Azure - The Royal Hawaiian
2259 Kalakaua Avenue
Honolulu, HI 96815Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: $50 and over
Azure - The Royal Hawaiian
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.royal-hawaiian.com/the-resort/dining-entertainment/azure/
- Phone: 8089317440x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Sunday: 5:30pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood
- Executive Chef: James "Shaymus" Alwin IV
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Azure - The Royal Hawaiian
This beautifully redesigned island seafood restaurant features locally caught fish fresh from the auction using high heat aromatic herb roasting or prepared with authentic local tropical flavors. A carefully chosen wine list accents the delicate seafood flavors. Open only in the evenings the venue spills out towards the Pacific with views of the water from nearly every vantage point.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
Azure - The Royal Hawaiian - Best Restaurants in Honolulu ›
Azure - The Royal Hawaiian reviews from OpenTable diners
64 reviews since June 27, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
scenic view (51)special occasion (51)romantic (46)fit for foodies (38)great for outdoor dining (37)notable wine list (19)good for groups (11)hot spot (11)neighborhood gem (11)kid-friendly (4)late-night find (4)vibrant bar scene (4)great for brunch (2)great for lunch (1)Show More
- Great service, good foodWaikanae1Dined on 10/18/2014Service here was excellent though the benches were too low to eat comfortably on. Food was good but sadly underwhelming. I was expecting more finesse and flavourSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- EnjoyableTaffsterDined on 10/13/2014A lovely restaurant. The Tasting Menu was lovely however the Risotto was way too salty. Also table booked for 8.45 meant we felt we were being rushed through every dish. One arriving as the previous was being removed!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beachside dining at its finestOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 10/3/2014Wonderful meal in a perfect setting, fresh fish choices were excellent;,staff most accommodatingSpecial Features:
- beautifulAlohaEatsDined on 10/2/2014A favorite restaurant of my wife and I. Right on the beach. Beautiful sunset and beach dining. Love the whole fried fish. Fantastic.Special Features:
- Amazing!dassodopeDined on 9/26/2014The service was great as well as the FOOD!! I have recommended this place to several people already. We will definitely be back!Special Features:
- Diamonds and Pearls!PinkPowerDined on 9/24/2014Azure is a gem! Whether with a significant other or in this case GNO, we enjoyed every minute and every detail! From start to finish, it is a flawless and memorable experience. The food, service, ambiance, and even the clientele fits every aspect of what I want in a dining experience. Simply amazing and highly recommended as reservations are needed in advance!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Steak was the highlightTriciaLDined on 9/22/2014I did their tasting menu skipping the bread bowl. First course sushi with ginger soy was delicious even though I don't usually like yellow fin. Second course was seafood cappuccino which can be likened to a cioppino which reminded me that I should make one for my birthday. Third course of lobster risotto was slightly salty for me. Fourth course was beef poached in butter topped with quail egg. The quail egg didn't add anything to the dish. Fifth course was a very forgettable dessert of some sort of ice cream. That was a let down. If I go back, I'll skip the appetizer, head straight to main course of steak and ordering a decent dessert.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/20/2014Azure is a treat at every level of the experience. Our server (Sadly I forget his name) was literally the best server I have ever experienced. The perfect mix of attentiveness and privacy. We will DEFINITELY be coming here each time we're in Waikiki.Special Features:
- Excellent2HonestVIPDined on 9/20/2014This unsuspecting hotel restaurant delivers.... In every way. The food is excellent, focusing on local super fresh fish. Good value as each entree comes with various sides. Atmosphere is lovely, quiet. The waiters are experienced, sophisticated adults who know service. Very refreshing. Drinks are innovative and super fun. We have been a number of time and Azure is consistently good. The deconstructed Ceasar salad is not to be missed.Special Features:
- Great food excellent serviceAussiegirlDined on 9/20/2014We came here after reading good reviews online. It was one of the best dining experiences I have had. We had the tasting menu with matching wines. The food was superb and the wind selection matched perfectly. Tom our waiter was an absolute gem and took great care of us. I would highly recommend this restaurantSpecial Features:
- Very goodAldoDined on 9/17/2014Excellent services, very good fish, very good wineSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect romantic eveningOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/16/2014My girlfriend and I celebrated a special occasion at Azure and it was the absolutely ideal romantic evening for us. Everyone from the hosts and hostesses to the bartender and waiter were very welcoming and did everything they could to make us comfortable and happy. The five course tasting menu was one of the best culinary experiences of our lives. Every dish was prepared and presented to perfection. I would strongly recommend this world class restaurant over all others to anyone looking to enjoy the best Waikiki and Oahu has to offer. There is no equal on this island.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tasting menu - fantasticModernCentrumDined on 9/13/2014The tasting menu and wine pairing is divine. One of the best meals in Honolulu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- CasualGourmetGhettoGoerVIPDined on 9/8/2014How many restaurants can you go to where there is an insert in the menu where there is a box indicating which fish on the menu was selected at the local fish auction? I'm guessing, only this restaurant. We ate what was arguably the best ahi we have ever had; it was so tender and flavorful. One should definitely try the exquisite "black magic" spiced seared yellowfin and scallops, as well as the sweet 5 spice opakapaka. The atmosphere on the beach is impeccable and the service is refreshingly low key but informative. If you are a foodie but shy away from the stuffy atmosphere at most fine dining restaurants, Azure is the place to go!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingFoodieLCVIPDined on 8/26/2014I booked a reservation at azure after a quick look at the menu, and seeing it was right on the beach. The view and the ambiance were lovely, but the food and the service were just so-so for the price.Special Features:
- Excellence!thatfoodguyVIPDined on 8/23/2014We recently celebrated our 30th anniversary here and could not have been more pleased! The fish was prepared flawlessly and the service was excellent! Truly a wonderful evening!Special Features:
- Great PlacelovefoodDined on 8/20/2014We celebrated our Twentieth Wedding Anniversary at Azure. The walk through the grounds of the Royal Hawaiian was great. This place is absolutely beautiful. The food was terriffi as well as the complimentary anniversary dessert. Since this was our anniversary, I didn't worry about the cost and knew it would be expensive and it certainly was. However, our server must have been new or something. She was barely there for us except to rush us. There was a waiter serving a table near us that was very helpful but not ours.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great service and foodDP314Dined on 8/15/2014Amazing food and service if you don't mind spending some money.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beautiful restaurant to dine in.ConabbaDined on 7/31/2014Absolutely beautiful ambience accompanied with great food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Repurposed Rooms Don't WorkOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/26/2014The reservation says that this is supposed to be "business casual", as this is a repurposed breakfast/lunch venue, it turned out to be island wear. That's all well and good if that is what the restaurant allows. And yet, when we went to Orchids during this trip it seemed as though the same dress code was actually observed. The food was too complicated, much like Chef Mavro. We ultimately had champagne and appetizers and dessert. The staff, and I want to make this very clear, was wonderful. When we return, however, we won't be coming back for dinner.
- Jim65Dined on 7/26/2014Outstanding menu selections, especially the number and variety of fresh fish. Excellent wine choices. Can not be beat ocean side location on Waikiki Beach. Gracious and attentive service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellence in dining!WilkongkDined on 7/22/2014Excellent food, service and dining experience overall. I would highly recommend Azure especially for a fine dining experience for a birthday or anniversary.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- HappyHappyCustomerDined on 7/19/2014Great, awesome service and nice wine selection. Seafood risotto dish was great, "Black Magic" prepared opah was overcooked. Side foie gras and lobster tail were the saviors. Desert selection was not extensive, but finished the evening nicely. The birthday surprise was a really nice touch, too. Thank you! I'm sure we'll be back for more.Special Features:
- AwesomeAPriceDined on 7/18/2014We had the tasting menu and everything was excellent. The wine pairing was amazing. The scenery from the cabana table was beautiful. It doesn't get any better than this place!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unhappy with TableWillDined on 7/17/2014More effort should have been made by hostess to better accommodate table request. Although reservations were made far in advance, we were given a table near the entrance dealing with plenty of foot traffic. Request for particular seating not honored. Very disappointing. Everything else was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Couldn't have been bettertraveler1tVIPDined on 7/15/2014I stay at the Royal Hawaiian on business trips to Honolulu. While I often eat breakfast at Azure, I haven't had dinner there in a long time. I took my son and daughter in law there recently and we had a wonderful time. The ambiance couldn't be better--right on the beach with a view of Diamond Head. The service was fantastic, as was the food. We couldn't have asked for a better evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved it!luvfoodDined on 7/14/2014Loved the tasting menu. Just the right amount of food and it was great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DeliciousTastebudsDined on 7/11/2014We had just checked into the Royal Hawaiian and were so relieved to have a relaxing dinner with delicious food and gracious service! Our reservations were at 8:30 and we loved the sound of the waves and seeing the waves crash on the beach.Special Features:
- Excellent Food and ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/8/2014Very unique menu of fresh seafood and other fusion dishes. The waiter was extremely knowledgeable about the menu, the preparation and even the origin of the ingredients v impressive. Food was a ten. I was surprised that the portions were larger than you would anticipate at a fine dining restaurant so it is possible to even split certain dishes. Which makes this a great value since it is superior to most places that I have been in Hawaii. The only negative is that there was a very loud private party that night outside the restaurant and it kind of spoiled the ambiance. The hostess did do her best to locate us where it was minimized. But I would do there when in Hawaii over almost any other restaurant.Special Features:
- Delicious food & beautiful settingSupergirlDined on 7/7/2014Dining at Azure was a highlight of our recent stay in Waikiki. We were seated outside and it was absolutely beautiful. We all had the tasting menu with matching wine (except for our son who was under 21) and the food was memorable. The boys raved about the beef. I don't eat red meat and so had another delicious fish dish instead. Will definitely return if we are lucky enough to visit Waikiki againSpecial Features:
- too much trafficmushihnlDined on 7/1/2014annoying people walking by in all manner of dress. dining area should be blocked off so people from the bar, beach or just hotel guests aren't walking by constantly, very annoying ...................Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food and serviceDanaNVIPDined on 6/29/2014Fresh fish in Hawaii is a must...especially at Azure! They are many varieties of the fresh caught fish of the day, in which could be prepared in many ways...island way is the best! The entire menu is full of many delicious treats! The service was outstanding and the staff was very knowledgable, professional and extremely courteous! Everything was spectacular!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pink Palace and Great FoodakohamickDined on 6/29/2014Beautiful views, great service, and excellent food. The fish choices are plentiful and tasty. There are only two things that prevent it from an excellent rating and they are: the doors remain open, so on a humid day or night, it can be uncomfortable and the wine list doesn't have enough single glass choices of wines, in addition the wine prices are a little over-priced, even for this quality and style of restaurant. A great choice for those who like fine dining.Special Features:
- The following 519 reviews are from the Azure - The Royal Hawaiian reviews archive.
- JennheinDined on 6/24/2014We had the degustation menu in a cabana, which was sooooo fantastic. Seriously, the best meal I've ever had. The lobster tail and the tenderloin were a tie for most delicious, but everything was great. The wine pairings were a fun addition. It was a once and a lifetime splurge for our 20th anniversary, that I would highly recommend to anyone. And our waiter, Jan, was wonderful. He took excellent care of us. :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Beautiful Night OutGoCatsDined on 6/17/2014We had a wonderful dinner at Azure under the guidance of Scott, our waiter, who knew his menu. We had the fillet steak starter which was outstanding, then we had the local fish. Both enjoyed our choices. Desserts were a generous size and delicious. I had the pineapple and lime key pie with pavlova, mm, loved it. Scott suggested a cocktail, with lemon and lime(forget the name) and it was so good, I had another! It was a lovely evening and we enjoyed watching all of the beach action from our table. A must when visiting Honolulu. Thanks Scott for your wonderful service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful experienceWinegalDined on 6/12/2014The service and food was fantastic. The fresh fish was done to perfection, we had Ahi and Moonfish. The view from the outdoor terrace was wonderful!Special Features:
- LizaDined on 6/7/2014Fabulous food, fabulous service and incredible view!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect Dining ExperienceAzureBirthdayDined on 6/3/2014Was very accomodating for my special occasion. Perfect evening. Lamb Chops and Okapaku were fantastic. The staff, food and drinks were OUTSTANDING. Can't give enough praise. The price is what you would spend on a special evening and for what we received we were more than happy with what we received for our money.Special Features:
- My new favorite Waikiki dining spotAmOrDined on 6/2/2014I picked the place when I learned that they get their fish from Pier 38. My bf, who happens to be the birthday boy that day, doesn't eat sashimi but he promised to try. I wanted him to have the best 'first time' experience so I had to get him to a place that uses only quality fish. The seared ahi did not disappoint. The ribeye was excellent and portions are huge! We had to bring back leftovers to our hotel. Moreover. David. our server was so great all around! He also indulged us by becoming our 'professional photographer' for the evening. He was so keen on getting the perfect shot. He made it a point to capture the celebratory mood and the great scenery in every frame. :) We had great pictures! As my friends say, postcard-perfect photos.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing!NavywifeDined on 5/30/2014Amazing as always. When family or friends come to visit THIS is the place we take them. 5 star service and incredible food, beautiful views. We always, always feel special when we dine at Azure. Thank you Richard for continuing to impress our dinner guests.Special Features: