Aventine Glen Ellen
14301 Arnold Drive #32
Glen Ellen, CA 95442Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $31 to $50
Aventine Glen Ellen
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.aventineglenellen.com/
- Phone: 7079348911x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Tuesday-Sunday: Nightly 4:30pm-Close
Happy Hour: Tuesday 4:30-Close; Wednesday-Sunday 4:30-6:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Adolfo Veronese
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Aventine Glen Ellen
The Third Branch of Aventine opens this Spring in Glen Ellen featuring a full bar, brewery and farm fresh to table dishes by Executive Chef Adolfo Veronese. Located in the historic Grist Mill in Glen Ellen, Chef Adolfo and his partners, Rodrigo Nevado and Gian Paolo Veronese, create a modern interpretation of the Italian Osteria experience where old rustic and familiar style is fused with the bounty of flavors native to beautiful Sonoma. Similar to its predecessors in San Francisco and Hollywood, Aventine Glen Ellen is a place to eat, drink and socialize where everyone feels like familia.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Dining
Aventine Glen Ellen - Best Restaurants in Glen Ellen ›
Aventine Glen Ellen reviews from OpenTable diners
111 reviews since May 23, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (91)neighborhood gem (59)fit for foodies (58)special occasion (43)scenic view (40)romantic (32)vibrant bar scene (30)good for groups (30)notable wine list (26)hot spot (18)kid-friendly (14)great for lunch (8)great for brunch (6)late-night find (4)Show More
- Glen Ellen gem in historic millOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 9/17/2014Food is finally equal to this beautiful location! Great service from friendly and professional staff. The fried risotto balls were savory & tender on inside with a whisper of crunch on the outside. Their special meatball appetizer was meaty and lushious served on creamy polenta that held the sauce & matched perfectly! A perfect bite. Share both and don't try to decide- you won't regret it. Do not skip the salads here. Our party had the Rosso verde, the caprese, the house (casa) and the grilled octopus. Each one was a work of art - fresh and beautifully matched ingredients. Pizzas were delicious (wood oven crust-tasty well balanced toppings) but now I want to return get the risotto...or the gnocchi... or the ravioli..!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worth the PriceOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 9/16/2014Aventine is a very welcome addition to the Glen Ellen/Sonoma area. The food is beautifully presented and prepared. There are plenty of restaurants in this area, but while many of them charge high-end prices, their meals fail to deliver on taste. Aventine is a glorious exception. Their food is most definitely worth the price. Go!Special Features:
- Great new spot in Glen Ellen.PinothoundDined on 9/14/2014The deck is really nice. Cool bar but not very big. Pizza and appetizers were fantastic. Good menu with lots of choices, nice staff. Loved the special meatball.Special Features:
- The MenuUnclbarVIPDined on 9/14/2014We've been there twice now. We really want to like Aventine. The people are really nice, and they are trying. But we've tried a cross section of menu items and just have not had a single entree that we want to come back for. I think it probably the menu itself, not the cooking. It might be just us--you should give it a try and see if you feel the same way.Special Features:
- Not So GoodevadjudeDined on 9/13/2014It is always sad when a restaurant pipes in music that is so annoying that it can actually make the food taste bad. Speaking of the food, I had the lasagna that was okay, but it was served in a hot, very hot, cast iron dish, so hot that I really could not eat the food for a good 5 minutes. What's wrong with plating it on a plate? My wife had the ravioli which, again, was okay, but not presented well at all, just sort of "dumped" on the plate. And $17 for burata and some bad toast? Cut me a break! So much of good dining is in the presentation and Aventine clearly fails here. The service was fine, but it seemed that the staff was not consistently trained, and that there was a lot of wasted movement.
- Outstanding all the way around!OpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 9/12/2014Finally, a great new restaurant in the area, wow! We dine out regularly and often and Aventine is a real treat from start to finish. Beginning at the picturesque entrance with bridge over creek, to the beautiful full bar with views of the water wheel, to both indoor and outdoor dining, this place has it all. The menu is outstanding, the food quality is over the top and the dishes inspired. The Casa salad is a winner and the Risotto with short rib special was one of the best meals I have ever had. We can't wait to come back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great new restaurant in Glen EllenGwenDined on 9/11/2014Great addition to the area! Fantastic service and delicious food! Ambiance is awesome! Will definitely return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- immature staffmabledogDined on 9/10/2014The staff makes errors regarding your order and has no personal knowledge of the choices on the menu. I am a local. This was my third dining experience at Aventine; waiters show no enthusiasm regarding menu, wine or history of the location. Staff AND manager need training.Special Features:
- Three visits - all very good!ducktafnutDined on 9/10/2014This was my third time there, and great meals each time. The service is getting better all the time, but has never been bad. The servers have all been great with whom to talk, and the food is always good. Stuff meatballs appetizer is what I keep coming back for! Thank you for coming to little Glen Ellen!Special Features:
- Glen Ellen GemlavendernookDined on 9/9/2014Excellent food experience, ambiance and friendly, attentive staff. Loved it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Moderately price xlnt foodMacsOnnaTripDined on 9/7/2014Great Italian food, moderate price, excellent Italian wine list, great service, friendly staff, homemade craft beer in the bar. I'll be back!Special Features:
- Finally!OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 9/6/2014As a Kenwood/Sonoma resident for over 32 years it is lovely to finally see a restaurant that can make this beautiful old Grist Mill location work. The food was really good with the exception of the popcorn appetizer. We both were intrigued & wanted to try it since it was an unusual item to see as an appetizer choice but, it was just plain old ("stale") popcorn with parmesan & parsley sprinkled on it. We also had a lovely salad with grilled pears and the short rib pasta and both were EXCELLENT. They also did not charge corkage! (even tho we are not opposed to a corkage fee as long as it is not over $18). The service was a little slow but we certainly hope this place can keep up the good work and last!Special Features:
- Close to being in ItalySValleyfoodieDined on 9/4/2014Treated a friend to a birthday dinner on a Thursday evening. Almost felt like we were eating in a small Italian village. Food and service on the deck was outstanding. I had an excellent Branzino (would have been nice to have a proper fish knife) with perfectly cooked vegetables and my friend had the special risotto with calamari. We shared a starter of figs wrapped in prosciutto with a balsamic reduction. Excellent wine list...we had a superb Beltane Ranch Sauvignon Blanc. Our server, Mario, was totally attentive to us. As locals, we hope Aventine makes it in this difficult location since many have not.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/31/2014Terribly weak. The drinks were unremarkable, the service was confused and the food was mediocre. Other than that it was great.
- Great location - beautiful settingJeditexanVIPDined on 8/30/2014The food was terrific, the service outstanding, and the place is both charming and rustic-looking. Great experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mauihaoles123VIPDined on 8/29/2014This a new venue and is getting its feet wet. Food is good, but not enough choices that aren't pasta. Not all Italian food is pasts. Need more veal, beef (steak pizzaole, etc) and shrimp. Had a great app of figs wrapped in prosciutto with Humbolt fog cheese. Needed to be warm or at least room temp, Cheese could have been in figs, or if not, with crostini. Great idea, but..Will go back. It's busy now because of recent write up in local paper. That will die off. Good wine list, and reasonable.Special Features:
- Best whole sea bass north of SFShaleyDined on 8/29/2014Whole sea bass off the charts as was the cauliflower soup. Served with fingering potatoes. Lasagna very good and large serving -- could split. Sea scallops okay -- grilled nicely but they forgot salt or pepper so bland. We went early on a Thursday, and must have hit Happy Hour as well know merlot $3.00 and Martini $ 9.00.Special Features:
- BBKINGDined on 8/28/2014Amazing food and atmosphere! Worth the trip, no doubt…..sort of a classic Italian feel with a much more modern approach. Excellent quality food and service! Great place to hang out with large groups!Special Features:
- jwineVIPDined on 8/27/2014Lamb chops were done perfectly. Mushrooms were terrific. Noise on the interior of the restaurant was unbearable, such that we would not return unless we could be assured of table on the deck.Special Features:
- JackLondonDined on 8/26/2014Good food and nice interior atmosphere. Welcome addition to this beautiful location. However…the wait staff is very disorganized, standing in groups talking…then darting around…Not one smile…. annoying…felt totally unprofessional and rushed in a time that was not overly busy. (Hello…this is Glen Ellen?) They did not seem prepared to talk about the food. No floor leadership. No sure if it was the owner darting around…which set the tone for the rest. The appetizer was on our table before our first drink order...then came the water. Three slices of tomato with buffalo cheese appetizer seemed lame for two people..which was their suggested. $15. Our entrees were thankfully good.Special Features:
- Best Italian food ever!LuVaDined on 8/26/2014The lasagna was to die for, reminds me of the ragu that my Italian grandfather used to make! The Arancini another amazing appetizer and the tartuffo popcorn, delicious! The pannacotta to die for! Best ever!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Liked itPacaDined on 8/24/2014Our second visit, both food and service are improving. Ate outside both times. Inside seems a little stuffy and smells of old grease. Ventilation? Hostess very slow to seat us, apologized, but they seem overly concerned with protocol, only one person is allowed to seat people., etc. Only other (and related) negative is that waitstaff and others do not pick up for each other. One clearere and waitperson look after you, but everyone else ignores you even when it's obvious you need something... That said, the food was very good, and where else can you get delicious octopus!? Pastas all very good. No corkage is a wonderful plus. Deck dining is beautiful. Hope this place succeeds! We will definitely be back.Special Features:
- booze too expensiveNomoreDrinkingDined on 8/22/2014$20 for a Cosmo? Come on!!! $11 is the most ! With 2 kids and 2 adults $200 wow half was drinksSpecial Features:
- want to love aventine, expect totoddbDined on 8/17/2014The wine list is very solid with selected local flavor, and mains in our first visit (chicken parm, red beet pasta) were delicious and flawless. The cheese app was well appointed, the house salad was a bit dry and we weren't offered a twist of pepper. Also needed to go ask for bread and split plates. It was a Sunday night, convivially but not crazy busy. We want (and expect) to love Aventine and see it succeed in what has been a challenging locale historically. Just need to ensure that service levels match the excellent food quality.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A great startzinfomaniacDined on 8/17/2014This young restaurant is off to a great start. A few minor service kinks need to be worked out (first course before wine was ordered) but overall attentive and prompt. My pasta, although delicious, was served luke warm, probably held on the plate while waiting for my wife's pizza. Overall food was great and we'll be back to see some maturity in a few months.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tasty and VERY enjoyable!CorkieKDined on 8/17/2014We were pleased when we heard a good Italian restaurant was coming to the Grist Mill area. The updates were done very professionally. It has the old mill flavor but seems fresh and nice. The deck area is just heavenly, with landscaped edging and there is even a sofa do some armchairs out there, to relax and dine. Food was very good and promptly served. Our server was top-notch! If you enjoy dining in a very pleasant setting, with tasty, creative Italian food, then this is the place for you!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great new addition to areaKNWDeaterDined on 8/9/2014Fun menu, and tasty. Excellent staff and service. Great trattoria like atmosphere. Need to go back to try more.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- XNYCGALDined on 8/9/2014Aventine is a great new restaurant within the romantic town of Glen Ellen. I took my mom, cousin (foodie) from Manhattan, and my husband . everyone of us had fabulous dished, the service was excellent. Handicap no problem!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Dinner, plenty of staffridgerunnerDined on 8/9/2014Although every table was full there was plenty of wait staff to assure that service to all was quick and complete. The food was absolutely wonderful, presented well.Special Features:
- A special treat!OpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 8/8/2014The food, setting and service in this new Glen Ellen restaurant is just about perfect! The pizza as an appetizer was scrumptious, the Branzino sea bass was a real treat and the cocktails from the full bar were great. We can't wait to return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great new restaurantBarbellDined on 8/3/2014We really liked this new addition to the local restaurant scene. Salad and entrees were excellent, particularly the ravioli. Lots of staff to take care of you. Nice atmosphere. Our only complaint would be the noise level inside because of the high ceilings.Special Features:
- Great New Spot!CynthiaDined on 8/2/2014We finally were able to snag a reservation for Saturday night and had a great experience! We will most definitely be back!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Glen Ellen Perfect!willowoodDined on 8/2/2014We loved the experience at Aventine. Food, friends, service...all great with wonderful servers so willing to please. It's common now to have to shout to hear conversation, but this was probably above the norm. That is my only complaint, but that complaint spans just about every restaurant anywhere now! Go anyway, you will not be disappointed. And what a fabulous Moscow Mule from the bar!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- claytVIPDined on 8/1/2014Hostess and staff need much more training and experience. The restaurant obviously withholds MANY prime time reservation spots from Open Table. I had 5:45 reservation (next available was 8:30) and I watched at least 4 tables remain empty until we left at 7:15.
- A great additionScoutDined on 7/30/2014We're locals celebrating a birthday & have been looking for a chance to visit this new addition to Glen Ellen. The site is dear to us (I even worked there as a server in 1989). The improvements, menu, staff and policies are spot on. The meatball app was stellar, I must even rave about the quality of the polenta. The pancetta pizza was a little dry for my taste but the caramelized onions were dreamy. The filling for the braised shortrib pasta was delicious but the pasta a bit too thick & a little too chewy. Overall, we are thrilled with Aventine.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 7/30/2014This is our second visit. We were part of a large group, food was delicious and service was friendly and attentive. The hit of the evening was the lamb and truffle popcorn. Actually we had tried the lamb on a previous visit and recommended to our dining companions, they were all very happy.Special Features:
- Very nice!!PWandLADined on 7/27/2014A wonderful experience, the only complaint is that the desserts were a bit on the skimpy side.Special Features:
- welcome to the hoodwhynotDined on 7/26/2014As a nearby resident I have thought for years that what that spot needed was a really good Italian restaurant. We can be a snobby group, lots of world travelers live here, and we know from authentic Italian dishes. Aventine provides some authenticity and adds some sparkling California touches. The seafood risotto reminded me of eating in Liguria only spicier . . . well, maybe Genovese with flair. Good but pricey wine list; the Lou Preston sauvignon blanc was reasonable and, as always, excellent. A special balsamic reduction on the caprese was stunning. And the no-flour chocolate cake was the ultimate decadent ending. We'll be back, for sure. And we'll need a reservation; they're hopping.Special Features:
- still too newoutnaboutDined on 7/20/2014I'd say this restaurant is still working out the bugs. The setting is lovely, and if you're looking for a place to have a light bite and get together with friends, this would be a good venue, if you sit outside; inside is very noisy. Our food was OK, but not great. The waiters tried very hard, but were, in fact, overly attentive, and may still be learning that guests don't really like to be checked on quite so much. All in all, great potential, but the kinks still need to be worked out.Special Features:
- The New AventineOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/20/2014The menu is interesting. The lamb chops were excellent, as was the perfectly blended martini. Service needs some fine tuning. It is very loud. The nutella-dough dessert was a disaster. Suprised they would serve it. I think once they find their momentum, the restaurant will be a stellar addition to Glen Ellen.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.