Aventine Glen Ellen
14301 Arnold Drive #32
Glen Ellen, CA 95442Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $31 to $50
Aventine Glen Ellen
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.aventineglenellen.com/
- Phone: 7079348911x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Tuesday-Sunday: Nightly 4:30pm-Close
Happy Hour: Tuesday 4:30-Close; Wednesday-Sunday 4:30-6:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Adolfo Veronese
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Aventine Glen Ellen
The Third Branch of Aventine opens this Spring in Glen Ellen featuring a full bar, brewery and farm fresh to table dishes by Executive Chef Adolfo Veronese. Located in the historic Grist Mill in Glen Ellen, Chef Adolfo and his partners, Rodrigo Nevado and Gian Paolo Veronese, create a modern interpretation of the Italian Osteria experience where old rustic and familiar style is fused with the bounty of flavors native to beautiful Sonoma. Similar to its predecessors in San Francisco and Hollywood, Aventine Glen Ellen is a place to eat, drink and socialize where everyone feels like familia.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Dining
Aventine Glen Ellen - Best Restaurants in Glen Ellen ›
Aventine Glen Ellen reviews from OpenTable diners
139 reviews since June 22, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (112)fit for foodies (77)neighborhood gem (73)special occasion (57)scenic view (49)romantic (41)good for groups (41)vibrant bar scene (38)notable wine list (38)hot spot (24)kid-friendly (17)great for lunch (9)great for brunch (7)late-night find (7)Show More
- The best in Sonoma Valley!OpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 10/17/2014We love this new place! We eat out often and this is the best new restaurant we have come across in a long time. Great drinks, delicious food, wonderful setting and attentive service. The chef Adolfo and his wife Toni make this a special experience every time. Well worth the visit!Special Features:
- Getting It Rightvisitor2chicagoDined on 10/12/2014First time visitor to this modern classic Italian restaurant--outstanding and looking forward to becoming a regular. One suggestion is regarding some of the outdoor tables--if you are tall (long-legged), the high tables and bar stools could be uncomfortable and recommend you request a regular seat/table. You will find the staff genuinely helpful, the portions appropriate, the food delivered hot. Two of the contorni (sides) we ordered were good enough, but a little on the oily side--the mushrooms lacked any layers of flavor and could have included more porcini. The pizzas, gnocchi, and Maine scallops we ordered were perfection. The corkage fee was fair, the wine list well chosen. Stop in anytime for a real bit of Italy!Special Features:
- No disappointmentsDinerDighDined on 10/12/2014Fourth time dining at Aventine and no hint of anything going wrong. Sitting outside (heat lamps available) is heavenly. The menu is not extensive and runs from $$ to $$$$ in price range, but the choices cover a wide variety of foods. The specials are always special, too. An entry area bar features TV for sports fans and seems cozy and fun. The inside dining area is also diner friendly and has a fireplace for winter dining. I'll definitely be back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sports Bar?luvwineDined on 10/12/2014Food was good and the service was attentive. Wine list is extensive and prices are affordable. Too much noise from the bar area ruined a nice quiet meal. This restaurant needs to make a choice between operating as a sports bar or a restaurant for couples or groups wishing to have a special occasion or a quiet meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice settingTruckeeloverVIPDined on 10/11/2014Very nice staff. We were met by the chefs' wife and she changed our table to the patio when she realized it was our anniversary. They made sure the heater was on. Our waitress was very nice and made suggestions. The food was good but not great. They did offer several gluten free options which was a real plus.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Can't recommendSonomaHikerDined on 10/1/2014I so wanted Aventine to be successful after so many restaurants have failed in the location. I've been to the bar and, despite the uncomfortable stools, it is a fine, abeit over priced, place to have a drink. As a dining spot, however, I can't recommend it. The service lacks, the food is tasteless, and the prices over the top! If you stick to the pizza and some of the appetizers, you'll be OK. However, entrees are very limited and without flair. I won't go back.
- Great vibe. Poor delivery.NinjaDined on 9/26/2014Great ambience. Good food. Poor service. Everything came at the same time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wine and DineGottaEatDined on 9/25/2014Rolled into Glen Ellen and into this gem of a restaurant. Sat outside on the cool Fall night, only to be warmed by the great food, notable wine selections and heat lamps. A very nice grouping of wines and food made our selections that much easier.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- glowing in Glen EllenowenDined on 9/21/2014Aventine is a truly welcome addition to the limited dining scene in Glen Ellen, and probably the most authentic Italian restaurant in the area. I always find risotto a good test, and the risotto with funghi was outstanding -- cooked exactly to the right al dente consistency. Both wines, the prosecco and the pinot grigio (from the Veneto, as I recall) were excellent. One small complaint: Our otherwise attentive and charming waitress asked, several times, if we were "still working" on our meals. This is a common fault these days. But finally we told her, politely, that we were eating, not working. She laughed sweetly, and didn't say it again. But this was a very small glitch in a fine experience. Benvenuto, Aventine!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Glen Ellen (Wine Country) GemFoodieVIPDined on 9/20/2014Glen Ellen has added another amazing restaurant to its list. Aventine delivers a fine dining experience with ambiance and style. Glen Ellen has become a hot spot for dining in wine country (catering to visitors who stay near the wineries), and Aventine does not disappoint. The lasagna is amazing. The deserts are crazy-good (leaning towards French style). The ambiance is perfect, with indoor or outdoor dining options. The historic Grist Mill location adds a historic element to the dining experience. The service was excellent!Special Features:
- Great food and vibeYummyDined on 9/20/2014The steak, lamb chops were great! They were perfectly cooked and full of flavor. The truffle butter is fabulous.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SGNITROVIPDined on 9/18/2014Very nice new restaurant. Friendly staff. Enjoyed the pizza as an appetizer and truffle popcorn (would not have ordered, but the family wanted and glad they did). Pasta dishes were the standout entrees.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Rustic and RelaxedCcsonomaDined on 9/18/2014I live 10 minutes away and am so happy to have a great new place to eat! Home made pasta and great Italian food in a relaxed friendly environment. Skip the tourist scene and traffic on the Sonoma Plaza for an off-the-beaten path - creek side dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Going done hill fastOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/18/2014This was our second try and the food the first time was ok and the service was great. This time the food was not good at all and the service was lacking. We will not go back again unless something changes.
- DinerDighDinerDighDined on 9/18/2014Second visit, this time sat outside with out of the country guests. Gorgeous evening, delightful acoustic Spanish guitar music, everything but the service was great. It was probably an just an anomaly because the server made up for the long wait and mixup on drinks by providing lots of attention later. My friends loved it!Special Features:
- Glen Ellen gem in historic millWinepupDined on 9/17/2014Food is finally equal to this beautiful location! Great service from friendly and professional staff. The fried risotto balls were savory & tender on inside with a whisper of crunch on the outside. Their special meatball appetizer was meaty and lushious served on creamy polenta that held the sauce & matched perfectly! A perfect bite. Share both and don't try to decide- you won't regret it. Do not skip the salads here. Our party had the Rosso verde, the caprese, the house (casa) and the grilled octopus. Each one was a work of art - fresh and beautifully matched ingredients. Pizzas were delicious (wood oven crust-tasty well balanced toppings) but now I want to return get the risotto...or the gnocchi... or the ravioli..!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worth the PriceOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 9/16/2014Aventine is a very welcome addition to the Glen Ellen/Sonoma area. The food is beautifully presented and prepared. There are plenty of restaurants in this area, but while many of them charge high-end prices, their meals fail to deliver on taste. Aventine is a glorious exception. Their food is most definitely worth the price. Go!Special Features:
- Great new spot in Glen Ellen.PinothoundDined on 9/14/2014The deck is really nice. Cool bar but not very big. Pizza and appetizers were fantastic. Good menu with lots of choices, nice staff. Loved the special meatball.Special Features:
- The MenuUnclbarVIPDined on 9/14/2014We've been there twice now. We really want to like Aventine. The people are really nice, and they are trying. But we've tried a cross section of menu items and just have not had a single entree that we want to come back for. I think it probably the menu itself, not the cooking. It might be just us--you should give it a try and see if you feel the same way.Special Features:
- Not So GoodevadjudeDined on 9/13/2014It is always sad when a restaurant pipes in music that is so annoying that it can actually make the food taste bad. Speaking of the food, I had the lasagna that was okay, but it was served in a hot, very hot, cast iron dish, so hot that I really could not eat the food for a good 5 minutes. What's wrong with plating it on a plate? My wife had the ravioli which, again, was okay, but not presented well at all, just sort of "dumped" on the plate. And $17 for burata and some bad toast? Cut me a break! So much of good dining is in the presentation and Aventine clearly fails here. The service was fine, but it seemed that the staff was not consistently trained, and that there was a lot of wasted movement.
- Outstanding all the way around!OpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 9/12/2014Finally, a great new restaurant in the area, wow! We dine out regularly and often and Aventine is a real treat from start to finish. Beginning at the picturesque entrance with bridge over creek, to the beautiful full bar with views of the water wheel, to both indoor and outdoor dining, this place has it all. The menu is outstanding, the food quality is over the top and the dishes inspired. The Casa salad is a winner and the Risotto with short rib special was one of the best meals I have ever had. We can't wait to come back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great new restaurant in Glen EllenGwenDined on 9/11/2014Great addition to the area! Fantastic service and delicious food! Ambiance is awesome! Will definitely return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- immature staffmabledogDined on 9/10/2014The staff makes errors regarding your order and has no personal knowledge of the choices on the menu. I am a local. This was my third dining experience at Aventine; waiters show no enthusiasm regarding menu, wine or history of the location. Staff AND manager need training.Special Features:
- Three visits - all very good!ducktafnutDined on 9/10/2014This was my third time there, and great meals each time. The service is getting better all the time, but has never been bad. The servers have all been great with whom to talk, and the food is always good. Stuff meatballs appetizer is what I keep coming back for! Thank you for coming to little Glen Ellen!Special Features:
- Glen Ellen GemlavendernookDined on 9/9/2014Excellent food experience, ambiance and friendly, attentive staff. Loved it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Moderately price xlnt foodMacsOnnaTripDined on 9/7/2014Great Italian food, moderate price, excellent Italian wine list, great service, friendly staff, homemade craft beer in the bar. I'll be back!Special Features:
- Finally!OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 9/6/2014As a Kenwood/Sonoma resident for over 32 years it is lovely to finally see a restaurant that can make this beautiful old Grist Mill location work. The food was really good with the exception of the popcorn appetizer. We both were intrigued & wanted to try it since it was an unusual item to see as an appetizer choice but, it was just plain old ("stale") popcorn with parmesan & parsley sprinkled on it. We also had a lovely salad with grilled pears and the short rib pasta and both were EXCELLENT. They also did not charge corkage! (even tho we are not opposed to a corkage fee as long as it is not over $18). The service was a little slow but we certainly hope this place can keep up the good work and last!Special Features:
- Close to being in ItalySValleyfoodieDined on 9/4/2014Treated a friend to a birthday dinner on a Thursday evening. Almost felt like we were eating in a small Italian village. Food and service on the deck was outstanding. I had an excellent Branzino (would have been nice to have a proper fish knife) with perfectly cooked vegetables and my friend had the special risotto with calamari. We shared a starter of figs wrapped in prosciutto with a balsamic reduction. Excellent wine list...we had a superb Beltane Ranch Sauvignon Blanc. Our server, Mario, was totally attentive to us. As locals, we hope Aventine makes it in this difficult location since many have not.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/31/2014Terribly weak. The drinks were unremarkable, the service was confused and the food was mediocre. Other than that it was great.
- Great location - beautiful settingJeditexanVIPDined on 8/30/2014The food was terrific, the service outstanding, and the place is both charming and rustic-looking. Great experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mauihaoles123VIPDined on 8/29/2014This a new venue and is getting its feet wet. Food is good, but not enough choices that aren't pasta. Not all Italian food is pasts. Need more veal, beef (steak pizzaole, etc) and shrimp. Had a great app of figs wrapped in prosciutto with Humbolt fog cheese. Needed to be warm or at least room temp, Cheese could have been in figs, or if not, with crostini. Great idea, but..Will go back. It's busy now because of recent write up in local paper. That will die off. Good wine list, and reasonable.Special Features:
- Best whole sea bass north of SFShaleyDined on 8/29/2014Whole sea bass off the charts as was the cauliflower soup. Served with fingering potatoes. Lasagna very good and large serving -- could split. Sea scallops okay -- grilled nicely but they forgot salt or pepper so bland. We went early on a Thursday, and must have hit Happy Hour as well know merlot $3.00 and Martini $ 9.00.Special Features:
- BBKINGDined on 8/28/2014Amazing food and atmosphere! Worth the trip, no doubt…..sort of a classic Italian feel with a much more modern approach. Excellent quality food and service! Great place to hang out with large groups!Special Features:
- jwineVIPDined on 8/27/2014Lamb chops were done perfectly. Mushrooms were terrific. Noise on the interior of the restaurant was unbearable, such that we would not return unless we could be assured of table on the deck.Special Features:
- JackLondonDined on 8/26/2014Good food and nice interior atmosphere. Welcome addition to this beautiful location. However…the wait staff is very disorganized, standing in groups talking…then darting around…Not one smile…. annoying…felt totally unprofessional and rushed in a time that was not overly busy. (Hello…this is Glen Ellen?) They did not seem prepared to talk about the food. No floor leadership. No sure if it was the owner darting around…which set the tone for the rest. The appetizer was on our table before our first drink order...then came the water. Three slices of tomato with buffalo cheese appetizer seemed lame for two people..which was their suggested. $15. Our entrees were thankfully good.Special Features:
- Best Italian food ever!LuVaDined on 8/26/2014The lasagna was to die for, reminds me of the ragu that my Italian grandfather used to make! The Arancini another amazing appetizer and the tartuffo popcorn, delicious! The pannacotta to die for! Best ever!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Liked itPacaDined on 8/24/2014Our second visit, both food and service are improving. Ate outside both times. Inside seems a little stuffy and smells of old grease. Ventilation? Hostess very slow to seat us, apologized, but they seem overly concerned with protocol, only one person is allowed to seat people., etc. Only other (and related) negative is that waitstaff and others do not pick up for each other. One clearere and waitperson look after you, but everyone else ignores you even when it's obvious you need something... That said, the food was very good, and where else can you get delicious octopus!? Pastas all very good. No corkage is a wonderful plus. Deck dining is beautiful. Hope this place succeeds! We will definitely be back.Special Features:
- booze too expensiveNomoreDrinkingDined on 8/22/2014$20 for a Cosmo? Come on!!! $11 is the most ! With 2 kids and 2 adults $200 wow half was drinksSpecial Features:
- want to love aventine, expect totoddbDined on 8/17/2014The wine list is very solid with selected local flavor, and mains in our first visit (chicken parm, red beet pasta) were delicious and flawless. The cheese app was well appointed, the house salad was a bit dry and we weren't offered a twist of pepper. Also needed to go ask for bread and split plates. It was a Sunday night, convivially but not crazy busy. We want (and expect) to love Aventine and see it succeed in what has been a challenging locale historically. Just need to ensure that service levels match the excellent food quality.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A great startzinfomaniacDined on 8/17/2014This young restaurant is off to a great start. A few minor service kinks need to be worked out (first course before wine was ordered) but overall attentive and prompt. My pasta, although delicious, was served luke warm, probably held on the plate while waiting for my wife's pizza. Overall food was great and we'll be back to see some maturity in a few months.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.