141 East 48th Street
New York, NY 10017Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: $50 and over
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.avrany.com/
- Phone: 2127598550
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Saturday and Sunday 11:00am - 4:00pm, Lunch: Monday - Friday 12:00pm - 5:00pm, Dinner: Monday - Saturday 5:00pm - 12:00am, Sunday dinner: 5:00 pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Mediterranean, Greek
- Executive Chef: George Georgiadis
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Delivery, Entertainment, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Area, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Smoking Area, Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Entertainment: We offer live jazz every Sunday at Brunch.
A word from Avra Estiatorio
Avra Estiatorio is a restaurant that transports you to the Greece of your imagination. The sky is vivid blue and the air is drenched with sunlight and the aroma of freshly caught fish grilling over an open fire.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerSeafood
Avra Estiatorio - Best Restaurants in Midtown East ›
Avra Estiatorio reviews from OpenTable diners
299 reviews since June 27, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelEnergetic
fit for foodies (146)great for outdoor dining (127)neighborhood gem (106)good for groups (96)special occasion (82)great for lunch (71)romantic (61)hot spot (57)notable wine list (54)vibrant bar scene (30)great for brunch (23)late-night find (16)kid-friendly (13)scenic view (6)Show More
- Great Greek Food!!OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 10/21/2014Outstanding Greek Food, especially Fish and Seafood!!! Love this restaurant!!Special Features:
- always consistently goodOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 10/21/2014Avra does Greek right. Always great, perfectly cooked grilled fish, knowledgeable waiters and nice atmosphere. I've eaten there at least three dozen times and never been disappointed yet.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome every timegfdfchickVIPDined on 10/17/2014It's a "must stop" spot for us every time we come to NYC. And it's awesome every time!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodiNimhDined on 10/17/2014I have eaten here several times when visiting New York.The food is always excellent and service superior. Highly recommendedSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not As Greek As HopedDine4PleasureDined on 10/16/2014Went here because advertised as a Greek restaurant. While I glanced at the menu online and so Greek names I failed to look deeper into the menu. Was disappointed with how little actual Greek food there was for the main course. They sell their fish by the pound, so be careful if price is a concern. The food was very good for what we compromised with which was more Mediterranean then Greek specific. Noise level was okay until they sat another couple a the table next to us with little space between. I felt like I was on their date and could not speak with mine over their loud conversation and the background noise of parties in our section. Good for special occasion or for those who don't mind spending on dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Too noisy!LovetoEatWellDined on 10/15/2014Avra has delicious food. The restaurant is quite pretty. However, the welcome is less than welcoming. The girls at the front desk look right through you. The crowd is so noisy - we spent most of our dinner listening to people yelling across their table about bond trading. The waiter needed to be probed to give us some menu advice. More people skills and fewer people eating at the restaurant would make a world of difference. We were in the front of the restaurant... I can't imagine what the noise must be like in the rear. Too hip for me.Special Features:
- Great Place!babs1020Dined on 10/12/2014Avra was recommended by a friend and wow what a great place! The fish was the freshest I've ever eaten and the hummus they serve on the tables is the best I've ever had as well. Service was great too. I can't wait to return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Simply OutstandingBoca54Dined on 10/11/2014Upon entering you are swept away with the ambiance as it is like one big party. The more people you are with the more fun. Appetizers were great, Calamari and a trio of dips with pita. Greek salad always yum. Everyone's dinner choices were delivered together and cooked perfect. Soft shell crabs, King prawns, whole fish, and grilled shrimp were all delish! most authentic dessert cookies to Top it all off! Most memorable as I went with 5 first timers.Special Features:
- Yum!reservationqueenDined on 10/11/2014Tough to decide on what appetizers to choose from. There are so many great delicious options. My grilled dorado was just ok, very we'll done and though filleted had many bones. Quite expensive for a few mouthful of edible fish. Desert and Greek coffee was delicious. Will definitely return but will just so shrinks, appetizers an desserts.Special Features:
- Mediterranean delightBHnycDined on 10/9/2014Excellent ambience and even better food. Dinner can be quite active and somewhat noisy. Excellent choice for business lunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great visitfredariaDined on 10/8/2014Good food, good ambiance, great service. Avra will be a regular stop on our visits.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great!KeyGuyDined on 10/8/2014Avra has one of the best seafood and fish menus in Manhattan. Always outstanding!Special Features:
- Midtown MeditereaneanwineguyVIPDined on 10/7/2014While the restaurant is filled with conversation and clanking plates, the chef served up serve real courses of healthy, tasty, vegetables, meats, and seafood.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always GreatnomdecenaVIPDined on 10/7/2014Went for business dinner and had great time. Fried calamari appetizer was excellent, as was grilled shrimp and fish. Interesting and reasonable (for NYC) wine list. Service was polite and prompt.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Truly a lovely restaurant! A++BusinessTravlrVIPDined on 10/7/2014Made plans with an old friend to grab dinner and drinks prior to her catching a train at Grand Central. Impressed by the wonderful reviews and convenience to GCS, we decided to try Avra. It was fabulous. It's a beautiful space through and through. The zucchini chips and Portugese sardines were fun appetizers to share. We split a whole fish and a bottle of Albariño. Everything was timed well, the restaurant is beautiful, and I will certainly try to visit again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It was ok...OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 10/6/2014Nothing too good or bad about the experience, just ok. I definitely think Estiatorio Milos is SO much better.Special Features:
- Food was great but noise level highOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/6/2014The Jack hammering from a construction project next to where we were sitting in the back room was especially annoying. Food and service were great. The decor is lovely.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of the bestOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 10/5/2014My favorite restaurant in NYC! Food is always fresh and flavorful. The service and ambiance are top notch! Extensive menu including many fresh fish options. Can't go wrong at Avra!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AwesomegreatniteoutDined on 10/4/2014The atmosphere is serene but not dull; the service is impeccable and the food excellent from the appetizers to dessertsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Solid lunch spot in Midtown East`thompso2VIPDined on 10/3/2014I had lunch here with a friend. My lobster ravioli really hit the spot, and her Greek salad with grilled chicken was quite tasty. Service was attentive but not annoyingly so. A very nice place -- I'll be back!Special Features:
- Good food but noisy for meetingsLutetraDined on 10/1/2014Definitely a goos spot to entertain clients but bear in mind any conversation can be challenge due to the noise at lunch time.Special Features:
- Always AmazingfoodEVIPDined on 9/30/2014Avra is always amazing; the food is delicious. We had a great waiter, and they have so much space, it is the perfect place to go when you don't want to be rushed out. They treat their customers like kings. I have never had a bad meal or experience there.Special Features:
- number onebeastDined on 9/29/2014you would have difficulty finding a nyc restaurant that combines food quality and variety-meat, veggies, fish (including healthy choices), great location and atmosphere and feel; choice of inside or outside, friendly and competent staff; and all for reasonable pricing; whether small or big group, business or social; family or romantic, Avra is the choice; Stelios manages an atmosphere that requires repeat visitsSpecial Features:
- best greekSuzanneDined on 9/27/2014Don't let "by the pound"scare you off. Easy to share and they will plate it for you. Food was deliciousSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A repeat for sureRFesDined on 9/26/2014This was my first time dining here and it definitely will not be my last. From the decor to the food this place gets an A+. For appetizer the Lima beans are a must have and for main dish I had the halibut, perfection and all at a great price. Do not miss this place, it's worth the midtown traffic.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, very New YorknyfoodieDined on 9/26/2014Avra could only be located in NYC, it has an atmosphere that is clubby while still welcoming, and the food is terrific. I have never had a bad meal here, and while it's expensive it is not out of control expensive. One of the best for a midtown seafood dinner without totally breaking the bank. It's a little loud and the tables are close, but that may be part of the charm.Special Features:
- A MUST!!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/24/2014Fabulous food!! Freshest fish!! Friendly staff and fantastic atmosphere!!!Special Features:
- Amazing Greek Midtown!Lb366VIPDined on 9/24/2014You feel as though you have stepped into Greece! The food is so fresh and excellently prepared.Special Features:
- marjorieDined on 9/24/2014We dined outside and it was a beautiful day - service was excellent. Salads were very good - most enjoyable, we look forward to visiting again soon. I would definitely recommend to friends ( actually already have ).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great selection of fresh fishRichard45VIPDined on 9/22/2014The food is all good, but their specialty is their selection of fresh fish and they don't disappoint. The noise level is higher than I would ordinarily prefer, but worth putting up with.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fish lovers delightRiffDined on 9/21/2014Great fish selection. Well prepared. Sides delicious. Service not up to par. Would definitely go back. Waiter not attentive.Special Features:
- Not overly impressedOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/20/2014Kitchen not flexible with changes, crab cakes and main entree seafood orzo both had to be sent back to kitchen bc not hot. Bathroom a disaster. Informed management of bathroom and it took close to 10 mins for someone to come to restroom to dispose of full trash bin, get paper off floor, dry wet area around toilet and replace hand towels. Not worth the cost.
- ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 9/18/2014Food service and everything else was awesome! The only thing I was. It happy with were the desserts. They seemed a bit over done and dry.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent but keep it lower!SimpleDined on 9/18/2014Biggest drawback is noise level at night. The food and service are excellent and the ambiance is very comfortable. Just the noise level is high . I haven't been there for lunch but on a Thursday evening pre theater dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LOVE ITNannyof2Dined on 9/16/2014This is one of my favorite restaurants in NYC fresh fish great salads great cocktails yummy deserts A must for anyone in the neighborhoodSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service and portionsLilNYDined on 9/13/2014We went on a Staurday night and it was a mistake. The noise level was very high and the service was terrible. The waiter took our order, they bought us our food in which the portions were "TINY" and did not come back to ask us if we need anything or how was our meal! One of my guests actually asked the manager for more pasta that came with the lobster. At $54 a portions and pasta being soo inexpensive you should give a portion that is more than 4 forkfuls! I like the food, it is fresh and good but I will reconsider going back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointed from the startProspect317Dined on 9/13/2014Arrived on time and spaces in the lovely front room were available, but I (female) and female friend were quickly seated in an empty windowless back room that retains heat from the nearby broiler. We were groomed and properly dressed. When we asked to be reseated, the waiter argued a little with us, (denying it was hot) rather than immediately calling the maitre'd, but finally relented. We really had to insist. Next table was ok, but nothing special--a middle table in a row of 2 tops. Food was good and new waiter somewhat attentive, but this early in the evening experience left a bad taste in the mouth. Wish we had gone to one of the other great midtown restaurants nearby. Won't go again.
- Freshest fish in towninwoodartDined on 9/12/2014We have eaten here a number of times and have always loved our experience. The fish is extremely fresh, the appetizers are also a treat, and I love their walnut cake. We'll keep coming back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Rushed environmentLeylalovesparisDined on 9/11/2014The service from our server was excellent. However the maître d and hostess made me feel rushed and even with a reservation there was a considerable wait. Very chaotic. The appetizers were disappointing but the prix fix is a good deal.. Good of you're in the nabe but I wouldn't go out of my way to go there.Special Features:
- Good Food Great Service`ArnoldVIPDined on 9/10/2014This restaurant offers great food beautifully prepared and presented. The service is excellentSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.