Azucar Latin Bistro
71 E. San Fernando Street
San Jose, CA 95113Neighborhood:
MexicanPrice: $30 and under
Azucar Latin Bistro
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.azucarsj.com/
- Phone: 4082938482
- Hours of Operation:
Monday- Friday 11am-3pm Lunch
Monday- Saturday 3pm-11pm Dinner
Live Music Fridays & Saturdays
SALSA lessons on Mondays, Karaoke Weds, DJ Thurs
Happy Hour, After Hours or Any Hour!
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Mexican / Southwestern, Mexican, Tapas / Small Plates
- Executive Chef: Chef Telez
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Dancing, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: GROUPS require a credit card to secure reservation/ subject to a NO SHOW FEE. Call 408.293.8482 today!
BIRTHDAYS bring six (6) paying guest with you & receive a free drink or desert.
- Private Party Facilities: It all begins with your phone call. Reserve a Birthday Party, Group or any special event, we take care of the rest. Our staff takes pride in providing you VIP service at recession prices.
Reserve your event today!
- Private Party Contact: Yolanda Melia Belaski 8775904713
- Entertainment: Live Entertainment, Guitarist & Late night events & Dancing.
Vibrant bar scene, great after work, or after dark...girls night out, conventions & conferences. Reserve your group today! Azúcar Latin-Bistro are proud Sponsors & Supporters of San Jose Rep Theatre, Cinequest, San Jose Jazz Festival, & Music in the Park. Sharks supporters, Sports parties, local hotel guest. Look for us in the Fairmont Hotel Explorer , or Discover magazine, San Jose.Com, San Jose Downtown, Yelp, Twitter, Facebook. We host several events yearly: City Councilman Ash Kalra Tools 4 Schools, local fundraisers, charities, winery events, weddings, mercedes Benz Auto Show, Ferrari, Business Mixers, Speed Dating, Bachelorette parties, Goddess parties, and more. With separate lounges, entertainment & events will not interfere with your dining experience.
- Special Events: Azúcar Latin Bistro & Mojito Bar offers live music every weekend, Valentines Day is a huge event here! Thursday through Saturday. Fun for 2 or groups of 20 in a vibrant scene after business,girls night out, conventions & conferences. Reserve your group today!
Azúcar Latin Bistro Mojito Bar & Lounge is a proud Sponsor & Supporters of San Jose Rep Theatre, Cinequest, San Jose Jazz Festival, & Music in the Park.
Sharks supporters, Sports parties, & discounts for local hotel guest. Look for us in the Fairmont Hotel Explorer Hard copy, or Discover magazine, San Jose.Com, San Jose Downtown, Yelp, Twitter, Facebook.
We host several events yearly: Tools 4 Schools, local fundraisers, charities, winery events, weddings, mercedes Benz, Auto Shows, Ferrari, Business Mixers, Speed Dating, Bachelorette parties, Goddess parties, and more.
With separate lounges, entertainment & events will not interfere with your dining experience.
- Cross Street: 2nd & 3rd Streets
- Public Transit: Lightrail within minutes, taxi from airport 5 minutes, major hotels downtown, convention center virtually walking or taxi distance to all major attractions, theatre, Hp Pavillion & more.
- Parking: Public Lot
- Parking Details: 2 Hour Validated Parking for our diners, ask your server.
Public Parking at Safeway, and Second Street garages
A word from Azucar Latin Bistro
Azucar was founded in 2006 and has made it's niche in the culinary industry.The food has always been amazing and on any given night you will find this place bustling with regulars. At the same token like any establishment we had our growing pains. Today, March 25, 2013 we launched our new menu with our new Chef Antonio! He comes with 20 years experience in California, Miami and Las Vegas and he is passionate about his craft. Everything is hand made fresh the same day, even the tortillas! Try our Carne Asada Fries, Ceviche Tostadas, Chili Relleno, Sopes, Tortas, Burritos, Fajitas, Tacos, Enchildas, Prawn Cockatails and more! If you are a return customer, you will taste the difference, if you are new, the food will speak for itself!Continued
We hope to see you soon.
We hope to see you soon.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Azucar Latin Bistro reviews from OpenTable diners
- bueller... bueller....OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/22/2013Made a reservation for 2 through Open Table (link located within the restaurant's website) for a Friday night. Walked in, saw a really sad looking floor layout with really spread out tables, but the bar looked nice. Three staff walked by and asked us if we needed a table, after sequentially telling each we had a reservation. Didn't look like it actually mattered if we did or not, since the place was dead. Finally were sat and handed menus. Five minutes go by, no server at our table. Then we see the server who sat us, but she went over to chat with the table across the (empty) room for five more minutes. She then proceeded to rush immediately past our table without so much as a glance. Needless to say we got up and left.
- Awful time. I've been hereOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 2/22/2013Awful time. I've been here once for dinner and loved it. So I decided to throw a birthday party here for a friend, and was I completely embarrassed. The food was awful, took more than an hour for our food to come out and it came out one by one. It wasnt even crowded! The food was awful, no flavors, and the rice was undercooked. The check took about 30-45 minutes to settle. AND they kept ringing us up for all the wrong things. Wont be coming back EVER.
- Valentine's DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/14/2013My husband and I went for the Valentine's Day Dinner. It was ok.. There was no AWWW factor. We probably won't go back.Special Features:
- Took my family for Valentineshenry3000Dined on 2/14/2013Took my family for Valentines din. The food was actually really good even though the portions were tiny and over priced for DTSJ. The service was awful! The manager eventually showed up and apologized and seemed sincere. Every other table around me was just as miserable.
- We went there to enjoy mexicanOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/20/2012We went there to enjoy mexican food and live latin music, as advertised in their web site. Wine list - only one (!) wine available out of the whole wine list. The food and mojitos were OK but very basic, definitely not worth of $140 we left there for 3 diners. The live music was supposed to start at 9:30 pm, the band started to play around 10:30 pm. After 10 minutes or so of semi-live and very loud performance, a security guy approached us and asked to either order drinks or to leave - "because we are taking seats of people who came here to drink and dance". Goes without saying, we have no attention to visit this place ever again.
- Such a shameOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 10/8/2012It was a disappointing experience - We waited 20 minutes before someone even came to our table & there was only one other small group in the restaurant. Eventually a waitress came out & provided chips & salsa to a table that appeared to be friends & just walked in. I had to flag the waitress down to get attention & she actually acted annoyed that I was asking for anything. We eventually walked up to the bar to place our order & it took over an hour to come out. We also ordered mojitos which were fantastic but again had to walk up to the bar to get our 1st and 2nd drink. The APPETIZERS were absolutely awesome but we decided to leave and not even order dinner since it took so long to be served. NO WINE selection?
- Food is WAY overpriced forOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/21/2012Food is WAY overpriced for the size and quality of the meals. It also didnt help that one of our dinner guests found a human nail in the sauce. Yes, the dish was free and we got drink coupons but still it was a bad experience. Service is not good. If it wasn't for the live entertainment and great dancing atmosphere this would gave got a worse review. This is definitely the place to go for salsa dancing after you eat dinner elsewhere.Special Features:
- Good but not a stand outInfrabillVIPDined on 9/2/2012I was disappointed except that the chimichurri sauce was good and the salsa was good. The caesar salad and drinks lacked umph. The restaraunt was good but nothing real special. Maybe if there was music on the night we were there, it may have been better.
- Pretty good food, service is SLOWSofiaDined on 7/21/2012Food was VERY good. I had the ceviche (which was excellent) as an appetizer and chicken con pollo which was good as well. Service is poor: VERY slow (we waited a good 30 minutes to order our food). The servers seemed scattered and disorganized. Probably wouldn't go there again.Special Features:
- Our Mahalo dinner at Azucar!!GC808VIPDined on 7/8/2012Although their menu was limited, the food was FANTASTIC!! KATIE took great care of us. She had to work extra hard, since they were short-handed. We'll be back again SOON!Special Features:
- quiet for dinner if earlyOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/2/2012We four dined early (6:00-7:30pm), before a SJ Rep show, so it was quiet, not what I expect is their usual lively and loud bar, music and dance scene.
- The service was slow. TheyOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 5/22/2012The service was slow. They did not have a few things listed on the menu. It felt more like a dance hall instead of a restaurant.Special Features:
- The restaurant was reallyOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/9/2012The restaurant was really deserted when we got there at 7:30 pm, but that wasn't a problem. What bothered me was that the actual menu was much smaller than the one they posted online. However, the food was very good.
- I felt that the portions wereBabsSJVIPDined on 5/4/2012I felt that the portions were extremely small and too spicy for my taste. The rice was also hard. I will not go there again.
- The menu is limited but thedavidwcDined on 5/4/2012The menu is limited but the Food was well seasoned and good. The prawns my wife had were cooked perfectly which is rare in most restaurants. I got the impression that the primary attraction here is the music and dancing which takes place later in the evening. Still the service was attentive. The Mojitos and Margaritas are good.Special Features:
- Mojitos GaloreERemyDined on 5/2/2012We attended this restaurant with friends for the first time on a Wednesday night around 7:30pm. It is small with few tables. Main feature is the bar. They could probably squeeze in a few more tables, but I think it's like this for dancing and Karaoke later in the night which is what occurred around 9pm. They have a long list of flavored mojitos which are good but light on the booze. Food is good though almost everything comes with rice and beans (didn't think this place was Mexican!) I'm in no rush to return. If I ever did, go early and make reservations like we did.
- Cerviche was good but hadOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 4/27/2012Cerviche was good but had to wait 30 minutes for it to be made. Most places I've ever been already have cerviche ready to serve. The cilantro rice accompanying one entree was cold and the black beans were way too salty. The caribbean steak was very tough.
- Not worth itBlackburnVIPDined on 4/25/2012We went here for dinner and we were very disappointed. When we walked in, there was no hostess stand: not the best first impression. The interior didn't feel like a welcoming place that your would want eat in and we felt uncomfortable the whole time we were there. The bartender was great and she was very helpful, but the servers were not on their game. They would often not come back for extended periods, leave empty dishes and glasses on our table. I was surprised because we were in the mood to eat and drink a lot but we couldn't get service so we ended up ordering less. The food was less than spectacular and were disappointed in its quality. The watermelon mojito was great, but he blood orange mojito was not. We won't be going back.
- This could be good if theirOpenTable Diner Since 2002Dined on 4/20/2012This could be good if their staff was professional and the kitchen had the correct items prepared. My dish was missing the correct rice and my wife had to ask for part of her food. Also not a good as a bar as well thier mojitos where tasteless at best. Great concept poor execution.
- More bar than restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/17/2012The dining experience is of eating in a reggaton bar rather than eating in a restaurant that also has bar/Latin music. In other words it makes a better bar than restaurant. The server was young and inexperienced and spent more time talking to friends at the bar than serving tables on the restaurant side. The food was very average. My salmon was literally floating in butter. Music was loud for a restaurant, especially for an early Tuesday evening. Patrons were standing around drinking beer reminiscent of my past college days. Price (20ish dollar entrees) was too high given all of this. A reasonable place to consider if looking for young, urban Latin music bar. But, I'd go elsewhere for Latin dining experience.
- No one at the door to greetOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/22/2012No one at the door to greet people. Noisy - there was an event going on but no signs that other reservations were being taken. Not clear where the entrance was. We had to stand outside and call the restaurant to figure out if they were open. But once we were seated, our drinks and meal arrived quickly and was extremely tasty. I would go back there for the food, which is v. different and extremely good. Mojitos were tasty too. I was disappointed that there didn't serve the other Latin American foods that I had previously seen on their website. Nonetheless, what we had turned out great.Special Features:
- Overall we had a blast. TheOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 2/14/2012Overall we had a blast. The food was delicious! Management was very accommodating and gave us extra champagne to make up for out ditzy waitress who was slow with getting our food order in and it took over a half hour to get us our water! But management did acknowledge this and so everything was cool.Special Features:
- Is this a restaurant or aCheckOutUnionStreetDined on 2/14/2012Is this a restaurant or a bar? Seemed like a bar but even the drinks took forever! Luckily I had some great conversation with my girl! Too many issues to list out here but I will not go back for food and bring a jacket they didn't pay the heating bill.
- Went to this place to tryOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 2/14/2012Went to this place to try their incredible Mojitos, and discovered the awesome food and service. Also went here for Valentines Day and had a very romantic and wonderful experience.
- Good but not great-menu has changedEliotVIPDined on 2/11/2012Staff was friendly and attentive. Food was good, but not great, and reasonably priced ($100 for dinner for 4). Two disappointments. First, it was much more of a bar than a restaurant, so it was noisy, with loud music, so not conducive to conversation. Second, they changed their menu, and it was much more limited than what was on their website. The website had a much wider range of Spanish foods from a wider variety of sources (Cuban, Peruvian, etc.). One person in our party doesn't eat beef and can't eat spicy food, and had a hard time finding something on the current menu. Overall, we won't go out of our way to go back, but we wouldn't avoid this place either.
- Terrible service and the restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/10/2012Terrible service and the restaurant smelled like fermented alcohol. salsa dancing may be the draw but the service was poor.Special Features:
- Worst Restaurant ever. TheyOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/4/2012Worst Restaurant ever. They charged me twice as much than what the bill said. When you get the receipt it says one thing but 4 days later on your Bank or Credit Card statement is double than what you actually paid.
- We walked in and there wereOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 1/31/2012We walked in and there were a few customers in the restaurant but no workers. We saw no bartender, no hostess, no waitress. We waited for a while and could see some activity in the kitchen, but no one came out to seat us or anything. When we finally decided to leave, someone came out and casually said "sorry". I won't try it again.
- The head server was very professionOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 1/28/2012The head server was very professional, attentive and helpful. The time was wonderful and we would use this for another special occasion.Special Features:
- We had a great company dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 1/24/2012We had a great company dinner on a Tuesday night. Thanks to the entire staff.Special Features:
- Didn't live up to my expectations.OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 1/21/2012Didn't live up to my expectations I had. Out of 2 appetizers 1 wasn't available. Out of the dinner plated we requested 1 wasn't available. Our reservation was at 8pm our food took a VERY long time to arrive. I had to get up several times & ask my server for waters since that wasn't even provided.Special Features:
- this was my first visit toOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 1/21/2012this was my first visit to the restaurant, and I beleive that the emphasis for this establishment is the "night club" portion of this place. The food was good, but it took a very long time to receive it and they ran out of eveything. They did not have plantains, they ran out of chips, and they did not have dessert. I don't undertstand how a restaurant that specializes in different latin cuisine could run out of these major things. Once we finished eating, they wanted us to vacate because they needed the space for dancing. The live band was suppose to perform at 9:30 but they did not start until about 10:30...although they band was really good. I would come back again for the salsa dancing, but would rather go somewhere else for the food
- Loved it. I wish I knew whoOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 1/7/2012Loved it. I wish I knew who the Puerto Rican band's name was. I loved the service. The waitress was sooo sweet and very professional. I would most definitely come back. Shouts to all my Puerto ricans.Special Features:
- This is one of the worst diningOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 12/17/2011This is one of the worst dining experiences I have had in several years. We were seated and then left unattended for 20 minutes while others who arrived later received service. I ordered a double Mojito and my wife a single, but they brought her a double too, as we discovered when paying the bill. A table of 8 next to us received 7 meals together, but the 8th came ~20 minutes later. I ordered a house salad whose description included tomato and avocado, but I received lettuce and carrot slivers that looked suspiciously like Safeway bag salad. The waitress got the salad orders wrong, too. The main course was edible, but the white sauce tasted and looked like the $2 jar sauce from the store. Extremely disappointing; I won't be returning.
- We arrived early before aOpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 11/26/2011We arrived early before a hockey game and virutally had the place to ourselves. I expect this place is known for the vibrant bar scene after 10:00 pm, so we were surprised at how good the food was. We like our food with some kick and the ceviche and jalapena/chimchurri sauced steaks delivered as promised. The mojitos were also outstanding as they were authentic and not the oversweetened variety you find at most bars. The only downside to the food was the lack of any authentic hispanic desserts (no flan or tres leches cake). Service was excellent and friendly; I expect if there were more patrons we still would have been treated as well. Would be interested in going back when it is a little busier to get a true feel for the place.
- Small dining area that convertsOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/30/2011Small dining area that converts to a lounge at night. Lots of noise from the bar makes conversation difficult. Half the seats are small tables with tall chairs. The food was very good but it took 20 minutes after ordering to get our coctails.Special Features:
- Fantastic Food & Drinks!! CamaroneOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/30/2011Fantastic Food & Drinks!! Camarones Jalapena, Ceviche, Tapas. Everything our group had we loved! Live music and dancing, great service, huge dance lounge next door. You get so much for your money. Thanks Azucar, we will be back!!Special Features:
- Great Music, Poor ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 9/17/2011Although the food was delicious, it was not worth the 1 HOUR WAIT!!! Some of our food was cold and other plates were missing items. The manager did come by to apologize and comped 1 round of drinks; however, I don't think that was enough. The music and dancing was great, but I would not go back to eat there.
- Too badOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/9/2011Drinks were excellent. Fantastic list of unique mojitos. The food menu was excellent. Good eclectic mix of Mexican and Cuban cuisine. Now the bad. Our waitress was young. Barely paid attention to us. Out of the four of us only my wifes meal wasn't up to par. Her steak was tough. She left the whole thing untouched. We told both waitresses and nothing was done. We spent $250 for a party of four and in the end this waitress rudely rushed us out while we still wanted to order more drinks. My opinion is that they want to be a night club more than they want to be a restaurant an it's too bad because the food is good.Special Features:
- It was my first time thereOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/27/2011It was my first time there and definitely wont be my last one. I had tons of fun, and my girlfriend and I are actually planning on going monday for some salsa lessons.Special Features: