2721 Cahaba Road
Mt Brook, AL 35223Neighborhood:
CalifornianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.avorestaurant.com/
- Phone: (205) 871-8212
- Hours of Operation:
Sunday 10-3pm Dinner : Sunday-Wednesday 4-11pm Thursday-Saturday: 5-12am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Californian
- Executive Chef: Ben Kirk
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Smoking Area, Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: We welcome your celebrations with us of special occasions and special people: weddings, graduations, promotions and fundraisers with family, friends, co-workers, or fellow volunteers. Let us prepare the food, the drink and the space while you concentrate on what’s truly important at such times — the people you wish to honor or with whom you want to celebrate. While we have several large-party or dinner menus planned, we tend to customize each occasion to suit your desires and we urge you to call us to discuss, plan, and perfect your special event.
- Private Party Contact: Justin Geppart 205-871-8055x
A word from AVO
Avo is California shorthand for avocado, one of the iconic products of the Golden State -- the originator, as with so much else, of the local and slow-food movements in the US. Avo continues this tradition with its "Cal-abama cuisine," using the best local and state products from Alabama along with select California seafood, meat and produce to create simple yet elegant meals in a clean, contemporary space that makes use of sustainable building products and low-energy lighting, heating and cooling. A full corner bar and a covered outdoor terrace overlooking the heart of Mountain Brook Village offer guests distinct dining experiences, including a Sunday brunch.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeigborhood Gem
AVO reviews from OpenTable diners
52 reviews since July 30, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (37)fit for foodies (24)great for outdoor dining (23)vibrant bar scene (21)hot spot (21)good for groups (14)romantic (11)notable wine list (10)scenic view (10)great for brunch (9)special occasion (8)kid-friendly (6)great for lunch (5)late-night find (4)Show More
- California in Alabama!BobbyDined on 11/15/2014Restaurant attracts an eclectic clientele. Food and ambiance is definitely Californian.Special Features:
- Another delicious mealVickiVIPDined on 11/13/2014We've been to AvoDram a few times while visiting our son in Birmingham. It's a favorite. The two menus give everyone choices. The pimento cheese is a family favorite!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Vibrant environment good foodOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 11/3/2014This place has a vibrant environment, good food in reasonable portions and good serviceSpecial Features:
- Great place but loudGugsDined on 11/2/2014Loved the food and the service - eating off the bar menu in the main dining room, I had an amazing fish taco and wonderful arugula salad. Nice wine selection and great service. But on a Sunday night, our group of 5 had to compete with our neighbors to hear each other. The beautiful, modern decor seems not to absorb much sound. Otherwise, great experience.Special Features:
- FoodieGirlDined on 10/31/2014Avo/Dram is my go - to for a night out with the girls, a nice date and Sunday brunch. You can't go wrong either way.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, great service, energ.OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 10/22/2014Great food, great service, energetic noise levels inside.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner with friendGracieDined on 10/19/2014Loved our experience!! Waitress was a little strange and never came back after brining check but everything else was good!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- goodSusanneDined on 10/14/2014great food, nice atmosphere, EXCEPT they need to take measures (carpet, ceiling, whatever) to dull the roaring, not just "energetic", noiseSpecial Features:
- Special dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/7/2014The food was just OK and the service was awful. I had to ask a bus person twice could they find our server
- Avo date night!kidcutie123Dined on 9/26/2014We loved our dining experience at Avo! The boar chop was to die for and the outside seating was fun!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AVO was amazing!somerdaisyDined on 9/26/2014My husband and I sat on the balcony outside. I have been there several times but it was his first experience. We started with the pimento cheese and crackers. This is always delicious. Then we shared a salad of fresh tomatoes, feta cheese and very interesting pickled vegetables. It was very good. The steak and biscuits melted in our mouths and the parmesan and truffle oil fries were fabulous. The chefs ice cream for dessert was the perfect ending. Our service was wonderful. Our waiter was very helpful and very efficient. He had a great sense of humor also. We will definitely be going back next time we are in Birmingham.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PhillipPhilipDined on 9/19/2014The food here is delicious. The fresh tomato salad was superb and the chef was kind enough to share his recipe with me. I will eat here again.Special Features:
- Must go!BobbyVIPDined on 9/6/2014One of the best in birmingham. I travel weekly and rely on OT so trust me on this one. Incredible steak and very good chicken with polenta.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AVO DinnerBillVIPDined on 8/26/2014We have dined at AVO on several ocassions and have always enjoyed it. The service is responsive and the food is very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome!klleDined on 8/22/2014Food was great - the kale caeser salad a must have! Burgers and fish tacos were a hit. You have your choice of ordering off the Avo menu or the Dram menu (downstairs restaurant) which is nice to have a choice. Love this place and can't wait to go back!Special Features:
- great foodOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/15/2014Avo food is great but menu is always the same...(with 2 specials) had the fish taco this time but had the same salmon salad the last 2 times- need some healthier options too... should offer grilled fish taco alsoSpecial Features:
- Open SundayramblerDined on 8/10/2014Food is just ok - not for the price charged. Spirits menu is impressive but were out of both malts I picked.Special Features:
- Great Spot!KimCDined on 8/8/2014I love Avo I am a frequent visitor! I have hosted quite a few events there and the atmosphere is phenomenal!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- apageDined on 8/2/2014The food was wonderful but the dining room was TOO loud. I would have had a better dining experience at the outside tables. I will remember that next time!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 234 reviews are from the AVO reviews archive.
- NoiseOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/15/2014Food is good and inventive, but all is destroyed by noise so great one cannot carry on a conversation and even gets an headache
- excellent service, good foodpardiaDined on 7/12/2014The service we received was top notch. The food was very good, with a lot of flavors. I would recommend Avo for foodies !Special Features:
- AwesomeBobbyVIPDined on 6/30/2014Pure Awesome! A must when visiting Birmingham!! This is my new favorite restaurant in Alabama.Special Features:
- Great eveningOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/29/2014Great evening! I loved how our server picked up that it was my wife's birthday and included a candle on my wife's dessert that she ordered.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great dinner!maggie12Dined on 6/28/2014Great food and excellent service. Love having choice of small,medium,or large plate items.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great brunch!TerryHallDined on 6/22/2014I was a little unsure about our reservation when we arrived. The hostess seemed a little confused. There was confusion as to where we would sit, there was not a table for us, we decided to sit at the chefs table. The food was good and the service was adequate.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- New York style in AlabamaOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/15/2014I love AVO. The food is wonderful, unique, fresh and organic. You get a little of that New York restaurant feel but with southern hospitality service.Special Features:
- ExcellentStepmom3Dined on 6/14/2014First time to dine at Avo and it was excellent. The food and the service were exceptional. We will be going back for another visit soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/8/2014Great food (we had the fish of the day and rabbit sausage) but expensive.Special Features:
- Great! Celebrated our 48th! 🎂Crater1Dined on 6/4/2014Great food, service, and ambiance.Capped off a great dinner evening on out 48th! ThanksSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and ambianceDaConManDined on 5/30/2014Had the Mahi and it was delicious. That combined with solid service and nice outdoor setting made for a great date night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MemorableOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 5/30/2014We stopped in Birmingham on a trip to Florida from St. Louis. We found Avo on open table a decided to give it try. It was one of the top five dining experiences we have had between our life in St. Louis and trips to Boston, New York, Colorado, Wyoming, and Florida within the last five years. It ranks up there with The Mad Hatter on Sanibel, Acero in the Lou, The Atlantic Fish Co in Boston or even the Four Seasons in Jackson Hole. Original, delicious and fresh food was served to us. If you live in Birmingham, you should know you have a gem.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great balcony patio, slow serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 5/28/2014The food was excellent. I had the California Burger. However, the service was EXTREMELY slow.Special Features:
- consistent,excellent serviceDelighteddebVIPDined on 5/27/2014One of our favorite restaurants. Great food,varied selection, good chefs,excellent sevice and management. Give it a try!Special Features:
- AmazingJeremyDined on 5/21/2014The food was amazing and the atmosphere makes this restaurant even more romantic. Well worth it and we'll be back for more! Not a disappointment at all.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food, Drink and FunInTheHamVIPDined on 5/11/2014Awesome place to grab a bite and a drink. We love sitting outside either on patio down below or the balcony above. This visit we had the best table up top with view of the circle in Mountain Brook. Server was great and very knowledgeable with drink options and the menu. Draft beer selection is good. Wine selection is very good and some nights have half price bottles. There is something on the menu for everyone although having two menus is confusing to most. Great place for small bites or large full meals. Reservation seating was on time on a packed night -- Mother's Day!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Super cozy, best steak in BhamwarrenmeDined on 5/4/2014This is an excellently run spot with plenty of friendly servers, delicious food, and the best oysters and steak I have had in Birmingham. The décor is fresh and fun, and the outdoor seating is both refreshing and romantic. I would highly recommend!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good But...TimOnTheTownVIPDined on 4/23/2014I found the food very goo but a bit over priced for what you are getting. Also, the waitress was back far too often to check on us. It was hard to hold a conversation with an question every three minutes. Maybe on a busier night it's the opposite? I still would go back.Special Features:
- Group loved it!FiveUABgalsDined on 4/16/2014Three of our five had never been so I enjoyed seeing them experience the delicious food, fun atmosphere and great service for the first time. Will always recommend this as a place for a little loud fun as well as a romantic dinner destination. Wish all visitors to B'ham knew of this place - the town is well represented by some fine restaurants and AVO is definitely one to be experienced.Special Features:
- Five stars!IPaddleDined on 4/12/2014Great food, excellent service and good company. Keep up the good work! Looking forward to our next visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Second visitemmyDined on 4/2/2014Second visit still unexciting menu and not a lot attention to detail with respect to food preparation or service.