502 Main Street
Sturbridge, MA 01566Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.avellinorestaurant.com/
- Phone: (508) 347-2321
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Tuesday - Saturday: 4:30pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Enrico Giovanello
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Avellino chefs believe the small details matter. When we host your party or event, you will enjoy superbly prepared cuisine and personalized service from our professional staff. Select from among our menus — from a casual buffet to a formal sit down dinner, an intimate party to a gathering of 50 friends or associates, we offer something for everyone's tastes and needs.
- Private Party Facilities: Call us directly for catering and banquet inquiries.
- Private Party Contact: Dawn Ryan 5083472321x
A word from Avellino
Avellino offers traditional, homemade Italian cuisine in a setting that unites old and new for a truly memorable experience.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
Avellino - Best Restaurants in Sturbridge ›
Avellino reviews from OpenTable diners
60 reviews since July 28, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (37)special occasion (35)neighborhood gem (29)romantic (26)notable wine list (18)good for groups (17)hot spot (8)vibrant bar scene (8)great for lunch (5)great for outdoor dining (4)great for brunch (2)late-night find (2)scenic view (2)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- This was the second time weSharonVIPDined on 2/8/2014This was the second time we were here, and the entire experience was wonderful.Special Features:
- Bright Spot in SturbridgeDiningWithDon1VIPDined on 2/1/2014So this is a qualified endorsement: if you're in Sturbridge, this is a good place to go. We traveled west to pay this place (the former Whistling Swan) a visit and while it is decent, very nicely appointed it is nothing special. That said, in a town with a lot of chain and pub-type places it is probably one of the better local spots to dine. My biggest complaint was a misrepresentation on the menu. The appetizer was listed as bacala (salt cod, re hydrated) with potato cakes. Instead we received bacala in potato cakes, sort of a "fried/breaded fish cake"; not what I was reading and expecting. The rest of the meal was good to very good. The wine list was a pleasant surprise, some decent Italian choices that paired well. The room is very nice.Special Features:
- Loved it!gr8timeDined on 1/25/2014We had a 7 p.m. reservation and were seated promptly. The service, once seated, was amazing. Our waiter was professional, knowledgeable, friendly yet non-invasive. The spacing between courses was perfect. Lots of time for conversation but without a long wait to be served, etc. Prices were what you would expect for an upscale restaurant. No surprises.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Polite atmosphere all around.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 1/25/2014Polite atmosphere all around. Fine food at a moderate price. Will tell people about the place.Special Features:
- Thank you!ShaunaDined on 1/18/2014My boyfriend and I had a great first experience at Avellino the other night. Our server, I think his name was Joshua, was just great. Very knowledgable about the menu and happy to provide us with great service. We have already recommended this restaurant to a few friends and will be returning ourselves. Thank you!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderfully doneCandM2Dined on 1/18/2014From the first greeting to the "goodnight," our evening there was excellent. The bread and dipping oil were well matched and a very good first taste.A large caesar, a large endive, and a small house salad (which came with the entree) showed they know how do do salads right. Mushroom risotto with truffle cream was rich without being overly thick, and the taste was just to our liking. Butternut squash and sweet potato ravioli with amaretto cookie, parmesan, spinach, butternut cream sauce was amazing. Both were nicely plated for two, thanks to our server who neither hovered nor stayed away too long. A side of pasta marinara, while probably an excellent dish on its own, just couldn't compete with the others. With a glass of wine each <$70Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, good price.SherpaDined on 1/17/2014We went in to Avellino cold....no previewing the menu or looking at previous reviews. What we discovered was a dining experience that will surely bring us back for many more visits. We were seated almost immediately by a very pleasant young woman who explained the specials and brought us samples of wine we were curious about. The timing from the appetizers to dinner was perfect and the meals were fantastic. An attentive but not overly hovering staff completed the picture. Overall a great place for some excellent food at a reasonable price (under $100 for two with drinks and appetizer).Special Features:
- New Years Eve DateOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 12/31/2013Food was AMAZING. Drinks were delish. Overall great experience. We'll be back!Special Features:
- New YearsPNLRCCDined on 12/31/2013Reservations were early New Years Eve, Wait staff handled the growing number of diners, tough night to judge that said my wife and I would definitely re-visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious food!jmartDined on 12/31/2013I found this restaurant on open table and decided to try it out. We went out for new years eve dinner & it was fabulous! It was busy inside the restaurant but the service was great. Will definitely be going again!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A great Christmas celebration!sheepweaverDined on 12/21/2013The food was interesting, delicious and plentiful. The service was friendly and outstanding. The atmosphere was one of celebration that put us in the Christmas mood. We can't wait to go back for New Year's Eve!!!Special Features:
- ExcellentLisaDined on 12/7/2013me and my husband went out for our anniversary and had an amazing meal. service was great and I would recommend this restaurant to anyone!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved itRandyDined on 12/6/2013Great food, great service and server, He was superb. Couldn't ask for more.Special Features:
- Fantastically delicious surpriseStSuDined on 12/6/2013Found this restaurant online, took a chance - wow! The kind of delicious food that gives me recurring happy dreams. It was very noisy, but otherwise perfect. and if it was only noisy because everyone was having a good time, I can't really complain.Special Features:
- it was "good"localDined on 11/30/2013I expected more. The ambiance was great, service very friendly, but very very slow. The food was okay, again I expected better. The "braciole" was really a stracotto, the risotto had an odd (not pleasant) flavor; the "pounded chicken" was really strips of breast...again, disappointed for what I paid.
- I am never disappointed whenOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 11/28/2013I am never disappointed when I eat here. Everything was fabulous.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just fell shortLookinforgoodDined on 11/23/2013I have lived int the Sturbridge area for over 25 years. We are constantly looking for a restaurant in the area that we enjoy. Avolnios fell short. Lovely atmosphere! Server was great. A couple of things would make us want to come back again. First all of the meals were swimming in sauce. The calamari was smothered in a red sauce; spicy and good, just too much. We don't mind paying for a meal that is really good. We want Avolino to be successful. We want to encourage our friends to dine there. Calamari, Lamb Shank, Braciole,especially heavy on the sauce. Scallops were nicely done. Arugula salad was a nice addition.. Might I suggest, go lightly and work on a better presentation.
- Great place to eat!SJAuntieDined on 11/22/2013Avellino is a great place to enjoy Italian food in a quiet, friendly atmosphere. The staff is very attentive to your needs and the food was excellent and reasonably priced! Each of my friends and I enjoyed dining here for dinner and will most likely return again in the near future! I would highly recommend Avellino for date night or a night out with the girls.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely dining, sparce settingzapperDined on 11/15/2013We had a very enjoyable dinner, well served, nicely plated and served hot. The chef did a perfect job on the main course,although I would rethink the cheddar risotto. We all thought the room was a little sterile and that some dashes of bright colors would have given it a little life, the muted colored walls and white material covered windows left us with a blank background that seemed to dull our table conversation. A little noise dampening would help quiet conversations from other tables.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I ate too much!sheepweaverDined on 11/15/2013The food was beyond fabulous and I couldn't stop!! Everything was outstanding, can't wait to return.Special Features:
- A nice place in central MassBappDined on 11/9/2013Tasty take on Italian cuisine. If you like bold flavors and large helpings you will enjoy Avellino. A short but decent selection of Italian wines. Our server was both personable and professional and the best we have encountered in this neighborhood.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Experience!LugKimDined on 11/2/2013We met friends for dinner. All six of us were extremely happy with our meals. The waiter was very knowledgeable about the wine and food selections making excellent recommendations. Would highly recommend this restaurant and plan to return soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- All around just awesome experience.OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/2/2013All around just awesome experience...food, ambiance, service. Will defintiely be back.Special Features:
- Anniversary dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/30/2013First tie at Avellino's. The food and service were excellent; honestly the reviews (all of which were good) don't do it justice. The seating chairs could have been a bit more comfortable (I have an injured leg so that does kind of matter). But overall I would highly recommend the restaurant; I will definitely return again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Applause to the chefDebbiemDined on 10/26/2013Haven't been to Sturbridge in ages, used to come here as a child with mom and dad. Was having a reunion of sorts with my Big Brother, and I knew he liked certain foods, I looked up the menu, spotted some of the appetizers and took a chance. Best move I've made in awhile! Great food from start to finish. I will definately recommend and return to Avellino's.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service was outstandingKimberlyDined on 10/18/2013When I go out to eat I want good food but more importantly I look for good service. That is exactly what I got at Avalino's The service was wonderful and the food was delicious. We will defiantly be back.Special Features:
- Love you guysHudziksDined on 10/11/2013We go there for the food, and for Danny who works there. The service is always exceptional and we're treated as an important customer. Thanks for another great night, Greg & Kristine HudzikSpecial Features:
- Girls night outbabson97VIPDined on 10/9/2013My friend and I have been going to Avellino for our monthly get together's and we have never been disappointed. The food has always been delicious. Quite often we try their specials, for they sound too good to pass up, and we are very rarely disappointed. During the fall season, I would HIGHLY recommend the butternut squash risotto balls for an appetizer - absolutely amazing! Looking forward to our next visit!Special Features:
- Great night outGerryDined on 10/4/2013Our experience at Avellino's was outstanding. The food was spectacular and the service very attentive. We highly recommend Avellino's .Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- enjoyableenjoyfoodDined on 10/1/2013We had an enjoyable time. The service was excellent and the food was good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great dinner before a playDaveDined on 9/28/2013My husband and I had dinner at Avellino's for the first time on Sat. night. We loved it. We each had the pasta and meatballs. One of the best I've ever had.And We've been to Italy. The bread was to die for. And the salad light and tasty. We had so much left over we will be enjoying it each for our dinner tonight. We did not have room for dessert, but saw the sample tray go by.WOW. We are real foodies and put this one at the top of our list. Plus the staff was over the top friendly and professional. Karen and David Richards. 9/28/13Special Features:
- Fantastic Find!HolliDined on 9/28/2013Needed a restaurant to meet up with family from out of town and this was the place.... Great food, service and ambiance. I remember the type of restaurant that used to be in this place and it was very over priced. The quality of food matched the price. Bar drinks were a bit pricey for the size drinks we were served but that was overlooked quickly by the attentive service and great food. Thank you for the great night out...will be back soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never DisappointsJennaflexDined on 9/13/2013Avellino is always a fabulous time. Table Three (group ownership of this and two other local restaurants) always puts their best foot forward. The food is top-notch, service outstanding, ambiance delightful...love, love, love this place! Nothing but the best.Special Features:
- Great Food Warm Inviting AtmosphereCookieDined on 9/7/2013Fresh warm bread and fragrant dipping oil was brought soon after we were seated by our well trained and knowledgeable waiter. The wine list was varied and adequate. We started with the calamari which was more than mildly spicy as noted on the menu but quite delicious. The service was perfectly paced and above standard without being intrusive. My salmon was fresh and perfectly prepared and the spinach not drenched in garlic. My husband enjoyed his seafood and pasta, again fresh, perfectly seasoned, and brought to the table piping hot. Their desserts looked tantalizing but we were too full. We found the prices quite reasonable considering the nice atmosphere, excellent service, and well prepared delicious food.Special Features:
- Soecial DinnerGrampsterDined on 8/24/2013My wife and I celebrated our 36th wedding anniversary at Avellino's and could not have chosen a better restaurant. Everything was superb and what made it even more special was our waiter, Danny, who recommended a fantastic wine and also helped us with our menu choices. We can't wait to go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The best aroundlulu22zDined on 8/16/2013We have been fortunate enough to visit all of the Table Three Restaurants, and all are outstanding!!! We have recommended all of them to our friends and co-workers and they were impressed from atmosphere to service to food. The take out food offered for Superbowl Sunday........just as wonderful (and convenient)! Thanks Table Three!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was not as expected.OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/15/2013Food was not as expected. Poorly prepared. Would not recommend.
- Great findNewspix100Dined on 8/14/2013Meeting out of town friends in Sturbridge brought us to Avellino on the basis of some online reviews. No complaints, food was excellent and service was good. Prices are in line with the quality. One tip...if you look at their online menu, just remember that it's a sample and not exactly what you will find in the menu given to you at dinner. My wife had her sights on a certain dish that wasn't on the current menu, so she was disappointed. Avellino rates high for us and we will certainly return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The AvellinoOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/8/2013I recently went with my boyfriend to The Avellino in Sturbridge for his birthday. We wanted real, flavorful Italian food and that is exactly what we got. He had gotten chicken marsala and I ate a cheese ravioli with marinara sauce to die for. The restaurant had great deals like getting an appetizer, entree, and dessert for $19.95. All the food sounded delicious and tasted amazing. There was an extensive wine list and my boyfriend actually got an italian draft beer which he said was the best beer he had ever tasted. The service was very good and the place was nice and quiet with romantic settings for couples but also nice bigger tables for a family event. You don't have to get too dressy to go out to eat here either which is always nice.Special Features:
- Better ItalianOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/1/2013Menu is standards but well prepared and with some inspired additions. Overall we enjoyed dinner. It's a bit noisy but not distracting.I would recommend this to a friend.