141 East 48th Street
New York, NY 10017Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: $50 and over
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.avrany.com/
- Phone: 2127598550
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Saturday and Sunday 11:00am - 4:00pm, Lunch: Monday - Friday 12:00pm - 5:00pm, Dinner: Monday - Saturday 5:00pm - 12:00am, Sunday dinner: 5:00 pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Mediterranean, Greek
- Executive Chef: George Georgiadis
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Delivery, Entertainment, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Area, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Smoking Area, Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Entertainment: We offer live jazz every Sunday at Brunch.
A word from Avra Estiatorio
Avra Estiatorio is a restaurant that transports you to the Greece of your imagination. The sky is vivid blue and the air is drenched with sunlight and the aroma of freshly caught fish grilling over an open fire.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerSeafood
Avra Estiatorio - Best Restaurants in Midtown East ›
Avra Estiatorio reviews from OpenTable diners
306 reviews since May 2, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelEnergetic
fit for foodies (145)great for outdoor dining (131)special occasion (101)neighborhood gem (99)good for groups (86)great for lunch (71)romantic (67)hot spot (56)notable wine list (53)great for brunch (40)vibrant bar scene (32)late-night find (22)kid-friendly (15)scenic view (9)Show More
- Slow serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/28/2014The was very good, but the experience was spoiled by very slow and often inattentive service. Very long wait (at 7pm) for the sea bass we ordered to arrive at the table. We were seated in a noisy back corner room, near the steps. Difficult to have a conversation. I'll stick with Astoria restaurants in the future. Food quality was good... shared a Greek salad and sea bass, well-prepared.
- Midtown change of pacedmkbVIPDined on 8/27/2014Nice change of pace for midtown business lunch, away from the usual steak houses. Service is fast and organized so you can get in and out for a business lunch, when everyone descends on the restaurant at the same time. Fish is always fresh and there are nice light choices for lunch. The bread, olives, radishes and hummus that are presented as soon as you sit down are delicious. The octopus is terrific as a starter, charcoal grilled. The Loup de Mer is a favorite, serviced simply with olive oil and lemon. The oregano fries are a good accompaniment. The outside seating area is nice as well and is sheltered somewhat from the sidewalk and street traffic.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedbillieDined on 8/25/2014we went to celebrate my daughters 22 birthday. There was lovely outdoor dining area but we were seated in the back, back "wine room." There were two large groups there and it was very noisy. We couldn't have a conversation. We should not have been seated in that area. There were other areas that would have been much nicer.
- Great tapas for dinner!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/24/2014Three of us came for an early Sunday night dinner. We had two awesome bottles of sauvignon blanc and split several plates of appetizers. The olives are wonderful, the mussels are tasty, and the octopus is to die for. We don't live in NYC, but we'd love to come back someday.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- NYLewDined on 8/23/2014This is always a great place. I like to bring out of towers here because they're not going to find a restaurant like this where they live.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, but the service??OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/23/2014This restaurant came very highly recommended by our son who has taken business clients here for dinner on several occasions. We arrived at Avra on time for our 5:00 reservation. We informed our waiter that we had an event at 7:00 to attend and assumed that he would keep an eye on the time during our meal. Well, he was not as attentive as we had expected and was hard to find when we needed him. Our daughter, who was here on business from Washington, D.C., had to go look for him so that we could place our order for dessert. We only ordered 2 dishes of gelato and still had to wait for quite some time before they were brought to our table. Everyone (there were 4 of us) enjoyed their meals but we were very disappointed in the service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MY FAVORITE SEAFOOD SPOT IN MIDTOWNJacktheDragonDined on 8/22/2014GREAT WINE, OLIVES, BREAD AND THE SEAFOOD IS WONDERFUL. WE HAD OCTOPUS, CALAMARI, SOFTSHELL CRABS AND THE BLUE POINT OYSTERS. ALL WERE EXCEPTIONAL, NICELY SERVED WITH ADEQUATE SAUCES AND LEMON. THE SERVICE WAS PRECISE, FRIENDLY AND YET APPROPRIATELY PROFESSIONALSpecial Features:
- Excellent all aroundDannyVIPDined on 8/20/2014A consistently excellent choice. Service is prompt, food is fresh and well-prepared.Special Features:
- i will always love youvoolksorfVIPDined on 8/18/2014i love you, you are the best, i love the blonde hostess, muackSpecial Features:
- Favorite Greek restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/18/2014It is consistently great, never had a bad meal, I try to go at least once a month. The price fixe lunch is great value. The staff is very attentive. I would recommend every dish I have had especially the fish.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Greek foodMF28Dined on 8/17/2014This restaurant was recommended to us. We wanted a good Greek restaurant in Manhatten. This definitely fit the bill as the food was delicious. Being of Greek origin we are fussy... I highly recommend this restaurant..Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- excellent food, tables a bit closeOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 8/17/2014enjoyed our dinner last night delicious fresh salad, nice arctic char and recommended wine was good only complaints were the tables were close, even for ny and i thought pricing was highSpecial Features:
- Great Food, Great AtmospherekarenDined on 8/15/2014Really enjoyed the food, ate dinner here with my mom on a girls trip to NYC. Great food, service was great also!!!, otherwise it was awesome!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent seafoodATNYCDined on 8/13/2014Great seafood, good (not great service). I'm a Manhattanite and have no problem paying for quality food. I thought it was bit pricey versus comparable places and seemed to have quite a few tourists, but it is Midtown. Definitely recommend a reservation as we still had to wait with one. Food was worth it though.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Great GreekNoseyDined on 8/11/2014Our favorite NYC restaurant Have eaten here over fifteen timesSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service is poordinethymeDined on 8/11/2014Third dinner at Avra and every time the service is poor. Check-in process is brusque unwelcoming. We were seated for at least 20 minutes before anyone even acknowledged us and took a drink order. Recent party of 3 included a friend who is allergic to gluten/wheat. She ordered items with no gluten-containing ingredients mentioned on the menu AND told the waiter of her allergy. Yet her arugula salad arrived with 3 large pieces bread on top. 4 tries total to get a simple salad right, including them just removing the bread and re-presenting the same salad - UNACCEPTABLE with a food allergy! The process was so incompetent as to be almost comical.
- avrahunter2323Dined on 8/8/2014The 2nd most romantic dining destination in my opinion in NY 2nd only to the river cafe. Food unmatched great wine list enough said dine outside if possibleSpecial Features:
- SolidCeciVIPDined on 8/8/2014The service and food were very good. Nothing too fancy, just right.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love it!LisaDined on 8/6/2014Great fresh fish. Nice atmosphere. We had a tight table for 7 but I had up'd the resie from 6! Wonderful apps and amazing fish would return in a heartbeat!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- So fresh.Ana523Dined on 8/5/2014The food is ocean to table and the fish tastes freshly caught. The vegetables are farm to table fresh.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good experienceOlyaDined on 8/4/2014Made a reservation 10 minutes prior. Arrived earlier, were seated without a problem even had a choice between tabeles. Server wasn't great, we felt neglected. But other staff members, bussers were very attentive and helpful! Great place, good food!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great service, great foodMylesVIPDined on 8/3/2014Everything here is homemade down to the little muffins and the salad dressing.Special Features:
- Perfect waiterkathyb1Dined on 8/1/2014Our waiter Thanasi made the whole experience even more memorable. Loved his personality!Special Features:
- Warm, Welcoming and always LivelyCoriDined on 7/30/2014The warm decor, lively crowd and welcoming staff always make this a favorite place to dine with friends and family. But it's the fabulous food that that makes that keeps you coming back. The freshest fish, fabulous salads & dipsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 7/30/2014Great place to dine!! One of the best fish places in the city!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lively, delicious and wonderful.EsjayDined on 7/28/2014Ambiance was terrific - great experience for my friend from out of town. Food was superb and wine list was great. The atmosphere was really special.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- a bit too noisyOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 7/28/2014the food is always excellent here and the service fine. My problem is that at a certain point one begins to yell at one's dinner companion because the noise is so intense. I don't mind noisy but i do like to be able to hear!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I <3 AvraDianaDined on 7/26/2014I absolutely love everything about Avra. The have a gorgeous outside patio which I have sat at for lunch. They have the best mediterranean food in NYC. You have to try the grilled octopus! Delicious fresh seafood, you can't choose wrong. Lively atmosphere with wonderful friendly wait staff. I recommend this place to family and friends and can't wait to dine here again!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- badgolferVIPDined on 7/26/2014We went for a special birthday before an eight o'clock show. The food was served quickly but was cooked to perfection. I highly recommend the tuna tartar and the lima beans. Everything was wonderful!!!Special Features:
- Great place for business lunchOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/25/2014The grilled octupus is phenomenal. It melts in your mouth and as it was prepared with capers, it was unique and quite delicious. I come for lunch quite frequently. The fish has always been excellent and I love the salads with chicken or shrimp as lighter fare option. While you need a reservation, it is well worth planning ahead.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not worth the price anymoreOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 7/24/2014Dined there Thursday night. This was my fifth time and my wifes second. Had enjoyed the restaurant up to this point, but this visit was a major disappointment. Service was mediocre, and food was significantly overpriced. Had the Langostinos (very meager portion for $30) and the Black Sea Bass, which came out very cold. There are much better dining experiences in Midtown
- Fantastic food, lacked serviceGatorDiningVIPDined on 7/24/2014Went for a work dinner in a group of 6. We ordered the trio of dips, fried calamari, grilled octupodi, and oregano fries for appetizers. Everyone was very pleased with the meal. The fried calamari and oregano fries were amazing. I could have done without the grilled octupodi, but it wasn't bad. I had the baked sea bass which was prepared in a tomato sauce with whole grilled onions and potatoes. It was delish! The food was great, but the service was lackluster. The servers were a wee bit on the rude side, but it was extremely busy so that could be a factor. The servers were not on top of things ( i.e. our table had to waive the servers down if we needed refills or to take our order). GO GATORS!Special Features:
- Great Food!Travel77Dined on 7/22/2014I loved Avra! It is close to my office and every time I passed by or tried to get a table, it was packed, I finally made a reservation and understand why there is never an empty table, the food is amazing, order fish which is the best! The hostess and waiter we had were not great, a little snotty and looked like they were doing us the favor but the food was worth it, hopefully next time we will get better service.Special Features:
- Over cooked SeafoodUsmcbklyn29Dined on 7/19/2014Wanted to try everything on the menu and all was well until the main course. Here's my review on the following: chilean souvlaki- Very good crab cake- Outstanding blue point oysters- Very good Malpeque oysters- Very good king pranws- POOR- Burnt (well overcooked and clearly charred but we tried to eat one) lobster- POOR (Not burnt but rubbery due to being over cooked). I'm sure the cook may have been overwhelmed but if the food is clearly overcooked then you should not serve. My wife and I are not the complaining type but I had to review this experience as I was very disappointed after the main. They ended up refunding the one prawn that I couldn't eat.Special Features:
- Consistently awesomethutDined on 7/16/2014As a frequent business traveler to NYC, I have the pleasure of getting to Avra monthly and I look forward to it every time. The food is wonderful in that it is authentic, fresh and alive with flavor. The energy is great and the staff is the right balance between professional, friendly and respectful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WONDERFULileneDined on 7/16/2014EXCELLENT AS ALWAYS. LOOKING FORWARD TO NEXT VISITSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The best service and foodNeighborhoodgemDined on 7/14/2014Last night I went out with my girls and I had the best time! Or waitress Tonia was amazing- she was very sweet, attentive and she knew everything on the meniu. She made our night out perfect! The food was real Greek food, the one I get when I go to greece every year to visits family. I think they need to prove their Greek salat to taste libel Greece, but still the rest of the food was wonderful. No doubt- perfect place for Greek food in NYC! And always ask for Tonia!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Greek Food in MidtownArtyWoman69VIPDined on 7/14/2014I met a friend and we had a nice lunch -- good food, pleasant wine, lovely atmosphere and nice service. The grilled squid could have had more flavor and been better cooked with more of a char, but it was nice. The salad was good. Overall the food could use more flavor, but the atmosphere, service and lovely décor make up for it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great dining experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 7/12/2014THE FOOD WAS PHENOMENAL AND SERVICE WAS GREAT. WIDE VARIETY OF SEAFOOD THAT VERY WELL PREPARED.Special Features:
- Always ExcelsOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 7/11/2014Avra in midtown never disappoints with the impeccable service, fresh seafood and outstanding deserts. Open Table reservations were adjusted twice do to traffic, but the staff was accommodating and as always, friendly and totally on point. There is really nothing lacking here. Reasonable pricing especially in midtown. Great for any occasion .Special Features: