5800 Geary Blvd.
San Francisco, CA 94121Neighborhood:
MoroccanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.aziza-sf.com/
- Phone: (415) 752-2222
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Wednesday - Monday: 5:30pm - 10pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Moroccan, Mediterranean
- Executive Chef: Mourad Lahlou
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
A word from Aziza
michelin starred aziza presents inventive takes on california influenced, mediterranean & moroccan dishes, all enhance with western style service, beverages & desserts - adapted to a fine-dining setting. organic & locally produced ingredients are prominently featured on the menu that portrays mourad lahlou’s unique creations & modern versions of moroccan classics. the dinner menu is designed for flexibility with a diverse range of meal options. the inspired starter menu presents refreshing appetizer choices, or can serve as a basis for a complete meal. moroccan classics are well represented & are accompanied by signature & innovative selections. the tasting menu is designed for family-style dining & highlights the flavors & textures which encompass the entire range of the menu.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Aziza reviews from OpenTable diners
188 reviews since July 25, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (144)special occasion (98)romantic (90)neighborhood gem (70)notable wine list (38)good for groups (29)hot spot (22)vibrant bar scene (7)late-night find (5)great for brunch (2)great for outdoor dining (2)kid-friendly (2)great for lunch (1)Show More
- Just no air flow...OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 11/9/2014The dining experience was good, strongly recommend the batseeya and lamb shank. We just felt a little stuffy inside. The place could improve its ventilation.Special Features:
- overrateddoublemayoDined on 11/9/2014what a disappointment! after hearing so much about aziza for so many years i really expected something very good. everything here was tired, the decor, the service, and the menu was pricey and the portions--even more something like the cous cous, even though it was vegetarian was small and skimpy on the actual vegetables. the best things were the wine and the fact that is was quiet. maybe once it was noteworthy but now they are going thru the motions. the chronicle should be embarrassed about having this restaurant on the top 100 list, it doe not deserve to be on the same list with a place like Quince. No way.
- Marvelous Tasting MenuruthDined on 11/6/2014Our tasting menu was one of the best in the city. Inventive, delicious and seemed a good buy at $95.00 per person. It is one that I would look forward to experiencing again. Each course was a surprise and none were a disappointment. Aziza is consistently one of the best restaurants in the city. The desert chef is also remarkable and never fails to deliver a new wonderful experience. We will return again and againSpecial Features:
- 3 years ago this was our first dateOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 11/2/2014We make it a point to come here for our anniversary every year. And even though the staff changes, the food is always spectacular.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Superpfood2mDined on 10/29/2014Entire meal was superb. The red bell pepper cocktail, the spreads, lamb loin, black sesame cake and the wine. I will definitely return to try more dishes. However, the service seemed to be a bit off.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Falls short of expectations!CityStayInSFDined on 10/26/2014Aziza serves good food, but falls short of expectations for a 1 Michelin star restaurant. Service is particularly poor. Being seated at our table, we asked for the tasting menu, but were told that it was not being offered that night. As the meal progresses, I realize that the table next to ours is being served the tasting menu, so I ask our waiter again if we should have ordered it in advance. He said there was a setback in the kitchen that prevented the restaurant for offering us the tasting menu. In addition, throughout the meal our courses and drinks (which we shared) came out of order, and the waiter appeared uninterested to describe the food to us. The service felt rushed and lacked attention to detail.Special Features:
- Good for wine, appetizers, dessertOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/23/2014On the positive side, the Moroccan-inspired spicy taste is always interesting, the wine list is very well thought-out, the appetizers are good if not spectacular, and the desserts are sumptuous. On the negative side the portions are tiny, the main dishes are pedestrian, and the prices are too high for the quantity, the quality, and the far-from-everything location.Special Features:
- SpectacularLovefrVB2SFDined on 10/22/2014Wow, did I luck out when I Googled "restaurants near Golden Gate Park." Aziza was listed, reservation booked via OpenTable, and one of my top dining experiences, ever, ensued. And I have had some fantastic dining experiences before this one. I indulged in their chef's tasting with drink pairing, and it was perfection. Each next course, just when you thought the last could not possibly be topped, would somehow surpass its predecessor. The atmosphere was quiet and intimate, and the staff made my dining experience seem like an exercise in sheer pleasure. Everything was well-timed, not rushed but no long waits between courses. I was visiting SF for only a few days, for the first time, and part of what will bring me back is to eat here again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- HappydazeDined on 10/22/2014We did not receive god service from where we were placed to when we were served.
- Anniversary Occasion...customerDined on 10/18/2014It was our anniversary, and being new in SF I was curious to try this place. However, having been to other Moroccan restaurants in London, Dubai their menu lacked main dishes that Moroccan restaurants are famous for.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MenuPrivateDined on 10/18/2014Unfortunately, we could not order more food from the menu. Next time!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Definitely worth a return!SwapnaVIPDined on 10/17/2014More like farm-to-table New American than anywhere close to recognizable Moroccan--but beautifully displayed, carefully rendered and extremely palatable multiple mini courses nevertheless. We ordered the tasting menu with a slight bit of trepidation even though this was our first visit--and we're glad we did! Knowledgeable sommelier & impeccable service. Suffice it to say that we will be coming back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Basteeya heavenJDeatsDined on 10/17/2014The cocktails, the food all make my mouth happy. A bit slow in between courses so don;t go if you have to rush to a show.Special Features:
- Worst mealwxyzDined on 10/12/2014This was the worst meal I have had in a very long time. I read the reviews and went. Don't be fooled. It was also very expensive.
- ArchimedesDined on 10/11/2014Exelent service, artistic food and coctails. Strongly recommendSpecial Features:
- Didn't live up to hypegwagVIPDined on 10/11/2014Party of 4 - 1 thumbs up, 1 thumbs down, 2 thought it was just ok. Portions were very small, some entrees flavorful, some (bluenose bass) lacked sauce, accompaniment. Wished we made a meal of appetizers which were good. We are not big eaters but left hungry and unsatisfied.
- Wonderfully unique and amazingOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/10/2014Of all the places we ate in SF and Napa would have to say this was in the top three. Memorable and unique dishes - perfectly prepared. It is not often we can go out to eat and say "We've never had anything like this before" and yet at Aziza three of the four things we ordered we could say that about. Highly recommend this place to anyone visiting SF.Special Features:
- AcePDined on 10/9/2014"Excellent Moroccan fare -- always consistently good.Special Features:
- Excellent!cmizDined on 10/8/2014Was there for dinner with friends - a wonderful setting with a very friendly staff. The food is exquisite, cocktails are amazing and the place leaves you wanting to come back and try everything else on the menu !Special Features:
- Fabulous spot.LivingLifeOutLoudDined on 10/6/2014I had never been to Aziza before but decided to adventure out and take my business colleagues with me. Our waiter was a little slow in getting our wine to us and we initially thought, OH NO! However to all of us, this ended up being a great evening. The food was remarkable in taste, texture and display. Everything was perfect; from the appetizers to dessert. A definite spot to return to in the future.Special Features:
- Wonderful food and serviceBethDined on 10/5/2014We arrived early for our reservation on a Sunday Evening and was greeted warmly and give a table right away. The restaurant is casual yet has a sophisticated feel. The waiter was attentive and the cocktails out of this world! The food surpassed our expectations-- tomato salad with slice geoduck - striped bass -- everything was top notch. I would recommend this restaurant to anyone who likes food that is flavorful and inventive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- cozy place, perfect food.NatalieDined on 10/2/2014Simple, but cosy place. Food was amazing, we had chicken wings and lamb. Bar was busy, so we had to wait for drinks. The bad thing- it's a bit far from city center, so hard to get a taxi on your way back and its bout 10-15min drive from Union square.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Better Than Ever!YumYumDined on 10/2/2014We have dined at Aziza since they first opened. However, this was our first time this year. Perfect food and possibly the best service I have ever had from a waitperson (Reed). Have the agave cocktail with arugula! And, the surprise of the beet presentation was out discovery of precious, crisp, marvelous beet meringues! I cannot wait to return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TobalaVIPDined on 9/29/2014For the most part dinner was very good which included the leg of lamb, and the seabass. I had the Cornish Hen which was dry and tasteless(should have sent it back). Looked and tasted like processed chicken breast shaped into small lumps. The appetizer spread was very good, but each was the size of a quarter and cost $15.00. That item must be a huge profit center and does not begin the meal with a good feeling. I had the sponge cake for desert- again rather dry and tasteless. The other guests had the raspberry sorbet with goat cheese ice which was certainly unusual, but not tasteful. We have been to the restaurant many times, but this evening was a disappointment, and will probably not return.
- LOVE this World-Class GEMKtaylorDined on 9/28/2014It consistently amazes me at how incredible the food is here. I've had the best salmon, chicken, cocktails and deserts IN MY LONG FOODIE life here. I love this place. Just took my kids and they were wowed. The cookbook is a work of art, make sure you get it.Special Features:
- DisappointedwinendineVIPDined on 9/19/2014My husband and I were celebrating my 40th birthday and were sadly disappointed with the overall experience at Aziza. The service was not good at all, in fact it felt as though our server was ignoring us at times; she did not once check on us during our starter, entree or desert. She basically had no idea how our food was and when we were done and sitting with dirty desert plates, it took us 15 minutes to 'flag' her down. We would never return, and actually told friends who cancelled their reservation based on our experience. It is a shame that this restaurant is letting their service go.
- Nice timeCoHighPriestessDined on 9/18/2014We had a very nice time at Aziza. The food was quite good, and the service was very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodhighstandardsDined on 9/17/2014Food was great. Unique dishes and combination of flavors that are hard to find elsewhere. Drinks were fabulous. Again, very original, very flavorful without being overly sweet. The interior, however, is a bit musty, and I wish the owners renovated the whole place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pretty goodCarolineDined on 9/14/2014The starters were phenomenal. We were therefore expecting the main courses to be just as good, but they turned out to be disappointing. I do *not* expect to be served overcooked fish at a 1-star Michelin restaurant. Other than the mains, everything else about the restaurant was great. Service was excellent, the wine list was unusual (in a good way), and they can easily accommodate dairy allergies.Special Features:
- A great find off the hillBirdlegzVIPDined on 9/14/2014Found this restaurant, when it was suggested to me by some young friends in Chicago. They were right! The food was flavored in ways I never would have considered, and the results were excellent and memorable. My only critique is that there are too many menus, that cover the table, producing a sort of...administrative task to ordering.Special Features:
- Was this just a bad night?BcereusVIPDined on 9/14/2014This used to be one of my favorite restaurants. I haven't been back for more than a year (not intentionally), until last night. I hope that Aziza isn't going the way of other "celebrity chef" restaurants, but i fear it might be. While the bastiya is still extraordinary, our main courses (game hen and salmon) were only OK. Both were a tiny bit overcooked and dry, and neither had the interesting flavors that used to be the hallmark of this restaurant's fare.The prices don't justify the current level of cuisine. Service remains attentive and good (tho 2 busboys hadn't shown up for work, our server was admirable). Mr. Lahlou----pay attention!!!!!!
- Great atmosphere!MimiDined on 9/12/2014Had a wonderful experience. Innovative cocktails were delightful. I especially enjoyed the "small plates". We chose the Basteeya and raw fish which were incredible. Attentive and friendly service was highly appreciated.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AZIZA THE GEMericladaviereDined on 9/12/2014The second time that I've been to this gem of a restaurant. The environment is conducive to conversation and the space between the tables was well appreciated. Quality of the food is exceptional, creatively prepared with enough of the Moroccan influence to distinguish its flavors. The service was uneven- some of the servers making direct eye contact and personalizing their service while others were just food deliverers looking handsome. There is no question in my mind that Chef Mourad is an inspired culinarian and deserves to share his artistry with those who appreciate a wonderful dining experience. I would like to see the service there become more in sync with the brilliance of the kitchen.Special Features:
- Stunningly GreatddelrussDined on 9/6/2014Every dish was amazing - everyone in my family, including kids, was impressed. Service was really spectacular, our waiter knew the menu and made great beer matching recommendations. Overall it was stunningly great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- So many wayslindaliverDined on 9/6/2014This place has it all: open space for larger groups, small intimate for 1-4, cocktails and small but great wine and beer menu. Also the food menu is extremely varied and there's even a tasting menu if the whole table is into it. Two kinds of lamb dishes on 1 menu???? Nowhere else in this City can you find this as there's very few restaurants that regularly serve one! And the accompaniements and presentation are great! Surprised!!!Special Features:
- OutstandingOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/5/2014Wonderful and creative food with a hip and laid back vibe.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delightful night outOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/5/2014Everything on the simple menu is a treat. Service is superb, as is the ambience. Don't miss the hand-crafted specialty cocktails!Special Features:
- Precious, Delicious but PreciousSuzieRichmondDined on 9/4/2014The food is delicious and beautifully presented, but not with the grace I would expect from a restaurant of that caliber. They do seem a bit full of themselves. And they really should upgrade the front dining area. Maybe with a group where you can try the many options and share. We would go again and hope that they are more gracious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Molecular gastronomy meets MorrocanRuggerfoodieDined on 9/3/2014The dishes on the tasting menu are impeccably crafted and restrained. Definitely deserves its Michelin star. One of the best foodie experiences in San Francisco.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FoodloverDined on 9/3/2014To add a lot of things to a dish makes it more complex, richer but you have to mix them in a way to build a plate with personality.... Second dishes can not be introduced in a cold plate, it should be heated in the oven previously, otherwise the valous contents get cold very quickly.... One table, one waiter( no three or more) or one has to repeat everything, they get confused... The beef Was incredible, thoug a very small portion. Goat yogur with raspberry ice crean excelent and creative.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.