18 Piermont Road
Tenafly, NJ 07670Neighborhood:
GreekPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://axiataverna.com/
- Phone: 2015695999x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 12:00pm - 3:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm, Sunday: 12:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Mediterranean, Greek
- Executive Chef: Alex Gorant
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Entertainment, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Wine
- Catering: Please visit Axia's website to view our catering menu. We cater to any occasion and will help you develop the perfect menu for your event. Please call management for special arrangements.
- Private Party Facilities: Axia is available for private parties for lunch and dinner. The upstairs balcony offers semi-private seating up to 40, Monday - Thursday. The main dining room is available daytime every day for private events up to 90 guests.
- Private Party Contact: Tim 2015695999x
- Entertainment: Tuesday evenings classical guitar and on Wednesday evenings solo bouzouki.
A word from Axia Taverna
Axia Taverna features an exciting Greek menu that has earned rave reviews from NJ foodies since its opening in 2006. Casual elegance reigns at Axia with its sleek, modern layout, and "powerfully inviting interior." Executive Chef Alex Gorant modernizes the typical suburban dining experience by grouping dishes into small plates and big plates. Axia features a full bar and sommelier-chosen Greek vintages. Axia received three star reviews from both the Bergen Record and Crain's New York and has been notably reviewed by the New York Times and by Zagat. Axia Taverna...for lunch, dinner, cocktails, or private events.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreek
Axia Taverna - Best Restaurants in Tenafly ›
Axia Taverna reviews from OpenTable diners
33 reviews since June 4, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (20)fit for foodies (16)special occasion (10)notable wine list (9)good for groups (7)vibrant bar scene (7)romantic (6)hot spot (4)great for lunch (3)great for brunch (2)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- DeliciousOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/21/2014My fiance and I wanted to treat our parents to dinner. We live in Manhattan and are used to outstanding restaurants, and now we wish Axia Taverna was on our side of the river. Wonderful food, very friendly service, and a great wine selection. Lovely environment, we will be back!Special Features:
- Relaxing, Tasty, Well-Served MealZoneDined on 9/9/2014Sitting at the corner table for three in the "sun room," the noise level was almost quiet. Hurray! I suppose that further in it was energetic, unhappily. Wait staff was a delight. All questions answered well, all recommendations showed consideration of the customers. Fish and sides were perfectly prepared, with the mashed potatoes overwhelming in their quantity.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pleasantly SurprisedTDinerDined on 8/31/2014We've in Tenafly for nearly 20 years and never thought of dining in the restaurant. Fortunately, a friend gave an Axia gift certificate. We decided to celebrate our wedding anniversary at Axia. Although the restaurant didn't acknowledge our wedding anniversary (I wrote that when making my reservation via Open Table), it was a pleasant experience. The atmosphere, service, wine and food were perfect.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- barrola53Dined on 8/6/2014Beat octopus ever eaten....melts in your mouth. Food is well prepared & seasoned perfectly. Wine list is reasonably priced with many good choices. Having said this, service is marginal at best! Noise level is horrendous. Knowing this, I will go back for the food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- NanaVIPDined on 7/23/2014Food was quite good, service was just fair and our waiter didn't seem to have a very good handle of the English language since he couldn't easily understand what we were telling him. It took a very long time for one of us to get his appetizer while the other 3 of us were enjoying ours. Inthink Axia needs an extra waiter or 2 especially on evenings when the restaurant is fully occupied.
- Delicious Greek FoodMTCCVIPDined on 7/12/2014Our meal at Axia Taverna was outstanding. We loved the stuffed grape leaves and haloumi cheese appetizers as well as the quail entree. We ended our meal with some wonderful home-made ice cream. Service was efficient and professional and we had a terrific bottle of Greek wine.Special Features:
- Axia does it againmox1162Dined on 6/25/2014The summertime menu is awesome. Celebrated our 9th anniversary. The olive crusted salmon was amazing with a bottle of Atlantic from Greece.Special Features:
- When in TenaflyGoadadVIPDined on 6/6/2014Made lat minute reservation after attending nearby event. Sampler plate of dips very good. Grilled salmon also good. Deserts disappointing.
- The following 208 reviews are from the Axia Taverna reviews archive.
- Outstanding Food and ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 5/23/2014One of our favorite places in North Jersey. Food is always fresh and well-prepared, and service is attentive. When our son visits us, it is always on his list of places to go.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, but....Naples53VIPDined on 5/18/2014The service is incredibly slow. We have found this to be true on quite a few occasions. We appreciate the time needed to prepare the food, but we had trouble getting anyone's attention when part of our order didn't show up and for a dessert order to be taken. Also had to wait for the check to come and then be returned. It is too bad because the food is always really good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for a special eventOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/17/2014We went to Axia to celebrate my husband's birthday. We had a lovely meal, with great service. I will recommend it to others.Special Features:
- Upscale Greek RestaurantMuffinmaddyVIPDined on 5/11/2014We have been coming here for years. Everyone is so accommodating and helpful. We always came here for special occasions but now look forward to coming here more often because the food is so good. Everyone in my family has different tastes and we are all happy here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tasty and magnificent eatsLuv2dineoutDined on 5/11/2014The salmon was perfectly cooked. My friends orzo was amazing. Side dish of rice was so tasty The selection is very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great dinnerMTCCVIPDined on 5/10/2014We had the quail eggs as an appetizer along with grilled sardines - delicious! We both had the sauteed scallops for dinner and they were outstanding. Coupled with a great Greek wine selection by Tim, excellent, friendly service and ambiance, Axia is our favorite Greek restaurant in New Jersey.Special Features:
- Fantastic Greek FoodNarpatDined on 5/5/2014Excellent service, great menu, and variety. As a vegetarian, they always accommodate me, and will often create dishes specially for me :-)Special Features:
- Great Grilled Whole FishOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 5/3/2014Food was outstanding!! Had Branzino Grilled Whole... it was cooked to perfection!! Great Meal!! Great Service!!
- ReenDined on 4/26/2014This was our first time at Axia and we loved it! We will definitely be back!Special Features:
- Innovative Greek foodBabsVIPDined on 4/24/2014Besides some well know Greek dishes,grilled food and spreads and salads, are creative and delicious choices. We had a unique sgreek pasta and an olive crusted salmon ,plus wonderful appetizers and desserts!Special Features:
- wowpopsDined on 4/20/2014came back after several years and was very plesantly surprise on the whole package. Great we will be back again FrankSpecial Features:
- Fabulous special occasion dinnerJerserymomDined on 4/20/2014Everything was delicious from appetizers to salads, entrees and dessert. The service is friendly and the ambiance warm. It's a gem of a restaurant! Everyone in the family loved dining there.Special Features:
- update of upstairspapmdVIPDined on 4/12/2014Always have loved the feel of the downstairs, but now that they have updated the upstairs and opened large windows the place is fantastic. You can sit me up or down anytime!!!Special Features:
- Never DisappointedDEBODined on 3/29/2014There were 5 adults ranging an age from 24 to 90 (yes 90). The grilled octopus was excellent as well as the cheese in filo dough and the cucumber dip. Sorry I don't recall the Greek names. Two of us had halibut and it was excellent; my mother-in-law had lamb chops which were done to her liking, the scallops were grilled to perfection and I don't recall what the rest ate. But it was all very good. We shared three deserts including a lava cake, and all were delicious. We also had a bottle of Greek wine which was a good complement to the meal. I recommend Axia highly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not your usual Greek restaurantpremovieeatherVIPDined on 3/22/2014I was pleasantly surprised, i was expecting gyro, lamb etc, but instead was presented with a very sophisticated environment, nice wine list and cocktail specials, wonderful menu with many fresh fish selections. Jena our waitress was bright, cheery and accomodating. a wonderful restaurant for a special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a treat!HighXDined on 3/18/2014Fine food... excellent service.. and management that really gets the restaurant business - Tim makes sure everyone's experience is the best it can be.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Friends farewellReemaDined on 3/17/2014The food was awesome,the management took special request to make saffron orzo which is highly recommendable but we had to wait to long to be attended too ....Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- High hopes, slow service, ok foodfoodieATheartVIPDined on 3/16/2014Dad's 75th birthday At 12:15 for lunch. Big and soaring ceilings, spacious bar area on the first level. It was about 12:35 when we put in orders. grilled octopus and horatiki salad -octopus is not for the faint hearted. tentacles are left whole. The starving kids didn't get their dishes yet by this point. It was 1:25! Shortly after we complained the rest came out: Branzino- filleted table side, simple grilling and served w a lemon sauce. Chicken in lemon thyme gravy with fingerling potatoes. bit over salted. Colorado lamb chops. rather sadly plated and over salted again. Not worth the price $40 Seafood with orzo in clay pot. Brimming with seafood, topped w feta cheese, so-so. Dessert: get baklava skip the rest. We finished lunch at 3 pm!
- AwesomeMTCCVIPDined on 2/22/2014We had a wonderful dinner. Mussels and Kale/Butternut Squash appetizers were mouth-watering. The entrees (Monkfish and Black Sea bass special) were cooked to perfection. Along with a great bottle of Greek wine, we thoroughly enjoyed our entire meal. Axia is comparable to the best Greek restaurants in Manhattan without crossing the Hudson.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GO!!!!!!CAFOODDined on 1/31/2014Traditional Greek dishes as well as special renditions. Although the duck in my stifado was a little undercooked for my liking, it was delicious none the less. My hot date had the Greek style pork chops that were equally tasty. All portions were more than adequate but the overall cost was a bit pricey($150/3 people/no booze). We did however indulge in a couple appetizers (spicy lamb was yummy) and we sampled a couple deserts. Their version of Galaktobureko was a little dissapointing and keeps my YiaYia on the payroll but the Metaxa Apple Loukoumades dessert with was over the top good. Definitely will return. Staff was very friendly and attentive. We sat on the second floor. They have a bar on each floor. Romantic evening or group fun.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Neighborhood gemDeidz60VIPDined on 1/31/2014Great bar scene-- feels like NYC. Excellent seafood. Fantastic night out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not Your usual Greek Faretimeflies1Dined on 1/29/2014My date and I shared a small Greek salad to start. Not anything special but excellent Feta. I had the Pastichio & my friend had the grilled chicken. Chicken was moist and tasty. The Pastichio is made fresh in a individual casserole dish but removed for presentation. The bread was also very good & served with a wonderful olive oil. Don't know if it's usual but there was live Greek music softly being played which added to the ambiance was a nice touch. The portions are modest. The very front of the restaurant is enclosed by glass. I was originally seated there and asked to move close to the lovely gas log fireplace nearby to get out of the chill.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently goodGorgeousDined on 1/25/2014Have been coming here for many years and it's always good. Portions seem to be getting smaller but no place in else to go in town. Nice ambiance and they make a great martini. Make sure to ask price of special fish so you don't fall on the floor when the bill comes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food a bit priceyCrainmanusaDined on 1/18/2014My first time there on a Sat had reservations and sat right away. Greek menu with good choices. Tuna tartare was the appetizer special I give it a 6. Rest was good.I would recommend this to a friend.
- DeliciousGoodVIPDined on 1/18/2014Love the chicken sparti! Food and drinks deliciousSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very good food and serviceLe515Dined on 1/18/2014We had a wonderful evening . The food was delicious , Service was good but I did not like where we were sitted. We were in the front 0f restaurant which has no ambience and faces the Cars parked across the street. When you book a reservation..be sure to ask for the back room in the Main restaurant . Otherwise....very good!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We loved the ambience, withLindaDined on 1/17/2014We loved the ambience, with comfortable chairs! The food was extremely presentable and delicious, but also very salty. Next time I will have to remember to ask for no added salt! Service was outstanding.Special Features:
- VERY DISAPPOINTINGZoeyDined on 1/11/2014The table was not ready, so after standing by the hostess for 15 min she took us to a table upstairs where there was a very loud, large private party across the room. We complained and asked to be moved downstairs but was told again there was no table. We decided to stay. BAD DECISION -- when the waiter finally delivered our drinks, he dropped the entire tray of drinks onto the table and onto us. Glass broke and red wine, etc. spilled onto our clothes. My husband's sweater and trousers were stained with red wine and my son's clothes were completely soaked. The waiter barely said he was sorry. The manager/owner laughed and said to send him the cleaning bill. NO ONE APOLOGIZED! RUDE ATTITUDE - FOOD NOTHING SPECIAL!
- Great GreekMTCCVIPDined on 12/31/2013We celebrated New Year's Eve at Axia. We loved the tuna tatare and the kale and butternut squash pie appetizers. We both had the monkfish, and it was delicious. The wine list is very comprehensive, with lots of awesome Greek wines. Service is terrific. We enjoyed a wonderful evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingJoanneVIPDined on 12/30/2013Our party of five arrived on time for a 7 pm reservation. We promptly ordered two glasses of wine, appetizers and entrees. The entrees were served to us just before 9 pm. The wait was endless for food, a glass of wine, etc., and when the entrees arrived three out of the five were overcooked. We will not return and I would not recommend this restaurant.
- Perfect Date NightWannabeGreekDined on 11/20/2013We had the grilled octopus, which was nothing spectacular. Not bad, just grilled octopus. She had the Colorado Lamb Loin Chops with broccoli rabe. Wow. Best lamb that either of us have ever had. I had he pan fried monkfish with lobster risotto, again a winner. Her lamb was medium, and so soft. The knife was needed to cut through the outer layer, but after that it was butter soft. My monkfish was just right, with the right amount of seasoning. The lobster risotto alone is worth coming back for. Really. For dessert she had the fig ice cream in shredded phyllo, and I had the poached pear in wine with lemon sorbet. Perfect ending.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- KItchen kudos, shaky service SundayOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 11/17/2013Terrific meal -- quality, imagination, presentation (app, salad, entree). Continues to uphold its reputation as a fine choice for an upscale place in the middle of Tenafly. Nice job by the chef in subbing out snapper-for-monkfish when they ran out of the latter. However, service on this particular Sunday night left much to be desired. Clearly a skeleton staff on a slow night. Criticism is not for lack of trying, but for lack of experience and communication skill. Very nice, but confused, confusing, and far from polished (not really befitting this place). LIke pulling teeth to get info on drinks (forgot the drinks menu), beers (no clue), menu items (confused and inaccurate). That said, go for a great meal! On a Fri or Sat, I guess.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.