12 North Meramec Avenue
Clayton, MO 63105Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.avestl.com/
- Phone: (314) 727-4141
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Thursday: 7am-10pm
bar menu until 11pm
Friday: 7am - 11pm
bar menu until midnight
Saturday: 8am - 11pm
bar menu until midnight
Sunday: 8am - 9pm
bar menu until 10pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Bar / Lounge / Bottle Service, American, Contemporary French
- Executive Chef: Bryan Carr
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Custom menus available for breakfast, lunch, dinner, brunch and receptions.
- Special Events: Rehearsal dinners
Bridal and baby showers
Other private events
A word from Avenue
Welcome to Avenue. We’ve taken what was best about Pomme Restaurant and Pomme Cafe & Wine Bar and have combined them in one space.A friendly welcome, a generous spirit and considerate attention come together at Avenue Restaurant. We are here every day from early morning until late at night. We are here for good things to eat and drink, friendly and attentive service and to provide a welcoming place. Our intent is to tempt you. Our aim is your comfort and satisfaction.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeigborhood Gem
Avenue - Best Restaurants in Clayton ›
Avenue reviews from OpenTable diners
41 reviews since July 29, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (30)neighborhood gem (24)special occasion (18)romantic (12)notable wine list (11)great for lunch (5)hot spot (5)great for brunch (4)vibrant bar scene (4)great for outdoor dining (3)good for groups (3)late-night find (2)Show More
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/21/2014We will definitely go back to Avenue. The food was perfectly prepared and delicious. The night we were there the service needed work, but we believe those problems will be worked out since the owners have a lot of restaurant experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- CHEF BRYAN CARR DOES IT AGAINfoodwinenotesVIPDined on 11/20/2014GREAT NEW ADDITION TO CLAYTON DINING! BRYAN CARR'S MENU IS A DELIGHTFUL MIC OF OLD FAVORITES AND NEW ADDITIONS. BOTH TIMES WE HAVE VISITED ITS BEEN PACKED AND THERE IS AN ENERGETIC BUZZ.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best in St. Louisgateway2dineVIPDined on 11/20/2014We have been fans of The Pomme Cafe for many years. Our entire group was vey impressed with our experience at the new incarnation of Pomme Restaurant. The ambiance is appealingly contemporary, the food was on a par with the best of New York and the service was excellantly experienced. Bravo and bon chance!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FormerwaiterDined on 11/17/2014Evertything was very good, though we didn't get any bread and my water was never refilled.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very disappointingOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/14/2014We waited 20 minutes for the waiter to come and ask us if we wanted a drink, after ordering a bottle of wine five minutes went by until he returned asking us again what wine we ordered. I will never order anything again that the waiter tells me that they only have two of these dishes left it had obviously been plated hours before then reheated the problem was the dish was supper hot but not the food and if tasted terrible, I only had two bites my wife's salad had so much dressing on it it seemed to be swimming in it. At the prices they are charging food should be cooked fresh and service should be prompt!
- Avenue reviewFoodsnobDined on 11/12/2014As a frequent dinner at Pomme Cafe I am very happy that Avenue has kept many of its features. The new space, menu, and service were very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great transitionssfpdoVIPDined on 11/10/2014I am happy to see how this new place has encorporated some staples from Pomme and how it is taking a new direction in the menu with a great variety of good foodSpecial Features:
- Newcomer is a winner!LorryDined on 11/8/2014WE always loved Pomme and when we heard it was closing, we were surprised. But Avenue isn't a rebirth of Pomme but rather a new, hip, restaurant of its own with a few Pomme favorite dishes. The menu is more modern as is the decor, more casual, and wallet-friendly. Highly recommend Avenue.Special Features:
- Great openingMikeVIPDined on 11/7/2014Here for opening night. Although Avenue is the result of combining two previous restaurants it really needs to be judged on its own. It features two dining rooms and a bar with table seating. The dining menu is contemporary with several old-time French dishes which is to be expected since that is Chef Bryan Carr's specialty. The cassoulet was excellent. The house pate on the starters list was hardly just pate -- it featured pate, mousse, and rillette. Ambience would have scored higher were the overhead lights turned lower with perhaps some candles on the tables. In addition, a beautiful fireplace in the room wasn't in use. Many restaurants could only hope that their regular service was as good as this opening night service.Special Features:
- Cant wait for it to re-openDisCERNingDinerVIPDined on 9/13/2014We love this place and definitely wanted to eat there again before they closed. As expected, it was wonderful. We stopped for a glass of wine inthe wine bar prior to dinner and enjoyed that as well. They will be re-opening under a different name so we are looking forward to that.Special Features:
- Cozy and great foodstarsobaDined on 9/12/2014We expected the food to be good, and it was. Bonus: we weren't overwhelmed by loud music that makes conversation impossible. The trend toward "bright" noise levels is a deal-breaker for us. We have crossed a number of good restaurants off our list because they're to loud.Special Features:
- it's movingsamuelchunVIPDined on 9/12/2014The food was excellent as always. Service was also excellent as always. They say they are moving over to the next block to consolidate their two sites on Central Ave into one, and changing their name in the process. Given the turnover we typically see with Clayton restaurants, this one has to be one of the most stable ever. Wishing it a long and happy life as "Avenues" (I think that's what the new name will be) - we will continue to be loyal customers.Special Features:
- One of the bestEastsiderVIPDined on 9/10/2014Pomme has been one of the top restaurants in the area for many years. Every meal was special. The service peefect and the wine superb. Brian is the best owner / chef most people never heard of. He lets the Ponme experience speak for him. Great guy tooSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing experienceclee315VIPDined on 8/26/2014My fiancé and I chose this restaurant while in St. Louis for a romantic dinner. It exceeded our expectations. We will definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- $30 for corkage???GlutenfreedinerVIPDined on 8/9/2014Really, $30? For a place that has average tasting food and reasonable menu prices they certainly overcharge for corkage. Doubtful that'd we ever go back.
- Expensive and not greatRallyhbmDined on 8/8/2014I took my parents there for a nice dinner. The service was slow. I had to flag down the waiter on 2 occasions. The chairs were uncomfortable. My cucumber soup was OK, not great. The salmon smelled fishy and tasted fishy with poor flavor. I rarely ever do this, but I went ahead and asked the waiter to take it away, at which point he reminded me it was "wild salmon so it might taste different." I'm quite familiar with wild salmon and found his explanation annoying. I asked for the ravioli instead, and found the gravy on the ravioli way too salty and the ball of spinach inside chewy. My parents said their meals were really good (filet mignon and duck). Wine was good. So perhaps it is hit and miss. Given the price, however, will not return.
- A good time was had by all!CbizzleDined on 7/22/2014We had a group of six and we all really enjoyed our meals! Almost everyone had something different and everyone was delighted with the food, wine and service.Special Features:
- The following 17 reviews are from the Avenue reviews archive.
- Here on restaurant week.LoveToEatDined on 7/18/2014Tried all three choices: the fish was ok, not that special; the steak was great, tender and juicy with good favor; the pork was nice, well made. The dessert was excellent, creative and great combination. The service was great except she forgot our coffee.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FlynnDined on 7/17/2014Pomme is a gem in the heart of downtown Clayton on Central Ave. Dinner was EXCELLENT. My wife who is a picky eater decided to be bold and try the Norwegian style Sole. It was outstanding. The sauce was light but very tasty. I had the sirloin with red and green peppers and it was excellent. The dessert of chocolate cake was the perfect finish. Our waiter was personable and prompt. All very well done.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, superb serviceCindyVIPDined on 7/12/2014The restaurant is small and charming. Our server was just superb, he knew the menu well and was helpful. The food was delicious. The vegetable pasta was excellent, loaded with wild mushrooms. The wall eye fish was delicate and prepared very well. The flour less chocolate cake was fabulous. The one, small disappointment was the bread. Thank you Pomme for a great nightSpecial Features:
- A gem in claytonOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 7/11/2014Very nice and quiet restaurant that is fit for foodies. Every morsel was delicious and our waiter was very attentive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner with family from out-of-townChowhoundVIPDined on 7/5/2014Another spectacular dining experience at Pomme Restaurant. Five of us had a wonderful time enjoying the salmon, duck, lamb and beef tenderloin. Remarkable carrot-ginger soup served chilled. Amazing pinor noir from Merry Edwards in Sonoma. Always outstanding service, Pomme is one of our very few absolute "go-to" places in St. Louis.Special Features:
- still goodOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 6/27/2014haven't been here in years. Appetizers, salad and dessert all great, but main course just OK. Service very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pomme NEVER DisappointsHardtoPleaseVIPDined on 6/7/2014We consider ourselves very fortunate that Pomme is so conveniently located as we have NEVER had anything other than a great experience there. Inside or out and in all seasons the food and service are exemplary. We always take out of town guests here as we know they will have a truly memorable meal. We're lucky to have this wonderful chef owned gem in Clayton.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- always greatEastsiderVIPDined on 6/6/2014a favorite for many years---quiet relaxing atmosphere, terrific service, outstanding wine list---and the best French food in the city---Pomme and its cousin Atlas are two of the wonderful spots in St. LouisSpecial Features:
- Perfect forpre-Opera TheaterChowhoundVIPDined on 5/30/2014Pomme always delights. Food is always outstanding. Last Friday night, we had the entrees of duck and tenderloin. That wa unusual because obe of us nealry always orders the fish special because fish is one if the chef's best specialties; fish at Pomme is prepared better than most anywhere you can try in St. Louis. The service is always professional - helpful, understated. And the wines are exceptional value -- we had the bordeaux and it was sublime. You cannot miss at Pomme.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not buttoned up.OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/14/2014Food was the best. Service was B-. Valet was D. Wine list was hit and miss--they were out of certain wines.Special Features:
- Very disappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 5/10/2014We made dinner reservations through Open Table more than a week in advance. The woman who greeted us nevertheless could find no record of our reservation on her handwritten reservations list. Despite the fact that the restaurant was nearly empty, she refused to seat us until she checked with someone in the back and then seated us at one of the worst tables in the restaurant. There were no apologies even after I showed her my email confirmation. We were given menus and a wine folder missing the wine list and ignored for a while. Unfortunately, the mixed quality of our food did not make up for the marginal service we received. St. Louis has much better restaurants.
- Great ExperienceEagleriverVIPDined on 5/1/2014Although I thought that the vegetarian entrée portion was a bit small, it was excellent. Prices are strong, but it was worth it.Special Features:
- Good food. Inflexible staffHungryVIPDined on 4/26/2014Great meal, fantastic bread. Odd that restaurant won't let you pick a table for two in an empty restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Everything we hopedAliceMDined on 4/18/2014Husband and I took our daughter and serious beau here to have a nice meal and get to know him. Pomme was perfect. Charming and intimate with no TV blaring! The food was elegant and delicious. Plenty of choices as well as vegetarian. Fab wine list for the oenophile. And a bonus was that the chef paid a visit to our table!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tried something differentOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/12/2014I pass by Pomme nearly every day working in Clayton. But, came to dine at a recommendation of a friend. Special occasion - my birthday. GREAT meal from the soup to the dessert. The wait staff were knowledgeable about the food and the wine. Pasta was truly portional - not over the top like some STL Italian places.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pomme is great!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 4/3/2014We choose Pomme for special occasions, and it never disappoints us. Brian Carr is a wonderful host and always makes us feel special. Everyone's dinner was excellent. Service was great. We'll be back for sure!Special Features: