Avenues Bistro - Brookside
338 W 63rd St
Kansas City, MO 64113Neighborhood:
Plaza / Brookside
EuropeanPrice: $30 and under
Avenues Bistro - Brookside
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.avenuesbistro.com/
- Phone: (816) 333-5700
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Sunday: 9am - 2pm; Lunch: Monday - Saturday: 11:00am - 4:00pm, Sunday: 2:00pm - 4:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 4:00pm - 9:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm, Sunday: 4:00pm - 8:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: European, Continental, Tapas / Small Plates
- Executive Chef: Mario Galan
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Catering Director Jessica Ray’s “if you can dream it, we can do it!” approach begs for the spotlight from all who specialize in the art of Catering. Our well received designer menus provide a carousel of options for all functions. Don’t see what suits? Doesn’t matter, for what you have in mind is a go. From pick-up to full service, 5 people or 500, from box lunch to fancy five courses, we can handle the truth! But the word is out and dates are filling up fast. Put the worry behind and insure a great time by considering us. Contact Jessica Ray, firstname.lastname@example.org or 913.449.2553.
A word from Avenues Bistro - Brookside
Avenues Bistro offers an array of selections for every palate and features many regional European specialties. Chef/Owner Joe Birch, voted one of “America’s Top 25 New Chefs” in 2007, comes from a diverse European ancestry and has for the past 20 years traveled across and studied the cuisines of Europe. These travels & experiences, his vast culinary training, & many of his own family recipes are the inspiration behind both the concept and the creation of the dishes at Avenues. Birch’s kitchen is led by Executive Chef Mario Galan, a rising star on the Kansas City culinary scene. In 2007 he & Birch earned Avenues “Best New Restaurant- Kansas City”. Followed up in 2008 as being recognized by Ingrams Magazine as one of "Kansas Citys Top 3 Overall Restaurants". Equally impressive is the wine program at Avenues. Recognized as having both great value & selection, the restaurant was recently awarded Wine Spectator’s “Award of Excellence” & also Wine Enthusiasts "Award of DistinctionContinued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Brunch
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeigborhood Gem
Avenues Bistro - Brookside - Best Restaurants in Plaza / Brookside ›
Avenues Bistro - Brookside reviews from OpenTable diners
187 reviews since July 29, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (139)fit for foodies (79)great for brunch (60)special occasion (54)great for lunch (51)notable wine list (36)good for groups (33)romantic (28)hot spot (18)late-night find (16)vibrant bar scene (16)kid-friendly (3)great for outdoor dining (1)scenic view (1)Show More
- Disappointing ChangesFormerFatKidDined on 11/22/2014Avenues opened up a new part of their restaurant since we last attended. While that looks great, they need to take more time in training the staff to be more polite to their paying customers. When remarking that they had removed a great deal my girlfriend and I love, the waiter looked at me as if I was an idiot, explaining that the menu is still largely the same. Then when he delivered the wrong side dish, he never once apologized, instead saying, "well that's not what I brought." Yeah, we know. Overall it was very disappointing and one of our favorite date night restaurants is no longer on that list because of it.
- Slow service overshadowed great food.OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/22/2014We made a reservation for group of seven one month prior to our visit. We arrived and were seated in the bar area. We waited 45 minutes for drinks to arrive, and then continued to have extremely slow service. We were very disappointed, since our visit prior to the remodeling had been fantastic. Maybe they were not prepared for a larger space??I would recommend this to a friend.
- suzzDined on 11/21/2014Food and surroundings were great - waiter was courteous and price is right.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious restaurant and the new space is GREAT!tominkcVIPDined on 11/19/2014Always a good experience here! The new space is a great addition.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JakeDined on 11/15/2014Very pleasant neighborhood restaurant. Food is good - fixed price menu good value, decent selection. Extensive wine list.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- service disappointingMartinDined on 11/14/2014We are long time regulars. This past Friday, service was not up to par. Our server did not introduce himself and would walk by our table frequently without asking how we were doing or offering assistance. Bar service was also very slow. Everything else was up to par. We will be back; but, if we have the same level of service???Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- friendliest stuff in Kansas CityksbaronessVIPDined on 11/14/2014We love Happy Hours at the Avenue's Bistro. Food, wine / drinks choices, ambiance, stuff- all great and hard to beat. The newly remodeled addition to the restaurant will make the place even more fabulous than it used to be. Great for a date , dinner with your family or a group gathering.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It was a great place for lunch!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/14/2014The food, service and ambience were outstanding. The beer cheese soup and Caesar salad were delicious. I would definitely recommend this again. The parking was a bit challenging.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Yummy small platesfoodscoopVIPDined on 11/13/2014We had a coupon good for a free tasting plate, and the shrimp hush puppies we chose were outstanding! After eating them, we had a couple other light seafood dishes and were more than satisfied!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Business casual dinningAngelicaDined on 11/10/2014Great food, customer service, atsmosphere, fast, convinient and great selections.Special Features:
- a pleasant surprisenighthawk779Dined on 11/7/2014We have now eaten at the restaurant a couple of times. It has been a pleasant experience. The service has been good the food has been good to very good. It is reasonably price and in a good location. While parking maybe a problem on the weekends if you look long enough you will find a space.Special Features:
- HungryVIPDined on 11/3/2014Wine for as little as $4 a glass is a GOOD thing! I had the prawn sandwich - good, but too much BREAD.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointed this timeLizinBrooksideDined on 11/2/2014I recommended Avenues Bistro but this evening was disappointing. The service was not up to your usual high standards and the construction certainly messed with the ambiance. Not a typical Nistro experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Seriously overbooked reservationsOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 11/1/2014Our opentable reserveration resulted in a 45 minute wait in highly crowded small reception area, standing. The dining room was so noisy we could not carry on a conversation with our dinner companions. Wait staff was excellent and food was good.
- DeliciousThePickyDinerDined on 11/1/2014There were 6 of us dining together at Avenues. Four of us had never been here before. Two couples went with the special for two people which was an unbelievable deal. The flatbreads were very tasty for an appetizer. Between us we ordered every side salad and they were all delicious. Several of us ordered steak and others grilled halibut, all good as well. And, finally, dessert. We ordered the creme brûlée bread pudding and it was to die for. We all left the restaurant very happy and we all said we would return soon. What a find!Special Features:
- Not such a great experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 11/1/20142 orders of Eggs Benedict were overcooked. The waitress was nice enough to go back and get us 1/2 orders properly cooked to go. That was the highlight. Mimosas were bottomless @ $8. Helped us get through the blasé food.
- panchoDined on 10/30/2014Great food, efficient & friendly service, great valueSpecial Features:
- Never a bad meal here!BaconsMomVIPDined on 10/30/2014We come here frequently and are never disappointed. Our server recommended a wonderful wine. Our fish was perfectly prepared, and our sides were delicious. We joined their discount group and look forward to good times ahead!Special Features:
- Nice placeCindyDined on 10/28/2014We enjoyed Avenues Bistro but is not a place that we would probably return to. We thought the food was very good but we are very picky on what restaurants we return to. Very few make our short list.Special Features:
- Just Plain GOOD!OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 10/27/2014The 'original' Brookside location offers consistently good food!! Both my husband and I thoroughly enjoyed our fish dishes... Avenues is a 'go to' restaurant when you are looking for a place to dine where the entrees will be more than pleasing! New wine bar next door will be a great addition.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AvenuesYiayiaVIPDined on 10/27/2014This is a favorite. The menu has so many wonderful choices! The food and service are really terrific.Special Features:
- dchkcmoVIPDined on 10/23/2014Overall we had a good experience. Understanding that construction was on going the ambiance was acceptable and nice. The food was very good and a good value for your money. My issue was with the service. It was very slow and our server and trainee were hard to track down. My biggest complaint was my wife and I being called "dude" twice by the server and "bud" and "darling"at other times. For the price we were paying and the type of restaurant we were in, we both felt disrespected. A little more "class" would work wonders.
- We have nevers been disipointedSpecialDined on 10/23/2014We try to dine at Avenues at least once or twice per month. Food is always excellent and we enjoy your very personable waite staff. Specially Giovanni.Special Features:
- BJFKCVIPDined on 10/21/2014The entrees and side dishes were all familiar rather than esoteric - salmon, steak, French fries, Brussel sprouts, broccoli cheese soup. Yet in each case, the chef succeeded in giving each a flavor and texture that was both vivid and different. This restaurant combines the best elements of both a neighborhood restaurant and a trend-following - or -setting - restaurant. We recommend it wholeheartedly.Special Features:
- magneVIPDined on 10/18/2014I made a reservation for Saturday 18 @ 7.30pm, reservation confirmed!!!! We had to wait till 8.15pm to be seated!!!!!!!!!!! Either Open Table or restaurant staff should review the scheduling
- SusanDined on 10/18/2014As always we enjoyed our meal. The service was great everyone was very friendly. we uses a BOGO but will come back at full price. We recommend this to our friendsSpecial Features:
- Gotta work on yur filetrlcbyjanDined on 10/18/2014My dates filet was tough and last time it was overcooked. I don't think he'll be ordering that anytime soon. I had the beef ribs and rice was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BistroColeDined on 10/16/2014We've eaten here many times. It has always been good. I wish they would bring back the artichoke dip without the crab. It was the best.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 10/15/2014Construction a small issue but overall very good. Service was great.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/14/2014Lower score given was because first person in our party to arrive was not allowed to sit down at table even though we had reservations and there were several empty tables until more arrived. Our server either had to many tables, or was just having a bad day. Not pleasant at all. Actually, I was disappointed with the evening. The food was excellent as was the wine.Special Features:
- AnnaVIPDined on 10/12/2014The food was superb. The poached eggs with the Eggs Benedict were perfect. The coffee was weak. Despite having made reservation ahead and seeing several empty tables, we were disappointed to be seated right by the kitchen. We asked for a change and was granted our request. Thank you.Special Features:
- Avenues October 2014Fridining2014Dined on 10/10/2014We really enjoyed our evening. The food was really good and the wine selection was quite appropriate. The drinks were also quite good.Special Features:
- Service is greatDisappointedDined on 10/8/2014I have visited Avenues Bistro several times. While the food is average, the service is always on point.Special Features:
- 25th anniversaryChitownGeoDined on 10/7/2014Great place, I'm just not sold on Open Table. Reservation was made for 2, one day before date it was automatically changed to 3. No mention about our 25 year anniversary or our choice of waiter. I did like the update I received one hour before reservation. I guess I'm just an old fashioned guy, I will go back just not through open table.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- new menumacaroniandcheeseDined on 10/7/2014We are looking forward to a new menu. The hostess could not find our reservation alhtough we had booked on open table and on the restaurant answering machineSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- brookside brunchOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/5/2014About 5 years ago I really enjoyed going to Brookside for brunch because of a certain restaurant. That restaurant closed and I stopped going. But now Brookside brunch is back with Avenue Bistro!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- goodfoodgoodfriendsDined on 10/4/2014The food was excellent as always. Our server made a couple of great menu selections. the pork belly was amazing.Special Features:
- Always a great place!YummyVIPDined on 10/3/2014I've been here many times and always enjoy it! Can't wait for the new addition!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dining OutPodsDined on 10/3/2014Avenues is a great place to go and have a good meal repeatedly. We enjoyed sitting at the bar to eat so we can watch games, sporting events on their tv. Expanding in November-much larger bar and seating areas.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- nice neighborhood spotmagneVIPDined on 9/27/2014great food, very tasty and a reasonable price, scallops were delicious. I hope they will keep the same kind of menu when the transformation into a larger place will be done (they took over my favorite ice cream place!!!!)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.