Axel's Bonfire - St. Paul
850 Grand Ave
St. Paul, MN 55105Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Axel's Bonfire - St. Paul
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.axelsbonfire.com/
- Phone: 6513121299
- Hours of Operation:
Sunday Bruch: 10:30am - 3:00pm; Lunch: Everyday: 11:00am - 3:00pm; Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 3:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 3:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Southwest, American
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Two rooms available for large parties, Porch Room seats 50 guests comfortably, Red Room seats 35. Please call or email to make reservation.
- Private Party Contact: Robert Haider 6513121299
A word from Axel's Bonfire - St. Paul
Axel’s Bonfire, commonly known as Bonfire, features real wood-fired cooking giving the food its rich and distinctive grilled flavor. The relaxed, inviting atmosphere is a perfect backdrop for festive, flavorful American cuisine with a unique Southwest flair. Focusing on quality and freshness, Bonfire prefers to purchase ingredients locally and all food is Trans- fat free and prepared from scratch, including sauces and dressings. The family-friendly restaurant’s signature items include wood-fired pizza, spit-roasted meat, sizzling fajitas, salads, pastas and make-your-own pizzas for kids.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Axel's Bonfire - St. Paul reviews from OpenTable diners
- Salad wad not as good thisOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 12/8/2012Salad wad not as good this time.. But service was great and friendlySpecial Features:
- My wife and I went there aroundOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 12/8/2012My wife and I went there around 5pm on a Saturday for our anniversary and we were served very quickly, almost too quickly. We ordered a salad, bull bites and two entrees and before we were done with the salad and bull bites, our entrees came and we were forced to get rid of the rest of the salad and had to hurry up and finish the bull bites to make room on the table for our entrees. I would have to say that although I would prefer this over slow service in general, it was quite distasteful, but it did help us to make it to our play on time. Getting there before the rush is the best idea as finding parking is quite hard and service is better if you want to make your after dinner appointment.Special Features:
- Great food, but service wasBirthdayGirlDined on 12/3/2012Great food, but service was bad tonight. Not typical for Bonfire, but not a good experience.Special Features:
- Great walleyeOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 11/30/2012The menu claims that they sell the most walleye in the State. I believe it, it is extremely moist and tender and flavorful, I recommend it highly! The green beans served with them are excellent, and the bacon mashed is great. Open very late is a plus. On our last visit, the service was terrible though, waiter disappearing, didn't check in to see if everything was satisfactory, waited an excessive period to drop off bill, and waited an extremely long time (20 minutes) to pick up the credit card. It was reflected in the gratuity but will mention it to manager next time if necessary. The "Bull Bites" appetizer is pretty good, but I despise rosemary. Anyone who likes rosemary would like it a lot, very tender and flavorful.Special Features:
- Our server was excellent.OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/30/2012Our server was excellent. The ambiace and decor were great. The food was mediocre.Special Features:
- The food was great, the waitressOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/30/2012The food was great, the waitress was very personable as well as the person that served us dinner. There was a miscommunication with our drinks and we ended up getting a free drink out of it. The restaurant exceeded my expectations! Thank you!Special Features:
- Disappointed overall. PizzaMillersDined on 11/18/2012Disappointed overall. Pizza Bianca was very dry and tasteless.One party ordered a steak medium rare and it came well done. We will definitely not return
- Great food, and comfortableOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/17/2012Great food, and comfortable accommodations. The service was great and timely even though the place was quite busy.
- The service was terrific.OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/10/2012The service was terrific. Delicious food. Atmosphere wonderful.Special Features:
- Just on ParOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/9/2012I've been to the Axle's in Plymouth before, although never the Grand Ave location. This place has a really great layout, plenty of room, lots of food to choose from. Other than dealing with the annoying fat lady that would stop her horse laugh, I truly enjoyed the Mussels, pizza, and huge list of drinks. One other thing to consider is the rail drinks seem to be really watered down. Stick with the beer/wine!Special Features:
- Our food was not that greatOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/4/2012Our food was not that great but the drinks were fine.
- Although we had reservationsOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 11/3/2012Although we had reservations we had to wait. When I went to ask if we could be seated as the hostess sat several people ahead of us that where walk ins she directed us to the bar. I said we had dinner reservations and didn't want to sit at the bar but at a table. She then sat us in the dining room. The service was ok but the food was below average. Our 9.00 sweet potato fries where sparse and cold.Special Features:
- Poor ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 11/3/2012We had a reservation for 5:45 and ordered around 6:00-6:15. By 7:15 we still didn't have our food. The table next to us had sat down AFTER we ordered, and was paying their tab before we got our food. We told the server this was unacceptable, who then blamed it on the kitchen. She sent the manager who was very kind and ended up comping our whole meal. When the food came out, one of the dishes was cold, so clearly the server let our food sit there. I normally don't complain about restaurants, but having served for years, I recognize when something is the server's fault. Had she just owned up to it and offered to do something for us from the get-go, we would've been a lot happier. Clearly mistakes happen- she should have handled it better.
- Two groups of women from WinnipegOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/3/2012Two groups of women from Winnipeg met at Axel's before heading to the Madonna concert. I had been to Axcel's before and new it would be a great meeting place and it was a hit with the others.Special Features:
- I liked the very diverse menu.OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/1/2012I liked the very diverse menu. Everyone in our group enjoyed the food that they ordered.It was a good menu for a wide variety of people in our group. We were sat in more of the bar area, which isn't bad but it makes it harder to hear the people we were with. I would definitely go back to this restaurant again.Special Features:
- We came over after a ConfirmationOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/28/2012We came over after a Confirmation Celebration at the Cathedral. We had a group of 13 and seating was great. It happen to be happy hour, so prices were also good. Service was very polite and helpful.Special Features:
- Perfect Date locationOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/27/2012This was my 1st Dinner date with the woman whom I hope to make my wife someday. Cannot wait to have a chance to return again.Special Features:
- A good choice.tweetVIPDined on 10/23/2012Quiet enough for business discussion. Good food and attentive servers.Special Features:
- 45 min wait on our food ,OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 10/20/201245 min wait on our food , was told 3 times it was coming out soon and would be right up. the waitress was fine and did her job well, but the kitchen was way way behind.Special Features:
- Overall, I would not recommendOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 10/19/2012Overall, I would not recommend this place for dinner - perhaps for happy hour, though, since the appetizers were 1/2 price. Menus were in very small font and hard to read when the lights went down. Granted, we went on a Friday, but it WAS 5 p.m. and not exceptionally crowded. We were promptly seated, but waited way too long for our food to come to our table of 8, and one was the wrong order (they did give me a free glass of wine and rushed to get the right order, to their credit). The high ceilings made the whole place way too noisy and it was hard to carry on a conversation. Our waiter did manager to get our bill correct, dividing one guest's meal among the others, as we requested. The food was nothing to write home about.
- the service was great. weOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/17/2012the service was great. we had a larg party and everthing was very nice.Special Features:
- We have eaten at the AxelsHappyNMplsDined on 10/12/2012We have eaten at the Axels in Mendota and the food was great. I was hoping for the same experience at the Axels on Grand and we were a bit disappointed. The chicken pizza had very good flavor initially but quickly became cold and lost its flavor. The dinner salad was great. My husband said that he has had better prime rib but really had no complaints. We were seated by the front window in the bar area, which was noisy but we didn't mind since we were with friends. There was a nice mix of ages in the crowd. Parking was a challenge on a Friday evening. Our server was terrific. The decor felt a bit like we should be in Texas instead of Minnesota.Special Features:
- Our favorite restaurant onOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/12/2012Our favorite restaurant on Grand Avenue in St. Paul near lots of colleges. Great food all around. The walleye tacos and kabobs are outstanding.Special Features:
- Unenthused waitress dissed foodOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/8/2012There's usually no better source for menu highlights than the wait staff. They should be enthusiastic and know the menu, which they have tasted. We had drinks and appetizers pushed very hard. But when it came time to order entrees, here's what our waitress said: Q: "What kind of fish is walleye" (from an out of town guest) A: "It's walleye. You know -- walleye". Q: "How's the rotisserie chicken?" A: "I think it's really bland and underseasoned. But it's moist." Q: "How's the French dip sandwich? I've never had that here.". "I don't like prime rib. It's fatty". REALLY? Proof of the power a wait person has to color an experience with what is usually an excellent, delicious experience.
- It was a very busy night.OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/6/2012It was a very busy night. Thanks to our Open Table reservation we were seated right away. Our waiter was knowledgeable about the menu and was attentive. We'll be back.Special Features:
- Our visit was good overall,OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/6/2012Our visit was good overall, however, our bill was really confusing as we were a group of 9. Had he simply given each of us an individual reciept there would have been far less confusion. When the wrong people get charged too much or too little and then others dont get change back when paying in cash it gets very frustrating.Special Features:
- Only had a few issues withOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/6/2012Only had a few issues with Axel's Bonfire. First, it took way too long to get our food. Second, I ordered my meat medium rare, more on the rare side and it came almost well done.
- Good quality and moderateOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/26/2012Good quality and moderate prices! Flavorful and tasty!Special Features:
- It was great, I loved theOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/26/2012It was great, I loved the room they sat our party in, it was private and we could hear all the conversations and everything was perfect!! Thank You,Special Features:
- AwesomeOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/23/2012I took my wife out for her Birthday. Axel's was a great choice.Special Features:
- Great WalleyeOpenTable Diner Since 2002VIPDined on 9/22/2012The walleye pike was marked as one of their speciality, it was! The deserts are huge, so be prepared to share or take home.Special Features:
- Food was very good and a goodOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/22/2012Food was very good and a good price. Service was also excellent, friendly and professional. But it's very noisy and almost impossible for conversation. But for energy and warmth, it fits the bill.
- Nice place to go for happyOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/15/2012Nice place to go for happy hours and informal dinners. Menu has a variety of options - pizzas are appetizing and the more expensive dinners are delicious.
- we LOVE this place....andOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 9/8/2012we LOVE this place....and tonight's service and food made it our top-spot to go. Our server, Gyles, was EXCELLENT - he greeted us promptly, was knowledgeable about the liquor/food menu, and never left us waiting for anything. We ordered the Bull Bites, Fajitas, and Chimchunga, and all dishes were phenomenal. The consistently awesome menu paired with a great wait-staff, AND the bonus of the Axel's rewards program makes this an ideal place to visit. I would highly recommend Bonfire, and I plan to come back in the very near future!!Special Features:
- Our server was attentive andluv2dineVIPDined on 9/3/2012Our server was attentive and personable. He was good on giving soft drink refills. Our food arrived timely and was very fresh and tasty.Special Features:
- My family and I came in toOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/30/2012My family and I came in to have a meeting and I had originally asked for a quiet place. When we arrived our table was in the middle of the restaurant and it was pretty noise. I asked the host if we could be seated in the private dining area and the quickly responded and made it possible for us to more. It was the perfect place for our meeting and the wait staff were very attentive to our needs even though we were there for quite a while.Special Features:
- We were seated promptly, ourElanDined on 8/29/2012We were seated promptly, our waiter was attentive, friendly and could answer all our questions. We all enjoyed our food and drinks. A great evening, for sure!Special Features:
- Servers were quick to makeOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 8/18/2012Servers were quick to make sure my group were able to order drinks as they arrived. Food orders were delivered quickly.Special Features:
- Food was excellent and theAllanDined on 8/14/2012Food was excellent and the service was the best part! Jenna was amazing, talented and made the experience memorable! Ask for her section! I definitely will!Special Features:
- Axels is very reliable butDangerskeeperVIPDined on 8/5/2012Axels is very reliable but the waitress we had on Sunday was horrible. Nothing like going to a "fun" brunch and having wait-staff who acts like you're imposing on their world. I have been there enough times before that I will try to pretend it was a bad day for her and for Axels.