Azuma on the Lake
15830 Southwest Freeway #100
Sugar Land, TX 77479Neighborhood:
Sugar Land / Missouri City
SushiPrice: $30 and under
Azuma on the Lake
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.azumarestaurant.com/
- Phone: 2813130518
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:am - 4:00pm, Saturday - Sunday, 12:00pm -4:00pm Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 4:00pm - 11:00pm *Special Prix Fixe Tasting Menu Available for Valentine's Day Starting Friday, February 11 - February 14th*
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Sushi, Japanese
- Executive Chef: Mike Salazar
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, View, Wine
- Catering: Catering is available to all restaurants in The Azuma Group. Please contact Director of Special Events, email@example.com for more information.
- Private Party Facilities: Private Chef"s Table
- Private Party Contact: Kevin Lee 2813130518
- Special Events: Azuma on the Lake is delighted to accommodate all of your private dining and special event needs. Please contact our Director of Special Events Quinn Hoang @firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
A word from Azuma on the Lake
The newest addition to The Azuma Group, Azuma on the Lake is proud to offer delicious traditional and contemporary Japanese cuisine in one of Sugar Land’s most picturesque settings. The views from the 2nd floor dining area and patio overlooking the lake provide a Zen-like backdrop and help establish Azuma on the Lake as the perfect destination for those seeking the finest sushi experience locally in Sugar Land, Texas. Azuma on the Lake has an ample private dining area, a special chefs table, a 2nd floor private bar and lounge area as well as a very large patio to accommodate private and group functions.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Azuma on the Lake reviews from OpenTable diners
- Not only sushiLizJVIPDined on 3/1/2014There were four of us in a group and we got seated in the back with a view. It was definitely more quiet so we can actually carry on a conversation. Our waiter was so attentive and gave us recommendations. The beef capriccio was delicious that we ordered it twice. Having both traditional and unique dishes added interest to our dining.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I ate at the bar alone, causeOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 2/24/2014I ate at the bar alone, cause I was out of town. Bartender was unfriendly and really paid no mind to me. Happy hour menu is pretty big.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love at First DinnerBdaymomDined on 2/22/2014This was our first time at Azuma. We are very impressed with the food , service and ambience of the restaurant. I am a vegetarian and I had the best ever cucumber roll and vegetarian sushi. My husband had the salmon with kale chips and the dish was fantastic. We will be back for sure. The food is fresh and very tasty and the restaurant is very cozy and a great place to have a relaxing meal. Our server was very attentive and informed and we had an overall great first experience. We will bring our friends the next time and are happy to have found Azuma on the Lake here in Sugarland. Thanks guys for a great job.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our New Favorite Dinner Spot!TiffanyBDined on 2/15/2014We came here with a party of 5 for a special birthday dinner. None of us had ever eaten here before. We made reservations through OpenTable and were seated right away. The attention paid to us by our server, other servers and even the manager made us feel like we were VIPs or the only table in the restaurant! We were very impressed! The restaurant was packed - not an open table available during our reservation time of 7:00pm on a Saturday night. The food is eclectic, fun and fresh! Love the Japanese/Fusion experience and this place excels in this department! We started off with several appetizers: Pork Gyoza dumplings, lobster mac n cheese, shrimp skewers. Dinner was Orange Ginger Chicken, Azuma Iron Konro, and Specialty Sushi Rolls. LOVE!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- agedashi tofu and tempuraronnieDined on 2/15/2014agedashi tofu and tempura shrimp are either overfried or were fried in an old oil. they are not supposed to look so dark.Special Features:
- Not What I Was Hoping ForDisappointedDined on 2/14/2014Was there for Valentines Day dinner. Food was good but noise level was too high; and music was unidentifiable.Special Features:
- Corporate LunchArmadillo1982Dined on 2/11/2014Great lunch selection of varied sushi and rolls available to choose. Food was well-presented, tasty and the portions were adequate. Very good option to hold our meeting in Azuma.Special Features:
- "In the Weeds" she saidPlinsterDined on 1/25/2014We went for dinner on a Saturday night. The food was good but the service wasn't. We ordered cocktails as soon as we arrived, but our bar tender was "in the weeds" (our server's words) and they didn't arrive until LONG after our food. We would have ordered another round, because the drinks were good -- but we didn't want to be there all night! On the flip side, the food came out too quickly -- we barely had time to stop and talk between courses. We felt like we were being rushed, even though plenty of other tables were available. Also, our seaweed salads were gummy and served with really unappealing imitation crab. At the end of the day, the service and ambience at Soma is nicer, and the food and prices are the same.Special Features:
- Are you smarter than a 5th grader?GlassesGirlDined on 1/25/2014It took 20 minutes for someone to get our drink order and an hour for someone to take our food order. When the drinks came, mine was wrong so I sent it back.When I passed the bar I over heard the waiter and the bartender being ugly about the exchange. When the bill came there was an automatic 20% tip calculated on the subtotal and tax.When we brought the issue to the waiter he said "it couldn't be wrong a computer did it." He was serving a table of six math teachers and I assured him this was calculated including tax.He just stood there. I paid in cash and he brought back no receipt or change. Did he think he was deserving of more than 20%? Get your self together Azuma. I guess you can be an idiot when your tip is automatic and wrong.
- Sushi in sugarlandOpenTable Diner Since 2013VIPDined on 1/18/2014Quiet dining. Martini's followed with Miso and Wild Mushroom soup. Then sirlion skewer, scallop sushi, and ell/crab sushi. We picked from selection of glasses of wine. Finished with hot green tea. We have never sat on the porch overlooking the lake. Nice view, but not right for a January night. We might try sometime at lunch.Special Features:
- bdayohmehbbyDined on 1/12/2014I recently went here for my 20th birthday dinner with my friends and it was awesome. Service, food, location everything was perfect and I definitely can't wait to go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service excellentdanvDined on 1/11/2014Excellent service from staffs -including the Manager. Sushi and sashimi are superb. Keep up the good work. Thank you!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Brr it's cold insidekjshawDined on 12/31/2013The sushi was very fresh. I was disappointed when I ordered a specialty roll and was told some of the ingredients were not available. The waitress recommended a different roll and it was quite good. I also ordered a draft beer and was told it was not available either. It was New Year's Eve so it was a little strange that they weren't stocked well for the holiday. The restaurant was freezing cold and somewhat uncomfortable. We ate with our coats on. My date did not enjoy his Chilean sea bass, stating that portions were undercooked. It was too cold to eat outside but the patio looked very inviting for warmer weather. The portions were adequate in size.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Little PlaceJRSLDined on 12/31/2013This was a great little place with a nice menu. Service was outstanding. Only complaint was the table next to us of 4-6 adults and 1-2 kids. Couldn't really keep track as they kept getting up and shifting around. Not totally the restaurants fault but better table placement might have helped.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 40th Bday PartyNOLAgurlDined on 12/28/2013It was my 40th Bday and my gurls and I had an AMAZING time! Would absolutely recommend!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful EveningOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 12/13/2013We visited Azuma for the third time last night for our anniversary. The food was wonderful and the service was great. Last night we had the vegetable tempura and then decided to have the 5 course Omakase. This was the second time we tried this chef selected tasting option. Both times the food was great. Last night part of the selection was Udon Triple Congee. It was so good with warm comforting flavors. I would go back just for that dish but alas it isn't part of the regular menu. The sushi selections were very fresh and tasty and the final dessert course was also good. We will definitely be visiting again in the near future.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fresh selectionslecotuDined on 12/12/2013They have a great sushi menu to select from and I LOVE their crab fried rice!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic!dmendez0827Dined on 11/12/2013First time there and absolutely loved the food, the service, the ambience.... bottom line, it was the perfect LUCKY DATE NIGHT. Lucky because it was 11-12-13. :) We are definitely going back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good EveningDarker1Dined on 11/9/2013Enjoyed the ambiance. We arrived too late to enjoy an evening on the patio, too dark & chilly (Thanks Daylight Saving Reversion). We decided to nosh on appetizers, which were top notch. But $20 for 3 medium sized scallops does not cut it. I can pick up a pound of scallops for $8-$10. Way overpriced for the portion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fresh tasty seafoodEdwardsVIPDined on 11/8/2013Wonderful sushi. Great variety of rolls. The daily specials were fun and different. They also have a great drink list. I will be backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing ServiceEricEBCDined on 11/2/2013Patient, attentive staff, even on busy nights. Very welcoming, amazing food. The upstairs is amazing for large groups, very private and serene.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very romantic yet elegantromanceDined on 10/26/2013The ambiance was wonderful, great for a romantic date. The wine was fabulous. Although the entree's were not what I had expected. The flavor was much too mellow. The only side they give you is... white rice. I believe they are mainly known for their sushi. That was the best smoked tuna roll ever.Special Features:
- DinnersthalderVIPDined on 9/21/2013Great opportunity for outdoor dining in Houston! We took advantage of it. Food was great from the sushi to the duck. Excellent martini also.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food and Great StaffDHamTXVIPDined on 9/15/2013The fish is always fresh and flavorful, staff are attentive and professional, and the atmosphere is fit for any occasion from a regular lunch, to time with friends, to a romantic date.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Food and Amazing StaffDHamTXVIPDined on 8/25/2013The food at Azuma on the Lake is always fresh and providing a great variety. Whether you want Sushi, Sashimi, Udon or other cooked foods. Sunday is all day on the Happy Hour menu, so a great time to try new rolls or food. The Hamachi Kama is OUTSTANDING!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Good and The BadOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/24/2013This was our first time at Azuma. We've had sushi in 15-20 different places in 3 metropolitan areas. The Edamame was cooked well-Taste was good. The Gyoza was gummy-the wrap appeared undercooked. The Azuma Hama Chili was my favorite item there: yellowtail sashimi with chili and a ?citrus sauce served on an ice cold plate - very flavorful! Also at our table were 5 rolls and Nigiri. Both were rather warm. The rolls were lacking in flavor. We typically do not wish for the rolls to be drowning in a sauce, but the contents needed some sort of flavor. The atmosphere was fun, though the first part of our meal sounded like a tumbling routine was being conducted upstairs. Waitress was great. Will likely go elsewhere for future sushi cravings.
- One of the best sushi in HoustonbrtxDined on 7/20/2013Great service and one of the best sushi I've eaten in Houston. The chefs selection is a must.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never Disappointsfriendlyfoodie26Dined on 7/6/2013Azuma on the Lake is fantastic! Extensive menu for cooked entrees and sushi lovers. Tried a cooked entree for the first time - the Thai Sweet Chili Duck and is was amazing! They always have Blue Fin, too! :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was good, it took a littleOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 6/23/2013Food was good, it took a little long and 2 dishes came about five minutes after the rest. Our server was friendly but slow. I not sure why because there was only 5 tables in the building.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mother's Day lunchGrizzlypapaDined on 5/12/2013We had reservations for 6, but showed up with 9 people. They asked us to wait a couple of minutes while they rearranged our seating. It was quick and we were seated in a couple of minutes. Appetizers and main courses were excellent. We have never been disappointed at Azuma.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- HIGHLY RECOMMENDED RESTAURANT!!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 5/7/2013Food and service was excellent. One of my FAVORITE sushi restaurants. I love that this location is very close to home. The server was very helpful and informative about the menu. He was very polite and attentive. HIGHLY RECOMMEND this restaurant to many others.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good selection for everyoneOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 5/6/2013Although sushi makes up a good portion of the menu, it looked to have a wide selection of other choices for those in your group not into sushi. The outdoor area was a decent size, but not huge. There wasn't too much overhead coverage, which could be a problem on a hotter night. We were there on a Monday, so the staffing was light, but it looked like everyone was trying to pitch in to ensure everyone was taken care of appropriately.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Date Night FloodOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/27/2013Our first visit occurred during heavy rain and flood conditions so the restaurant was empty. My wife enjoyed the Sushi (I'm not a fan of the "uncooked" variety) and my lamb chops were perfect - which the server rightfully suggested over the beef option. Our service was well-informed on the menu and attentive to our needs, yet respectful of our privacy on a rare date night without the children.
- We were celebrating an anniversaryOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/13/2013We were celebrating an anniversary and had a really nice time. It was very nice to be able to walk along the water after dinner. The food was wonderful. Our waitress was accessible and willing to make suggestions. The prices were reasonable.Special Features:
- nice restaurant and service, but...OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/12/2013The ambiance and service were excellent, the noise level was tolerable given our proximity to the waiter's ordering terminal (a request to be re-seated upstairs was politely declined indicating a busy upstairs restaurant floor). I believe the food was severely lacking as compared to the dining experience from its sibling restaurants. The lytchee mojito was happily replaced (since we did not like the taste), the mango version was much better, but could have used a bit less sugar/puree. We ordered 3 rolls, couple of them were a bit on the dry side; our server suggested a roll that was fried/crunchy, but was not crunchy at all. We ordered a crunch roll to make up for it, but that was a bit disappointing too. Skipped dessert for next door.Special Features:
- The food was excellent, theOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 4/12/2013The food was excellent, the service was excellent. However, one of the appetizer's that we ordered was never delivered. When we notified the server of this, he immediately apologized and removed the order from our bill. I'm sure it was minor oversight that was lost in translation, so to speak. My wife and I have dined at Azuma on many occasions and would not hesitiate to dine at, or recommend Azuma to our friends! Sincerely, Van StringerSpecial Features:
- Yakisoba was not as deliciousKiamVIPDined on 3/21/2013Yakisoba was not as delicious as it normally was in the past, not sure what was missing, just could feel it tasted a little different and not as good.Special Features:
- Great on all levels.OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/16/2013First time visitor and our experience could not have been better. Food, service and ambience were all top notch. Azuma has a great vibe with a combination of the dining room, sushi bar, decor and piped in music.
- The food was OK. I'm not aOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/15/2013The food was OK. I'm not a fan of scallions and cayenne pepper on my sushi. I also don't understand why you would bring my appetizer and meal at the same time. If ordering sushi, portions are normal, if ordering food you may want to eat prior...the portions are very small.Special Features:
- We dined at 2 pm and wereOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 3/11/2013We dined at 2 pm and were the only people in the restaurant. Service was very friendly and the food was good, however, the downtown location has more flavor.