502 Main Street
Sturbridge, MA 01566Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.avellinorestaurant.com/
- Phone: 5083472321
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Tuesday - Saturday: 4:30pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Enrico Giovanello
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Avellino chefs believe the small details matter. When we host your party or event, you will enjoy superbly prepared cuisine and personalized service from our professional staff. Select from among our menus — from a casual buffet to a formal sit down dinner, an intimate party to a gathering of 50 friends or associates, we offer something for everyone's tastes and needs.
- Private Party Facilities: Call us directly for catering and banquet inquiries.
- Private Party Contact: Sarah J Gottlieb 8602351286
A word from Avellino
Avellino offers traditional, homemade Italian cuisine in a setting that unites old and new for a truly memorable experience.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
Avellino - Best Restaurants in Sturbridge ›
Avellino reviews from OpenTable diners
55 reviews since June 28, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (32)fit for foodies (29)neighborhood gem (24)romantic (23)notable wine list (13)good for groups (12)great for outdoor dining (7)great for lunch (5)vibrant bar scene (5)hot spot (4)kid-friendly (2)great for brunch (2)Show More
- Sturbridge GemCraigDined on 10/22/2014I met a friend coming from Western Connecticut at Avellino's. Neither of us had eaten there before. We were looking for something casual but with good food. Avellino's fit our needs perfectly. I will be returning.Special Features:
- Stellar!karebear70Dined on 10/17/2014The food is always good and the atmosphere was relaxed and elegant. Our server, Chris was impeccable! He had a wonderful personality. I would like to see more vegetarian/vegan choices on the menu.Special Features:
- Dinner out - as it should be!number1foodcriticDined on 10/4/2014Despite the fact that we have a favorite Italian Restaurant, we wanted something different for a special celebration, so we tried Avellino. We were not disappointed. The waitress was friendly, efficient and patient. The meal began with an awesome stretch bread and was replenished without asking. Every meal in our party was very well-liked. My 87 year old father, who is not one to give compliments freely, took one bite and said, "This is good." That says it all!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Give the buffet a try!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/28/2014After a great experience with the regular dinner menu on a previous visit we decided to give the Sunday buffet a try. They started off with 2 fresh salads and the hot entrees were meatballs and Italian sausage in homemade tomato sauce, stuffed shells, chicken piccatta, penne with sausage and mushrooms and a simply outstanding eggplant parmesan with polenta and mashed cauliflower as side dishes. Everything was delicious, service was cordial and attentive and at $14.95 it was quite a bargain. I hope they don't take the eggplant parm off the menu since I had three helpings (it was that good). I've heard the buffet menu is subject to change so you might want to check before you go if you are hoping for a particular dish.Special Features:
- Delicious FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/19/2014So much to choose from on the menu that we had a hard time to choosing our dishes. We each chose something different, and we both enjoyed every bite. You can't go wrong!!! Service was wonderful too.Special Features:
- Open Table BuffetBuffet101Dined on 9/14/2014We wanted to experience the open table buffet because some local friends had recently recommended it at Avellino's. We arrived for our 6 PM reservation and were warmly greeted and seated. There was one other couple dining when we arrived and when we dined, we were the only people there. We found the salad to be good . However, the hot dishes were mediocre at best. None of the food pans were marked indicating what dishes were inside and the wait staff attempted to help us. The lasagna was dry and overdone. The meatballs and sausage were cool. The chicken was plain. The vegetable dish and the beef were fairly flavorful. We were disappointed.
- First not last visitDebhitchDined on 9/13/2014What a great restaurant. We had reservations and were seated immediately upon arrival. Our drink order was taken and fulfilled. Our server asked us if we would like a few minutes to enjoy our drinks before placing our order! How nice normally..it's place your order.... He was the best waiter we have had anywhere all summer on our quest to eat at a new place every Saturday evening. The bread homemade... Salads big enough to share... All meals delicious... We shared desserts... Will definately go back this winter so my husband can have Osso Boco .Special Features:
- Always consistentDianeVIPDined on 9/12/2014Rico does a great job. The food is always consistent and the staff is very pleasant. They make you feel very welcome.Special Features:
- We'll be backluv4foodDined on 9/6/2014We arrived at 7 p.m., our reservation time, and were seated right away. Chris, our server, greeted us almost immediately, took our drink order, and everything was top notch from there. My husband and I had the gnocci which was light, pillows of handmade pasta in a delicious bolognese sauce. We have to return to Avellino because there are so many other menu choices we want to try.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/22/2014Wife and I stopped in for an Anniversary dinner (up from Connecticut). My wife ordered off menu (pasta with seasonal vegetables) and the Chef nailed it. She says it was one of the best pasta dishes she had ever had, and Chef Rico created the dish with non traditional vegetables, including brussel sprouts!. I had the Carbonara which was excellent. Highly recommend this spot for fine Italian dining.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic mealsLfaneufDined on 8/22/2014First time coming. All 4 meals were absolutely fantastic. We will definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Interesting menu and great serviceTerryDined on 8/15/2014Love sitting on their new enclosed porch. Salads are very unique.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointed Frequent DinerLocalDinerDined on 8/10/2014We have eaten at the restaurant several times. This was our first buffet. We waited 20 minutes for our bottle of wine-- there were only two other couples in the restaurant at the time. After waiting 10-15 minutes for an espresso and capuccino, our server informed us that they were having trouble figuring out how to work the machine. After another 10 minutes, she offered us regular coffee without charge, since they couldn't work the espresso machine. When she brought the bill, she told us that the manager didn't want to comp us on the coffee-- after also buying a full bottle of wine and dessert-- and we were the only ones in the restaurant who did! If this had been our first experience with the restaurant it would also have been our last.
- Great!richDined on 8/7/2014The food was exceptional, we sat on the new porch they added and it was beautiful, they did a great job.
- In a word, PERFECTION!Hospitality23Dined on 8/5/2014This restaurant is beautiful, clean and classy. Our food was excellent and the service outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great restaurant!JoanWBDined on 8/2/2014I took my husband to Avellinos for his birthday. The food was great! Several reviewers had commented that it was loud and I agree. I would definitely go again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/22/2014Excellent service, waiter was outstanding. Food was absolutely above average. First time there and very impressed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great flavorsAs136Dined on 7/19/2014This was my second time dining here, I loved all the food we had. My favorite was the homemade gnocchi dish with bologonase, so creamy, rich and flavorful. Service was attentive, we sat on the porch section by the screened windows. It was nice to watch the traffic go by as we chatted. At the end I wasn't going to get desert because I was so full and I decided to because the pie seemed tempting. I think it was a berry rhubarb. Overall we enjoyed everything and would love to go back soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/18/2014Been wanting to try this place for awhile... It was delicious!!! I'll be back for sure. So many good things on the menu :) Also if you like chicken Parm, it's quite a portion. You won't be disappointedSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful evening!Mich41Dined on 7/18/2014Our server was absolutely wonderful! Our table was in a corner with the large French doors open and it was perfect. Our meal was delicious. Can't wait to go again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JohnDDined on 7/16/2014Food was great, service was a bit slow and in attentive - waiter was very nice but a bit overwhelmed - could have used additional wait staff. Overall, a lovely evening.Special Features:
- Noise noise noiseEaterDined on 7/12/2014EXTRMELY noisy, and at least a third of the tables were empty. Can't imagine the din when the place is full.
- Great Weekend Lunch!Bizzy57Dined on 7/12/2014Fod and service were both excellent. We were one of two parties seated inside (we thought it was too hot for the patio whcih was packed). The food was all terrific - mussels, capreses salad, chcicken limone and chicken parmigianna. All delicious and highly recommended. Our server was perfect. Very professional and warm but did not want to become our best friend. Attenetive but did not hover - he just appeared when we ned him. Great experience - thanks!Special Features:
- Tourist/ BrimfeildHeidiDined on 7/8/2014The service was good, but not overly attentive. The food, Veal Parm, gnocchi , was good, not outstanding. The salt cod cakes, were quite good ... But ironically to salty. Beautiful interior and we enjoyed our time... But not enough to order coffee and linger.Special Features:
- Porch47ersDined on 7/5/2014Lovely addition to the restaurant. Our choices of food were good and everyone enjoyed their meal. We will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 235 reviews are from the Avellino reviews archive.
- foodiesDined on 6/24/2014Great food and friendly staff. Chef was very accommodating as we asked for an appetizer that was not on the menu and he prepared it specially for us...it was wonderful.Special Features:
- Tried the new screen porchTerryDined on 6/20/2014We love this place for our romantic Friday dinner to end the busy work week. Food is flavorful and well presented. Bread and dipping oil is nice, dense and crusty bread. Staff is friendly. We enjoyed watching sturbridge traffic thru the porch screens. I would have liked a few more fancy martinis - maybe some sweet ones like snickers or gingerbread?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 6/7/2014Overall, a very nice dining experience, it's getting harder to find quality dining establishments in the Sturbridge area. My wife and I both ordered seafood dishes and found both dishes to be a little heavy with the salt. Also found it a little odd to have crackers served with the Antipasto, they just seemed a little out of place. Otherwise the service was excellent, the prices reasonable and the ambiance was exceptional. They did a great job renovating the old Whistling Swan.Special Features:
- Great Italian without the Attitudethevienna184Dined on 6/6/2014Loved our dinner, but even better was the outstanding service from Dan. You made our night special and effortless to enjoy the guests dining with our table. We appreciate the extra effort and staying open late. Be back to enjoy those meatballs again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ServiceCricketDined on 5/30/2014Our waiter Chris was outstanding and very friendly. He gave my daughter and I the perfect amount of time between courses. He answered all our questions and new the menu very well. I will certainly be back and recommend Avellino to all my friendsSpecial Features:
- DelightfulmonsonronDined on 5/24/2014We caught Avellino on a quiet (Sat of Memorial Weekend) night. Service excellent, attentive, but not overly bothersome. Appetizer of bruschetta was unique and very well done. Salad fresh, but average. Entrees were very good, mine was egg plant parm, my wife had seared scallops on saffron risotto. Both were well presented and delicious. The menu had a nice variety of selections. Great dessert menu. Wine list was primarily Italian, with nice price and quality selections. Dining room was bright, nicely decorated, pleasant and spotless. Overall a terrific experience....and we'll definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My new Favorite!KMarieDined on 5/16/2014First time dining at Avellino. The food was amazing! From appetizer to the dessert. We will definitely be back!Special Features:
- Food versus noiseOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/16/2014Food was exceptional. Lemon ricotta and everything else- simply mouth-wateringly delicious! Noise level and acoustics were almost unbearable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- tanukiDined on 5/16/2014We visit "Duck" every time we went Antique fair at Brimfield but Avellino first time, reason is they close on Sunday. Small plates. Arancini(fried rice balls completely different from Japanese rice ball) was very nice. Mussels was also good. Spaghetti al Frutti di Mare was big volume, enough for two. We regret that their house wine(asked white and dry) was not so good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful DiningJhJhDined on 5/10/2014Avellino's continues to impress. This was my 2nd time at the restaurant and our experience was as good as the first. Appetizers, salads, entrees all delicious. Make sure to save room for the dessert sampler plate - just so yummy! Good service, clean.....you need to try this place!Special Features:
- Always a great meal!DelishDined on 5/9/2014The food is always delicious and the service is good. Might like just a little larger menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, too loud!OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 5/9/2014Great food. Way, way too loud. We requested a quiet table and were given table right next to a very large dinner party of 18+ and couldn't even hear ourselves talking. Too bad because the food and waiter were very good.Special Features:
- FoodieVIPDined on 5/9/2014Have dined here quite a few times, this time the waiter was a little too rushed if I had wanted a fast food meal I would have gone to one. He realized when we didn't put in our main dish entree right away. It was just not the best experience that we have had in the past.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pheonomenal47ersDined on 5/9/2014We thoroughly enjoyed our delicious dinners on the new porch and our waitress was a sweetheart.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 4/29/20142 of our party of 3 had special dietary needs. The staff and chef were great at working with us and making great dishes within those requirements.I would recommend this to a friend.