Azure - The Royal Hawaiian
2259 Kalakaua Avenue
Honolulu, HI 96815Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: $50 and over
Azure - The Royal Hawaiian
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.royal-hawaiian.com/the-resort/dining-entertainment/azure/
- Phone: 8089317440x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Sunday: 5:30pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood
- Executive Chef: James "Shaymus" Alwin IV
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Azure - The Royal Hawaiian
This beautifully redesigned island seafood restaurant features locally caught fish fresh from the auction using high heat aromatic herb roasting or prepared with authentic local tropical flavors. A carefully chosen wine list accents the delicate seafood flavors. Open only in the evenings the venue spills out towards the Pacific with views of the water from nearly every vantage point.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
Azure - The Royal Hawaiian - Best Restaurants in Honolulu ›
Azure - The Royal Hawaiian reviews from OpenTable diners
66 reviews since May 17, 2014
- Ambiance4.6Noise LevelModerate
scenic view (57)special occasion (53)romantic (49)great for outdoor dining (42)fit for foodies (38)notable wine list (18)neighborhood gem (9)good for groups (9)hot spot (7)late-night find (5)kid-friendly (3)great for brunch (2)vibrant bar scene (2)great for lunch (1)Show More
- CasualGourmetGhettoGoerVIPDined on 9/8/2014How many restaurants can you go to where there is an insert in the menu where there is a box indicating which fish on the menu was selected at the local fish auction? I'm guessing, only this restaurant. We ate what was arguably the best ahi we have ever had; it was so tender and flavorful. One should definitely try the exquisite "black magic" spiced seared yellowfin and scallops, as well as the sweet 5 spice opakapaka. The atmosphere on the beach is impeccable and the service is refreshingly low key but informative. If you are a foodie but shy away from the stuffy atmosphere at most fine dining restaurants, Azure is the place to go!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingFoodieLCVIPDined on 8/26/2014I booked a reservation at azure after a quick look at the menu, and seeing it was right on the beach. The view and the ambiance were lovely, but the food and the service were just so-so for the price.Special Features:
- Excellence!thatfoodguyVIPDined on 8/23/2014We recently celebrated our 30th anniversary here and could not have been more pleased! The fish was prepared flawlessly and the service was excellent! Truly a wonderful evening!Special Features:
- Great PlacelovefoodDined on 8/20/2014We celebrated our Twentieth Wedding Anniversary at Azure. The walk through the grounds of the Royal Hawaiian was great. This place is absolutely beautiful. The food was terriffi as well as the complimentary anniversary dessert. Since this was our anniversary, I didn't worry about the cost and knew it would be expensive and it certainly was. However, our server must have been new or something. She was barely there for us except to rush us. There was a waiter serving a table near us that was very helpful but not ours.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great service and foodDP314Dined on 8/15/2014Amazing food and service if you don't mind spending some money.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beautiful restaurant to dine in.ConabbaDined on 7/31/2014Absolutely beautiful ambience accompanied with great food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Repurposed Rooms Don't WorkOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/26/2014The reservation says that this is supposed to be "business casual", as this is a repurposed breakfast/lunch venue, it turned out to be island wear. That's all well and good if that is what the restaurant allows. And yet, when we went to Orchids during this trip it seemed as though the same dress code was actually observed. The food was too complicated, much like Chef Mavro. We ultimately had champagne and appetizers and dessert. The staff, and I want to make this very clear, was wonderful. When we return, however, we won't be coming back for dinner.
- Jim65Dined on 7/26/2014Outstanding menu selections, especially the number and variety of fresh fish. Excellent wine choices. Can not be beat ocean side location on Waikiki Beach. Gracious and attentive service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellence in dining!WilkongkDined on 7/22/2014Excellent food, service and dining experience overall. I would highly recommend Azure especially for a fine dining experience for a birthday or anniversary.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- HappyHappyCustomerDined on 7/19/2014Great, awesome service and nice wine selection. Seafood risotto dish was great, "Black Magic" prepared opah was overcooked. Side foie gras and lobster tail were the saviors. Desert selection was not extensive, but finished the evening nicely. The birthday surprise was a really nice touch, too. Thank you! I'm sure we'll be back for more.Special Features:
- AwesomeAPriceDined on 7/18/2014We had the tasting menu and everything was excellent. The wine pairing was amazing. The scenery from the cabana table was beautiful. It doesn't get any better than this place!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unhappy with TableWillDined on 7/17/2014More effort should have been made by hostess to better accommodate table request. Although reservations were made far in advance, we were given a table near the entrance dealing with plenty of foot traffic. Request for particular seating not honored. Very disappointing. Everything else was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Couldn't have been bettertraveler1tVIPDined on 7/15/2014I stay at the Royal Hawaiian on business trips to Honolulu. While I often eat breakfast at Azure, I haven't had dinner there in a long time. I took my son and daughter in law there recently and we had a wonderful time. The ambiance couldn't be better--right on the beach with a view of Diamond Head. The service was fantastic, as was the food. We couldn't have asked for a better evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved it!luvfoodDined on 7/14/2014Loved the tasting menu. Just the right amount of food and it was great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DeliciousTastebudsDined on 7/11/2014We had just checked into the Royal Hawaiian and were so relieved to have a relaxing dinner with delicious food and gracious service! Our reservations were at 8:30 and we loved the sound of the waves and seeing the waves crash on the beach.Special Features:
- Excellent Food and ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/8/2014Very unique menu of fresh seafood and other fusion dishes. The waiter was extremely knowledgeable about the menu, the preparation and even the origin of the ingredients v impressive. Food was a ten. I was surprised that the portions were larger than you would anticipate at a fine dining restaurant so it is possible to even split certain dishes. Which makes this a great value since it is superior to most places that I have been in Hawaii. The only negative is that there was a very loud private party that night outside the restaurant and it kind of spoiled the ambiance. The hostess did do her best to locate us where it was minimized. But I would do there when in Hawaii over almost any other restaurant.Special Features:
- Delicious food & beautiful settingSupergirlDined on 7/7/2014Dining at Azure was a highlight of our recent stay in Waikiki. We were seated outside and it was absolutely beautiful. We all had the tasting menu with matching wine (except for our son who was under 21) and the food was memorable. The boys raved about the beef. I don't eat red meat and so had another delicious fish dish instead. Will definitely return if we are lucky enough to visit Waikiki againSpecial Features:
- too much trafficmushihnlDined on 7/1/2014annoying people walking by in all manner of dress. dining area should be blocked off so people from the bar, beach or just hotel guests aren't walking by constantly, very annoying ...................Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food and serviceDanaNVIPDined on 6/29/2014Fresh fish in Hawaii is a must...especially at Azure! They are many varieties of the fresh caught fish of the day, in which could be prepared in many ways...island way is the best! The entire menu is full of many delicious treats! The service was outstanding and the staff was very knowledgable, professional and extremely courteous! Everything was spectacular!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pink Palace and Great FoodakohamickDined on 6/29/2014Beautiful views, great service, and excellent food. The fish choices are plentiful and tasty. There are only two things that prevent it from an excellent rating and they are: the doors remain open, so on a humid day or night, it can be uncomfortable and the wine list doesn't have enough single glass choices of wines, in addition the wine prices are a little over-priced, even for this quality and style of restaurant. A great choice for those who like fine dining.Special Features:
- JennheinDined on 6/24/2014We had the degustation menu in a cabana, which was sooooo fantastic. Seriously, the best meal I've ever had. The lobster tail and the tenderloin were a tie for most delicious, but everything was great. The wine pairings were a fun addition. It was a once and a lifetime splurge for our 20th anniversary, that I would highly recommend to anyone. And our waiter, Jan, was wonderful. He took excellent care of us. :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Beautiful Night OutGoCatsDined on 6/17/2014We had a wonderful dinner at Azure under the guidance of Scott, our waiter, who knew his menu. We had the fillet steak starter which was outstanding, then we had the local fish. Both enjoyed our choices. Desserts were a generous size and delicious. I had the pineapple and lime key pie with pavlova, mm, loved it. Scott suggested a cocktail, with lemon and lime(forget the name) and it was so good, I had another! It was a lovely evening and we enjoyed watching all of the beach action from our table. A must when visiting Honolulu. Thanks Scott for your wonderful service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful experienceWinegalDined on 6/12/2014The service and food was fantastic. The fresh fish was done to perfection, we had Ahi and Moonfish. The view from the outdoor terrace was wonderful!Special Features:
- LizaDined on 6/7/2014Fabulous food, fabulous service and incredible view!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect Dining ExperienceAzureBirthdayDined on 6/3/2014Was very accomodating for my special occasion. Perfect evening. Lamb Chops and Okapaku were fantastic. The staff, food and drinks were OUTSTANDING. Can't give enough praise. The price is what you would spend on a special evening and for what we received we were more than happy with what we received for our money.Special Features:
- My new favorite Waikiki dining spotAmOrDined on 6/2/2014I picked the place when I learned that they get their fish from Pier 38. My bf, who happens to be the birthday boy that day, doesn't eat sashimi but he promised to try. I wanted him to have the best 'first time' experience so I had to get him to a place that uses only quality fish. The seared ahi did not disappoint. The ribeye was excellent and portions are huge! We had to bring back leftovers to our hotel. Moreover. David. our server was so great all around! He also indulged us by becoming our 'professional photographer' for the evening. He was so keen on getting the perfect shot. He made it a point to capture the celebratory mood and the great scenery in every frame. :) We had great pictures! As my friends say, postcard-perfect photos.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing!NavywifeDined on 5/30/2014Amazing as always. When family or friends come to visit THIS is the place we take them. 5 star service and incredible food, beautiful views. We always, always feel special when we dine at Azure. Thank you Richard for continuing to impress our dinner guests.Special Features:
- Wouldn't have done it differently!MidnighthiroDined on 5/28/2014I'm going to skip all the compliments that everyone else has already given to Azure. Here's my tips: *if you're debating between Roy's Waikiki or Azure, both are great. Go with Roy's if you're on a budget but still want a fancy-ish dinner. But if you don't mind splurging for a special occasion, GO WITH AZURE. Our total was about $300 with tips (both ordered the tasting menu with a cocktail & added foie gras). *if you're like me who can't ever decide what to eat, go with the tasting menu. Allows you to get a taste of their best dishes. *If you've never tried foie gras, ADD IT to your tasting menu. The taste wasn't overly strong that make you go ew, liver! For the price and a melting liver...I think it's worth it. *ASK FOR OCEAN VIEW. :)Special Features:
- BrownBunnyDined on 5/24/2014Beautiful setting and dining experience for a special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- delicious, but busyeatthemeatDined on 5/20/2014Wife and I were celebrating our 10-year anniversary when we went to eat here. We arrived at 8:30 because the drive back from the north shore took so long. Needless to say, we were hungry. It was half an hour before we even ordered and another 20 mins before the food arrived. There was some other party going on at the time, so we were clearly sidelined on occasion. Besides that, the food was superb and the waiter kind. I'd be hard-pressed to spend that much again for anything less than perfection, but I don't eat out at these types of restaurants very often anyway.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- light for outdoor areaYanLokDined on 5/20/2014would be great to have a few torches along the outdoor area, was little too dark to see outside at 7:45pm.Special Features:
- From start to finish MARVELLOUS!JaneysDined on 5/20/2014Loved every aspect of our dining. Our total experience was amazing and we can't wait to return and have the tasting plate again. Brilliant!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 507 reviews are from the Azure - The Royal Hawaiian reviews archive.
- MehMangiamoDined on 5/16/2014Service needs some help: Hostess was rude, telling us the kitchen closed at 9pm (then why offer an 8:45 reservation on OT?). Server was...odd. Forcefully telling us not to order a side that "no one likes" (it was very tasty). Ocean salad (large, we split) was delicious, husband had opakapaka and I had seafood risotto. Both very good. Loved the breads/crackers and the butter sprinkled with Hawaiian sea salt. Chocolate gelato was so-so. The bar area adjoins the dining area and unfortunately some loud and obnoxious patrons were cussing and yelling all evening, which definitely interfered with our enjoyment of the evening. Altogether, seems like it might be a nice place for lunch or early dinner, but for a late dinner not so much.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- So delicious!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/6/2014We had the tasting menu that included the Azure Sashimi (avocado filling and ponzu type sauce was perfect compliment), Ocean Cappuccino (lots of crab/shrimp), Kona Lobster tail Risotto (soooo delicious) and Kula Strawberry & Fior Di Latte (tasty). My husband had the Butter Poached Filet of Beef (melt in your mouth goodness) and I had the Monchong (yummy, too). Everything was so good. Looking forward to another visit to try other things on their menu! Service was excellent - our waiter was very knowledgeable and attentive. Now on our "special dining places" list!Special Features:
- Anniversary dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 5/5/2014Excellent ambiance and food, quickly prepared (although the portions were not large). Perfect for our wedding anniversary. They put us at a table by the beach, overlooking the spot offshore where we were married.Special Features:
- Superb Oceanfront RestaurantBusTrvlrDined on 5/2/2014Based on reviews, selected Azure from 4 others after reviewing the online menus. My wife had the crimson snapper in restaurant style and I had the seafood risotto - both outstanding. The snapper preparation (and presentation) was the best fish dish in years. Highly recommended. Expected signature restaurant in the Royal Hawaiian.Special Features:
- Outstanding SashimiOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/2/2014The service was outstanding, as was the Azure Sashimi small plate.Special Features:
- BirthdayNapolitanoDined on 5/1/2014We were celebrate the birthday of my wife and the service was perfect! The ambiente as well as the food were great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worth the waitMespoDined on 5/1/2014My wife and I ate at Azure after friends told us about their dinner from the night before. They were right - the food was terrific, ambiance was spectacular, and the service was (thanks to Brent) impeccable and personal. The only minor issue to mention is we were not prepared for the pace at which the courses were served. We spent a bit more than 2 hours at dinner (8:00pm reservation), which is fine and quite enjoyable when you plan for it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- azurebrandonfromhawaiiDined on 4/25/2014Its a great place to take your other half. Great for dates. Mai tai bar located right outside. Great central location to walk around waikiki after. I recommend this place to every oneSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.