Avenues Bistro - Brookside
338 W 63rd St
Kansas City, MO 64113Neighborhood:
Plaza / Brookside
EuropeanPrice: $30 and under
Avenues Bistro - Brookside
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.avenuesbistro.com/
- Phone: 8163335700
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Sunday: 9am - 2pm; Lunch: Monday - Saturday: 11:00am - 4:00pm, Sunday: 2:00pm - 4:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 4:00pm - 9:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm, Sunday: 4:00pm - 8:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: European, Continental, Tapas / Small Plates
- Executive Chef: Mario Galan
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Catering Director Jessica Ray’s “if you can dream it, we can do it!” approach begs for the spotlight from all who specialize in the art of Catering. Our well received designer menus provide a carousel of options for all functions. Don’t see what suits? Doesn’t matter, for what you have in mind is a go. From pick-up to full service, 5 people or 500, from box lunch to fancy five courses, we can handle the truth! But the word is out and dates are filling up fast. Put the worry behind and insure a great time by considering us. Contact Jessica Ray, firstname.lastname@example.org or 913.449.2553.
A word from Avenues Bistro - Brookside
Avenues Bistro offers an array of selections for every palate and features many regional European specialties. Chef/Owner Joe Birch, voted one of “America’s Top 25 New Chefs” in 2007, comes from a diverse European ancestry and has for the past 20 years traveled across and studied the cuisines of Europe. These travels & experiences, his vast culinary training, & many of his own family recipes are the inspiration behind both the concept and the creation of the dishes at Avenues. Birch’s kitchen is led by Executive Chef Mario Galan, a rising star on the Kansas City culinary scene. In 2007 he & Birch earned Avenues “Best New Restaurant- Kansas City”. Followed up in 2008 as being recognized by Ingrams Magazine as one of "Kansas Citys Top 3 Overall Restaurants". Equally impressive is the wine program at Avenues. Recognized as having both great value & selection, the restaurant was recently awarded Wine Spectator’s “Award of Excellence” & also Wine Enthusiasts "Award of DistinctionContinued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Brunch
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeigborhood Gem
Avenues Bistro - Brookside - Best Restaurants in Plaza / Brookside ›
Avenues Bistro - Brookside reviews from OpenTable diners
198 reviews since May 19, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (148)great for brunch (88)fit for foodies (82)great for lunch (74)special occasion (74)notable wine list (44)romantic (39)good for groups (38)late-night find (17)hot spot (15)vibrant bar scene (14)kid-friendly (6)scenic view (1)Show More
- Sunday BrunchJamieDined on 9/14/2014very good - only problem, and it consistently happens at Avenues, is not enough wait staffSpecial Features:
- Best Brunch bargain in TownluvtheplazaDined on 9/14/2014I usually avoid brunch because I just can not eat enough food to justify a $30 tab. Avenues Bistro has many wonderful selections, at reasonable prices. Now I love Brunch!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best RestaurantBERGRVIPDined on 9/14/2014As always, I love this restaurant. I'll dine there whenever possible.Special Features:
- Great brunchREM1Dined on 9/14/2014Avenues Bistro has a fantastic Sunday brunch. The options are endless and the food is scrumptious. We will go back.Special Features:
- Would have liked to eat hereOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 9/13/2014I made a reservation after having a great experience the day before and even got there 10 minutes early. The hostess told me she was going to get our table ready then ignored me for the next 20 minutes. When I finally got her attention, she told me it would be 40 minutes. Needless to say, we left and went to another one of the many brunch restaurants in the neighborhood. It's one thing to make a mistake, it's another to totally avoid me and think I'll just go away. I will go away and I won't be back.
- Always goodHungrymanVIPDined on 9/12/2014Avenue Bistro has become a KC staple. Each and every time we eat there its always good.Special Features:
- MackVIPDined on 9/6/2014Great food selection and preparation. Excellent service. Prices very moderate.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great RestaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/4/2014Avenues Bistro is a wonderful place to enjoy great food in a relaxed atmosphere. The wait staff is attentive but not intrusive. One of my very favorite places to meet friends.Special Features:
- Always a great place!Catty2Dined on 9/1/2014The food is wonderful, happy hour specials are hard to beat!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A little disappointedBioGeekDined on 9/1/2014This was my first time for holiday brunch at Avenues. It was very crowded and noisy, which was to be expected. We were seated at a table next to the kitchen that seemed to be an afterthought and it was VERY close to the neighboring tables. The food on the buffet was OK at best. The eggs were barely warm, the sausage had not been browned and looked gray, the potatoes were not seasoned at all, the pastries, pasta salad and fruit were good. The french toast had the potential to be really good but they did not let it soak long enough and it tasted like grilled bread. I expected better from Avenues!
- brunchdew1805Dined on 9/1/2014We were here to meet my cousin at the Bistro for lunch. We have eaten there many times in the past for brunch.the 10 special sounded very good. I was very disappointed with the selection at the buffet.as a diabetic there were very few foods that I could eat.we might take advantage of a special like this again but I would first call and confirm what's going to be on the buffet..Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- yes, butparticularDined on 9/1/2014The ten dollar holiday brunch is a good deal with the same cold items on the buffet and same menu choices every time. I wish the hollandaise sauce on the eggs benedict had more flavor and the English muffins were toasted. Oh well, not bad for the price.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pleasant holiday brunchKCTiger77Dined on 9/1/2014Great brunch for Labor Day....modified from normal Sunday brunch=buffet plus selected entrees.Special Features:
- BrunchBERGRVIPDined on 9/1/2014Love, love, love this restaurant. I never have anything negative to say about the food, the service, the atmosphere!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- RawchickenVIPDined on 8/31/2014We have been eating at Avenues Bistro since the opening. Brunch, lunch and dinner. We have had them cater several events for us. The food was always excellent and also the service…. until Sunday night, August 31. Very bad service, our waiter was hateful to us, when we questioned him about where our appetizers were, he said, "oh I thought you wanted your appetizer and your meal served at the same time." Had to ask him to do a drink order, and then when he brought the ticket and we told him that we would like to see a dessert menu. He was hateful about waiting on us. And the food was not that good. Very disappointed in a great restaurant.Special Features:
- Poor receptionserviceequalshappyDined on 8/31/2014I entered. Man tending bar did not acknowledge me ever e.g. welcome, one moment please etc. Same with other staff. 4min and 45 sec. later a young lady welcomed me. Man from bar said, "does he have a reservation" and again didn't even make eye-contact with me. Once seated then Kevin, a young black man warmly greeted us and got us started. Every one else there could take lessons in customer service from Kevin.
- Disappointing serviceEasytopleaseDined on 8/29/2014Wow. The place was so loud. I was hoarse from yelling over the noise at my dining companion at the end of the eve. Our food took about 15 minutes to arrive and we were both famished. The waiter did not apologize or offer some bread while we waited. He didn't check with us to see what we needed and didn't fill our water glasses until we flagged him down, which took time to get his attention.
- Avenues Bistro - GREAT!PartyoffourDined on 8/29/2014The food was excellent. I had the sole - am not crazy about fish but I ate every single bite of this and would order it again. My husband ordered the lobster ravioli; he is a light eater BUT he ate evert bit of his, too! We ordered gelato for dessert. I love gelato but am picky about it; I would say this is some of the best gelato I have had! Prices are very reasonable considering what you get!Special Features:
- My favoriteLuvAvenueDined on 8/24/2014I drive three times a week from Raytown to dine here! The food, service (Bill and Megan) and atmoshere are top notch. I tell everyone I know it's always on point!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sunday BrunchJazzycazzyDined on 8/24/2014Avenue Bistro is in a great area of Brookside. The restaurant is small and charming. The food was ok. Nothing fancy or special. No farm to table type of experience. It was a good breakfast but nothing special that I can't get anywhere else. Room 39 is a great example of a restaurant that really cares and loves the food they prepare. Our server was polite but forgettable. Nice place overall but won't be back.
- Great Saturday DateJamesITNerdDined on 8/23/2014My first visit was great. Booked on Open Table. Made it there just a few minutes before our time and were seated shortly, while it was very busy. My date and I were sat at the best table and treated accordingly. The Crab and Artichoke dip with Peta chips was a great way to start the evening. My date had the Lobster pasta and I had the Flounder with Brussels sprouts. The taste was amazing and we decided to get a bottle of Cabernet with dinner, which was one of the better bottles of wine we've had recently. They corked the bottle for us and the leftovers will provide a nice second meal. Excellent experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Too Loud!nicknameunknownDined on 8/23/2014We have been to Avenues Bistro several times and always really love the food. However, we have never been there when it was really busy. We just went there on a Saturday evening and the noise level was deafening! It made our visit miserable. Also, while the brussell sprouts were fabulous, we found that the other sides were all carbs. For those of us watching our carbs, it left us little to choose from. We did order the carrots (the only other vegetable available) and they were not cooked enough.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great as usualyumminessDined on 8/18/2014I love the happy hour menu and selection at Avenues. There is rarely a wait on Monday & Tuesday nights. Go check it out!Special Features:
- My Favorite RestaurantBERGRVIPDined on 8/17/2014If there is such a thing as a "Go-To" restaurant where you can go ANYTIME and completely enjoy the food, the service, the ambience - then this is MY "go-to" restaurant. Once again, I enjoyed brunch at Avenue's. Of course, I will return again and again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Did wellcopperasDined on 8/17/2014we came in for a family brunch with a two year old and an 8 week old plus.....8 grown ups. the restaurant could not have done betterSpecial Features:
- Delicious lunchOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 8/15/2014Terrific lunch, beautifully presented. Good service.Special Features:
- What a great place!ERBTDined on 8/13/2014Had a wonderful lunch with a friend. We had a lot of catching up to do and this was the perfect location and venue. The food was wonderful, the service was terrific and time flew by as we visited and feasted on the iconic Pom Frites and delicious and creative salads. Our waitron was attentive yet not domineering. This has always been a favorite go to spot for lunch and will continue to be so.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great dining at the "Bistro"PamelaDined on 8/10/2014Loved my recent dining at Avenue Bistro. The food was amazing and every course was better than the previous one. The ambiance is quiet and romantic....great place to dine on Sunday's prior to the start of the Monday work week.Special Features:
- Great brunchPVGalDined on 8/9/2014Had brunch with family. Great food, was very impressed!Special Features:
- Busy & noisyCptkmnDined on 8/8/2014To dine here you must be prepared for a lot of noise and activity. If you are looking for a quiet romantic getaway, this is not the place. Food and pricing is good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bad!!!!!!LuvpugDined on 8/3/2014We had reservations at 12:45 pm at 15 minutes after 1 the gentleman seating had sat two couples that came in way after us. He then sat a walkin before us. When we arrived there was one couple that had reservations waiting to be seated and we would be next!!!! When I said something to the man he could not even remember our name, so we left.He was to busy complaining about people not leaving and not focusing on what he needed to be doing. We have been going here 3 to 4 times a month for years.I will have to find a new place that are more on the ball!!! Why bother with reservations if the staff does not seat you by your reservation.Special Features:
- OLD FAITHFULALWAYSVIPDined on 8/2/2014Food here is ALWAYS exceptional. Wonderfully diverse menu,something on the menu to satisfy any palate. Service is always superior. Very accommodating to handicapped person. A great evening!Special Features:
- AvenuesBistroPattiMDined on 8/2/2014Our food was outstanding, from appetizer to dessert. Priced are great - we will definitely be returning.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food & Tasty Surprise PortOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/2/2014The food quality and portions on the lobster ravioli was great. The 40 year Taylor tawny port was pricey but worth it, a very generous pour...I'm going to seek out a bottle for home! Service was a tad disappointing as he didn't keep the table wiped down and we had the full experience of app's, entrees, dessert and after dinner drinks.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A great night at the Avenue BistroChitownGeoDined on 8/1/2014Just moving from Chicago our expectations shave been mixed about K.C. dining. The Bistro was wonderful, the food choices were very tasty and our server Giovanni was perfect. Thank you Avenues Bistro, see you again soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food!julcliffDined on 8/1/2014I went with a group of 7 ladies and everyone loved their dinner. I had the artichoke and lobster flatbread...so good. For an appetizer we had the bacon-wrapped dates which sounded very odd, but they were amazing!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DeliciousyumminessDined on 7/29/2014Food was great. The Happy Hour menu is fantastic! Sangrias are the best in town.Special Features:
- Sunday BrunchgorillaDined on 7/27/2014Sunday Brunch at Avenues is a really good bargain and the food is wonderful. $12.99 for all you can eat plus you can add several options for additional $1, $2 or $3. Always too full to eat the additional choice but we take it home so for a few bucks more you can enjoy 2 meals instead of one. Also, bottomless mimosa, bloody mary or screwdriver for $8.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never a bad meal - always a delightOldduranieDined on 7/27/2014Just love this bistro - economical when you need it to be, always delicious. We brag on Avenues and bring in new "recruits" all the time and are never let down. It appeals to many different tastes and generations, though I wouldn't suggest for kids unless you are teaching them to have a sophisticated palate from the start. Cannot recommend it enough!Special Features:
- A little disappointedSavvyDined on 7/27/2014I have always had such a great experience dining at Avenues so when it came time to suggest a place for my Mother In law's 90th birthday I thought Avenues! What a disappointment! We called ahead to have drinks waiting at the table for a toast, didn't happen & we had to wait about 10 minutes for the last drink to arrive to do the toast. No silverware, slow delivery of food, dirty dishes from brunch plates slow to be removed, had to ask for coffee refills. Lastly, I had called the afternoon before to have a little surprise at the end and they offered the flourless chocolate cake. How exciting I thought a little something to recognize the day. Didn't happen and was only delivered after the check we had to ask for. Up your game!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.