Avenues Proper Restaurant & Publick House
376 8th Ave
Salt Lake City, UT 84103Neighborhood:
Salt Lake City
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Avenues Proper Restaurant & Publick House
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.avenuesproper.com/
- Phone: (385) 227-8628
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Tuesday - Saturday: 11:00am - 2:30pm; Brunch: Sudnay: 10:30am - 2:30pm; Dinner: Sunday, Tuesday, Wednesday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm; Thursday - Saturday: 5:00pm -12:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Beer Garden, Gastro Pub, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Liam Connelly
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Late Night, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Avenues Proper Restaurant & Publick House
Gastropub with on-site brewery featuring Contemporary American cuisine. A rotating selection of house-brewed beers are complimented by large list of draft and bottled beer from the many great breweries in Utah. The food menu changes often based on the seasonal availability of products from local and regional farmers and ranchers.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeigborhood Gem
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Dining
Avenues Proper Restaurant & Publick House - Best Restaurants in Salt Lake City ›
Avenues Proper Restaurant & Publick House reviews from OpenTable diners
26 reviews since July 23, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (18)fit for foodies (9)great for outdoor dining (8)hot spot (7)good for groups (7)late-night find (5)romantic (4)great for brunch (4)special occasion (3)kid-friendly (2)great for lunch (2)scenic view (1)Show More
- Good Beer, Food needs a little workStephASDined on 11/14/2014Ordered the Pork Belly & Biscuits knowing that pork belly is a fattier cut of meat, but I didn't expect that 2 of the 3 pieces were all fat. NOT a good dish at all. The Poutine Fries for our appetizer although pricy ($13) were delicious! Most of the items on this menu looked to be a bit pricy for what you got. Liked the atmosphere it was nice with all the wood. Go here for drinks only, home brew beer was good!!Special Features:
- A Happy GroupLCeatsalotDined on 11/5/2014I recently arranged a post-meeting dinner and drinks outing at Proper with about 10 people. The menu is delicious. I got the special Poutine to share, and the Chicken and Waffle for myself. The Poutine was delicious, you can't go wrong with fries, gravy, cheese, and short ribs! The Chicken and Waffle was also a well executed classic, topped off with a unique and delectable thyme-infused syrup to balance the crispy chicken sausage and fried egg. I would love to come back to try out the rest of the menu!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Avenues Proper Salt Lake City UTMooseDined on 10/30/2014The beer samplings were perfect size and our wait person, Elle, was very knowledgeable about all the different brews, flavors, hops and yeasts. It was our first time here and we definitely will go back. The food was excellent. I ordered the Proper Burger with egg and house salad. The burger was very flavorful and the egg on top perfect. I loved the salad dressing as well. My husband ordered the Wygu carppaccio (sp) and it was also excellent. There was also a featured wine that we liked so much, that we purchased some when we went shopping.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice option in the AvenuesLouSLCDined on 10/18/2014Great variety of creative dishes. The pickles were good app and the roasted chicken was fantastic. Good cocktail selection and very attentive service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- awesomegr8foodDined on 10/18/2014I can't believe I haven't found this sooner! The menu was incredible. Pork Belly; amazing! The service was perfect. Great suggestions and came to the table just enough that she didn't forget but not looming. Can't wait to take others there!Special Features:
- Salt Lake FavoritetopnotcheatsVIPDined on 10/2/2014Very relaxed atmosphere with pretty good food. Best place ever for beer. They have their own in house brewery that you can peer into as you eat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Chose wrong!JkvwDined on 9/19/2014I ordered the vegetarian dish. It was terrible. The rest of my family enjoyed what they ordered.
- Great for drinksShaylaKayDined on 8/24/2014I really enjoyed my bloody mary and the Proper flight with High West liqour paired with Avenues beer, delicious!Special Features:
- Great neighborhood restaurantBretUtahDined on 8/23/2014AP has a great beer and cocktail list and a great menu. I had the fish and chips last night, not sure I'll order them again, but they were good. I like lightly breaded fish and they have more breading than actual fish. Their fries are killer and their corn is amazing, when it's in season. I have never seen kids here so that's a huge plus.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice local spot for a casual meal16pawsVIPDined on 8/19/2014We weren't blown away by the food or the service; but a good, solid option for a local gastropub.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- New chef, better menu, great beerSteveVIPDined on 8/14/2014Much improved menu with the new chef with several meal choices that make for a nice evening out. Could still use a bit more depth ala The Epic Annex in Sugarhouse but still an all around positive experience and a place I will be back to anytime I frave a great local beer and dinner.Special Features:
- Yummy!OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/8/2014The corn on the cob, fries, chicken sandwich all super yum! The side of bread was only so-so at best.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Avenues Pub is averageOutOntheTownDined on 8/7/2014Roast chicken was a bit dry. Veggie burger spicy and also a bit dry. My fish and chips were just what I wanted. Wine selection and mixed drinks that my friends had were all excellent. Service was wonderful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TrendySDBreezyDined on 7/27/2014I went to this restaurant for Sunday Brunch after noticing it was a very trendy place in Salt Lake. I was a little disappointed. I ordered the chicken and waffles...the chicken is really some sort of ground up chicken infused with sage...a chicken tender. The waffles and eggs on top were fine. The mimosas were alright as well. Neither choice is really anything to brag about. My biggest complaint would be the seating. I went with my friend, just the 2 of us and the tables were so close together it really made for some uncomfortable conversation. We felt like our neighbors were in our convo and vise versa. Overall, the service was average and it's ok spot to try once, I most likely won't be going back.Special Features:
- foody placecarsonDined on 7/25/2014I gave it 3 stars because I don't see the value in expensive food like my wife does. If you're a foody, you'll love it. Lots of weird stuff on the menu, it's all local and stuff, and it is expensive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 69 reviews are from the Avenues Proper Restaurant & Publick House reviews archive.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/19/2014Beers and food were great. Server made us feel comfortable and really knew the menu. friendly neighborhood pub atmosphere-nice. We will be going back again!Special Features:
- We will return oftenKayinSaltLakeDined on 7/18/2014We can't believe we never went here before - it is practically in our neighborhood (we live in Capitol Hill and the restaurant is only 2 1/2 miles as the crow flies) We tried three different beers and liked them all, as well as a G&T made with local gin, which was also great (would have been better if we weren't stuck with a "Utah pour") The menu is several steps above the usual gastro pub fare. The shellfish frites was outstanding, as was the burger. There was too much else on the menu that we wanted to try, so we will be back soon to eat our way through all of the offerings. Server knew the menu and ingredients and was just attentive enough. Astonishingly reasonable prices for food and drink.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- exceeded expectationscfprofVIPDined on 7/13/2014Was very surprised by the quality of the meal and professionalism of the staff. My wife loved the entire experience. Beers are also exceptional. Not fine dining, but excellent food fairly priced with great service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great brunchUrbanDinerDined on 7/6/2014We continue to enjoy Avenue Proper for brunch. We've been there several times and have always had a wonderful time.Special Features:
- Never have to ask me twice.HungryintheAvesDined on 6/20/2014I absolutely adore this restaurant! I wish I could eat here more often. The chicken and waffles are a must and there is always room for pork belly. It's noisy but the food is absolutely worth it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sophisticated Comfort FoodTwiggsDined on 5/21/2014Yes, that's it, sophisticated comfort food. French fries with the adult version of a savory sauce…and this time to shake it up we tasted the Beer Braised Short Rib. Perfection.Special Features:
- Great night, great foodscubasteve801Dined on 5/16/2014This was my second time dining at Avenues Proper, hands down my favorite restaurant in the Salt Lake Valley. Fresh, local produce is awesome!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great new restaurantBretUtahDined on 5/10/2014I was surprised to see such a great restaurant in a quiet avenues neighborhood. The restaurant is very well put together with an upscale feel but the prices don't break the bank. I was surprised by some of the unique drinks they have and the waitress recommended a great beer cocktail?! They brew a small selection of beer that is worth trying. Good service, great food and great drinks make this restaurant one of the best new restaurants around.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great local findOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/9/2014Been wanting to try this place for a while and so glad I finally did! Went to dinner with some friends and my sister who was in town visiting. We all loved it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic!!!BrooksVIPDined on 5/8/2014I made my reservation solely on the description in Open Table and what a fantastic surprise! The menu was so descriptive and varied, it was difficult to choose from the many options. The beer menu had it all as well. I was so impressed. I also appreciated the décor, the art work and "feel" of the restaurant. When I return to Salt Lake on my future business trips, I will be sure to enjoy this gem again and again! Thank you!Special Features:
- Delicious!ibidDined on 5/2/2014This gem is underrated! Food great, and service attentive. Try it,Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MehAlohaVIPDined on 5/1/2014I like having neighborhood restaurants and was anxious to finally try this one. The food wasn't bad by any stretch, but it also wasn't memorable. Possibly it was the dish I had which was a substitution after they had ran out of what I originally ordered.Special Features:
- Very good beer, new chefSteveVIPDined on 4/9/2014Pleased to,atop for a late night beer and discover ythe new chef has fleahedmout what was a bit of a sparten menu in the past. Imhad mussels and frites and two good houseA-brewed beers, enjoyed it all and will certainly come back when I have some proper time to have a meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love Avenues Proper!GilliDined on 4/4/2014I have been here twice - once when they very first opened and again last week. The food was phenomenal the first time and was even better the second time around. The rarebit fries are to die for! Jackie and the rest of the staff are amazing. I will definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very Creative MenuSpikemontropolisDined on 3/27/2014Excellent, locally sourced ingredients and a creative menu make this a great spot. Food is fresh and tasty. Try the short ribs. Homemade potato chips are awesome! Upbeat atmosphere and great service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- InXeLDined on 3/13/2014I mostly went to try their beer which was great, but I was also very impressed by their food.Special Features:
- Good beer good foodblue0rbitDined on 3/12/2014Not where you would expect to find a restaurant, let alone a public house / brewpub. The food was definitely better than what one would normally expect from a "bar". The menu was actually pretty creative, and more importantly, tasty. The beer selection, of course, was great as well. Service was prompt, polite, and professional. I will be going back for more next time I'm in town.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wanted more...SaltLakelocalDined on 3/9/2014Ok food. Ok service. Ok ambience. Not great enough to return for, and certainly not well enough to recommend to others. Dinner service may be a bit more solid, but Brunch was not what we were hoping for.
- Promise not deliveredCHRANGIEVIPDined on 3/8/2014This place has so much promise but it is been only partially executed. Started with the cheese plate - the cheese was average. Our drinks, the Black Marge were terrific. The place is charming and with some polish can really be something great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent nanobrewery w/great foodJohnCerylDined on 3/7/2014Excellent and interesting selection of rotating beers brewed in-house (including a goze [sour] and a nice rye beer), plus some local microbrews on tap as well. The food is very good too - try the duck fat popcorn starter! While the desserts don't quite live up to the rest of the menu, Hatch Family Chocolates is right next door (with beer ice cream among other delights). My only complaint with the ambience is that the chairs are somewhat hard and uncomfortable (the benches and booths are fine though).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- All around amazing!VacationgrlDined on 2/28/2014Avenues Proper hit the mark on every level. The restaurant itself had great decor and right when you walk in the door, you see why they have such a great beer selection. The micro brew equipment is encased with windows and there are 2 different sides of the restaurant. We wanted to try several dishes and split several small plates and appetizers. The pork belly and brussels sprouts and chicken and waffles were our favorite, with the cod fish sticks close behind. Our server was very attentive and also provided some great recommendations for food and drinks. We will definitely be going back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A hidden gem soon to be found out.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/15/2014Avenues Proper was a fun place to go. They have an extensive list of beers and some out-of-the-ordinary cocktails. We will definitely be returning for dinner and likely brunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- fantasticOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/14/2014My wife and I have been several times and each time has been great! Love all the food, beer, and atmosphere.Special Features:
- We loved everything we tried...chickittyDined on 1/24/2014We loved everything we tried...chicken and waffles, seafood and frites, hamburger, and appetizers. Fun presentations of the food, This was our first time there but will definitely go back again. Very courteous when I had to change my reservation twice in one night.Special Features:
- Great little neighborhood gemMobyDickDined on 1/24/2014We really enjoyed it. Had some burgers and salads that were all great. Good gluten free options. Some really nice locally brewed beers, and a few ciders for the gluten free ones. Would recommend it, and will definitely be back soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.