141 East 48th Street
New York, NY 10017Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: $50 and over
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.avrany.com/
- Phone: 2127598550
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Saturday and Sunday 11:00am - 4:00pm, Lunch: Monday - Friday 12:00pm - 5:00pm, Dinner: Monday - Saturday 5:00pm - 12:00am, Sunday dinner: 5:00 pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Mediterranean, Greek
- Executive Chef: George Georgiadis
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Delivery, Entertainment, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Area, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Smoking Area, Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Entertainment: We offer live jazz every Sunday at Brunch.
A word from Avra Estiatorio
Avra Estiatorio is a restaurant that transports you to the Greece of your imagination. The sky is vivid blue and the air is drenched with sunlight and the aroma of freshly caught fish grilling over an open fire.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerSeafood
Avra Estiatorio - Best Restaurants in Midtown East ›
Avra Estiatorio reviews from OpenTable diners
303 reviews since June 3, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelEnergetic
fit for foodies (146)great for outdoor dining (133)neighborhood gem (102)good for groups (99)special occasion (93)great for lunch (73)romantic (61)hot spot (59)notable wine list (54)vibrant bar scene (30)great for brunch (26)late-night find (16)kid-friendly (12)scenic view (8)Show More
- number onebeastDined on 9/29/2014you would have difficulty finding a nyc restaurant that combines food quality and variety-meat, veggies, fish (including healthy choices), great location and atmosphere and feel; choice of inside or outside, friendly and competent staff; and all for reasonable pricing; whether small or big group, business or social; family or romantic, Avra is the choice; Stelios manages an atmosphere that requires repeat visitsSpecial Features:
- best greekSuzanneDined on 9/27/2014Don't let "by the pound"scare you off. Easy to share and they will plate it for you. Food was deliciousSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A repeat for sureRFesDined on 9/26/2014This was my first time dining here and it definitely will not be my last. From the decor to the food this place gets an A+. For appetizer the Lima beans are a must have and for main dish I had the halibut, perfection and all at a great price. Do not miss this place, it's worth the midtown traffic.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, very New YorknyfoodieDined on 9/26/2014Avra could only be located in NYC, it has an atmosphere that is clubby while still welcoming, and the food is terrific. I have never had a bad meal here, and while it's expensive it is not out of control expensive. One of the best for a midtown seafood dinner without totally breaking the bank. It's a little loud and the tables are close, but that may be part of the charm.Special Features:
- A MUST!!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/24/2014Fabulous food!! Freshest fish!! Friendly staff and fantastic atmosphere!!!Special Features:
- marjorieDined on 9/24/2014We dined outside and it was a beautiful day - service was excellent. Salads were very good - most enjoyable, we look forward to visiting again soon. I would definitely recommend to friends ( actually already have ).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great selection of fresh fishRichard45Dined on 9/22/2014The food is all good, but their specialty is their selection of fresh fish and they don't disappoint. The noise level is higher than I would ordinarily prefer, but worth putting up with.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fish lovers delightRiffDined on 9/21/2014Great fish selection. Well prepared. Sides delicious. Service not up to par. Would definitely go back. Waiter not attentive.Special Features:
- Not overly impressedOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/20/2014Kitchen not flexible with changes, crab cakes and main entree seafood orzo both had to be sent back to kitchen bc not hot. Bathroom a disaster. Informed management of bathroom and it took close to 10 mins for someone to come to restroom to dispose of full trash bin, get paper off floor, dry wet area around toilet and replace hand towels. Not worth the cost.
- ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 9/18/2014Food service and everything else was awesome! The only thing I was. It happy with were the desserts. They seemed a bit over done and dry.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent but keep it lower!SimpleDined on 9/18/2014Biggest drawback is noise level at night. The food and service are excellent and the ambiance is very comfortable. Just the noise level is high . I haven't been there for lunch but on a Thursday evening pre theater dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LOVE ITNannyof2Dined on 9/16/2014This is one of my favorite restaurants in NYC fresh fish great salads great cocktails yummy deserts A must for anyone in the neighborhoodSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service and portionsOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 9/13/2014We went on a Staurday night and it was a mistake. The noise level was very high and the service was terrible. The waiter took our order, they bought us our food in which the portions were "TINY" and did not come back to ask us if we need anything or how was our meal! One of my guests actually asked the manager for more pasta that came with the lobster. At $54 a portions and pasta being soo inexpensive you should give a portion that is more than 4 forkfuls! I like the food, it is fresh and good but I will reconsider going back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointed from the startProspect317Dined on 9/13/2014Arrived on time and spaces in the lovely front room were available, but I (female) and female friend were quickly seated in an empty windowless back room that retains heat from the nearby broiler. We were groomed and properly dressed. When we asked to be reseated, the waiter argued a little with us, (denying it was hot) rather than immediately calling the maitre'd, but finally relented. We really had to insist. Next table was ok, but nothing special--a middle table in a row of 2 tops. Food was good and new waiter somewhat attentive, but this early in the evening experience left a bad taste in the mouth. Wish we had gone to one of the other great midtown restaurants nearby. Won't go again.
- Freshest fish in towninwoodartDined on 9/12/2014We have eaten here a number of times and have always loved our experience. The fish is extremely fresh, the appetizers are also a treat, and I love their walnut cake. We'll keep coming back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Rushed environmentLeylalovesparisDined on 9/11/2014The service from our server was excellent. However the maître d and hostess made me feel rushed and even with a reservation there was a considerable wait. Very chaotic. The appetizers were disappointing but the prix fix is a good deal.. Good of you're in the nabe but I wouldn't go out of my way to go there.Special Features:
- Good Food Great Service`ArnoldVIPDined on 9/10/2014This restaurant offers great food beautifully prepared and presented. The service is excellentSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- excellent seafoodpanimanDined on 9/10/2014Fresh whole fish to share among two-three guests was outstanding, though not served with any side dishes at all. Pricey but excellent food and service.
- Always a good mealOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/10/2014At Avra you will always have a good meal. The food is super fresh and the service is great ! Go there , enjoy ;)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special nightHbDudeDined on 9/7/2014I have had a number of good times and good meals at Avra. But especially enjoyed my last meal with my girl. The wait staff is fun and knowledgable and the food has gone from good to great. My swordfish was the best I have ever had. Fully cooked but still moist. Simply prepared perfection that showcased the fish.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/6/2014Great restaurant, service, food and atmosphere were all great. Would definitely go again!Special Features:
- used to be goodMARKVIPDined on 9/5/2014I have eaten here three times a year for 8 years. Half of our parties fish dinner were unacceptable. We received an attitude from the waiter when one of us decided she could not eat the fish. The other party was intimidated to complain. We will never return. Our friends will not either. They recently had a graduation party and had planned to have a wedding for 100 people. They will not now.
- Excellent !OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/5/2014Always great fresh fish! Great service! Love this place!Special Features:
- Top RestaurantArnoldVIPDined on 9/4/2014Avra has it all. The food preparation and presentation is superb. Each waiter is trained to be attentive.Special Features:
- Good food / mediocre serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/4/2014Great food. They seem understaffed and we waited and waited for our meal. Wine was not replenished (our bottle was chilled a couple of feet from the table and we waited with empty glasses). Good for groups, if you have no time constraints and don't mind lots of noise. A good restaurant that could be great with better service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, very noisyjbdinerVIPDined on 9/3/2014If you're looking for a quiet place for conversation Avra is not for you. The food is terrific-sparkling fresh fish, great salads, etc.I would recommend this to a friend.
- FoodyVIPDined on 9/3/2014Always great will keep coming back!! fresh fish, vegetables and wonderful appetizers.Special Features:
- One of my favesLovegoodfoodDined on 9/2/2014I eat here ALL the time. Probably every week. The food is always amazing. I love fish and bar none, Avra always has the best fish in the city. Fresh, exciting, so delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AwesomemhancockDined on 9/2/2014This is a hidden gem in NYC. Awesome. Highly recommend. Food, drink, atmosphere are all top notch.Special Features:
- Kaps reviewKapsVIPDined on 8/30/2014Brought friends from out of town. Food was spectacular. Service was very good. Was a little expensive but you don't mind paying if the food is excellent. Recommend to anyone who likes fish prepared exactly the way you like and we were sat at our reservation time. We wet attended well by the server and would go again.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/29/2014We were a party of four and everyone's fish was overcooked.
- Expensive for what you getOttawaFoodieDined on 8/28/2014The first thing that hits you is the noise level. Then the prices on the menu. $15 for a basic tomato salad. $23 for a lukewarm grilled octopus appetizer. Should be half those prices. Main courses were very tasty. Wine list extensive and, of course, nothing under $50. So all in all, reasonably good food for a lot of $. If you have too many drachmas in your pockets, or want to spend the company's expense account, then go here. If you are looking for great Greek food at a reasonable price look somewhere else.Special Features:
- Slow serviceFishFanDined on 8/28/2014The was very good, but the experience was spoiled by very slow and often inattentive service. Very long wait (at 7pm) for the sea bass we ordered to arrive at the table. We were seated in a noisy back corner room, near the steps. Difficult to have a conversation. I'll stick with Astoria restaurants in the future. Food quality was good... shared a Greek salad and sea bass, well-prepared.
- Midtown change of pacedmkbVIPDined on 8/27/2014Nice change of pace for midtown business lunch, away from the usual steak houses. Service is fast and organized so you can get in and out for a business lunch, when everyone descends on the restaurant at the same time. Fish is always fresh and there are nice light choices for lunch. The bread, olives, radishes and hummus that are presented as soon as you sit down are delicious. The octopus is terrific as a starter, charcoal grilled. The Loup de Mer is a favorite, serviced simply with olive oil and lemon. The oregano fries are a good accompaniment. The outside seating area is nice as well and is sheltered somewhat from the sidewalk and street traffic.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedbillieDined on 8/25/2014we went to celebrate my daughters 22 birthday. There was lovely outdoor dining area but we were seated in the back, back "wine room." There were two large groups there and it was very noisy. We couldn't have a conversation. We should not have been seated in that area. There were other areas that would have been much nicer.
- Great tapas for dinner!CJinFLDined on 8/24/2014Three of us came for an early Sunday night dinner. We had two awesome bottles of sauvignon blanc and split several plates of appetizers. The olives are wonderful, the mussels are tasty, and the octopus is to die for. We don't live in NYC, but we'd love to come back someday.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- NYLewDined on 8/23/2014This is always a great place. I like to bring out of towers here because they're not going to find a restaurant like this where they live.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, but the service??LongIslandLady11797Dined on 8/23/2014This restaurant came very highly recommended by our son who has taken business clients here for dinner on several occasions. We arrived at Avra on time for our 5:00 reservation. We informed our waiter that we had an event at 7:00 to attend and assumed that he would keep an eye on the time during our meal. Well, he was not as attentive as we had expected and was hard to find when we needed him. Our daughter, who was here on business from Washington, D.C., had to go look for him so that we could place our order for dessert. We only ordered 2 dishes of gelato and still had to wait for quite some time before they were brought to our table. Everyone (there were 4 of us) enjoyed their meals but we were very disappointed in the service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MY FAVORITE SEAFOOD SPOT IN MIDTOWNJacktheDragonDined on 8/22/2014GREAT WINE, OLIVES, BREAD AND THE SEAFOOD IS WONDERFUL. WE HAD OCTOPUS, CALAMARI, SOFTSHELL CRABS AND THE BLUE POINT OYSTERS. ALL WERE EXCEPTIONAL, NICELY SERVED WITH ADEQUATE SAUCES AND LEMON. THE SERVICE WAS PRECISE, FRIENDLY AND YET APPROPRIATELY PROFESSIONALSpecial Features:
- Excellent all aroundDannyVIPDined on 8/20/2014A consistently excellent choice. Service is prompt, food is fresh and well-prepared.Special Features: