1733 NE Alberta St
Portland, OR 97211Neighborhood:
FrenchPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.aviarypdx.com/
- Phone: 5032872400
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:00PM - 10:00PM
Friday & Saturday: 5:00PM - 11:00PM
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: French, Asian
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Chef's Table, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Wine
- Catering: Contact us for more information.
A word from Aviary
Located in the Alberta Arts district of Northeast Portland, Aviary combines industrial design with local art, reclaimed wood from the original site, and locally crafted lighting. With a chef's counter, communal table and a seasonal patio. Three co-chefs, Sarah Pliner, Jasper Shen, and Kat Whitehead, collaborate on an eclectic menu of small plates inspired by France and Asia. Leah Moorhead's wine list draws from boutique wineries in France and the Pacific Northwest with a cocktail list with seasonal infusions.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerFrench
Aviary reviews from OpenTable diners
65 reviews since June 23, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (56)neighborhood gem (41)special occasion (28)great for outdoor dining (20)good for groups (10)romantic (9)hot spot (9)notable wine list (7)vibrant bar scene (4)late-night find (4)kid-friendly (1)great for lunch (1)Show More
- Every bite...OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/17/2014Every bite introduced amazing mixes of flavors. For a night where we wanted to focus on the food and make it an adventure, this delivered near perfection.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Especially wonderfulLovefoodVIPDined on 10/16/2014Delicious and varied food options. Crispy pig's ears a particular treat. Blends of flavors...attentive informed service. A favorite restaurant for us. We keep returning and have always had spot on experiences at Aviary.Special Features:
- TrailRunner00Dined on 10/4/2014Went there for a "Date Night" and had a great time. The service was excellent and the food, unique and delicous. We ordered a number of the small plates and shared, which I recomend. That way you get to try more of the very unique selections. My favorites were the Sweet Breads and the Charred Octopus.Special Features:
- Fabulous mealYeaterVIPDined on 9/27/2014Every dish was delicious. Fresh and different ingredients, very well prepared and presented- dishes that were interesting with flavors that went together very well. We tried about 9 dishes and each one I would order again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Adventurous MenuNWYummerDined on 9/24/2014Really liked Aviary's menu. Smallish plates. Two of us split four items. Not your usual fare but instead each dish was a creative and tasty combination. Cauliflower flan with sea urchin was silky, salty and out of this world. Favorite dish was the charred octopus with molten ricotta. Wait staff was very helpful about our gluten issues. Thank you for that!Special Features:
- Amazing food!musselloverDined on 9/22/2014We have been to Aviary a few times now and every time we find the menu and food to be amazing. Never, ever disappointed. My husband is hard of hearing and the staff accommodated his needs by turning down the music slightly and seating us in the back room by the bar. They have amazing cocktails too. We will return OFTEN.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good but expensivesaudisandyDined on 8/28/2014Loved the green beans, eggplant & tomato french toast. Not so much the sweetbreads. Several choices were just a bit too "out there" for some members of our group. $180 for 5 of us and we walked away a bit hungry.Special Features:
- Never disappointedKingston32Dined on 8/26/2014Had a great evening at aviary, really enjoyed their patio, although the inside space is beautiful too, both food and service were excellent! I hadn't been to aviary in a while and was happy to still be impressed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PigearsMingLeeDined on 8/22/2014Crispy pig ear and green beans were the best. duck and heirloom tomato with french toast were underwhelming.Special Features:
- Creative, Innovative, and DeliciousBigFoodLovers123Dined on 8/20/2014The food was amazing, we are true foodies and were so surprised by the creativity and the wonderful combinations. The brussel sprouts nachos are a must try, along with the heirloom tomato french toast. We also had the grilled octopus with the baked ricotta cheese, which was outstanding. The waitstaff was really friendly and very well informed with the dishes they presented to us. We sat in the back by the open garage door looking on to their vegetable garden which was very pleasant. The only thing we can say is the atmosphere was lacking in warmth or something interesting going on. It was plain and the lighting was quite dull. But the food made up for it all!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- IvoryDined on 8/9/2014This was our second visit. Brought two foodies from Seattle along. They were duly impressed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great when new and getting betterLovefoodVIPDined on 8/7/2014Exceptionally inventive and delicious food in a chic space. Drinks are among my favorite in the city. Seriously, I did not think raw oysters --which I love-- could be served so simply (not "naked") and be so good. Talent exudes from the kitchen. We keep returning and are delighted every time. Thanks Eric and Jenny.Special Features:
- inclusive fine dining in PortlandDreadandButterDined on 8/5/2014Beyond the seemingly bizarre combinations of flavors in Aviary's employ, you will find a restaurant utterly lacking in the pretension you might otherwise associate with restaurants of its ilk. The menu is varied yet concise and offers smart, exquisitely-prepared dishes in an environment that invites adventurous fans of food. Service here is welcoming and doesn't miss a beat. The interior is devoid of any kitschy clutter or ultra-modern catalog swag, further reinforcing the effort invested in Aviary's menu. Highlights from our dinner included salmon roe, surprisingly seeded throughout the cauliflower flan and the wholesome simplicity of broccoli raab, which is absolutely nailed in its pairing with charred octopus.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Aviary is a delightful diningOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/5/2014Aviary is truly inspired dining. The very best bread dip ever is complimentary. All our dishes were very, very wonderful. The server was nice and helpful and attentive. The cocktails are handily competing with our favorites in Portland, which is already a prodigious bar scene. If you order a lesser and more dish you will be satisfied with delicious foods.Special Features:
- good new placeLaw5guyDined on 8/2/2014This place doesn't appear to have been open for very long. The food was wonderful! I had the short rib, which was very well paired with risotto, beans and zucchini. My wife had the cabbage rolls and the Japanese eggplant, which was particularly good. We will return.Special Features:
- OutstandingPickyeaterDined on 8/2/2014Everything we had was superb. Don't miss the zucchini or the tuna!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- KristiDined on 8/2/2014The food is awesome! We say it tastes like you would want it to taste--perfectly seasoned. It's one of my favorite restaurants in Portland.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- mikeeDined on 7/30/2014wonderful experience, great food, love the asian influence on NW freshness. Service excellent. informative but not over intrusive. Non formulaic in approach. Actually interacted as if interested. Have gone previous times, never disappointing.Special Features:
- Creative and delicioussimonepdxDined on 7/29/2014This is a restaurant where you wish everything was small plates, so you could afford--and fit--three or four things each! Outstanding were the oysters on the half-shell with tomato granita and the cauliflower flan with uni, greens, and salmon roe. Both dishes brought together wonderful textures and delightful flavors. The main courses were also delicious, if not as spectacular. Venison medallions were perfectly cooked and had a unique spice mix, but the three coin-sized potato slices seemed mingy for a side prominently mentioned in the menu. The pig ears, coconut rice, and Chinese sausage was delicious, but the crunchy ears were out-competed by soft mush. DO have a cocktail. Mine was great, and the whole list looked fantastic!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, brilliant waitstaffJyhashDined on 7/26/2014The food was amazing, we loved the waitstaff and they were very knowledgeable, the ambience was very modern and nice. Fantastic place, will recommend to others.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- nancyDined on 7/25/2014All the dishes we tried were amazing. We started with bagna caudal, had duck egg, green beans with a curry sauce, tuna tartare(to die for), and grilled octopus with a ricotta pudding! We will definitely be back!Special Features:
- Foodie Rep Doesn't Arrive at PlateFrankyLuvsToEatDined on 7/23/2014Portland is in such a primitive state when it comes to Chinese food. I hoped Aviary would save the day. The Chinese pop-up at Aviary is a highly touted and fun event. The cocktails are some of the best in town, but the food is uneven. A couple of dishes delighted while most were so-so. The chef delivers a ton of variety for $35, but only the tea eggs and the beef noodle soup were memorable a day later. The much hyped xiaolongbao were good for Portland, but would not be considered exceptional in California, NY or China. This was a fun evening and a good value. I wish the food itself was better. .Special Features:
- lolaDined on 7/22/2014Delicious, creative small plates. Best use of eggplant ever!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- As good as it getsdineabouttownVIPDined on 7/19/2014This was one of the best restaurant experiences I have had. We ate over half the menu and were all very impressed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Party in your mouthrisinggrDined on 7/5/2014Because my partner doesn't eat much, we felt more comfortable eating at the bar even though we had made reservations, which may or may not have slowed service a little as the bartender was very busy. But we enjoyed watching him, and he concocted a special cocktail (not too sweet) for me. It was tart and tasty. My partner had the oysters on the half shell and they were very good--small but meaty. I had the grilled octopus with ricotta pudding and broccoli rabe . It was fabulous. The portion was perhaps small for $20, but it was big on taste. We ordered a dessert that was truly amazing: a warm chocolate torte with pickled rhubarb, ginger ice cream and fennel crunch--if memory serves me. This was our third or fourth visit. We will be back.Special Features:
- better than expectedluv2dineVIPDined on 7/2/2014Avairy was our favorite find after three days in Portland. Our server was incredible in terms of knowing wines, describing the food and how it was prepared without any attitude, he was simply an enthusiast for what the restaurant offered. Nothing we ordered disappointed us, and we enjoyed very morsel of the five dishes we ordered. A must to enjoy in Portland.Special Features:
- A gem in NE PortlandpdxhomecookDined on 7/1/2014Finally made it to Aviary and was not disappointed. For the two of us we ordered 3 small dishes and shared the grilled octopus for an entree. Which left room for two wonderful desserts. Seems like everyone is serving grilled octopus now (we've had it 3 times this year) but Aviary's was the best , The largest tentacle (from Uwajimaya?), perfectly grilled and served with ricotta pudding and red curry sauce. Several flavors but none overwhelmed the others and blended wonderfully. And the same analysis is true for the other dishes. And the wine list was very good. Finally the wait staff was knowledgeable and attentive. A must go!Special Features:
- The following 450 reviews are from the Aviary reviews archive.
- The food was good but not greatGregVIPDined on 6/9/2014Certain dishes stood out others were passable at best. Service was spotty. Our waiter apologized for the service saying they were really busy. The place was half empty.
- Whimsical and tastygourmandrewVIPDined on 6/7/2014I have no idea what I just ate. Was it Asian, PNW, modern or classic. No idea. And I really don't care. The food is awesome. You just have to go and experience it for yourself.Special Features:
- Never DissappointsNoPoFoodieDined on 6/4/2014Regardless of your food preferences, Aviary shines with every dish and drink. No, I don't work there and don't have any connection other than loving good food and beverages and reasonable prices. If you are from out of town and have only one evening for dinner, aim here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bleach????? Too bad.DmanfDined on 5/31/2014Admittedly, our reservations were at 5:30, and they may have just mopped or cleaned the tables. The smell was awful, like a latrine after a good cleaning. Hopefully this review will prompt a change in their routine. Fortunately, the weather was beautiful and an outdoor table was available. An okay outdoor ambience, but pretty austere. The food ranged from outstanding to good. The raw sea urchin was a little hard to look at, and pretty tasteless, but my bad for ordering it. In general, it was an adventure in eating and some of the food was outstanding. I especially enjoyed the tuna tartare. Everyone in my party left satisfied.Special Features:
- Epicurean FantasyLauraDined on 5/30/2014I've become known among my friends and family as a person who likes "weird food". At Aviary, the food is not weird. It is a unique flavor experience found in unlikely, astonishingly delectable, perfectly prepared, fresh ingredients. The cauliflower flan served as a nice comfortable backdrop for mouthful of sea (in the best way) that the other ingredients so perfectly delivered. The signature dish, crispy pig ears, had some surprise shiso leaves that always get a double eyeroll of pleasure from me. The sweetbreads were the best I've ever had. Perfectly crunchy on the outside, fatty and tender inside. I can't wait to go back and try the rest of the menu. The waiters were equally excited about the menu, pleasant, and unobtrusive.Special Features:
- Good but not greatMehpdxVIPDined on 5/16/2014Aviary is good. Some dishes are really good, and some are, well, not, so it averages out to good. I will say it's nice for Alberta to have this restaurant that is more about dining than about a quick meal. The cocktails need to change. They've been the same for years. Maybe a few have rotated, but overall some freshness needed there.Service is pretty good. A tartare was to be forgotten. I prefer when a tartare is mixed rather than having all separate components presented for the diner to mix him/herself. Oysters with tomato "granita" are underwhelming as the granita gets watery and provides no acidity to the oyster as a mignonette would. The tempura veg is always a hit, as is the bread with bagna cauda.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Happy HourOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/16/2014We ordered everything on the happy hour menu and loved it all and the service was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sweet eatsOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/14/2014Awesome attention to detail. Just the right amount of food that was perfectly prepared. What a gem this place is...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 3-4 stars for our 2nd dining thereKanaryDined on 5/6/2014I gave it 3 stars - could easily be a 4 or 5 but feel like it fell a little short with food this time. Presentation & taste was good but not great. It has been about 9 months since our first time there. My recollection of first experience there was that we enjoyed the food much more the first time but I honestly think it was partially due to our choices. Beet salad is back and is fun, pig ears - you can skip them - I've had better. They were kind of flat. Octopus well prepared. I'll go back but not for a while - it is not a restaurant where I finished the meal and can't wait to come back again. Maybe I've gotten pickier? But it's a fun place to go & you'll enjoy it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A great time was had!OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 5/3/2014Aviary distinguished itself with the food. As a party of 4, we tried about 10 items from the menu (+ 3 desserts...). All were great. Unusual ingredients paired in interesting ways to create a truly uniquely delicious food experience. Beer and wine selection were great as well. Would definitely recommend it to anyone who was looking for a highly memorable food experience. Service was prompt, but not overbearing. Noise level allowed civil discourse. Didn't spend time there, but the bar looked nice as well.Special Features:
- AmazingKatmanducDined on 4/26/2014The food was amazing with different levels of flavors for every dish. I had dishes I had never heard of before and we loved every one. We can't wait to go back to try some of the other dishes.Special Features:
- Unexpected treatnakedtonueVIPDined on 4/25/2014Love their imaginative use of flavor combinations and ingredients. Wish we're had room to try out more dishes. Will definitely be back!Special Features:
- Wish I wanted to Go BackElizDined on 4/24/2014Great food, seamless service. I just couldn't understand why they left the inside as such a skeleton. I understand this when the skeleton is interesting, but it feels like a cafeteria. This building is not worthy of a minimalist approach to designing the space. I don't know why the walls are white, or why I can see down the hallway to the side, or why there is no artwork. If this place was cozy it would be one of my favorites. But when I spend that much money to go out, I want to feel transported into a different space. There is lots of good food in this town, ambience is crucial. And this may keep me from coming back. If I can get food this good, which I can, somewhere that is lovely to be in, the other place will always win out.Special Features: