Azure - The Royal Hawaiian
2259 Kalakaua Avenue
Honolulu, HI 96815Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: $50 and over
Azure - The Royal Hawaiian
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.royal-hawaiian.com/the-resort/dining-entertainment/azure/
- Phone: (808) 931-7440
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Sunday: 5:30pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood
- Executive Chef: James "Shaymus" Alwin IV
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Azure - The Royal Hawaiian
This beautifully redesigned island seafood restaurant features locally caught fish fresh from the auction using high heat aromatic herb roasting or prepared with authentic local tropical flavors. A carefully chosen wine list accents the delicate seafood flavors. Open only in the evenings the venue spills out towards the Pacific with views of the water from nearly every vantage point.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
Azure - The Royal Hawaiian - Best Restaurants in Honolulu ›
Azure - The Royal Hawaiian reviews from OpenTable diners
68 reviews since July 31, 2014
- Ambiance4.6Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (56)scenic view (54)romantic (53)fit for foodies (45)great for outdoor dining (43)notable wine list (18)neighborhood gem (12)hot spot (12)good for groups (11)vibrant bar scene (5)kid-friendly (4)late-night find (2)great for lunch (2)great for brunch (1)Show More
- Absolutely Wonderful!OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 11/25/2014We dined here on our last night in Waikiki. The snapper was caught fresh that morning and was incredible. Our server, Greg, was attentive and ensured our evening was relaxing and spectacular. We will be dining here again on all return trips.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very enjoyable resturant week mealOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/23/2014Fantastic dinner. A couple weeks earlier we were at the hale aina awards and thoroughly enjoyed the soup dish presented at the awards and was pleased when I saw that Azure was participating in resturant week. Each of the dishes were a wonderful progression of tastes.Kampachi sashimi loved the Yusu dressing. Very creamy soup w roasted pumpkin seeds. Yum ! How can you go wrong w filet and foie gras. Perfectly presented and seasoned. Pumpkin and apple panacotta was just right. Nice and light. Our server also asked us if we wanted to have our desert n coffe outside. Very relaxing end to a very enjoyable meal. Will def return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/23/2014Everything from our drinks to desserts were noteworthy and delicious. We came in for our anniversary and we were treated wonderfully by the host staff, server, and food runners. It was a pleasure dinning with you.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very Impressed CustomerOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/23/2014I've heard nothing but good things about Azure, and my date and I were not disappointed with the whole experience. Right away, just being in the Royal Hawaiian Hotel made it feel It like we were royalty indeed. We were seated shortly after being greeted, thanks to our Open Table reservation, and were led through a very open and intimate environment, to our outdoor table that was literally steps away from the beach. It was Restaurant Week, and we had the menu they created for it, my personal favorites being the prawns and the filet with foie gras and Hamakua mushrooms. And every dish was paired well with the right wine. From the hotel, the decor, the wonderful wait staff, excellently done meal and wine pairing, Azure has made me a fan. I'm glad that I have a new favorite for a quality dining experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- disappointed.808foodieDined on 11/23/2014Azure is my personal favorite special occasion seafood restaurant. Sitting on the lanai at sunset is ideal and romantic. We went there during restaurant week for purely sentimental reasons . I thought it was strange that their tasting menu ended with a filet, not a fish entree. We weren't asked how we wanted it done ( it came out medium- medium rare) the piece we got was about 3 inches long , about 1.25 inches wide and a small piece of foie gras. The steak was slightly chewy. The only fish was an appetizer 2 piece kampachi sashimi in ponzu /shoyu sauce.. The butternut squash soup with lobster was the most filling. Something came out with a tiny sized salad, but I forgot what it was. The dessert was very nice. Too bad I didn't save the little menu.. When I remarked my surprise that the restaurant was serving meat for the entree, the server told me that if someone complained, they were offered fish instead. But they weren't offering it unless there was a complaint. I wish I had known that. We did know what they were serving, it just sounded better on paper. It was the priciest of the Restaurant week menus we looked at. I don't feel it was a good value and I was disappointed with the food for the first time in 7 years. We had a much better meal at Chef Chai's earlier in the week.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Restaurant week splurgeRWCPCBDined on 11/23/2014I'm glad I was able to experience this Restaurant. It was good but I wasn't overwhelmed with the food. Of course the setting was outstanding especially for visitors. Unfortunately cost:food ratio won't have me coming back unless someone else is paying.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- cwhyDined on 11/23/2014If I had more money id go more often. Service was very attentive but not pretentious. How wonderful to be able to go more often.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/19/2014We was given a table outside facing the ocean which was great. We tried their "Restaurant Week Hawaii" special which consist of 5 courses. The food was great and very tasty. Service was excellent. Definitely will go there again!Special Features:
- Gourmet food and gorgeous viewskaimukimomVIPDined on 11/18/2014The food was fantastic. We came with two other couples and all ordered the restaurant week menu. The foie gras was melt in the mouth tasty! Everything was wonderful and worth every calorie! Definitely putting Azure back on our dining favs.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- best meal in waikiki!!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/16/2014I have a had a great experience every time we visit Azure at the royal Hawaiian. It is a must for all my trips to Oahu. You cant beat the fresh fish and beautiful views. You have to get the sashimi and whatever they recommend for the fresh fish, i love the opaka paka. This is a great place for a special occasion or romantic dinner. Thank you azure for yet another great meal!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best restaurant in Oahu!SjrollergirlVIPDined on 11/15/2014Azure is an outstanding restaurant with excellent service, romantic ambiance and exquisite cuisine! A true gem in the middle of bustling Waikiki!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Memorable mealLuv2dineDined on 11/10/2014This was our second time at Azure and it was even better than the first. Our server Greg was so helpful and pleasant and happily shared his knowledge of the menu and wine list with us. The food was outstanding. We did the 5 course degustation menu with matching wines which we thoroughly enjoyed. This is our favourite restaurant in Hawaii.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 1st Timers Hm9z1VIPDined on 10/31/2014Decided to try someplace NEW for our dining adventures & I'm glad we did. We were not disappointed. Our waiter was Tom & he was AMAZING. My BF had the Island Spiced Ahi w/Scallops & I the pre-fixed chef's dinner w/wine pairing. All we can say is EXCELLENT. Portions are perfect & the price is right. At the end of our dining experience Tom introduced our chef (Mark ?) to us. Great guy! Will surely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Waikiki experienceEduHavaiUSDined on 10/29/2014We had such a Great Waikiki experience, nice service and food. Highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great service, good foodWaikanae1Dined on 10/18/2014Service here was excellent though the benches were too low to eat comfortably on. Food was good but sadly underwhelming. I was expecting more finesse and flavourSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- EnjoyableTaffsterDined on 10/13/2014A lovely restaurant. The Tasting Menu was lovely however the Risotto was way too salty. Also table booked for 8.45 meant we felt we were being rushed through every dish. One arriving as the previous was being removed!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beachside dining at its finestOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 10/3/2014Wonderful meal in a perfect setting, fresh fish choices were excellent;,staff most accommodatingSpecial Features:
- beautifulAlohaEatsDined on 10/2/2014A favorite restaurant of my wife and I. Right on the beach. Beautiful sunset and beach dining. Love the whole fried fish. Fantastic.Special Features:
- Amazing!dassodopeDined on 9/26/2014The service was great as well as the FOOD!! I have recommended this place to several people already. We will definitely be back!Special Features:
- Diamonds and Pearls!PinkPowerDined on 9/24/2014Azure is a gem! Whether with a significant other or in this case GNO, we enjoyed every minute and every detail! From start to finish, it is a flawless and memorable experience. The food, service, ambiance, and even the clientele fits every aspect of what I want in a dining experience. Simply amazing and highly recommended as reservations are needed in advance!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Steak was the highlightTriciaLDined on 9/22/2014I did their tasting menu skipping the bread bowl. First course sushi with ginger soy was delicious even though I don't usually like yellow fin. Second course was seafood cappuccino which can be likened to a cioppino which reminded me that I should make one for my birthday. Third course of lobster risotto was slightly salty for me. Fourth course was beef poached in butter topped with quail egg. The quail egg didn't add anything to the dish. Fifth course was a very forgettable dessert of some sort of ice cream. That was a let down. If I go back, I'll skip the appetizer, head straight to main course of steak and ordering a decent dessert.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/20/2014Azure is a treat at every level of the experience. Our server (Sadly I forget his name) was literally the best server I have ever experienced. The perfect mix of attentiveness and privacy. We will DEFINITELY be coming here each time we're in Waikiki.Special Features:
- Excellent2HonestVIPDined on 9/20/2014This unsuspecting hotel restaurant delivers.... In every way. The food is excellent, focusing on local super fresh fish. Good value as each entree comes with various sides. Atmosphere is lovely, quiet. The waiters are experienced, sophisticated adults who know service. Very refreshing. Drinks are innovative and super fun. We have been a number of time and Azure is consistently good. The deconstructed Ceasar salad is not to be missed.Special Features:
- Great food excellent serviceAussiegirlDined on 9/20/2014We came here after reading good reviews online. It was one of the best dining experiences I have had. We had the tasting menu with matching wines. The food was superb and the wind selection matched perfectly. Tom our waiter was an absolute gem and took great care of us. I would highly recommend this restaurantSpecial Features:
- Very goodAldoDined on 9/17/2014Excellent services, very good fish, very good wineSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect romantic eveningOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/16/2014My girlfriend and I celebrated a special occasion at Azure and it was the absolutely ideal romantic evening for us. Everyone from the hosts and hostesses to the bartender and waiter were very welcoming and did everything they could to make us comfortable and happy. The five course tasting menu was one of the best culinary experiences of our lives. Every dish was prepared and presented to perfection. I would strongly recommend this world class restaurant over all others to anyone looking to enjoy the best Waikiki and Oahu has to offer. There is no equal on this island.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tasting menu - fantasticModernCentrumDined on 9/13/2014The tasting menu and wine pairing is divine. One of the best meals in Honolulu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- CasualGourmetGhettoGoerVIPDined on 9/8/2014How many restaurants can you go to where there is an insert in the menu where there is a box indicating which fish on the menu was selected at the local fish auction? I'm guessing, only this restaurant. We ate what was arguably the best ahi we have ever had; it was so tender and flavorful. One should definitely try the exquisite "black magic" spiced seared yellowfin and scallops, as well as the sweet 5 spice opakapaka. The atmosphere on the beach is impeccable and the service is refreshingly low key but informative. If you are a foodie but shy away from the stuffy atmosphere at most fine dining restaurants, Azure is the place to go!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingFoodieLCVIPDined on 8/26/2014I booked a reservation at azure after a quick look at the menu, and seeing it was right on the beach. The view and the ambiance were lovely, but the food and the service were just so-so for the price.Special Features:
- Excellence!thatfoodguyVIPDined on 8/23/2014We recently celebrated our 30th anniversary here and could not have been more pleased! The fish was prepared flawlessly and the service was excellent! Truly a wonderful evening!Special Features:
- Great PlacelovefoodDined on 8/20/2014We celebrated our Twentieth Wedding Anniversary at Azure. The walk through the grounds of the Royal Hawaiian was great. This place is absolutely beautiful. The food was terriffi as well as the complimentary anniversary dessert. Since this was our anniversary, I didn't worry about the cost and knew it would be expensive and it certainly was. However, our server must have been new or something. She was barely there for us except to rush us. There was a waiter serving a table near us that was very helpful but not ours.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great service and foodDP314Dined on 8/15/2014Amazing food and service if you don't mind spending some money.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beautiful restaurant to dine in.ConabbaDined on 7/31/2014Absolutely beautiful ambience accompanied with great food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 534 reviews are from the Azure - The Royal Hawaiian reviews archive.
- Repurposed Rooms Don't WorkOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/26/2014The reservation says that this is supposed to be "business casual", as this is a repurposed breakfast/lunch venue, it turned out to be island wear. That's all well and good if that is what the restaurant allows. And yet, when we went to Orchids during this trip it seemed as though the same dress code was actually observed. The food was too complicated, much like Chef Mavro. We ultimately had champagne and appetizers and dessert. The staff, and I want to make this very clear, was wonderful. When we return, however, we won't be coming back for dinner.
- Jim65Dined on 7/26/2014Outstanding menu selections, especially the number and variety of fresh fish. Excellent wine choices. Can not be beat ocean side location on Waikiki Beach. Gracious and attentive service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellence in dining!WilkongkDined on 7/22/2014Excellent food, service and dining experience overall. I would highly recommend Azure especially for a fine dining experience for a birthday or anniversary.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- HappyHappyCustomerDined on 7/19/2014Great, awesome service and nice wine selection. Seafood risotto dish was great, "Black Magic" prepared opah was overcooked. Side foie gras and lobster tail were the saviors. Desert selection was not extensive, but finished the evening nicely. The birthday surprise was a really nice touch, too. Thank you! I'm sure we'll be back for more.Special Features:
- AwesomeAPriceDined on 7/18/2014We had the tasting menu and everything was excellent. The wine pairing was amazing. The scenery from the cabana table was beautiful. It doesn't get any better than this place!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unhappy with TableWillDined on 7/17/2014More effort should have been made by hostess to better accommodate table request. Although reservations were made far in advance, we were given a table near the entrance dealing with plenty of foot traffic. Request for particular seating not honored. Very disappointing. Everything else was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Couldn't have been bettertraveler1tVIPDined on 7/15/2014I stay at the Royal Hawaiian on business trips to Honolulu. While I often eat breakfast at Azure, I haven't had dinner there in a long time. I took my son and daughter in law there recently and we had a wonderful time. The ambiance couldn't be better--right on the beach with a view of Diamond Head. The service was fantastic, as was the food. We couldn't have asked for a better evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.