Azuma - Downtown
909 Texas Street
Houston, TX 77002Neighborhood:
JapanesePrice: $30 and under
Azuma - Downtown
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.azumarestaurant.com/
- Phone: 7132230909
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch Daily: Monday - Friday: 11:00am - 2:30pm Dinner Daily: Monday - Thursday: 2:30pm - 10:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 2:30pm - 12:00am; Sunday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm *Special Four Course Prix Fixe Tasting Menu Available for Valentine's Day, Starting Friday, February 11 - Monday, February 14th*
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Sushi, Japanese
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Catering is available for all restaurants in The Azuma Group. Email our Director of Special Events Quinn Hoang @ firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
- Private Party Facilities: Private party options available.
- Special Events: Azuma Downtown would be happy to accommodate your private dining or special event requests. Email Director of Special Events at email@example.com for more information.
A word from Azuma - Downtown
A multi-faceted Asian seafood bistro and sushi lounge, Azuma Downtown serves bustling corporate lunch-goers and the city’s cultured theatre, ballet and nightlife patrons with a refined approach to dining. By offering fresh, creative sushi options and a sophisticated selection of haute kitchen entrées, the team at Azuma Downtown cultivates a steady-following of loyal fans. Executive Chef Harold Wong is very proud of his outstanding sushi bar and is happy to create unique specials and tastings for his many eager guests. The kitchen, in turn, produces outstanding Japanese fusion dishes led by Chef De Cuizine Jacob Nelson. Azuma Downtown also boasts a large private dining area to hold your special events, lunch-and-learns, group functions and private parties.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Azuma - Downtown reviews from OpenTable diners
- Not the best, but okTimmDined on 2/26/2014Has the feel of a chain restaurant. They were out of many types of fish. Probably won't go back
- We were seated near and attendedMattDined on 2/15/2014We were seated near and attended by the bar waitress. I'm not sure if she was overworked or just not on top of her game the night we went, but service was sub-par. I think it was specially this instance and not the entire restaurant experiencing this, but it did detract from the experience a bit.
- Great Downtown FindMustEatFood615Dined on 1/17/2014We were in town for a confernece and wanted something light and not too expensive- Azuma was both. Great ambiance, fun assortment of sake and rolls (eel roll and roll combo the best way to go). It was a bit too cold to eat on the patio but it looked awesome.Special Features:
- Not badHtownDined on 12/31/2013Not bad. Very hot spicy tuna roll. Almost too hot. Good calamari. All about location.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The wait staff was quite helpfulOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/16/2013The wait staff was quite helpful and attentive. Ambiance and feel was spot on. I had been here once prior and was still blown away by how delightful the food is. This sushi is outstanding!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Back/side room tables unappealingAJTBAMVIPDined on 11/14/2013We were seated for lunch (with a reservation) in the room off the righthand side - it was very cold, dark, and kind of depressing back in that room. I'll try to request a room up front next time for sure.
- Fresh & Tastsy LunchDinerHLMVIPDined on 11/11/2013We went in for a nice lunch, and we were definitely impressed! The Hawaiin Poke and Smoked Duck Rolls were amazingly awesome starters to share!! Then we split the Green Shadow roll and St. Charles roll. Both were excellent quality and taste, but my favorite was the Green Shadow. The Lobster roll caught our eye, but we were told it was a really big roll. So, we passed and asked for a modified Red Devil that used lobster instead of shrimp. It was ok. Our service was excellent and knowlegable at first, but then we got a different much younger and less expereinced server. All in all, I would definately try it again.Special Features:
- Good, Not GreatBFBenDined on 10/24/2013Leon does a great job behind the bar. The sushi's good, but not the best in town. We went with a large group for lunch (eight people); they had no problems accommodating us; and no one from our group complained.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not just sushiRockjoDined on 10/19/2013Azuma downtown is a dependable option for pre-symphony dining. The sushi is great, but if you are not into sushi, their Chilean Sea Bass, Chicken and beef options are also excellent. The staff is always friendly and attentive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Azuma DowntownShariGVIPDined on 10/4/2013It is a good restaruant within walking distance to Jones Hall and other theatre venues. The last time we went the food was really good. This time is was ok -- the lobster and shrimp had a really fishy taste. I would try it again to see if that was a one time problem. Do NOT have the apple pastry dessert -- it was terrible!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very nice EveningdarrickDined on 10/2/2013Wife and I had a terrific time. Arrived early and sat at bar for a drink. Enjoyed the intimacy of the small bar. Moved to dining room and service was excellent. David (ask for him) was our waiter. He was very knowledgible about menu. Food was excellent. The presentation was very good. Timeliness of kitchen was also very good. I have nothing bad to say about experience. We dined on a Thursday @ 6:30. When we left about 8 room was filing up.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I had planned to meet a friendKathyDined on 9/13/2013I had planned to meet a friend for lunch, but our lunch for 2 turned into lunch for 8 when our co-workers found out we were going to Azuma. The staff was very accommodating and was able to change our reservation. The sushi was great, and we were glad to have a quiet table so we could hear each other talk. It was a very enjoyable lunch -- thanks!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awefull ServiceLuv2eatVIPDined on 8/28/2013Fair warning; this was forth and final visit to this place. Visited twice at lunch and twice at dinner. This visit was a midweek luncheon for three people. We arrived at 11:20 and were immediately seated. We were the ONLY table in the restaurant . We waited over 10 minutes for water service and another five before the waiter greeted us. There were 11 restaurant workers present. Plenty of staff, just not interested in providing table service. Once the waiter appeared at the table, we placed our order for two appetizers and three lunch specials. With any decent restrurant, appetizers would be delivered first, followed by soup then the entree. Not here; everything was delivered at once. The food is fine, even good. Service aweful.
- Great before a showThomasDined on 8/10/2013My wife and I ate here before watching Wicked on a Saturday night. It wasn't too crowded, server was excellent, food was great. The only thing I would change would have been to inform the server that we were going to the show so that service would have been a little faster, but he gave us above average service regardless. I highly recommend Azuma.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Japanese restaurantRobertVIPDined on 6/15/2013We have dined at Azuma many times, usually on Friday or Saturday evenings before a show, and it very consistently serves appetizing Japanese fare from a large menu. Service is good - efficient but not annoyingly attentive nor leaving you in the land of the forgotten. Pricing is also moderate. This past Saturday night the restaurant was nearly full at abut 6:30, so reservations are a good idea if you are dining pre-theatre.I would recommend this to a friend.
- David, waiter, sometimes managerClassyVIPDined on 3/1/2013David, waiter, sometimes manager is the consummate people person. He is always gracious and considerate to his guests. I commend him whether he is serving the table or working as a manager.Special Features:
- Good sushi, but lunch servicesushisnobDined on 2/7/2013Good sushi, but lunch service is a hit and a miss. Our waiter was in attentive- barely chk'd on us, did not pay attention to detail, and took way too long to deliver food, drinks and the check. Not too many of us have the luxury of a 2 hr lunch.
- Second visit not as magicalLuv2eatVIPDined on 11/30/2012Second visit not as magical as first. Returned to Azuma since our last experience was great. However, this time the food was just 'ok' and the service was poor. The (new) waiter knew little about the sushi, and almost nothing about the robust wine list. My guess is the management team does a very poor job of new employee orientation. The king crab roll (specialty) was made with some type of crab paste (think tuna salad) and tasted awful and poorly conceived. Doubt that we'll return anytime soon.
- Surprisingly Good SashimiOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/19/2012While I love maki and other Americanized Japanese fare, I usually judge a sushi place on its sashimi, and the salmon sashimi at Azuma Downtown was absolutely perfect. I would definitely go back to try more. The other rolls we tried were also good.Special Features:
- Ate here prior to a show atLuv2eatVIPDined on 10/12/2012Ate here prior to a show at Jones Hall. Food was prepared well, service was timely, atmosphere was comfortable and relaxing; perfect for winding down the week and kicking off the weekend. Will definatly eat here again before a downtown show.Special Features:
- Second time here. Both times,Travelgirl55Dined on 10/6/2012Second time here. Both times, service was poor, but first time the food made up for it. Not so lucky second time. Mediocre food and service.
- We thought the sushi hereOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/29/2012We thought the sushi here was great. We had the crazy Irishman roll, spider roll, lobster roll, and bananas tempura with plum wine ice cream. My husband was disappointed that they weren't serving duck. It's on their menu online, but not in the restaurant.
- Great experience. FantasticOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/14/2012Great experience. Fantastic food and service. Would recommend it.
- I can't say enough good thingsOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/11/2012I can't say enough good things about this visit. My boyfriend and I have always enjoyed dining here, but this dinner was the best. Due to traffic, we arrived late, and now we were going to be rushed to dine before our play started. The hostess was kind enough to seat us promptly near the door, and our waiter David made suggestions to help us pick a quick meal. David also got drinks and the bill to us quickly to help expedite the process. He was wonderful about making sure we had a great time at dinner, but still left us time to walk to the Alley. I look forward to returning soon, but this time for a more relaxed dining experience. Thanks for saving the evening!Special Features:
- Don't allow reservations withOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/11/2012Don't allow reservations with Open Table and then tell me you only have seats at the bar. Pretty simple, really.
- the service was not to greatOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 6/20/2012the service was not to great one waiter dropped my shrimp on the table, our head waiter never came around to check on us
- We made a reservation forOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 5/31/2012We made a reservation for six but our group grew to 10. They were very accommodating and added seating to our table. The food was very good with a lot of diversity of style. Our servers however were not very attentive. The 1st 30 minutes we had good attention but once our food was served we had to ask for everything. We wanted some wine it took two tries to get it ordered, we were not checked on, had to ask for more water and desert menus, our plates were not cleared. They told us that they could divide the check 4 ways yet we ended just handling ourselves because we had hard time getting any help.Special Features:
- Always wonderful food. UsuallyDawnDawnVIPDined on 3/31/2012Always wonderful food. Usually have sushi but this time I tried the Hot Rock Beef and it was a great suprise. Wait support staff was great. Waiter seemed to be at a loss.Special Features:
- Wonderful service and fastOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/20/2012Wonderful service and fast too! Food was outstanding!Special Features:
- Seating two middle-aged ladiestxkgladyDined on 3/2/2012Seating two middle-aged ladies at a corner 2-top in the back with a view of the kitchen service entrance is not a happy way to start a meal. We were a 6:30 seating on a Friday night that was surprisingly not busy. A hostess took our drink order after a few minutes as the server was unavailable. The $8 glass of champagne was not available so we were offered a $45 split: not acceptable! A young man appeared at our table; I had to ask if he was our server. The pork dumpling appetizer was absolutely delicious, my companion's sea bass was fine, my Azuma beef was acceptable. We had to hunt down our check and dash to our 8:00 event. This wasn't a particularly bad experience but nothing there makes me want to return.
- Good starters and a solidOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/14/2012Good starters and a solid selection of rolls. Waitstaff was pretty attentive. Overall this was a good place to get some sushi.
- The food was great. The friedOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 2/14/2012The food was great. The fried mushroom appetizer with shrimp and clam was amazing. The nigiri was nice size, and really good. The rolls were also extremly good. The service left a lot to be desired - it was extremley slow. Additionally, they charged a higher price for the mackerel because they did not have the cheaper version available but did not tell us that until the bill came. With that said, they did comp the mackerel which was an extremly nice gesture. We've dined at Azuma before in the village and would not discourage people from going just because of this one negative service experience.
- Awesome food. Awesome service.OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 2/9/2012Awesome food. Awesome service. Not a thing I would change.Special Features:
- Some of the best sushi ever!KAL90Dined on 1/25/2012Some of the best sushi I've ever had. Delicious lechee martini and appetizers. Great selection of uniques rolls. Liked it so much that I recommended it to many others at our convention, who went and loved it as well. Would certainly go back on a return trip to Houston.Special Features:
- I really liked this place.OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 1/17/2012I really liked this place. Quiet and cozy for the most part.Special Features:
- Perfect execution on food,OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 1/17/2012Perfect execution on food, as always. Friendly service accommodated all of our needs.Special Features:
- Good Food, Moderate ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 12/31/2011Had a nice experience at Azuma. We ordered sushi and hot items both were very good. The wait staff was ok, not very respondant and did not have much knowledge of the menu. (he might have been new). Overall it was a good meal and I would recommend others to try this spot.Special Features:
- We had an excellent time onOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 12/31/2011We had an excellent time on New Years Eve. Our waiter was attentive and friendly. We had a really good experience. The fact that it was packed did not negatively affect the service we received. :)Special Features:
- Close to Jones Hall so weLesleyDined on 12/10/2011Close to Jones Hall so we could eat before a performance there. Quick service, delicious food.
- Great sushi atmosphereOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 12/2/2011Overall, sushi and rolls we're good. We were a bit dissapointed in the drink selection, large saki list but no middle ground on pricing. We had a nice dinner and the Tropical roll was awesome, sushi was fresh, so not a whole lot more you can ask for.Special Features: