1331 Pennsylvania Ave. NW
Washington, DC 20004Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.marriott.com/hotels/travel/wasjw-jw-marriott-hotel-pennsylvania-avenue/
- Phone: (202) 626-6970
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast: Monday - Friday: 6:30am - 11:00am, Saturday - 6:30am - 11.30 am , Sunday: 6:30am - 11.30 am
Breakfast Buffet: Monday - Friday: 6:30 am - 11:30 am, Saturday - Sunday: 6:30am - 12:00 noon
Lunch: Monday - Friday and Sunday: 11:30am - 3:00pm .
Saturday: 11.30 am - 5.00 pm
Dinner: Daily: 5:00 pm - 10:00 pm daily
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Seafood, American
- Executive Chef: Adam Salyer
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Avenue Grill
Avenue Grill is located at the corner of 14th St. & Pennsylvania Avenue inside the JW Marriott. Its design celebrates the history of America’s Main Street & its cuisine features classic American food & wine. Angus steaks & fresh seafood accompanied by creative appetizers & great salads are complimented by an extensive wine list prepared by our J.W. Wine Ambassadors.Continued
The restaurant offers a 20% discount on food between 5 pm and 6.45 pm if you present your theater ticket from the same day to the server.
The restaurant offers a 20% discount on food between 5 pm and 6.45 pm if you present your theater ticket from the same day to the server.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Avenue Grill reviews from OpenTable diners
17 reviews since July 29, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
great for lunch (7)good for groups (7)special occasion (5)neighborhood gem (5)kid-friendly (3)late-night find (3)hot spot (3)fit for foodies (3)notable wine list (2)romantic (1)vibrant bar scene (1)great for brunch (1)Show More
- ReneeWVIPDined on 11/24/2014My favorites are the Chesapeake Crab Bisque on their Spring/Summer menu and the Crab & Corn Chowder on their Fall/Winter menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Avenue GrillUmojaDined on 11/8/2014I chose Avenue Grill, for our group of nine, because of its proximity to the UMOJA Performance at the National Theatre. We were greeted immediately and seated. Hanna was our quiet, polite, and efficient waiter. Delicious fried calamari appetizer came out fresh and hot before we could even blink our eyes. The dish had not been sitting on a warmer somewhere. Some ordered the crab cake sandwich and enjoyed it. Another, while she did not totally dislike the lobster mac n’ cheese, found it a bit lacking in flavor. Good Grilled Block Island Sword Fish, even if the grilled pepper chutney wasn’t what I thought it would be; still tasty. The broccoli that accompanied the dish was terrible; couldn’t eat it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- outstanding food and serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 10/30/2014Food was delectable, very well prepared and presented. Flavors were unique and distinct. Desserts were amazing. Service was attentive. A little noisy when we went due to a very large party, but they all seemed to be enjoying the experience of dining there also. Wish I lived in DC so that I could eat here again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SurprisingOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 9/19/2014We went here for a late night meal after checking into the Marriott hotel where the restaurant is located. We had salad and apps. The food was really quite good and was presented nicely. The server Helen was lovely. The decor is typical Marriott bland. The wine list is adequate. The bread that was served was bakery quality great.
- Great place!!!ReneeWVIPDined on 8/20/2014The food and service were very good. Convenient location, walking distance to my office.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 121 reviews are from the Avenue Grill reviews archive.
- Nice evening outOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/26/2014We were celebrating our wedding anniversary and the entire staff went out of their way to make our evening special. They gave us some tasty nice surprises. We were seated away from others, and it was quiet and private, which is want we wanted. The food was delicious and the service excellent. We can't thank them enough for helping to make our evening a special one.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Marriott's Excellence in ActionDiningbuddiesDined on 6/6/2014The food was excellent (crab cakes and duck). We loved the assortment of bread before the meal. We were going to National Theatre that evening so the convenience of being located next door was perfect . The best part of our experience was the excellent service that Liscome provided . We knew with his first words that he was going to live up to Marriott's quality service . He was professional and excellent in every way. We definitely felt like we were valued as diners . He really made our evening . He represents Marriott well ! Worth going just to have Liscome as your waiter!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- So-sodiningratingsDined on 6/5/2014We dined at this establishment because of its proximity to The National Theatre. The food was fair, not great and not horrible. The service was slow though the staff was quite friendly. For the cost of the meal we expected much better. Next time we will try one of the other partner restaurants to the theatre.Special Features:
- Good VibeMitchDined on 5/17/2014The restaurant had a good vibe. We went for grad celebration. Staff was accommodating and the food was good. .Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food just okay. Value deficit.artmaven41Dined on 4/27/201425. Brunch, not including booze. Had a Bloody Mary that was all bloody; no Mary. Food decent. Not great. Atmosphere nice. Great location. Step it up, Marriott! Could be terrificSpecial Features:
- Overpriced average foodXRDmanVIPDined on 4/14/2014Can't say I would go back but if you just want to stay in, sure you may have dinner here. There was nothing wow! about the food except price. One person ordered the three cheese pasta, which was not appealing and looked dry. It was described as being just ok. I had the lamb shank and though tasted well it appeared to have been previously frozen. It was ok. The mashed potatoes were lacking on flavor and were dry. Kids Mac and cheese was also dry and just ok. This was a $200 dinner, not worth at at all that kind of money.
- Good mixed drinks, out of beerOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/12/2014Went in to grab a bite to eat and relex after a long day of walking. Menu selection is limited, but also all over the place in regards to theme or speciality. Service was very poor. Took nearly 45 minutes to just get our bill.
- Great food but in hotel lobbyLive2EatVIPDined on 4/5/2014The service and food were excellent, but if you're a local like me you may not appreciate the restaurants layout. We felt like we were in the lobby hotel. Highly recommend the food; and if you enjoy a well made cocktail, do order one of the martinis.
- Perfect before a showMarcDined on 4/5/2014Great experience before seeing Hal Holbrook doing Mark Twain, but the locale is perfect before any. Show at the National TheaterSpecial Features:
- VERY convenient to National TheatreBigRubeVIPDined on 4/5/2014We chose this restaurant because it's right by the National Theatre, but we'll be back because the food was good and, mostly, plentiful. I especially loved the grilled artichoke. However, if service had been a bit faster, there might have been time for dessert.Special Features:
- My only negative comment relatesBirthdayGirlsx3Dined on 3/28/2014My only negative comment relates to the wine list. Outrageously overpriced. A $13.99 bottle of Pinot Noir was $48. Very limted selections under $40. Service was great and food was good.I would recommend this to a friend.
- pamypamyDined on 3/17/2014It's the restaurant for the hotel. We sat in the bar area where there were tables. The fireplace was very welcome and warm. The food was good. The ambiance was a little corporate. Good for a low key dinner.Special Features:
- GREAT FOR CLIENT ENTERTAINING!!!!CharlieDined on 2/25/2014That should be one of your choices on the "recommendations". We take our clients out to a variety of restaurants in DC, and many of them are just too loud for pleasant business conversations. Avenue Grill really works to accommodate our party and any necessary changes in size, to cater to our specific food requirements, and to keep a calm pleasant environment conducive do doing business.Special Features:
- A restaurant with real serviceCeCeDined on 2/23/2014I enjoyed the experience I had at the Avenue Grill. It is always a pleasure to eat at an establishment that has excellent service. The food was delicious and the service was great!! I will return.Special Features:
- Good food and serviceDJonthetownDined on 2/22/2014For the Washingtonian crowds and out of towners, this is a chic and friendly spot. Food might be considered pricey, but the service and atmosphere is great!Special Features:
- Before the ShowLaLaDined on 2/9/2014I walk with a walker now, and don't get downtown to a show very often, so I decided to splurge and go to the Avenue Grill before going to see STOMP. It was so convenient. Close to the theater and we even found parking for free out front! The food was delicious and the wait starr superb.Special Features:
- A very fine restaurant in Wash.D.C.gwbnycDined on 1/14/2014My partner and I visit Washington D.C. once or twice a year for a transportation conference that I attend. Over the years we became acquainted with the Avenue Grill in the J.W. Marriott Hotel, just north of the Treasury. The restaurant has excellent service, very fine food, and is good value for the service and quality of food. The dining room is lined with upholstered booths on one side and we believe that keeps the noise level low for people seated in the booths. The wine list is extensive. The dinner menu offers a variety of meats and fish. Unfortunately the profiteroles on the dessert menu vanished a couple of years ago, leaving us with fruit tarts. This place is highly recommended but please bring back the profiteroles.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Zombie maître d'OpenTable Diner Since 2013VIPDined on 12/28/2013The MD was at first absent then cold and distant. Then it took too long to get just water on the table. We had Sazeracs to start. Potent, but cheap bourbon instead of rye. Waitress was attentive and the food, when it finally arrived was good. It's close to National Thester, its chief virtue.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Night OutSmoothDined on 12/21/2013I was looking for a great restaurant to enjoy a night out with my wife. We had a great meal before going to the ballet at the Warner Theatre – DC. Needless to say the service was friendly and the waiter made great recommendations. They made me look like I really knew what I was doing. My wife was very pleased.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FYI's are neededangryDined on 12/11/2013We arrived at Avenue Grill, only to find that a private party had rented out the entire restaurant. Even though I had a reservation, we were not allowed in. We had to eat at the bar.
- Great for a pre-theatre dinnerRebeccaVIPDined on 12/6/2013Husband and I ate here before seeing If/Then at the National Theatre next door. We both steaks that were huge and expertly prepared. As a bonus, if you show your theatre tickets, you get a special bonus that is definitely worthwhile. Highly recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Nice SurpriseJilesVIPDined on 12/4/2013We tried the Avenue Grill for a pre-theatre dinner mainly because it was right down the block from the National Theatre. Our expectations were not high because the restaurant is in the nearby Marriott. What a nice surprise! The food and service were really outstanding. We both ordered steak, one rare and the other medium rare - each came perfectly cooked and very tender and tasty. The asparagus and potatoes were also excellent and cooked just right. And the Meyer Lemon crème brulee was likewise perfect. The service both at reception and at table was attentive and courteous. This is a nice find, and we will be back.I would recommend this to a friend.
- good for pre-theatermdiciccoVIPDined on 11/29/2013went here before a show at the Warner Theater. good selections, everything was fine. it took a little longer to come out of the kitchen than expected but we were plenty early for the event.
- quiet respite for a weary travelerdctravelerDined on 11/12/2013It was nice to find this quiet restaurant after traveling all day. The food was good, the crab soup especially, very hot and nice for a blustery day outsideSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- National Theater findWineYahooVIPDined on 11/12/2013A very convenient place to take pre-theater dinner, and the food was good; service excellent.I would recommend this to a friend.
- We ate at this restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 11/8/2013We ate at this restaurant because of its proximity to the National Theater and it was recommended by the National Theater in the valet notice. However, despite the 20% discount because we had tickets for the National Theater, I would not recommend this restaurant. Their service was poor. Everything arrived late except the bill. The bread did not arrive until after we had ordered and had our drinks for awhile. They never refilled the water glasses. The timing between courses was too long. And then the server gave us the bill without letting us order dessert or coffee. We had told the restaurant it was our anniversary dinner. They did present us with some chocolate dipped strawberries in recognition of our celebration.
- Good Food, Poor ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/8/2013While the food at the Avenue was fine, several items on the menu at the restaurant did not match the one online. More importantly, the service was incredibly slow. The waitress was courteous, but my party waited for over an hour before receiving our entree. They ended up giving us a 20% discount for the inconvenience. I would not recommend it if you plan on doing anything else that night.
- WelcomingJayBirdVIPDined on 11/7/2013Host was exceptionally nice and personable. Sat in room with fireplace--very cozy. Food and service very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent RestaurantHomecook100VIPDined on 11/3/2013This is a really good restaurant for a hotel restaurant. The bone-in Ribeye was as good as it gets.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LoudLB01VIPDined on 10/23/2013Food was okay, very loud and not conducive to conversation.
- Food was so-so and menu wasVisitorDined on 10/10/2013Food was so-so and menu was not the same as the on-line posted menu. We were disappointed in the limited fish/seafood options offered.Special Features:
- OK for Hotel-based EatingDCWorkerDined on 10/1/2013Not an impressive array of food, but ok for a hotel-based establishment. Service was pretty slow - the hostess had to offer us drinks. And it was not busy by any stretch of the imagination. The dessert tart that came to the table was cold - should have been warm. Probably wouldn't return to eat here - plenty of other options in the area that have better food.
- Avenue Grill DinnerBPFJRVIPDined on 8/24/2013Staff could not be more accommodating. Service was good, food was average. Excellent steak and lamb.
- Wish We'd Eaten Someplace ElseOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/22/2013This restaurant inside the Marriott near the White House looked great online...but the actual menu differed greatly, with fewer offerings. It took more than a few minutes for our waitress to arrive. The place was eerily quiet. Every once in a while we'd see a server go past but not sure where they were going, maybe delivering room service. We were the lone guests. After our waitress took our order, she didn't come back. Angus burger was not cooked to order, was dry. Waitress offered to get another. Second burger basically the same, but I ate it. After another extended absence she returned. Willnot recommend this place.
- The experience was okay. IOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/17/2013The experience was okay. I went during lunch and it took a little longer for the food to come than I expected. The food was good.Special Features: