36 Grand Avenue
London, ON N6C 1K8Neighborhood:
InternationalPrice: CAN$31 to CAN$50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.idlewyldinn.com/
- Phone: 5194332891
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast: Monday - Friday: 7:00am - 10:00am
Saturday - Sunday: 8:00am - 11:00am
Brunch: Sunday: 11:00am - 2:00pm
Lunch: Sunday - Friday: 11:00am - 3:00pm
Saturday: 11:30am - 2:00pm
Dinner: Tuesday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Afternoon Tea, Contemporary European, International
- Executive Chef: Alfred Estephan
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Beer, Chef's Table, High Tea, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Private Room, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Avenue Dining
Avenue Dining, located at Idlewyld - London's Historic Boutique Hotel. Featuring simple, yet elegant cuisine and a strong focus on sourcing local and seasonal ingredients.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Avenue Dining reviews from OpenTable diners
- One of the bestAnniversaryCelebrantsDined on 8/31/2013We tend to eat out often and are quite discerning about fine dining and one of us has food challenges through diet choices Vegetarian, and allergies such as dairy, shellfish coffee etc. The Avenue catered magically to those needs as well as my more meatatarion nature. The food whether the heritage tomato salad or the main entrees was perfectly prepared and attractively served. Ed went out of his way to welcome us, serve us and then give us a tour of this wonderful historic property. It is a small dining room with a gracious porch (seasonal) and a beautiful rear patio area for late night snacks and drinks. Overall food, service, and graciousness of the surroundings this was an over the top dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Somehow the restaurant wasmitchDined on 8/16/2013Somehow the restaurant was not aware of the change in reservation that I made online. Changed time from 7pm to 6pm. Luckily this didn't pose a problem. Will absolutely be dining there again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great PatiomjwlondonDined on 8/16/2013Booked for lunch as I had a gift certificate which i wanted to use and thought a Friday afternoon was a perfect time. As soon as we entered we were greeted at the desk and taken immediately to our table in the courtyard. Staff were very quick and professional. We ordered the quiche of the day (green pea?) and the applewood pork sandwich. the quiche looked great but we both thought the addition of peas sounded odd and it was. The pork on the sandwich was nice and tender, but very sparse...they could have easily tripled the amount without it being excessive. Overall the meal without appettizers or drinks came to $50.... a bit on the high side. The atmosphere and service is great but they need to up their game on the food itself.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- fabulous expereincefoodie58Dined on 8/14/2013I brought my sister and her husband here for dinner while they were visitng from out of town. My sister is a vegetarian and her husband is a meat lover. They could not say enough about the wonderful food and the presentation for each course. I've since received 3 different messages- email, handwritten note and a phone message saying how much they enjoyed the restaurant and the evening! Thank you.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely hotel and restaurantdatenightVIPDined on 8/9/2013We stopped by this highly rated restaurant on our way from Detroit to Toronto. The setting was lovely; a restored mansion/hotel. It was quiet; few other diners were present on a Friday night, which was surprising. The food quality and presentation were excellent, and the wine suggestions by our server were spot-on.Special Features:
- A pleasant experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/18/2013Went to Avenue Dining for an anniversary dinner. Nice, intimate spot - loved the ambience of the Idlewyld and the opportunity to eat on the front porch overlooking the garden on a beautiful day. Food was good without being spectacular. The presentation was well done. Portions were a bit on the small side for what you pay, and there wasn't really a "wow-factor" with respect to the menu/selections for any of the courses. Our server was attentive but seemed really nervous. Altogether, a pleasant dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful food experienceMaddieDined on 7/16/2013Decided to have a birthday lunch for a friend, booked the table on line, lots of room for 8 people in a small dining room on the side. The food experience was an all round amazing experience and the service was impeccable. Too many wonderful options to choose from but every invitee was impressed with the quality and presentation but most importantly the taste of the food. I would highly recommend Avenue.Special Features:
- Poor serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/7/2013Planned a birthday brunch for my elderly mother. They did not have our reservation and we had to wait while they made-up a table. We were lead partially into the restaurant, but not all the way to our table, so the 6 of us were left standing in the middle of the restaurant, puzzled as to where we go next and which table was ours. I tracked down the original waitress and nearby wait-staff, who then resolved the issue and seated us. The brunch menu was very different than what was posted on-line the night before - much less selection as well. No good kid options either. The waitress did not easily answer questions or offer options. At 11:30 AM, they were already out of peameal bacon. Very disappointing service, for such a nice venue.
- Dinner Reviewarluv2dineDined on 6/29/2013Had a wonderful time, the service and food where great. Our table was outside, nice atmosphere. Would go back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 20 anniversary20anniversaryDined on 5/15/2013We went for lunch on a weekday. I would say it is likely the best meal I have had in many years! The food was exceptional, fresh, interesting and very flavourful. We were overwhelmed by the quality of the meal and friendly attentive service. Portions were appropriate, left the table full, but no waste. Could not leave a bit behind because it was truly delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wedding AnniversaryOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 5/4/2013We wanted to celebrate our 3rd wedding anniv at avenue because we always had a great experience . Having the pleasure of knowing Marcel, we knew that we would be pampered by the service and the amazingg menu! Thank you Deb Shaver and Rob HamiltonSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect Dinner ExperienceDoctorFineDined on 5/3/2013Great setting within old London home (which by the way has history). Is also an inn. Dinner menu was exciting and preparation was delightful - visually appealing but also very much a gustatory delight! Would and expect to revisit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wayne's ReferenceWBsChoiceDined on 5/3/2013My girlfriend and I enjoyed a leisurely Friday afternoon lunch on the patio, shaded by some beautiful trees but warmed by the spring sun. The new menu allowed for several good choices, the srevices was personal and excellent and the overall ambiance and experience, most enjoyable. Would definitely come again and would like to try out Sunday brunch or a late evening dinner. A true neighbourhood gem!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent setting for a laterOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/4/2013Excellent setting for a later dinner (7.30)!!!!!!!!!Special Features:
- The food is amazing (ate pastAngelNDined on 3/19/2013The food is amazing (ate past the point of pain) and very reasonably priced.Special Features:
- Wonderful experience. ExcellentOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/9/2013Wonderful experience. Excellent dry gin martinis, sweetbreads were marvelous as were the scallops. The steak was worth of Hy's, the short rib portion was generous and favourful. The creme brule was heavenly and the sticky pudding a lovely choice for a snowy winter night.Special Features:
- Loved, loved, loved it!!OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 1/30/2013Loved, loved, loved it!! Our server Ed was fantastic. Atmosphere was amazing and they accommodated our group of 8 in our own room. We dined during the Londonlicious promotion and although busy, the service couldn't have been better.Special Features:
- Great Christmas Day dinner.OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 12/25/2012Great Christmas Day dinner. Scallops and prime rib were spot on. Interested to go back for regular dinner menu.Special Features:
- In a nutshell, although weOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 12/9/2012In a nutshell, although we received great service, it was not of the calibre I am accustomed to experiencing from the Idlewyld. We were a large group (fourteen guests), celebrating a special occasion. Both our waiter and the kitchen seemed a bit overwhelmed by the size of our group, despite my having made the reservation roughly two weeks prior. As guests of honour, my fiancee and I should have been served first; we were served drinks first but my fiancee's entree was served dead last and her eggs were not cooked to her satisfaction. To Idlewyld's credit, they realised their mistakes and covered the cost of her meal without any prompting from us. Overall, we enjoyed our experience and will continue to dine there in the future.Special Features:
- Cosy charm in old Victorian houseOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 12/7/2012An excellent restaurant in London, Ontario. The menu is quite traditional but everything is prepared well and is very tasty. The atmosphere is very charming in this historic building. Service is attentive and friendly. So far, it is my favourite place in London to take my Mom out to dinner.Special Features:
- Our group of 11 came for lunch.OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/30/2012Our group of 11 came for lunch. Our reservation was for 12:30, our lunch entrees came at 2:00. The service was slow and most of our guest voiced their opinion about this fact, which made me, the organizer increasingly uncomfortable. The reservation was booked under a business, but all the guest receipts were individualized. We were never asked if it was under one bill, which unfortunately I assumed would be the case. One of our guests had to be somewhere for two o'clock and I requested her salad be boxed as she did not have time to eat it at the restaurant. I'm sure plated the salad would have looked wonderful, in a box, this $12.00 salad looked overpriced.Special Features:
- Excellent...ambiance great...menuOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 11/14/2012Excellent...ambiance great...menu outstanding......staff beyond exceptional....made you feel very important Recommend for any occasion especially special ones.....can cater to groups as wellSpecial Features:
- High Tea at The Idlewyld InnOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/10/2012As we entered the lobby of this lovely old Inn, for High Tea, we were greeted with a warm and welcoming smile of the receptionist. She informed us that our table was ready f and all we needed to do was to go into the dinning room and sit down. As soon as we were settled in our chairs the waiter came over and asked us what we would like to drink. He then listed off the teas available. A few minutes after he brought us our tea, he then brought us a 3 tiered set of plates. The top plate held two scrumptious, whole grain, warm scones. The second plate had many different savories. And the third plate had traditional sweet squares and fruit. My guest remarked that this tea was the best she had ever had. Even better than The Four Seasons.Special Features:
- A gem of a find off the beaten pathOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 11/7/2012Great find in the London area.Attached to a beautiful century hotel.Food was very tastey and prepared with care.Presentation was outstanding and the attentive service was impeccable.Our Waiter was informative but not intrusive.We will definitely dine again and stay at the hotel.I would highly suggest the opportunity to dine at Avenue restaurant.Special Features:
- Very nice meal with superbOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/3/2012Very nice meal with superb service. The only issue was the disproportionate sizes of the meals; one was huge and the other rather small. It would be nice if the quantity of food were as consistent as the quality.
- http://www.tripadvisor.ca/ShowUserROpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/2/2012Not an inexpensive night, but well worth it. 2 people. Apps, mains, desserts, drinks with all courses, $200. Food was fancy but not pretentious, service was thorough without being intrusive. Certainly recommended to anyone!!!Special Features:
- definitely a gem in the middleOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/1/2012definitely a gem in the middle of London. Food is superb, service is wonderful and the atmosphere is elegant. This is a pleasant get away from the hustle and bustle of the chain restaurants. highly reccomend this to anyone!Special Features:
- Idyllwild Inn Review 2012.10.21OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/27/2012I have dined at this venue a few times before and, while the food was very good, the menu wasn't as inspired as previously. In fact, the menu online was different from what was actually offered, which was a bit disappointing as it limited choices.Special Features:
- Great place to eat ,everythingOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/26/2012Great place to eat ,everything was cooked to order,would go back to eat in a heart beat!!!!Special Features:
- Excellent dinning experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/18/2012Excellent dinning experience great food and wonderful service. A great place for any occasion.Special Features:
- Delightful Brunch!FoodiliciousDined on 10/7/2012The. dining room was very comfortable.So much so that we ended up sitting and talking over coffee long after we should have left.(nobody was waiting).The staff were very professional and the food presentation was very nice. While our orders were good it was a little on the bland side.We would definitely return for another meal.Special Features:
- Young Foodie is not disappointed!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/7/2012After a disappointing rejection at the now famous Church Key restaurant (They were closed for Thanksgiving! ) I was worried about how to entertain a Sophisticated world traveling foodie nephew. I remembered a colleague telling me of the Avenue Dining Restaurant. I have not been back to the Idlewild in in over 20 years. I do remember how beautiful the grounds were . My young nephew and his wife were delighted at this quaint, elegant and sophisticated venue. The brunch menu was delectable, and we were delighted at the gluten-free options. The wait staff were exemplary, the wine selection was excellent And the food was perfectly prepared It was a delightful morning brunch thoroughly enjoyed by all.A four-star rating.Special Features:
- Fabulous find!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/6/2012Quaint and cozy. Elegantly appointed and the food was amazing! Service outstanding!Special Features:
- Had dinner here while stayingChicagoSueVIPDined on 9/25/2012Had dinner here while staying at Idlewyld. There were two large private parties also having dinner and so I want to note that this might have stressed the kitchen and service. I had the pork loin which was delicious and my husband had a filet which was equally good. My husband started with a tomato and goat cheese salad which he also enjoyed. I saved myself for dessert (creme brulee) which was only so-so and was a very small portion given the price. Service seemed very slow to us. This is a lovely restaurant in a beautiful inn and we may have caught it on an off night.Special Features:
- I had dinner in their courtyardOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/12/2012I had dinner in their courtyard on a delightful late summer evening. The waiter was knowledgeable and attentive. The food was excellent. This was my first time dining at the Avenue but I will definitely return.Special Features:
- Absolutly Incredible!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/7/2012This was my fourth time at this restaurant, and as always it was fabulous!! The food quality and service are consistently excellent. Staff are very knowledgeable and friendly. Food is always incredible. The atmosphere is very relaxing and inviting; nice for romantic dinners or a fun dinner with friends. I enjoyed the tomato salad to start, followed by the beef tenderloin, and the coconut tart for dessert. All were delicious! And not to be forgotten is the freshly baked bread. We were lucky enough to sample three different kinds: sundried tomato, beet, and oat and honey. The beet bread was my favorite, it had a nice hint of sweetness to it! Definitely one of my most favorite restaurants and I can't wait to return!Special Features:
- Both my wife and I thoroughlyOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/24/2012Both my wife and I thoroughly enjoyed all our meals here. Not only were they more than enough to fill our bellies but they were very well presented and all their ingredients were fresh and from local sources. We will continue to eat here whenever we return to London.Special Features:
- We had lunch on the patio,OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/24/2012We had lunch on the patio, very nice and our waiter was very attentive but seemed rushed as he was the only one waiting on the tables. Thank you.Special Features:
- Perfect for a special occasionOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/18/2012Avenue is a beautiful old home converted into a niche inn and restaurant. Beautiful architecture and attentive staff. For our appetisers I chose the seedling salad misted with an elderberry vinigrette and topped with goat cheese - delightful. My husband chose the oxtail soup - not as good - he said it was overloaded with meat but that included fat and grissle. For our entre we both chose the Wellington County beef tenderloin. It came with a new potato and julienned vegetables. The meat was cooked to perfection - very tasty. While the potato and vegetables were sufficient for me my husband would have liked an additional potatoe. The fresh bread they served was very nice. We didn't stay for dessert.Special Features:
- This is a charming old estateOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/8/2012This is a charming old estate that has been turned into an Inn. The restaurant is small and intimate. The quality of food is wonderful. i had the lobster cub. It was a perfect size and the flavors were lovely and fresh! I would highly recommend this restaurant. The staff are friendly and accomedating . There is a nice selections of wines available.Special Features: