5800 Geary Blvd.
San Francisco, CA 94121Neighborhood:
MoroccanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.aziza-sf.com/
- Phone: 4157522222
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Wednesday - Monday: 5:30pm - 10pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Moroccan, Mediterranean
- Executive Chef: Mourad Lahlou
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
A word from Aziza
michelin starred aziza presents inventive takes on california influenced, mediterranean & moroccan dishes, all enhance with western style service, beverages & desserts - adapted to a fine-dining setting. organic & locally produced ingredients are prominently featured on the menu that portrays mourad lahlou’s unique creations & modern versions of moroccan classics. the dinner menu is designed for flexibility with a diverse range of meal options. the inspired starter menu presents refreshing appetizer choices, or can serve as a basis for a complete meal. moroccan classics are well represented & are accompanied by signature & innovative selections. the tasting menu is designed for family-style dining & highlights the flavors & textures which encompass the entire range of the menu.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Aziza reviews from OpenTable diners
198 reviews since June 22, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (153)special occasion (113)romantic (103)neighborhood gem (82)notable wine list (37)good for groups (35)hot spot (23)late-night find (8)vibrant bar scene (6)great for brunch (2)great for outdoor dining (2)kid-friendly (2)great for lunch (1)Show More
- Definitely worth a return!SwapnaVIPDined on 10/17/2014More like farm-to-table New American than anywhere close to recognizable Moroccan--but beautifully displayed, carefully rendered and extremely palatable multiple mini courses nevertheless. We ordered the tasting menu with a slight bit of trepidation even though this was our first visit--and we're glad we did! Knowledgeable sommelier & impeccable service. Suffice it to say that we will be coming back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worst mealOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/12/2014This was the worst meal I have had in a very long time. I read the reviews and went. Don't be fooled. It was also very expensive.
- ArchimedesDined on 10/11/2014Exelent service, artistic food and coctails. Strongly recommendSpecial Features:
- Didn't live up to hypegwagVIPDined on 10/11/2014Party of 4 - 1 thumbs up, 1 thumbs down, 2 thought it was just ok. Portions were very small, some entrees flavorful, some (bluenose bass) lacked sauce, accompaniment. Wished we made a meal of appetizers which were good. We are not big eaters but left hungry and unsatisfied.
- Excellent!cmizDined on 10/8/2014Was there for dinner with friends - a wonderful setting with a very friendly staff. The food is exquisite, cocktails are amazing and the place leaves you wanting to come back and try everything else on the menu !Special Features:
- Fabulous spot.LivingLifeOutLoudDined on 10/6/2014I had never been to Aziza before but decided to adventure out and take my business colleagues with me. Our waiter was a little slow in getting our wine to us and we initially thought, OH NO! However to all of us, this ended up being a great evening. The food was remarkable in taste, texture and display. Everything was perfect; from the appetizers to dessert. A definite spot to return to in the future.Special Features:
- Wonderful food and serviceBethDined on 10/5/2014We arrived early for our reservation on a Sunday Evening and was greeted warmly and give a table right away. The restaurant is casual yet has a sophisticated feel. The waiter was attentive and the cocktails out of this world! The food surpassed our expectations-- tomato salad with slice geoduck - striped bass -- everything was top notch. I would recommend this restaurant to anyone who likes food that is flavorful and inventive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- cozy place, perfect food.NatalieDined on 10/2/2014Simple, but cosy place. Food was amazing, we had chicken wings and lamb. Bar was busy, so we had to wait for drinks. The bad thing- it's a bit far from city center, so hard to get a taxi on your way back and its bout 10-15min drive from Union square.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Better Than Ever!YumYumDined on 10/2/2014We have dined at Aziza since they first opened. However, this was our first time this year. Perfect food and possibly the best service I have ever had from a waitperson (Reed). Have the agave cocktail with arugula! And, the surprise of the beet presentation was out discovery of precious, crisp, marvelous beet meringues! I cannot wait to return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TobalaVIPDined on 9/29/2014For the most part dinner was very good which included the leg of lamb, and the seabass. I had the Cornish Hen which was dry and tasteless(should have sent it back). Looked and tasted like processed chicken breast shaped into small lumps. The appetizer spread was very good, but each was the size of a quarter and cost $15.00. That item must be a huge profit center and does not begin the meal with a good feeling. I had the sponge cake for desert- again rather dry and tasteless. The other guests had the raspberry sorbet with goat cheese ice which was certainly unusual, but not tasteful. We have been to the restaurant many times, but this evening was a disappointment, and will probably not return.
- LOVE this World-Class GEMKtaylorDined on 9/28/2014It consistently amazes me at how incredible the food is here. I've had the best salmon, chicken, cocktails and deserts IN MY LONG FOODIE life here. I love this place. Just took my kids and they were wowed. The cookbook is a work of art, make sure you get it.Special Features:
- DisappointedwinendineVIPDined on 9/19/2014My husband and I were celebrating my 40th birthday and were sadly disappointed with the overall experience at Aziza. The service was not good at all, in fact it felt as though our server was ignoring us at times; she did not once check on us during our starter, entree or desert. She basically had no idea how our food was and when we were done and sitting with dirty desert plates, it took us 15 minutes to 'flag' her down. We would never return, and actually told friends who cancelled their reservation based on our experience. It is a shame that this restaurant is letting their service go.
- Nice timeCoHighPriestessDined on 9/18/2014We had a very nice time at Aziza. The food was quite good, and the service was very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodhighstandardsDined on 9/17/2014Food was great. Unique dishes and combination of flavors that are hard to find elsewhere. Drinks were fabulous. Again, very original, very flavorful without being overly sweet. The interior, however, is a bit musty, and I wish the owners renovated the whole place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pretty goodCarolineDined on 9/14/2014The starters were phenomenal. We were therefore expecting the main courses to be just as good, but they turned out to be disappointing. I do *not* expect to be served overcooked fish at a 1-star Michelin restaurant. Other than the mains, everything else about the restaurant was great. Service was excellent, the wine list was unusual (in a good way), and they can easily accommodate dairy allergies.Special Features:
- A great find off the hillBirdlegzVIPDined on 9/14/2014Found this restaurant, when it was suggested to me by some young friends in Chicago. They were right! The food was flavored in ways I never would have considered, and the results were excellent and memorable. My only critique is that there are too many menus, that cover the table, producing a sort of...administrative task to ordering.Special Features:
- Was this just a bad night?BcereusVIPDined on 9/14/2014This used to be one of my favorite restaurants. I haven't been back for more than a year (not intentionally), until last night. I hope that Aziza isn't going the way of other "celebrity chef" restaurants, but i fear it might be. While the bastiya is still extraordinary, our main courses (game hen and salmon) were only OK. Both were a tiny bit overcooked and dry, and neither had the interesting flavors that used to be the hallmark of this restaurant's fare.The prices don't justify the current level of cuisine. Service remains attentive and good (tho 2 busboys hadn't shown up for work, our server was admirable). Mr. Lahlou----pay attention!!!!!!
- Great atmosphere!MimiDined on 9/12/2014Had a wonderful experience. Innovative cocktails were delightful. I especially enjoyed the "small plates". We chose the Basteeya and raw fish which were incredible. Attentive and friendly service was highly appreciated.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AZIZA THE GEMericladaviereDined on 9/12/2014The second time that I've been to this gem of a restaurant. The environment is conducive to conversation and the space between the tables was well appreciated. Quality of the food is exceptional, creatively prepared with enough of the Moroccan influence to distinguish its flavors. The service was uneven- some of the servers making direct eye contact and personalizing their service while others were just food deliverers looking handsome. There is no question in my mind that Chef Mourad is an inspired culinarian and deserves to share his artistry with those who appreciate a wonderful dining experience. I would like to see the service there become more in sync with the brilliance of the kitchen.Special Features:
- Stunningly GreatddelrussDined on 9/6/2014Every dish was amazing - everyone in my family, including kids, was impressed. Service was really spectacular, our waiter knew the menu and made great beer matching recommendations. Overall it was stunningly great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- So many wayslindaliverDined on 9/6/2014This place has it all: open space for larger groups, small intimate for 1-4, cocktails and small but great wine and beer menu. Also the food menu is extremely varied and there's even a tasting menu if the whole table is into it. Two kinds of lamb dishes on 1 menu???? Nowhere else in this City can you find this as there's very few restaurants that regularly serve one! And the accompaniements and presentation are great! Surprised!!!Special Features:
- OutstandingOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/5/2014Wonderful and creative food with a hip and laid back vibe.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delightful night outOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/5/2014Everything on the simple menu is a treat. Service is superb, as is the ambience. Don't miss the hand-crafted specialty cocktails!Special Features:
- Precious, Delicious but PreciousSuzieRichmondDined on 9/4/2014The food is delicious and beautifully presented, but not with the grace I would expect from a restaurant of that caliber. They do seem a bit full of themselves. And they really should upgrade the front dining area. Maybe with a group where you can try the many options and share. We would go again and hope that they are more gracious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Molecular gastronomy meets MorrocanRuggerfoodieDined on 9/3/2014The dishes on the tasting menu are impeccably crafted and restrained. Definitely deserves its Michelin star. One of the best foodie experiences in San Francisco.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FoodloverDined on 9/3/2014To add a lot of things to a dish makes it more complex, richer but you have to mix them in a way to build a plate with personality.... Second dishes can not be introduced in a cold plate, it should be heated in the oven previously, otherwise the valous contents get cold very quickly.... One table, one waiter( no three or more) or one has to repeat everything, they get confused... The beef Was incredible, thoug a very small portion. Goat yogur with raspberry ice crean excelent and creative.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Exceptional dining experience.NanandTedVIPDined on 9/3/2014This is a beautiful restaurant, with a very gracious & professional waitstaff & the food is simply extraordinary. On my most recent of three evenings at Aziza, my companion & I each ordered the Tasting Menu. This was a wonderful dining experience. We enjoyed all of the courses tremendously. There was something very special in each course. The presentation was dramatic without being pretentious. The pacing was comfortable & portions were perfect for the 13 courses served. Clientele attire ranges from casual to dress up. It is worthy of a special occasion evening. For a special occasion or romantic evening, ask for one of their beautiful booths - they are quiet.Special Features:
- ExcellencesumitVIPDined on 9/1/2014appetizers and dessert was great...entrees were good. combination of some of the ingredients were excellent...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Aziza experienceCarmuDined on 8/30/2014We were quite disappointed. The total lack of good Moroccan flavours, coupled with the overly curt attitude of the staff certainly distracted us from enjoying ourselves. the ambience was more fast food rather than sophisticated dining. We were overcharged for our wine (the garçon denied this very authoratively).
- So so...OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 8/29/2014The best thing about this Michelin star restaurant is the attentiveness of the staff, everything else was nothing to rave about. The flatbread spread was tasty, but very small and pricey. The basteeya was odd, it was too sweet to be an appetizer/entree, it almost tastes like it should have been a dessert, but not really...Special Features:
- Never DisappointscwilsonVIPDined on 8/29/2014Delicate flavors and artful presentation characterize Aziza yet the restaurant never feels pretentious. The cous-cous was absolutely perfect. The beet salad, with beets prepared several different ways, was surprising and delicious. I resisted ordering the strawberry mousse dessert but am glad I did because. Loved the variety of textures and the scrumptious ice cream. It was the perfect ending to a great meal.Special Features:
- Morocco meets nouvelleOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/25/2014I was a little jingoistically apprehensive at the thought of a Moroccan fine dining experience, I should not have been so judgmental. The food; and the presentation were outstanding. The spread appetizers were excellent, as was the duck confit basteeya. Our main courses were also excellent. I had never had lamb belly before, and it was the fatty, luscious lamb of my imagination. Everything was well presented and our server was knowledgeable. My only complaint was the room seemed a little warm, but the total experience made me recommend the place to several friends. It's hard to say a place with a Michelin star is undiscovered, but I had not been there before and will go back.Special Features:
- Excellent Food, Poor AmbienceSFFoodLoverDined on 8/22/2014The food was delicious and well presented. For the price of the entrees, atmosphere was disappointing. Although the food was exceptional, because San Francisco has such a plethora of amazing restaurants, it will be a while before I visit Aziza again. If they decide to overhaul of the decor, it will be sooner for sure! If you are looking for a traditional experience, this is not the place to visit. If you would like a hint of Moroccan style food with an extravagant flair, then try Aziza! The service was excellent as well, but didn't make up for the overly bright recessed lighting, and lack of warmth and interesting design details. It was not conducive to relaxed conversation. If you only want delicious food, this place will deliver.Special Features:
- The kitchen can't carry bad serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 8/22/2014Front of house needs to be revamped. Service is very SF, pretends to be friendly but condescending. Dining room layout not up to standards of the kitchen and amateurish hostess would leave tables empty rather than accommodate a seating request. We had bar snacks and went to a better run establishment for dinner.Special Features:
- Very disappointing with bad serviceWeimarnerVIPDined on 8/20/2014We were looking forward to visiting Aziza for a long time as I saw the reviews and interview with chef both claiming how accommodating they were for vegetarians. I saw online that they make vegetarian besteeya. Anyway, when we got to the place and saw the menu it had all of 3 vegetarian appetizer and a token couscous dish. We asked our sever if they have anything else for vegetarian and her short answer was: nope. So we ordered the token couscous, lentil soup and dips. It took over an hour for our couscous to arrive. The waiters as didn't even come to check or let us know what the delay was. The dishes were good but I will definitely not come back again due to bad service and limited vegetarian choices.
- Exceptional placeJoeBrunoDined on 8/17/2014In a room so ugly I considered leaving, we were served food so good I'd rush back even if they made the place even worse looking--were such a thing possible. I'm a New Yorker, grew up eating Middle Eastern food, went to school with the Sahadi brothers, dated a Syrian girl and am old enough to have dined at the original Marrakesh back in the 70s. What the chef owner is doing at Aziza is nothing short of marvelous; simultaneously showing great love and respect for tradition and a keen understanding of modern dining.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Moroccan in San Franm401Dined on 8/16/2014I haven't had Moroccan at any other restaurant in San Fran but I am confident this is the best! The ambience is great for a quiet romantic dinner. It's also nice to get out of the downtown core and into a different district. The food was unbelievable and our server was awesome. I would go back in a heart beat.Special Features:
- Best mushrooms everEatWithEmDined on 8/15/2014With 3 rooms & remote location, it's easier getting a resi here. As soon as you enter you're treated as a special guest. Our quirky waiter knew the fine nuances of the food and described them w gusto. We didn't choose the tasting menu, but there was 1 for ~$98. We had our socks blown off w the signature duck basteeya (round, not egg roll). My date had the market fish, which was sole, perfectly cooked w the best intricately flavored (trumpet?) mushrooms ever. My Cornish hen dish was less satisfactory w the white meat a little dry and no wowzer taste. Not recommended. We fully enjoyed our lavender rum & peach pisco cocktails. While food was yum, don't expect huge Moroccan taste. This is upscale SF cuisine w a slight Moroccan twist.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved AzizaeatntalkVIPDined on 8/15/2014It was a favorite of mine for many years and friends suggested it for a dinner where we would get to meet each others spouse. We wanted a place with good food creatively prepared and also quiet enough so we could converse. Aziza got an A on all fronts. Finding a quiet restaurant is getting harder to find all the time so this was especially appreciated.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MustlovefoodMustlovefoodDined on 8/15/2014My husband, my teenage son, and I had a wonderful experience at Aziza. We had an early dinner reservation so the mood was pretty quite and subdued. Service was impeccable. My son, being a teenager, looked at the menu and was not too pleased with how some of the food was described. He did not think beef cheeks sounded appetizing but when he tasted it, he thought it was delicious and was sorry he did not order it. Everything was great, from the appetizer to the main course. Wine selection was great. We thought the serving was a bit small so you'll need an appetizer or salad with your main course. We did not get to try their dessert and would like to have the tasting menu the next time we go. Definitely going back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.