Azucar Cuban Cuisine & Cigars
495 Washington Blvd.
Jersey City, NJ 07310Neighborhood:
CubanPrice: $31 to $50
Azucar Cuban Cuisine & Cigars
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.azucarcubancuisine.com/
- Phone: (201) 222-0090
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Tuesday - Friday: 11:30am - 3:00pm; Dinner: Sunday: 3:00pm - 10:00pm, Tuesday - Saturday: 3:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Cuban
- Executive Chef: Nicholas Vazquez
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cigar Room, Dancing, Entertainment, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Private Party Facilities: Azúcar's private dining space offers sit down dinners for up to 35 people with special prix-fixe party menus. We can also host private cocktail parties for up to 50 people with custom made menus including buffet and/or passed hors d'ouevres.
- Private Party Contact: Lauren Vazquez 2012220090
- Entertainment: The lounge at Azúcar is definitely the place to be and be seen! Offering a rotating schedule of Live Music and professional Dj's, our lounge is big enough to show off your dance moves or pick a cozy spot at the bar to sip on a delicious mojito or specialty cocktail. Happy Hour is Tuesday through Friday 4PM-8PM with daily drink specials. When the weather outside permits, the open air outdoor patio provides an extension of the indoors - outdoor speakers and all!
- Cross Street: Newport Waterfront
- Public Transit: PATH train stop is Newport
Lightrail stop is Newport/Pavonia
- Parking: Public Lot
- Parking Details: Validated parking is available in the South Garage adjacent to the restaurant. Prices are as follows: $2 for any four hours until 10PM. Times after the four hour mark are subject to posted rates. Parking after 10PM is subject to posted rates. No validation is available after 10PM.
A word from Azucar Cuban Cuisine & Cigars
In the booming Newport area of Jersey City, Azúcar offers an escape from the surrounding corporate jungle to the carefree world of 1950s Havana. Inside, robust palm trees and Cuban nostalgia set the scene for a tropical getaway. On Thurs-Sat nights, a live band or DJ in the lounge plays all varieties of Latin music and engages guests to show off their dance moves or relax while enjoying flavorful mojitos. The center of attention is the traditional Cuban cuisine, prepared expertly by Vazquez and his loyal staff. Vazquez's attention to detail and authenticity result in dishes that make his mother proud. Upstairs is the only smoking lounge in Hudson County, a cozy enclave with dark wood paneling, deep couches, a full bar and cigar humidor, and tables for dominos and chess. Also available are a VIP room and a private party space. In season, the outdoor patio offers views of nearby Manhattan. Although you can't enter Cuba legally, a trip to Azúcar certainly comes close.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Azucar Cuban Cuisine & Cigars reviews from OpenTable diners
7 reviews since July 28, 2014
- Ambiance3Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (2)late-night find (2)neighborhood gem (2)fit for foodies (2)romantic (1)hot spot (1)vibrant bar scene (1)great for lunch (1)Show More
- Cancelled on meOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/16/2014Had a 830 reservations for 8 people and we were all going by car service. Azucar called me and cancelled at 530 they said the resturant was closing early and were sorry for the inconvenience. It was a mess finding a reservation for 8 on such short notice and the car service charged additional fees for changing the plan. Will never make plans to go there again.
- Like being in MiamiBigFanofJClocalesDined on 8/9/2014We travel to Miami every year. We actually go to Coral Gables - so we will check out the sister restaurant when we are down there in February. Love the food, the atmosphere, the music. This little spot in Jersey City had it all. What a great atmosphere! And the food was outstanding. We started with my favorite ham croquetas and they did not disappoint. Then, we had Maduros a La Tentacion - plantains in bacon! WOW. All good. I went traditional with Gambas al Ajillo - the shrimps and sauce were fantastic. We also had Havana Rib-eye - marinated for 24 hours - and DELICIOUS. Truly, a great meal. We are beer drinkers so we cannot comment on the wine selection but the cigars were a nice touch.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 8/8/2014Pretty good food and authentic. Service was not the greatest. No wine list??? Would recommend for the food, don't expect much after that.Special Features:
- Great DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/7/2014Food was excellent. took a little while for server to come to table but overall pleasant experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food is consistently goodOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/1/2014Great place to dine. Food and service are consistently good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cuban without flavorChrisReppinNYCVIPDined on 7/31/2014I was so excited to try this restaurant. I ordered chicharon de pollo (suppose to be fried -breaded-chunks of chicken) when they serviced a "naked" fried whole piece of chicken I was so disappointed. It had no seasoning or taste either. Tostones are suppose to be thin and crispy, why were these HUGE and fat? no crispy whatsoever. I was expecting a cool atmosphere (decor does looks cool) but no music at all -not even background music-I would even have been ok with elevator music lol. Whats funny is that when we got our order our faces where so filled with disappointment the people sitting next to us turned and said they felt the same. Wont be going there again.
- The following 135 reviews are from the Azucar Cuban Cuisine & Cigars reviews archive.
- Good restaurantFoodfunDined on 7/18/2014Yummy food (steak dishes, rice/beans).... Plantain/guacamole appetizer was delicious- great mango mojitos-I would recommend this to a friend.
- outstandingAngelDined on 6/14/2014First time at Azucar and it was fantastic. Delicious food and the coconut flan was the best I ever had.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delish!AnnasamaDined on 5/31/2014Everything we tried was delish! From the Peach Sangria, the empanadas, the plantains wrapped in bacon to our entrees. I had the slow cooked then fried pork- with moro (rice with black beans). My husband had the fresh slow cooked ham with yucca, moro, plantains. Also very good. The arroz con leche was very cinamommy - just how we like it. We recommend this place and will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- CessieDined on 5/24/2014Food was great and the service was even better...this is my third time and I have no complainsSpecial Features:
- Good Food, Big portionsFoodGrl79Dined on 5/23/2014Food was really good and they give you huge portions. You could probably order an appetizer and one meal and share. That is probably why they are a little bit expensive, but all in all it was an all around enjoyable time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great FoodLadyBernDined on 5/11/2014The food at Azucar was amazing. In addition the drinks (mojitos) were excellent. We will be back very shortly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JackieODined on 5/10/2014My husband ate here on Saturday night. It was our anniversary. We ordered the sampler for the appetizer. It was huge and everything on it was well prepared and served hot. We then ordered the breaded steak with white rice and black beans. The portions were huge. My husband and I had to share it and take one order home. I am definitely going back and spreading the word to all my friends.Special Features:
- Great atmosphere.....slow waitersLeonDined on 3/20/2014I look forward to visiting again. The smoke room waiter was very timely, friendly and visited us often. She made the slow service downstairs bearable!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A gemOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/15/2014I really enjoyed the food. It was very tasty and fresh. I loved the music, I couldn't stop dancing in my chair.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not what it used to be...YearlyvisitDined on 3/15/2014Went with a group of six to celebrate my parent's anniversary. While the waitresses were very nice, they did not come by very often. We had to constantly ask other servers for items such as refilling our water glasses. They would stay empty and no one would refill them unless we asked. The food was good, but ended up being very salty as many of us were very thirsty. I've been going to this establishment for over 10 years and its just not what it used to be. I cant say we had a bad time, because we had a good time, but whomever is managing this place needs to take a hard look at the way things were ran back in 2005-2008 and go back to that formula.Special Features:
- Good foodMDanteVIPDined on 2/22/2014The food was very good and I'm a fan of Cuban food and have eaten at just about every one in Jersey City, Hoboken, West New York and Manhattan. However, the mojitos are not nearly as good as those at The Cuban in Hoboken. Nice place overall though and service was good.
- ExcellentniryDined on 2/14/2014The food and drinks were delicious. Its a very romantic place to Take a date or love one.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The food was ok, nothing great;JuanDined on 2/14/2014The food was ok, nothing great; I was really disappointed with the fact that they charged me $1 for extra lemons, which was ridiculous!!!
- Great Experience! I Will DefinitelynwnwDined on 2/4/2014Great Experience! I Will Definitely Go Back! The Food And Service Was Amazing... I Recommend Going For Any Type Of Occasion!Special Features:
- special helpMrBobeVIPDined on 1/16/2014went for an early business lunch and when we arrived there was lively music playing so the waitress suggested we go upstairs for quiet and she would serve us there. What a great living room type atmosphere and lunch was great. The staff went out of their way to take care of us. Would definitely go back soon and look forward to dinner in this lively place. Thanks again to all!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and musicAnaTDined on 12/21/2013I have been back many times and each time the food doesnt dissapoint! Great late night dancing too with a DJ, this time it was not crowded, maybe before Christmas it was kind of empty, usually busier. only negative, the wine list is weak :(, but the sangria is very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Decent food. Way too loudVal46Dined on 12/13/2013I have booked a small bday party dinner at Azucar. Despite me noting on the reservation that it was a birthday celebration, the restaturant did not do one of their customary deserts with bongos celebration. No biggie. The place was freezing to the point where we asked the waiter twice to turn up the temperature. People were sitting in coats. He finally brought out a space heater. We sat down around 9 pm and the music was blasting. If I had known the noise level, I would not have made dinner reservations there. WAY too Loud to eat and converse. The music if fine after dinner hours, when they close the restaurant section, but to have it blasting before is just inconsiderate. Food was delicious, portions generous and the drinks were decent.
- Cuban Hot SpotOrloDined on 12/13/2013If you like Cuban, this is IT. My friends took me out for my birthday and instead of ordering dinner, we ordered a large variety of appetizers and they were all delicious. The waiter gave us tips on popular dishes and was very attentive, except for keeping my water glass full. Food was a hit. They had great music and dancing too!Special Features:
- Great Cuban FoodNYCoupleVIPDined on 11/15/2013Some of the best food I've ever had. Try the steak with fruit or the pork dishes, all are great. The service was excellent. A bit pricey for the area but a real find. Nice bar scene too.Special Features:
- A great find in Jersey City, NJKhcallDined on 10/15/2013My wife and I went there on a whim and coudn't have been more pleased. I had the rib eye, it was glorious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Havana NorthPirateBlueDined on 10/12/2013Great food, great service, great music, and a cigar bar to cap off dinner... Priceless.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun, lively placebigfanDined on 9/13/2013$5 glasses of Veuve Cliquot? I thought I heard them incorrectly. Friendly service and tasty Cuban fare. A bit loud but otherwise a fun night out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Latin foodOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/3/2013Food's always good especially masitas de puerco. Nice variety of food.Sangria needs help. Taste like snapple with a wine cooler. plus at $26 for small pitcher not a good value.Service is good especially hostess. Nice hearing salsa music as you eat in the background . We'll go back and stick to mojitos.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Azucar is Cuban Bliss!LEMitchellVIPDined on 7/30/2013A real find in the Newport section of Jersey City. Food and service were really outstanding and the restaurant made every effort to accommodate both food allergies and allergies to cigar smoke. Warning: despite an excellent air system the smell of cigar smoke is still present in the restaurant. We sat outside and it was lovely.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for lunch but.........VinuVIPDined on 7/17/2013I had a great lunch there but cannot give it a good review as I returned the next evening for drinks after dinner (and possibly a smoke) with some important out of town guests - long line at bar - was told no cocktail waitress in smoking lounge so get your drinks at bar - well after waiting 20 minutes at bar and then being informed 'we are short of staff' I said so we should go elsewhere - restaurant did not seemed bothered at all!
- Foodie Cigar Smokersdey99Dined on 7/10/2013Really nice and underused cigar lounge upstairs. I was surprised there weren't more people there. I met an old colleague to have some dinner and smoke a cigar. I was surprised that no ginger mohitos were on the drink menu. Dinner was good we both got the red snapper special. Fish and rice and beans were excellent. We had to ask for some sauce for the fish and they were great too. There is a really nice outside seating area off of the bar. We bought cigars there, smoked outside and had a few bourbons and cognac. Not much selection of cigars, but the vibrant outdoor area was great fun.Special Features:
- Azucar experienceCubansmokeDined on 6/29/2013This place has it all! You can dine inside or out, either way you will have a great time. You can't go wrong with anything on the menu, from the appetizers to the chicken,steak or fish. After your done eating you can enjoy the cigar lounge upstairs or go outside. Great place to enjoy during anytime of the day or night. The party starts at night with live dj's playing all styles of music. Love this place!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Friendly Cultural GemWinemakerVIPDined on 6/20/2013I made a last minute reservation for one for a late dinner Thursday night. The staff was very nice and helpful. I dined outside. Enjoyed different style mojitas, chorizo, black bean soup, and the special which was filleted red snapper - all yummy! Will go again soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A few service flawsOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/12/2013Food was very good, and our SECOND server was excellent. I'll explain, upon arrival on a Wednesday night at 8pm, very few tables were occupied, my girlfriend and I were seated by the door which was a bit annoying due the winds coming in every time the door was opened. We inquired about a semi circle table which was close by which seated 4 people, the waiter once again asked the hostess and we were informed that's only for 4 people, now I can understand if the place was even remotely close to capacity on a Wednesday night, which it wasn't, and the semi circle table sat empty along with the rest of the other tables the rest of the night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bad servicewilberhdezDined on 6/1/2013We left the restaurant because it took 30 minutes for us to get a waiter. Even after he arrived, he had a bit of an attitude. After that I wasn't interested in sticking around to have a bad dining experience. I didn't like the idea that I had to tip him after making what I just experienced. We walked up to the hostess and asked her to cancel the order.
- I wish the cigar lounge wasJuicenShellyDined on 5/18/2013I wish the cigar lounge was a little nicer, basically just a small room with a couple couches. Also it was not well ventilated.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I was a bit disappointed thatCassDined on 5/17/2013I was a bit disappointed that this was a Cuban restaurant and there wasn't a pulled-pork option on the menu. The pork cubes were good but a little dry and needed a sauce to go with them. The drinks were good and the music was nice but there wasn't a live band. And considering that it was a beautiful night there weren't that many people there.Special Features:
- nice atmosphereBeauGosseDined on 5/16/2013This restaurant is worth your every dime. The waitresses are veey nice. The atmosphere is incredibly wowww! !! The food is extremely delicious. I already start planning my next date.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great appsmbmdDined on 5/11/2013Took my mom for her birthday and we had a great time. We split an assortment of appetizers that satisfied the taste buds and the presentation pleased the eyes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.