141 East 48th Street
New York, NY 10017Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: $50 and over
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.avrany.com/
- Phone: (212) 759-8550
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Saturday and Sunday 11:00am - 4:00pm, Lunch: Monday - Friday 12:00pm - 5:00pm, Dinner: Monday - Saturday 5:00pm - 12:00am, Sunday dinner: 5:00 pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Mediterranean, Greek
- Executive Chef: George Georgiadis
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Delivery, Entertainment, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Area, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Smoking Area, Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Entertainment: We offer live jazz every Sunday at Brunch.
A word from Avra Estiatorio
Avra Estiatorio is a restaurant that transports you to the Greece of your imagination. The sky is vivid blue and the air is drenched with sunlight and the aroma of freshly caught fish grilling over an open fire.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerSeafood
Avra Estiatorio - Best Restaurants in Midtown East ›
Avra Estiatorio reviews from OpenTable diners
326 reviews since July 30, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelEnergetic
fit for foodies (161)great for outdoor dining (123)neighborhood gem (116)good for groups (108)special occasion (86)great for lunch (68)hot spot (64)notable wine list (64)romantic (60)great for brunch (26)vibrant bar scene (25)kid-friendly (15)late-night find (14)scenic view (6)Show More
- Perfect for a night outDarekDined on 11/22/2014Read some reviews about wait staff not being good, definitely not our experience. They were excellent, food was wonderful (would recommend the swordfish!!). In general it was a great night and a perfect ending to the evening after a theater matinee.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Terrific !!EatOutOftenVIPDined on 11/20/2014Food, service and atmosphere were all outstanding. Had a great night dining with some friends. Great appetizers for sharing. Seafood was super fresh and tasty. Been here before and always can't wait to go back. Enjoy your visit to this great Resturant.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good, could have been betterGactDined on 11/20/2014I have been to Avra previously and enjoy the attractive, vibrant atmosphere. This time, while the front reception was solid, from the bar to the table the service was a bit lackluster at each step. Not rude. Not terrible. But not attentive for the price tag. Felt more like a number than a special guest. But still a good spot and may go back. Just that if I am spending $600 fir 4 people for dinner (inc wine), I want it to feel a touch more special.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Well presented foods that were cooked to perfectioOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/20/2014The fish was perfect and the waiters knew the fish and had great input. Nice quiet spot to have relaxing dinner where one can hear their guests and enjoy a great bottle of wine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Greek DelightDrfoodieDined on 11/15/2014Great food, great scenery. The courses were excellent, well prepared and very filling. The portions were perfectly cooked and the servers knew exactly what they were serving. Excellent choice for a night out. Very loud though, try not to sit near the door or the bar.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- . Best seafood in New york.stoonDined on 11/15/2014Food, service and ambiance is great. Seafood is always fresh. Among the best seafood in New YorkSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentMelKDined on 11/15/2014The food is beyond delicious and the service is always fantastic. Avra always makes for a great night out!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A MustCDMdinersVIPDined on 11/15/2014Great food, great service, and seated right on time. Our waiter really knew the menu and the extensive wine list.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentAmyJVIPDined on 11/14/2014Avra was excellent. The service was great - they did not rush us at all. The food as, expected, was wonderful - cooked just as we had requested. I will definitely we back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Classic Greekk restaurant with great seafoodWWooDined on 11/14/2014Excellent food and atmosphere. Service was very good but waitress wasn't overly knowledgeable about the fish or wine options. Definitely worth checking out if you're into fresh seafood grilled to perfection in the classic Greek way!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very DisappointedEmg7855VIPDined on 11/14/2014Agra came highly recommended but did not live up to expectations. The service and the food was uninspired. My halibut was salty and overdone. The baklava was dry and inedible.
- Great place but the wait was unacceptableOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/13/2014I made a 7:45 reservation. We arrived at 7:15 to have a drink at the bar before dinner. We were told our table would be ready at 7:45 - which was fine. The bar tender was rude but we managed to get a drink eventually. At 8:00 I went to check on the table. I was told it would be 5 min more. 15 min later I asked again. I was told 5 min again. Finally at 8:30 we were seated. Barely an apology let alone a drink while we waited or even an update to us. HORRIBLE. However food and wait staff was very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great fish, lovely setting. early reservationEileenfriedDined on 11/11/2014we've gone to this restaurant many times. it's always a positive experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fresh fish, great GreekAmblerJVIPDined on 11/10/2014Warm, comfortable atmosphere, great outdoor space as well. We tried multiple apps, highlights were octopus, shrimp, and pita with choice of dipping spreads. All excellent. They sel fish by the pound. Pricy but incredibly fresh. We tried a few different bottles of Greek wine. Reasonably priced (for NYC) decent quality and definitely interesting. Will definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Favorite brunch on East SideCtTravelerVIPDined on 11/9/2014Avra is a gem. If you're looking for a brunch place you can't go wrong. Food is excellent, and service is impeccable. We have tried the brunch items as well as the main menu items and have never been disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Brunch in Midtown NYCOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/9/2014Food was very tasty and unique (Fig pancakes were great). Service was first class (always attentive without being annoying). Live jazz built a fun ambiance. Finally, we VERY much appreciated being able to eat, visit, and not feel rushed to give up our table. The prices were extremely reasonable for NYC. Will make this regular stop.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 11/8/2014Terrible service. Could never find a waiter. They acted like it was an imposition to take our order. Food is good but attitude is badSpecial Features:
- Great Greek seafoodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/8/2014We found this restaurant by just walking around midtown Manhattan. The seafood was great, and we would highly recommend it to anyone looking for Mediterranean cuisine. They specialize in fish by the pound, which makes it difficult to order separately for tables of one or two. This concept works better for larger groups. It would be nice if they offered more dishes that could be ordered by an individual. If you are in the mood for seafood with a Mediterranean flair, this is the place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- EstebanEstebanDined on 11/6/2014Best greek restaurant ever. Food is amazing. Fresh fish by the pound, it's a must.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous MealFood4thoughtDined on 11/6/2014Enjoyed everything about our experience at this restaurant. Delicious food meticulously prepared and presented with excellent wait service and attention to detail. The Chilean Sea Bass was to die for!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Midtown greek RestauranteRH00Dined on 11/5/2014Avra is an excellent greek Midtown Reataurante. Fish is fresh and the octopus appetizer deliciuos. The Fix Price is a good alternative.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- solid goldbeastDined on 11/3/2014Avra pricing is so reasonable compared to the value and what you get; Stelios runs a great operation; superior taste, healthy, great service; proper amount of noise and a few pretty people but still equally suitable for a date, for business, even for family; by far, top restaurant in manhattanSpecial Features:
- Fun and TastyRobertaVIPDined on 11/1/2014We visited this restaurant for a late dinner for six after a show. It was still hopping and had a vibrant atmosphere. The food and service were great and we had a memorable experience.Special Features:
- Great birthday dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 11/1/2014We came with a family of four (two adult children) for a 55th birthday. We had a wonderful experience and it definitely seemed like a special occasion type of place. The food was incredibly fresh and presented beautifully. Would definitely recommend for seafood lovers, as most of the menu was fish or shellfish. Favorites: crab cake, tuna tartare, mussels, and basically everything on the menu. The wine list was extensive with wines from every country. The waitstaff was knowledgable and had helpful suggestions. Can't wait to return! Also- much bigger portions than expected... I think I'm still full... Two days laterSpecial Features:
- Pure foods prepped to perfectionPhotoBosDined on 10/31/2014When looking for a meal which is tasty, healthy and pure, look no further than this Greek inspired restaurant. Every dish, side, appetizer tasted like the food it was supposed to be. Unlike other places that hide their food in sauces and creams or butters. These meals were delicious. The fish was as fresh as it could get and filleted with just a touch of lemon. Out of this world. wines by the glass options a bit flat. Not impressed with any of the red wine choices overall. Ambiance in the bar area is my favorite part of the reataurant. I would avoid being seeted in the far back portion of the place. That is best suited for larger parties.Special Features:
- Disorganized mealAnothermeal1VIPDined on 10/30/2014Food always great, but service not up to par...forget to place an order for one of the entrees, so two of us ate while the third waited for food. Gave us a sloppy plate of cookies to make up for it. Sat down and were asked by at least 3 different servers, one after another, if we wanted a drink and what kind of water after we had already told the first person. Totally disorganized and not the experience I have had in the past.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pretty authenticShaptseDined on 10/30/2014Try the fassolakia, Greek salad, sardine appetizer, any of the fish, and yogurt for dessert. The wine list is excellent for Greek wines.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GregOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 10/29/2014Had a very disappointing experience - good food, but absolutely terrible service. Advised front staff upon leaving and they did seem too concerned. Disappointing as this is usually a very nice dinner out.
- Still popular, with good reasonApprehensiveDined on 10/28/2014We've been visiting NY for years and Avra Estiatorio is always on our list. The fish is always fresh, and the preparation never overwhelms the taste of the fish. The seasonings are typically Greek with lots of herbs and olive oil. (The olive oil on the table, often overlooked because of the fabulous appetizer dips is excellent.) Save room for dessert as unlike some Greek restaurants these are not cloyingly sweet, but balanced. Not a place for an intimate conversation unless you can sit outside. People come here to eat, drink, and enjoy themselves!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DinnerMikeDined on 10/28/2014We had a very nice dinner on a warm fall evening. The outside dining looked very attractive but we sat inside as we would have to wait to sit outside. This is a seafood restaurant. All of it was quite fresh and cooked well but simply so the natural flavor came through. By the time we left (9 PM) the place was packed. Service was brisk (NY style) but attentive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Had a wonderful mealLuvtodineVIPDined on 10/26/2014Great food great service beautiful decor. Would recommend and go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food... butBillVIPDined on 10/26/2014So every time I eat at this place I ask myself why. Then I remember... it's the great food. It is not how you are treated, as the hostess always seems like she is bored and you are annoying her, or the waiters who really could care less. It's the amazing fresh fish, and the way they prepare every dish. I'be probably had lunch or dinner here 20+ times in the last couple of years (it's in my neighborhood), and not once has anyone acted like I had ever been in before. I recognize all the waiters! There is another great Greek place called Ethos a few blocks away... I walk in there and I feel like family. But for the absolute best fish you still have to go to Avra.Special Features:
- Loved the place!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/26/2014Wonderful seafood choices- a lovely combo playing background music for Sunday lunch/brunch made for a very enjoyable experience. Our only disappointment was the baklava made with almonds?Special Features:
- the bestOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/25/2014Every one loves Avra. It gets 5's across the boardSpecial Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/25/2014Great food - great service but a deafening noise levelSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fifth VisitjamesglazierDined on 10/25/2014I always enjoy dining at Avra. The food is well prepared and presented. The ambiance is very beautiful. If you like or love fish this is the place to dine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DeliciousFoodie29Dined on 10/24/2014The service and food was great! Will definitely go back soon. I ordered the arctic char, it was very fresh and delicious. The baklava was equally amazing. It wasn't overly sweet - very well made.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- James shermanJimmysDined on 10/24/2014We are far too old to return as we found noise level unbearable
- Accommodating...SizedoutDined on 10/24/2014Crowded because food is great...but creates tight and noisy environment. They pulled two table together for me and my guest because of our size, 6'6", 240lbs. After we asked a few questions the waiter recommended selecting a whole fish to split that was specially prepared. Perfect portions. Excellent!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointed this timeOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/23/2014This was my third visit here. I come to NYC at least once or twice a year and always looked forward to Avra. However, this Thursday night was a disappointment from many aspects. The place was overcrowded to the point that all I could think of was how greedy the owner must be that they had to cram in "just one more table" and so on. This added to the noise level. Forget about getting romantic or having a good conversation with your companion. The waiter was gruff and abrupt. I couldn't tell if he was pretending to be snobbish or was just overworked. The food did not disappoint, but let's face it, that's not the only reason one goes out to dine. Sadly, that will be my last visit to what I had thought was my favorite restaurant in NYC.Special Features: