New York, NY 10025Neighborhood:
Upper West Side
IndianPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://awadhnyc.com/
- Phone: 6468613241
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 12:00pm - 3:00pm
Brunch:Lunch: Saturday - Sunday: 12:00pm - 3:00pm
Dinner: Monday - Sunday: 5:00pm - 10:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Indian
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Delivery, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
A word from Awadh
Awadh, once a princely state, is among the most ancient of Hindu regions. The enchanting history of this land of the Nawabs, kings known for their refined and extravagant lifestyles, is recognized through the richness of its cuisine. Here at Awadh, we bring you these bold flavors that balance elements of spice, intensity and acidity. Awadh is Gaurav Anand’s latest endeavor, following Bhatti Indian Grill (Murray Hill) and Moti Mahal Delux (Upper East Side). With Awadh, we present a culmination of culinary finesse of the finest food from India’s sacred and historic land. We hope to create experiences and memories through flavors as you explore meats, vegetables, seafood, kebabs, curries and breads that will leave a lasting impression on your palate.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerIndian
Awadh reviews from OpenTable diners
81 reviews since May 23, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (68)fit for foodies (45)special occasion (21)good for groups (17)romantic (17)notable wine list (9)hot spot (8)great for brunch (8)great for lunch (6)late-night find (3)kid-friendly (3)vibrant bar scene (2)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- Indian at its bestOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/13/2014I have tasted Indian food in London, Prague, and Montreal. Having said that I suggested you go to Awadh on Manhattan's UpperWest Side. We are going back next weekend mainly to have the stuffed mushrooms appetizer. I am a vegetarian and my dinner partner has a gluten allergy. There was more than enough on the menu for both of us as well as the typical dinner. The dishes have a variety of subtle and spicy flavors tuned each particular dinner's tastes. You will enjoy it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- several cuts abovepoppiesVIPDined on 9/11/2014Best Indian food I've had in a long time. Not your run of the mill. Unusual dishes. . By far the best on the upper west side.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent new comerUpperWestSiderVIPDined on 9/6/2014Outstanding food and unusual dishes from Uttar Pradesh. The service was distracted, but I suspect that this will iron out in the next month. Cooked with great care. Quite a change from the usual Indian restaurant. A gem.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- nice new restaurantlesalviDined on 9/5/2014The food was pretty good and it was much nicer than your typical indian restaurant. The only problem I had was when I ordered a bottle of white wine and it was not opened in front of me at my table. I sent it back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- As interesting as it is delicioussaddeclineVIPDined on 8/19/2014They are the best thing that has happened to food on the UpperWestSide.Special Features:
- MEHELJEFEVIPDined on 8/15/2014Very salty. Better options I the neighborhood. upscale but food doesn't match it.
- Indian food with a differencetimbrel2VIPDined on 8/12/2014Menu very interesting and the food is rewarding. A cuisine I haven't experienced before so nice to have in neighborhoodSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Salty biriyanis but superb scallopsh11tsrDined on 8/9/2014After eating two stunning starters in the scallops and awadh chicken tikka - full of flavour and beautifully cooked - our appetites were whetted and we were looking forward to our main courses of biriyani. These arrived nicely presented with an authentic leaven bread seal which the waiter broke open for us. Unfortunately the contents weren't that great. The biriyanis were well cooked but both excessively salty to the point that we could not eat them. The chef did offer to remake them but at this point our appetites were spoilt. Having not eaten any of the curries on offer, we cannot comment on the quality of the rest of the menu but would revisit when next in NYC. In fairness we were given a cognac each on the house as a way of apology.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2000VIPDined on 8/9/2014We just tried Awadh and thought it was spectacular! the decor, the service, the presentation, all magnificent. But the food was beyond great. We will definitely go back often!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The best Indian foodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/8/2014This the best Indian food I have had . Head over shoulders of the foodin India.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great indian cuisine on UWSUWSerVIPDined on 8/7/2014Our meal was a delight for the senses. Awadh offers a delightfully rich and expressive cuisine that is a far cry from steam-table Indian food. Every dish was a unique combination of spices and tastes, starting with a complementary amuse bouche. The galouti kebab and crispy okra appetizers were amazing; the roasted whole baby eggplant is not to be missed; the lamb chops were cooked perfectly. The service is gracious and the staff is very professional and made us comfortable and welcome Vegetarians as well as omnivores will find much to please their palates. We look forward to returning soon.Special Features:
- Fine food, poor serviceKatrielVIPDined on 8/5/2014Fourth visit. Food is consistently good (not your run of the mill Indian); service consistently poor. Half an hour until someone took our order (I timed it), and even then, I had to ask. Ditto getting the check. Always some confusion about what was ordered. Portion size varies considerably from one visit to the next. Hard to understand why a restaurant w/such high quality, inventive dishes has such an unprofessional staff, top to bottom. (I don't drink, but briefly sat at the bar while waiting, and the bartender was terrific--warm, welcoming, a total pro.)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great indian foodMarkoVIPDined on 8/1/2014Ate here twice now, the food is excellent and the service was attentive.I would recommend this to a friend.
- New USW terrific Indian foodOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/31/2014Based on a few reviews that were all positive we decided to try this new addition to the neighborhood and found we agreed with the prior reviews. The food was excellent, wide variety and very tasty. Service was excellent and the atmosphere was really very nice. Our only complaint was the noise level which was very high and we had to shout to have a conversation. The walls are brick and wood and there is nothing to buffer the noise. This would become a neighborhood favorite if it wasn't for that. I am not sure we will give it another try.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beyond greatMessierDined on 7/30/2014The food was amazing. A blur of magnificence from start to finish. Even the modest bottle of Malbec was the best I've ever had.Special Features:
- Foodie HeavenmrlcowboyVIPDined on 7/29/2014Wow! Dined with my 2 sons and son-in-law on 7/29. Shared 6 appetizers and 3 entrees. Every dish was top notch. This is not your typical neighborhood Indian restaurant. Grilled sweet potato and pineapple, scallops to die for, cauliflower that will change your opinion of this vegetable, delicious lamb, goat, chicken, and shrimp and friendly service to match make this a gem on the UWS. Fine dining at reasonable prices makes this one of the best Indian restaurants in the city.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExceptionalIndianfoodieDined on 7/28/2014There is no finer Indian restaurant in the Upper Westside than Awadh. Their "Dum Puhkt" dishes, dishes slow-cooked in a low-heat oven, are particularly exceptional. The biriyanis are among the best I've ever had anywhere in any price range, and here, the prices are quite reasonable. I had a generous meal and a cocktail for about $42. The place is now routinely packed. Make reservations!Special Features:
- Excellent foodOftenGoodDined on 7/27/2014The staff is very competent and friendly. The prices are reasonable. The samosas were the best I ever had. The surroundings are good to look at and good to dine in.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Addition to the NeighborhoodAnArdentFanVIPDined on 7/24/2014This is delicious Indian cuisine with an innovative twist. The staff welcomes you as if you were a family member and attends to your every wish. In the short time since its debut on the upper westside, it's become a favorite.Special Features:
- Delicious neighborhood gemOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/20/2014Wow! Unbelievably wonderful. And in the hood! A real find!Special Features:
- New gem!SGM79VIPDined on 7/18/2014First of all, you will sit in the most comfortable restaurant chairs you have ever sat in in your life! The service is amazing and the staff is very friendly. The samosas were impeccable with a hot of heat, the paratha was perfectly grilled and delicious. The marinated shrimp appetizer was the highlight. Do not miss this dish! The cauliflower side was so tasty with the cool yogurt. This place is unlike any other Indian restaurant I've tried. This is definitely a new fave in the neighborhood.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- welcome addition to the UWSevrgreen1VIPDined on 7/16/2014Great upscale Indian food. Lovely, intimate ambiance. Try the chicken tikkah appetizer--luscious, most, saucy chicken--really fab. Also the shrimp and the lemon rice. And don't forget the chickpeas.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 7/15/2014We arrived to find the restaurant closed with no explanation. Why didn't I get a phone call or something, anything!Special Features:
- Not your average Indian restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 7/12/2014The food is refined and well executed. The flavors are complex and the spicing is really nice: intense but not too hot. The menu is slightly different from most Indian restaurants and offers preparations that surprise. The dal is extraordinary. It is an attractive restaurant with great service. It's a welcome addition to our neighborhood or to any.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2003Dined on 7/9/2014Awadh was outstanding, hands down the best Indian food we've had in New York (brilliant spicing), with the most charming, attentive staff imaginable. We would travel to Awadh, can't believe we finally have an excellent restaurant right in the neighborhood!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- So disappointedSchwankyVIPDined on 7/9/2014It looks really nice and staff was quite friendly, but the food was nothing special or particularly good. Spinach and lentil patties looked like cowpies. But they just tasted ok. Paneer palek looked and tasted an awful lot like the patties, but in a crock. Lamb biryani and aloo gobhi matar ok. Not great, not very flavorful. Like anyone could make at home. And the wines? I remember reading about them having this great wine list assembled by some great wine guy. Um, there were four white wines by the bottle (don't know about red) written on a scrap of paper recited by the waiter. Reisling, chardonnay, Macon Village, and cassis. Cassis? No years, vintners, nothing. If there are special teas we weren't offered any.
- Great New Indian RestaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 7/7/2014interesting well prepared indian food, a real find for the upper west side suffering from cliche indian foodSpecial Features:
- new Indian restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/7/2014Had a very enjoyable meal at Awadh. Different menu as did not recognize most of the dishes. Were given a fried okra and dessert gratis. Very nice and food was delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unique Indian FoodCynthiaDined on 7/5/2014We were in for a wonderful treat when we ate at Awadh the other evening. This new restaurant is really working very hard to get it right and please patrons. The food is from the Lucknow area of India so certainly different from the other offerings on the Upper Westside. We loved the spicing and will definitely return and bring friends.Special Features:
- "Emotional Experience..."ChrisVIPDined on 7/3/2014The food was the star - savory, sophisticated, fresh and most of all delicious. I overheard a neighboring table complimenting the chef for his stand-out cooking, she describe the food as "so delicious, it's for me an emotional experience". I could not agree more.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not run of the millKatrielVIPDined on 7/1/2014I've been to India several times & have been eating Indian food for 45 years, so have more than a passing familiarity with the range of regional cuisines--from high-end fare to taxi stands. And now. Finally. A stand-out Indian restaurant on the upper west side. Their house special sea bass was succulent and carefully spiced; the lemon rice returned me to travels in north India. The lassi actually contained rose water. The entire staff was gracious and welcoming. I've just made a reservation for a party of five for next week.Special Features:
- Delicious Indian food!Luv2eatDined on 6/29/2014We decided to try awadh because we are already big fans of motti and given that we live on the UWS, this was even better. Great ambiance, food was delicious, and staff was very attentive. Brought my cousin in who tried indian food for the first time and he is now also a big fan. Nice ambiance. Good for small groups since you can order small plates and share.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great addition to the UWSUWSfoodieVIPDined on 6/29/2014Two of us ordered too much, but we took it all home and have been enjoying the leftovers. The food was extraordinary. I never write these reviews, but this is a special place and deserves the rave.Special Features:
- Star of IndiaBrunoNYCVIPDined on 6/29/2014Finally an upscale yet affordable Indian restaurant on the Upper West Side. Food is delicious and the hospitality is very inviting and caring.Special Features:
- What an incredible expereince!NYCFoodieVIPDined on 6/29/2014Newly opened and WOW! Dinner with a bunch of people so we got to try a variety (mostly the "Awadh" specialitites since we are all Indian and can get the other stuff elsewhere). Started with the dalcha palak kebab, the Galouti, the lamb chops and the fried okra. The galouti alone is worth a trip there. Next the entrees- the Nihari, the Daal, Butter Chicken, Mahi Musullam and Biryani. All succulent, flavorful and absolutely delicious. They do a good thing here of having "sides" so you can order a bunch of sides that are half portions and complement the meats wonderfully. A notable wine list and some interesting cocktails (Indian Summer was a hit with its mango and green chillies). Gaurav Anand knows his stuff! Will return...Special Features:
- Now My World Favorite Indian DiningfoodB4lifeVIPDined on 6/28/2014The owners and chef of the excellent Moti Mahal have kicked it up many notches with this aspiring, innovative new offering. This takes the conventional to the exceptional. The sauces are exquisite, and innovation is perfectly calibrated (try the Yellow Dal with mango!). The executive chef is reaching for the (Michelin) stars!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExtrodinaryUWSDinerVIPDined on 6/28/2014We love to try new restaurants around the city and are especially excited when something noteworthy pops up in our neighborhood. Awadh was outstanding! Wonderful food, beautiful atmosphere. The service is a bit novice, but its endearing and the entire experience feels very authentic.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A fresh and new approachOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 6/27/2014A different style of Indian cooking. Delicious and a nice change. Many small grilled appetizers. Excellent shrimp, a very good simmered broccoli dish.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Upscale Indian fare:worth a visitMAVENVIPDined on 6/21/2014There is not a deficit of Indian restaurants on the upper west side. However,this newly opened restaurant on the prior location of Alouette, is a welcome addition. The space is attractively designed and despite close quarters, one does not feel cramped. The food was well prepared, appropriately seasoned and delicious. Service was attentive. It is moderately expensive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- dianemdVIPDined on 6/20/2014This was some of the best Indian food I have had in New York. Very interesting menu--not the usual curries and samosas one finds at most other Indian places, but truly delicious combinations of spices and ingredients prepared in unusual ways. The naan was ethereal. And the service couldn't have been more attentive and pleasant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.