141 East 48th Street
New York, NY 10017Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: $50 and over
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.avrany.com/
- Phone: 2127598550
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Saturday and Sunday 11:00am - 4:00pm, Lunch: Monday - Friday 12:00pm - 5:00pm, Dinner: Monday - Saturday 5:00pm - 12:00am, Sunday dinner: 5:00 pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Mediterranean, Greek
- Executive Chef: George Georgiadis
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Delivery, Entertainment, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Area, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Smoking Area, Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Entertainment: We offer live jazz every Sunday at Brunch.
A word from Avra Estiatorio
Avra Estiatorio is a restaurant that transports you to the Greece of your imagination. The sky is vivid blue and the air is drenched with sunlight and the aroma of freshly caught fish grilling over an open fire.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerSeafood
Avra Estiatorio - Best Restaurants in Midtown East ›
Avra Estiatorio reviews from OpenTable diners
305 reviews since July 3, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelEnergetic
fit for foodies (147)great for outdoor dining (129)neighborhood gem (107)good for groups (98)special occasion (77)great for lunch (69)romantic (59)notable wine list (55)hot spot (55)vibrant bar scene (28)great for brunch (21)late-night find (13)kid-friendly (11)scenic view (5)Show More
- Still popular, with good reasonApprehensiveDined on 10/28/2014We've been visiting NY for years and Avra Estiatorio is always on our list. The fish is always fresh, and the preparation never overwhelms the taste of the fish. The seasonings are typically Greek with lots of herbs and olive oil. (The olive oil on the table, often overlooked because of the fabulous appetizer dips is excellent.) Save room for dessert as unlike some Greek restaurants these are not cloyingly sweet, but balanced. Not a place for an intimate conversation unless you can sit outside. People come here to eat, drink, and enjoy themselves!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DinnerMikeDined on 10/28/2014We had a very nice dinner on a warm fall evening. The outside dining looked very attractive but we sat inside as we would have to wait to sit outside. This is a seafood restaurant. All of it was quite fresh and cooked well but simply so the natural flavor came through. By the time we left (9 PM) the place was packed. Service was brisk (NY style) but attentive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Had a wonderful mealLuvtodineVIPDined on 10/26/2014Great food great service beautiful decor. Would recommend and go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food... butBillVIPDined on 10/26/2014So every time I eat at this place I ask myself why. Then I remember... it's the great food. It is not how you are treated, as the hostess always seems like she is bored and you are annoying her, or the waiters who really could care less. It's the amazing fresh fish, and the way they prepare every dish. I'be probably had lunch or dinner here 20+ times in the last couple of years (it's in my neighborhood), and not once has anyone acted like I had ever been in before. I recognize all the waiters! There is another great Greek place called Ethos a few blocks away... I walk in there and I feel like family. But for the absolute best fish you still have to go to Avra.Special Features:
- Loved the place!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/26/2014Wonderful seafood choices- a lovely combo playing background music for Sunday lunch/brunch made for a very enjoyable experience. Our only disappointment was the baklava made with almonds?Special Features:
- the bestOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/25/2014Every one loves Avra. It gets 5's across the boardSpecial Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/25/2014Great food - great service but a deafening noise levelSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fifth VisitjamesglazierDined on 10/25/2014I always enjoy dining at Avra. The food is well prepared and presented. The ambiance is very beautiful. If you like or love fish this is the place to dine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DeliciousFoodie29Dined on 10/24/2014The service and food was great! Will definitely go back soon. I ordered the arctic char, it was very fresh and delicious. The baklava was equally amazing. It wasn't overly sweet - very well made.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- James shermanJimmysDined on 10/24/2014We are far too old to return as we found noise level unbearable
- Accommodating...OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/24/2014Crowded because food is great...but creates tight and noisy environment. They pulled two table together for me and my guest because of our size, 6'6", 240lbs. After we asked a few questions the waiter recommended selecting a whole fish to split that was specially prepared. Perfect portions. Excellent!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointed this timeOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/23/2014This was my third visit here. I come to NYC at least once or twice a year and always looked forward to Avra. However, this Thursday night was a disappointment from many aspects. The place was overcrowded to the point that all I could think of was how greedy the owner must be that they had to cram in "just one more table" and so on. This added to the noise level. Forget about getting romantic or having a good conversation with your companion. The waiter was gruff and abrupt. I couldn't tell if he was pretending to be snobbish or was just overworked. The food did not disappoint, but let's face it, that's not the only reason one goes out to dine. Sadly, that will be my last visit to what I had thought was my favorite restaurant in NYC.Special Features:
- expense account neededgrammyVIPDined on 10/22/2014The food was good except that we ordered an appetizer and dessert and paid the cost of a full three course meal elsewhere. Go when someone else is paying the bill.
- Great Greek Food!!OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 10/21/2014Outstanding Greek Food, especially Fish and Seafood!!! Love this restaurant!!Special Features:
- always consistently goodGlobalNYDinerDined on 10/21/2014Avra does Greek right. Always great, perfectly cooked grilled fish, knowledgeable waiters and nice atmosphere. I've eaten there at least three dozen times and never been disappointed yet.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food but too crowdedOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 10/17/2014As always, the fish and Greek specialties were terrific! Halibut and salmon were both outstanding. It was really crowded, though, and we felt like the wait staff were overly efficient to the point where they actually tried to rush us out. We were looking forward to a relaxing Friday night, and we felt they were just trying to turn the table as quickly as possible.Special Features:
- Awesome every timegfdfchickVIPDined on 10/17/2014It's a "must stop" spot for us every time we come to NYC. And it's awesome every time!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodiNimhDined on 10/17/2014I have eaten here several times when visiting New York.The food is always excellent and service superior. Highly recommendedSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not As Greek As HopedDine4PleasureDined on 10/16/2014Went here because advertised as a Greek restaurant. While I glanced at the menu online and so Greek names I failed to look deeper into the menu. Was disappointed with how little actual Greek food there was for the main course. They sell their fish by the pound, so be careful if price is a concern. The food was very good for what we compromised with which was more Mediterranean then Greek specific. Noise level was okay until they sat another couple a the table next to us with little space between. I felt like I was on their date and could not speak with mine over their loud conversation and the background noise of parties in our section. Good for special occasion or for those who don't mind spending on dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Too noisy!LovetoEatWellDined on 10/15/2014Avra has delicious food. The restaurant is quite pretty. However, the welcome is less than welcoming. The girls at the front desk look right through you. The crowd is so noisy - we spent most of our dinner listening to people yelling across their table about bond trading. The waiter needed to be probed to give us some menu advice. More people skills and fewer people eating at the restaurant would make a world of difference. We were in the front of the restaurant... I can't imagine what the noise must be like in the rear. Too hip for me.Special Features:
- Great Place!babs1020Dined on 10/12/2014Avra was recommended by a friend and wow what a great place! The fish was the freshest I've ever eaten and the hummus they serve on the tables is the best I've ever had as well. Service was great too. I can't wait to return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Simply OutstandingBoca54Dined on 10/11/2014Upon entering you are swept away with the ambiance as it is like one big party. The more people you are with the more fun. Appetizers were great, Calamari and a trio of dips with pita. Greek salad always yum. Everyone's dinner choices were delivered together and cooked perfect. Soft shell crabs, King prawns, whole fish, and grilled shrimp were all delish! most authentic dessert cookies to Top it all off! Most memorable as I went with 5 first timers.Special Features:
- Yum!reservationqueenDined on 10/11/2014Tough to decide on what appetizers to choose from. There are so many great delicious options. My grilled dorado was just ok, very we'll done and though filleted had many bones. Quite expensive for a few mouthful of edible fish. Desert and Greek coffee was delicious. Will definitely return but will just so shrinks, appetizers an desserts.Special Features:
- FatmanVIPDined on 10/10/2014Fantastic Mediterranean food. Whether appetizers, salads, or entrees of fish, lamb, or chicken dishes the meals are always delicious. A "must" for anyone seeking Mediterranean cuisineSpecial Features:
- Mediterranean delightBHnycDined on 10/9/2014Excellent ambience and even better food. Dinner can be quite active and somewhat noisy. Excellent choice for business lunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great visitfredariaDined on 10/8/2014Good food, good ambiance, great service. Avra will be a regular stop on our visits.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great!KeyGuyDined on 10/8/2014Avra has one of the best seafood and fish menus in Manhattan. Always outstanding!Special Features:
- Midtown MeditereaneanwineguyVIPDined on 10/7/2014While the restaurant is filled with conversation and clanking plates, the chef served up serve real courses of healthy, tasty, vegetables, meats, and seafood.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always GreatnomdecenaVIPDined on 10/7/2014Went for business dinner and had great time. Fried calamari appetizer was excellent, as was grilled shrimp and fish. Interesting and reasonable (for NYC) wine list. Service was polite and prompt.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Truly a lovely restaurant! A++BusinessTravlrVIPDined on 10/7/2014Made plans with an old friend to grab dinner and drinks prior to her catching a train at Grand Central. Impressed by the wonderful reviews and convenience to GCS, we decided to try Avra. It was fabulous. It's a beautiful space through and through. The zucchini chips and Portugese sardines were fun appetizers to share. We split a whole fish and a bottle of Albariño. Everything was timed well, the restaurant is beautiful, and I will certainly try to visit again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It was ok...OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 10/6/2014Nothing too good or bad about the experience, just ok. I definitely think Estiatorio Milos is SO much better.Special Features:
- Food was great but noise level highOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/6/2014The Jack hammering from a construction project next to where we were sitting in the back room was especially annoying. Food and service were great. The decor is lovely.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of the bestOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 10/5/2014My favorite restaurant in NYC! Food is always fresh and flavorful. The service and ambiance are top notch! Extensive menu including many fresh fish options. Can't go wrong at Avra!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AwesomegreatniteoutDined on 10/4/2014The atmosphere is serene but not dull; the service is impeccable and the food excellent from the appetizers to dessertsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Solid lunch spot in Midtown East`thompso2VIPDined on 10/3/2014I had lunch here with a friend. My lobster ravioli really hit the spot, and her Greek salad with grilled chicken was quite tasty. Service was attentive but not annoyingly so. A very nice place -- I'll be back!Special Features:
- Good food but noisy for meetingsLutetraDined on 10/1/2014Definitely a goos spot to entertain clients but bear in mind any conversation can be challenge due to the noise at lunch time.Special Features:
- Always AmazingfoodEVIPDined on 9/30/2014Avra is always amazing; the food is delicious. We had a great waiter, and they have so much space, it is the perfect place to go when you don't want to be rushed out. They treat their customers like kings. I have never had a bad meal or experience there.Special Features:
- number onebeastDined on 9/29/2014you would have difficulty finding a nyc restaurant that combines food quality and variety-meat, veggies, fish (including healthy choices), great location and atmosphere and feel; choice of inside or outside, friendly and competent staff; and all for reasonable pricing; whether small or big group, business or social; family or romantic, Avra is the choice; Stelios manages an atmosphere that requires repeat visitsSpecial Features:
- best greekSuzanneDined on 9/27/2014Don't let "by the pound"scare you off. Easy to share and they will plate it for you. Food was deliciousSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A repeat for sureRFesDined on 9/26/2014This was my first time dining here and it definitely will not be my last. From the decor to the food this place gets an A+. For appetizer the Lima beans are a must have and for main dish I had the halibut, perfection and all at a great price. Do not miss this place, it's worth the midtown traffic.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.