that we already ate or main course). I tried a new dish (grilled chicken pasta), and it had no flavor. I'm nearly positive that an ingredient was left out. I have dined at Azzurro for many years now, and it is one of my favorite restaurants. I'm hoping that this was just a bad night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very Good restaurantTheCausualDinnerDined on 9/27/2014This is my third time to frequent Azzuro's. Each time has been a pleasurable dinning experience with a nice mix of privacy and social setting at the tables. The food and atmosphere was very good. Our service, provided by Patrick was Excellent. He provided the right amount of attention.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/26/2014Was placed at an odd table against a pillar in the middle of the walkway out of the restroom/kitchen area. A regular table sat empty behind us all night. We had asked about it when we arrived, and were told all other tables were reserved. At the end, we asked again, and were told the reserver had downgraded to a smaller group. I had originally reserved a table for 6, but was kind and gracious enough to call the night before to change it to 5. I now suspect that the empty table was my original reservation, and I got stuck at this awful table as my reward for letting them know in advance that one of my guests were not coming. I won't make that mistake again, assuming I ever return to this restaurant.
- Good for all occassions!!quietmanDined on 9/24/2014I have been going to Azzurro's for a very long time! I have celebrated many special occasions and have just dropped by for a quick pizza and wine. I am always greeted by the owner/manager Wes and his staff with a smile and quick service. the wine list strong and Wes always has a recommendation if you don't want to take the time to pick a bottle. you cant go wrong on any occasion!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent experienceLocalEatrDined on 9/21/2014Sunday brunch selections were a good mix of lunch and breakfast offerings so that we could have whatever we wanted. The breakfast pizza was outstanding as were the french toast, cinnamon role, and muffins. Dining under an umbrella on the porch was perfect. Service was attentive and pleasant and responsive to requests. Overall a very good meal and a very nice time.Special Features:
- 2nd time at AzzuroGiantfan63Dined on 9/16/2014I went there 6 or 7 years ago with a business group. This time I took my grown daughter and several of her friends for a birthday dinner. We really enjoyed the surroundings and food. Wait staff was attentive but not pushy. I won't wait so long to dine there again. A must in Richmond if you enjoy Italian food. I also appreciated the casual attire of most patrons. Option seems to be as long as you come presentable you are welcome.Special Features:
- azzurro is greatKBF1Dined on 9/16/2014Really enjoyed a nice lunch at this restaurant. Food was very good, a little overcooked but yummy anyway.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- CEZgalDined on 9/13/2014Surprising good food. Nice atmosphere for a date or group. Impressive cocktail and wine list. Loved it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JLMSontheroadDined on 9/2/2014A very good meal with some splendid items. The Caesar salad was fresh but left something to be desired, and the spinach with the saltimboca did not pair perfectly. My daughter and I thought the scallops in Gorgonzola appetizer was fabulous, and my wife loved her lasagna. We had a very nice experience for my daughter's birthday.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mostly goodOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/28/2014Very nice dinner at Azzurro's - the dinner special (penne with fresh mozzarella and tomatoes) could have been excellent, but parts of it were ice cold. The kitchen was very busy, and I wondered if it had been sitting somewhere waiting to be brought to our table. I'd definitely return though... I've had excellent lunch and dinner experiences here.Special Features:
- Azzurro is specialJackDined on 8/27/2014We took out-of-town guests to Azzurro for dinner and had a very pleasant evening. I made our reservation through the OpenTable website and found it a great way to make a reservation. Our guests were mos impressed by the quiet competence and friendliness of the restaurant staff and the excellent dinners. We will be back.Special Features:
- Every Saturday for 20 years!lauri1VIPDined on 8/24/2014CONSISTENTLY great in every way. Indoors can get a bit noisy but it is just a really popular place so the tables are usually filled! The newly remodeled patio is lovely. The food is delicious, authentic Italian. Many vegetarian & gluten free options, served without a sneer!We have been to the most popular, most expensive, most raved-about in RVA- and the entire staff at Azzurro take the prize every year. Rarely is a wine or water glass left unfilled, the food is ALWAYS the right temperature, no one has ever served the next course before the first one is finished.And we hope that Carlos, the head chef, is treated like the king of chefs that he is-his dishes are creative, elegant & delicious! What a treat to dine at Azzurro!Special Features:
- MarciDined on 8/22/2014We love to dine at Azzurro, whether for lunch or dinner. The food and service are always outstanding. It can sometimes be noisy, but they have added some sound-absorbing panels, rugs, etc. so that it is much quieter than it used to be.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Can't wait to come back!WhitelinengoodwineDined on 8/20/2014The ambiance was great - white linen tablecloths, nicely dressed, convivial crowd but not stuffy. The menu had a lot of variety and there were specials that utilized fresh local produce (always a plus in my world!). I didn't love my first glass of wine so I asked for a taste of another and was pleasantly surprised when our server graciously replaced it with one I did like. We had the burrata (yummy fresh mozzarella with a creamy center) salad with heirloom tomatoes which was delicious and I also had the eggplant rollatini which was outstanding! My daughter had the capellini with fresh mozzarella, chicken and diced fresh tomato. That was also very good. I'd rank this as one of my new favorites!!Special Features:
- Disappointmentdisappointeddiner1Dined on 8/20/2014Very disappointing. My friend and I ordered the special which was a Caprese Panini toasted. The panini was flavorless. The french fries had an odd taste. This was my third visit. Two previous disappointing dinners. One was an angel hair with chicken, mozerella wine etc. regular item on menu and the other was a special fish of the day. Won't be back. Three is my limit.
- AnniversaryAnniversaryDined on 8/18/2014My wife and I chose Azzurro for our anniversary celebration. We were surprised with two glasses of champagne to toast the occasion. We shared the beet salad special. Our pasta entrees were delicious. I had the Bucatini Carbonara, and she had the Tortellini. We shared the La Bomba dessert, and the dark chocolate was devine. The service was very good. We enjoyed the quiet romantic dinner we hoped for on our special night.Special Features:
- Great Dining Experience!foodisgoodDined on 8/17/2014Went to Auzzuro to meet a friend and was so impressed by the food and ambiance that I will definitely be back. I have been bragging about it since.Special Features: