Azeen's Afghani Restaurant
110 E Union Street
Pasadena, CA 91103Neighborhood:
AfghanPrice: $30 and under
Azeen's Afghani Restaurant
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.azeensafghanirestaurant.com/
- Phone: 6266833310
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30pm - 2:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Friday: 5:30pm - 9:00pm, Saturday - Sunday: 5:30pm - 9:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Afghan, Indian
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Takeout, Wine
A word from Azeen's Afghani Restaurant
Afghani cuisine is mainly influenced by that of India, Persia, and Mongolia. It draws together spices from India, styles of cooking meat from Persia and noodles from Mongolia. The ingredients are fresh without preservatives. The flavors of Afghanistan include garam, masala, saffron, cinnamon, cloves cardamom, chilies, coriander, black pepper, parsley, dill, and mint. Onion and tomatoes are also important in Afghani cooking. Afghani cuisine is noted for its succulent kabobs. Kabob-e-Gousfand is a lean cut of lamb marinated in a myriad of spices and seasonings, served with bread and seasoned brown rice. The Kabob-e-Murgh for example is a delicious skewer of marinated and charbroiled chicken served on a bed of seasoned brown rice. Other authentic dishes include Quabili Pallaw, lamb covered with brown seasoned basmati rice and topped with chopped carrots and raisins, and Mantu, a pastry shell with onion and beef filling and topped with curried vegetables.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Azeen's Afghani Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
8 reviews since June 23, 2014
- Ambiance3.1Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (5)good for groups (4)special occasion (3)neighborhood gem (3)great for lunch (2)kid-friendly (2)romantic (1)Show More
- DisappointingMAKR1VIPDined on 10/11/2014We were anxious to try this Afghani Restaurant. Terribly disappointed. Plain and uninteresting food. Absolutely no ambiance. Service was prompt. There was one person serving. Dour and unsmiling. No attempt at conversation. Dinner order was ordered and taken. That was it. We were in and out in less than an hour. This restaurant in our opinion is certainly not worthy of a Zagat 26.
- Wonderful FoodfoodislifeDined on 9/19/2014My fourth visit to Azeem's and the quality of the food is always extremely high. While we like everything we've had, hightlights are the lamb which is sweet and very tender with exquisitely delicate seasoning, the "Mantu" steamed dumplings and the sauteed butternut quash.Special Features:
- A Wonderful TreatZeldaDined on 8/23/2014We've enjoyed Afghani food before, but our meal here was a real winner. Everything was cooked superbly! We definitely are going back and taking friends.Special Features:
- DELICIOUS!!OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/4/2014I had never had Afghani food before. And the dinner I had at Azeen's was amazing. Everything was delicious, and the whole staff was just really friendly. I can't wait to go back the next time I'm in the area.Special Features:
- The following 28 reviews are from the Azeen's Afghani Restaurant reviews archive.
- Great food! Only Afghani in LA-areaOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 5/12/2014SO worthwhile for a meal! Great food, lovely staff--- highly recommended.Special Features:
- Mother's Day DinnerPasadenaeaterDined on 5/11/2014We live in Pasadena and have been coming here for a number of years. The food is always great...very consistent! Excellent kabobs and many vegetarian entrees.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A real findEclectictastesDined on 4/30/2014Very tasty and flavorful food with unusual flavors. Subtly delicious. Atmosphere almost elegant. Reasonable prices. Well worth a visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What a gem!JH63Dined on 4/5/2014Unlike some negative comments (that don't really qualify as reviews), we found the food to be a wonderfully subtle cross between Persian and Indian -- absolutely delicious. If your group has Claimjumper-sized appetites, then yes, the portions might seem small, but for the two of us we split an appetizer, had an entry and a side dish, split a dessert, and each had a glass of wine, and we were plenty full. The staff, including the owner, were most gracious and very friendly. Service was leisurely, as it should be. We will definitely go back, and are sorry we waited so long to try it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Reliably tastyMicsterVIPDined on 3/29/2014We had a nice meal, well prepared and even took some take-out samosas for the boyfriend who had to work. They made a nice breakfast snack.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food in an nice placergzspickVIPDined on 3/1/2014Our first experience in this nice restaurant. Afghan food is not spicy and is flavorful. We had a very good dinner here trying the Aushak, as an appetizer, and I had the Quabili Pallow, (rice, lamb, cooked carrots and raisins on top) as my main course. My wife had the mixed kabob. All the dishes were excellent. I recommend this restaurant if you want something different from the usual. There was only one waitperson and a fellow who looked like the owner at dinner time on a rainy Sunday, and the restaurant is nicely decorated. Service was very good, and it was an enjoyable dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Over delivers for the priceFBCLTVIPDined on 2/22/2014Great fresh flavors and family style service provided a good introduction to the food and flavors of Afghanistan. It was reminiscent of Indian cuisine with the curries and spices but with slight differences and much more beef. The wine list is rudimentary as best so if you care about that bring your own. Corkage fee was so inexpensive that we had a good chuckle.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Valentine's Day DinnertwinklesonDined on 2/14/2014We went to Azeen's restaurant for Valentine's Day and the food was amazing. There was a large (loud) group of other diners that I felt over-powered the scene/ambiance and also the waitstaff. However, we plan to go back on another non-holiday night to enjoy the food again because it was really yummy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious!FirsttimerDined on 2/14/2014This was my first time trying Afghani food and I'm glad I started out here. I'll definitely be coming back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Afghan Food in Southern CAthescbaguyVIPDined on 2/1/2014This is the place to come for the best Afghan cuisine within several hundred miles. Afghan food is relatively unknown and undeservedly so; if people tried it, it would be wildly popular. It's kind of a synthesis of Indian and Persian food, but with its own spin. Think of Indian with restraint or Persian with a little more pizzazz. It's tasty and elegant, and it can be highly spiced (meaning "with spices," not "spicy hot"), but refinedly so. Azeen's does every dish to perfection. Don't miss the appetizers--they're as much a highlight of the meal as the main dishes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Visting the Convention CenterpeejayVIPDined on 1/31/2014We were just in Pasadena for an event at the Convention Center and we needed a place for a staff dinner...in an hour. We all agreed on ethnic food and Azeen's had space so we headed there. I ordered a variety of items from the menu for the whole table. The lamb was perfectly cooked and delicious, all vegetarian items were incredible (the butternut squash entree w/yoghurt was particularly tasty) and the appetizers were so good we ordered more after our entrees were delivered. It was a wonderful, casual evening of good food with good friends! It's not the LA-scene for sure --- but it's an Afghani restaurant so one shouldn't expect that. If you're looking for a casual setting with good ethnic food, I would definitely recommend Azeen's.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and great service!WhatsEatingLADined on 1/25/2014I wanted to try everything!! A great way to do things is to put the dishes in the middle and share from them and maybe ask them to stagger the dishes to every five minutes?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Been to this restaurant severalSabrinaVIPDined on 12/29/2013Been to this restaurant several times over the last 10 years. Good food quality and professional service were consistent at every visit. $8 corkage fee is a bargainSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unique!SandyrkVIPDined on 11/23/2013Beautiful interior, interesting food, attentive and patient service.Special Features:
- Afghan RestaurantdiningoutDined on 11/8/2013We were caught in traffic, needed to be at the Pasadena Playhouse by 8, and so needed to order food that could be prepared quickly. We were served a fresh, green salad immediately and delicious bread with a dipping sauce. We ordered two entries. The lamb and spinach was my favorite, but both were good. Portions were generous. Everything tasted fresh and was seasoned perfectly; the spices blended with none dominant. The dining room is small but feels elegant with white table cloths and painted murals of Afghanistan. Other diners included an Afghani family who ordered a feast. We plan to go back to the restaurant with friends when we have more time and try some of the other dishes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Azeen's is a good representationTi5mVIPDined on 11/1/2013Azeen's is a good representation of a great cuisine. Once we actually got seated, things were fine, but there was that pregnant pause by the door looking at lots of empty tables and no staff coming to offer us one. In the oft-told tale, the appetizxers, especially the Aushak, stole the culinary show. Tea goes best with the cuisine and the wine list is unlikley to tempt you. Service at the table was professional and attentive. Art depicting Afghanistan adds to the ambiance.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing!DeviDined on 10/17/2013We ordered the chicken and lamb kababs as well as the spinach and lamb and roasted eggplant dishes. They were all excellent. The meats were flavorful and perfectly cooked. I took my family there on Thursday night and then took my fiance on Friday for lunch because I didn't want him to miss out of the food! Overall, our food at dinner was better than the food we ate the next day, but the kababs were consistently fantastic!Special Features:
- Azeen - great findrmg01Dined on 10/12/2013I found Azeen on Zagat, and I was glad I did. The food was very good. It was a very pleasant experience. We had a vegetarian meal, which is just what we wanted. They also have beef, lamb and chicken. I would definitely go back again when in Pasadena.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Happy out of townerkeyboardsDined on 9/29/2013I want in Pasadena for a business conference and found Azeem's. Having never had Afghan cuisine I decided to try. I was very pleased with my experience. I was their first guest of the evening, so seating was not a problem. During dinner the place filled comfortably. Of particular note was that the majority of the other customers were non-european. I had the sense that the Afghani community frequent this restaurant. One group was a family of 6 and another was a large group (>8). All seemed quite comfortable and content. The service was good for this level of restaurant. The food was quite interesting and tasty. I don't know how well it stacks up to food in Afghanistan, but I quite enjoyed it. I would go back.Special Features:
- Definitely will go back!MeeeeeVIPDined on 9/21/2013The food is excellent and we are anxious to go back and try other dishes. The portions are generous and the entrees come with a salad. We split a lamb and chicken kabob meal and a pasta dish with ground lamb pillows topped with sauteed vegetables. Must go with more people next time so we can try more options :)Special Features:
- Great spotjimsDined on 9/15/2013We love this place. The owners are very friendly and welcoming, the food is exceptional, the atmosphere is cozy and the prices are great. Non-pretentious, cozy, great value.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- hidden gemOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/8/2013the food here is delicious, affordable, and served in reasonable portions. I highly recommend this place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Such Friendly ServiceJinga34VIPDined on 6/24/2013The people at Azeen's Afghani are so nice - they treat you as if you are a longtime friend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food very well prepared, justDudeVIPDined on 6/12/2013Food very well prepared, just not a lot of artery or innovation.Special Features:
- FantasticLuvQualityfoodVIPDined on 5/11/2013The food was amazing. Every bite was full of flavor!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Find!jazzbabyDined on 5/4/2013I was looking for something new for a birthday-weekend pre-theatre dinner. We love ethnic food, so after checking Yelp (4.5), decided on this. We are very glad we did! The ambience is very nice. Service was excellent. Food was brought promptly, and we didn't have to hunt for a waiter when we wanted something. We started with the Sambosa, which is very similar to Indian Samosa, and comes with a spicy green chutney. It was very good. For dinner we had the chicken with carrot and raisin rice, and the Aushak, which was like ravioli. Both dishes were very good. Dinner comes with a salad with a flavorful yogurt dressing, and bread. We also had pistachio rice pudding-very good. My husband's office is nearby, so he may bring home dinner!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Home... Sort of!AmarieDined on 4/28/2013Bura-nee ka-du. Practice saying that a few more times. That's one of the best dishes on the menu -- butternut squash dressed in yogurt and meat sauce. And don't confuse it for heaven until you've had the manta (lamb dumplings). The food is good because the people who make it are kind and the owner is warm... and its prepared perfectly. The silver fox crowd, the young professionals, the snooty, the casual, the families, and the singles know that you come to experience the food. Just let it happen.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- awesome place to go toOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 2/14/2013My girlfriend and I love this restaurant. We have been here about 5 times now and everytime it is always so delicious. I think they are the owners but they invite you to the restaurant with open arms. They are very kind and the service is always great. I have no complaints here.Special Features: