490 Geary Street
San Francisco, CA 94102Neighborhood:
Downtown / Union Square
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.avelinesf.com/
- Phone: 4153452303x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: M-Su 5:30pm-11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Californian, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Casey Thompson
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: The lounge area of The European is available for private events.
- Private Party Contact: Christopher Moore x
A word from Aveline
"Food has always played a pivotal role in my life. Coming from two very different families-one side influenced by the south and the other heavily influenced by French cuisine-I found cooking to be my canvas for culinary expressionism and storytelling at a very young age. I want to bring innovative dishes to the table that celebrate the abundance of our local bounty, and rich California cooking traditions"- Casey ThompsonContinued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerContemporary American
Aveline reviews from OpenTable diners
129 reviews since June 27, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (106)special occasion (74)romantic (39)neighborhood gem (33)hot spot (30)notable wine list (26)vibrant bar scene (15)good for groups (6)late-night find (4)great for lunch (1)Show More
- Very CreativeMikeVIPDined on 10/21/2014Great flavors...very creative dishes. Portions were small...my red abalone "steak" was size of half dollar! Good place to experience but most likely a one time visit. Her bar The European has great bar food and excellent drinks...highly recommended!Special Features:
- A very memorable dinner in SF!AbcdefVIPDined on 10/19/2014What a great place situated right near in Union Square. The food was creative and absolutely delicious. The decor and ambiance were modern and comfortable. I followed many other suggestions in the reviews and went with the crab macaron as an appetizer and the fried chicken as the entree. My companion got the yolk beignet. I do not really have anything negative to say. We were lucky to easily get a reservation - guess it helped that it was late on a Sunday night. I will definitely recommend this to anyone visiting SF and looking for an excellent meal with a lovely atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Date nightOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 10/18/2014We had not been out in a while and got a great recommendation to try Aveline and to try the Crab Macarons. We were not disappointed! The ambiance was lovely, the menu items interesting, and the prices more than fair. Loved it. Would definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent creative foodStevieBDined on 10/14/2014Ambience funky post-modern, food preparation and presentation are creative and delicious. You will love the fried chicken and crab macaroons.Special Features:
- FantasticLWT1VIPDined on 10/10/2014enjoyed the whole dinner....we shared various plates....creative, flavors where perfect....loved the presentation.....this was one of the best finds on OpenTable....if you are downtown do not missSpecial Features:
- Love This RestaurantChuckVIPDined on 10/4/2014The menu is different, but don't let it discourage you from giving Aveline a try. Everything is extreamely well prepared and fun. This is not a steak and potatoes spot. It is creative, delicious, exciting, and a great change of pace. Service is efficient and pleasant. Don't miss the crab cakes-not just for a great appetizer, but for one of the most unusual presentations in San Francisco. Every cource was a ten. Wonderful dinner spot prior to the theater.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FANTASTIC!!!!Rocky35VIPDined on 10/4/2014Aveline far exceeded our expectations!! The menu is unique (to say the least) but everything was delicious. Our server, Brandon, went to great lengths to explain the dishes and to suggests those that would assure the guests that their dietary requirements (no gluten, wheat, cilantro, shellfish) would be met. The prices were very fair considering the location (Union Square) and the high quality of the food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, awesome service!!OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/2/2014Went because we're top chef fans, and Casey Thompson didn't disappoint! Small menu, but big flavors. We had the avocado appetizer to start off, tasty! I had the Red Abalone and my wife had the Tomato Pasta, both were scrumptious. Our server was very pleasant, kept our glasses full, and was very easy to talk to. We can't wait to eat there again next time we visit San Francisco!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fascinating and Friendly!wineyfoodieDined on 9/29/2014Chef Casey Thompson does not disappoint. Every dish we ordered was freshly made, interesting, with the flavors were well balanced and delicious. Great place for people like me who delight in trying new foods. The staff was attentive, friendly and very knowledgeable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Second in one weekYummystuff525VIPDined on 9/26/2014Just as good as the first night. The seasonal heirloom tomato salad, vegetable garden, sea bass, and campanelle were all super delicious. I will be back!Special Features:
- Aveline has it all...ErikaSFVIPDined on 9/25/2014...great food, service, and atmosphere. You will find it all at Aveline! The total price of our meal was lower than one might expect. We shared three courses between two of us, and it was just the right amount of food. The crab macarons were amazing - a modern twist on the crab cake with delicious results. The fried chicken had a tempura-like crust that was the lightest I've ever tasted. The chicken was juicy and hot. The decor manages to be lively without being too loud.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice downtown additionTiaritchVIPDined on 9/25/2014A new find for downtown dining. They provide outstanding food quality and service. Try the crab macaroons and the on ice appetizer with wonderful oysters, shrimp and mussels. I enjoyed using staff expertise to match wines with the food pairing as their wine by the glass program is imaginative and far reaching.Special Features:
- It's all about the foodmisterlazyDined on 9/24/2014The dishes are creative, interesting and well thought out. I had the 4 course "prix fixe" menu which featured 3 choices for each course. The space is a little strange - not bad, just not quite harmonious some how. Solid wine list.Special Features:
- a very happy surprise!OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/24/2014This restaurant was chosen for dinner before going to the theater across the street. It was an amazing surprise and greatly enjoyable. The staff was knowledgeable and professional. The menu choices were carefully explained to us and the service through-out was excellent. We were served a wonderful "amuse bouche" followed by a beautifully prepared heirloom tomato salad, which we shared. My husband had an excellent sea bass main entre and I had a pasta dish with "pig cheek". Despite my slight misgivings over the name, it was delilcious as well.Desserts were good, but not up the standard which was set by the previous courses. Wines were perfect throughout. It was a most enjoyable part of a very nice evening out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- fun food adventureYummystuff525VIPDined on 9/23/2014The food and service were outstanding. My friend & I enjoyed the very unique culinary touches made in every dish. I enjoyed so much that I booked again on Friday to bring the husband. Nice wine list! I highly recommend for those who are a little more adventurous in trying interesting meals.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- New Pre-theater!FoodieboyDined on 9/23/2014Aveline intrigued me. I was aware that it had opened and was searching for a new pre-theater place to take a friend. It did not disappoint. It isn't cheap which may be the drawback for many. However, the food was impeccably designed and served with an eclectic wine list. Share some of the salad/palate dishes. The service was terrific!!! Thanks Wyatt!!!Special Features:
- Best new restaurant downtown SFdeevDined on 9/22/2014It was unexpected joy experienced while dining at Aveline recently. The review written by a local food critic did not do justice to the extraordinary meal we devoured. From the amuse bouche of tiny, freshly dug potatoes sautéed into a sumptuous bite to the amazing avocado appetizer, I was hooked. Then my sea bass was served and it was surreal - perfectly steamed Chilean bass was set into a bowl with wonderful fresh beans and mushrooms, and then bathed with a splash of seafood broth. Pure heaven. Figalicious for dessert was a surprise pairing of spicy ice cream, waver thin slices of tomatillo, house-made granola, and if course, gigs. Casey Thompson lets the ingredients sing and she brings a breath of fresh air to the food scene!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just misses greatnessNOPAchickDined on 9/18/2014This is a welcome addition to the downtown dining scene. The food is inventive but too rich (in fat), at least for the selection we ordered. More fresh vegetable touches would have been a plus. That said, the crab macaroons were sinfully delicious. The drinks we ordered from the companion bar were interesting if a bit weak.Special Features:
- Magicaljcook793Dined on 9/15/2014One of the best dining experiences we've ever had. We will definitely be back for the new Fall menu!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- philzPHILZVIPDined on 9/14/2014We had a late dinner here, after attending a performance at ACT, and it was excellent! Wonderful flavors, attentive service -- we just kept saying "wow!" Clearly, this is a perfect spot for a special dinner for theater-goers, and anyone in the Union Square area -- we recommend it highly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Close to ACTSkykingVIPDined on 9/13/2014Finally, a good restaurant near the theatres! The menu is very limited, but what we chose , a very unusual pasta dish, & the fried chicken were excellent. Our server was very pleasant, but the service was slow, so leave plenty of time, especially if you have a curtain to make.Special Features:
- innovative food, amazing serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 9/12/2014Aveline has among the most innovative food I have had lately and I eagerly anticipate my next visit to try some things I didn't get to. The menu is short, but that means everything is special. Not everything was exactly to my taste, but it was all interesting and unusual. The avocado ice cream is firmly lodged in my memory. Prices are high but not unreasonable for what you get. Most fun would be to go with a group and taste as many things as possible. The service was the best I have had in recent memeory.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SFvisitorVIPDined on 9/11/2014We had a great time and were really impressed by the unusual variety on the menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ccmamaVIPDined on 9/5/2014The food was outstanding, service very slow, wait staff needs much attention to detail!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cologne2Dined on 9/3/2014remarkable menu and kitchen. all dishes were constantly on a very high Level. Compositions comparable to best experimantal cuisines in Europe, yet at a much lower Price. Regretfully the Service let us down a few times.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Most fabulous dinner!IB723VIPDined on 9/2/2014What a find-great trip to find this well located (Union Square) restaurant with an amazing, creative chef who turned out unusual and delicious dishes. We already have our return reservation and have recommended this place to family and friends.Special Features:
- prengDined on 8/30/2014We had dinner at Aveline to celebrate our 48th anniversary. As has been said before the crab macaroons and the fried chicken were awesome. I would add that the campanelle with pig cheeks is equally as wonderful. Wyatt, our waiter, couldn't have been better - explaining the menu and giving us just the right amount of attention. All in all, a very good time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastique!LuvflavorDined on 8/30/2014Everything was wonderful! We started the heirloom tomato salad, my wife had the sea bass. A most wonderful taste of flavors in a tomato tea - I can still imagine how it tastes...I had the American Wagyu. Again a wonderful mix of flavors that continue to dance in my memory. As soon as people find out about this place it will be difficult to get a table. BTW, our server was Lance. A wonderful and pleasant gentleman!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bauer Review--Au ContraireBudncamVIPDined on 8/30/2014After our experience we were surprised by the less than favorable Bauer review. Instead of his views on architecture and decor (including criticism of the handicapped accommodation) he could have commented on the superb bar and bartenders, a curious omission. True, the menu and preparations are unique, but rewarding for the adventurous. The servers and overall service was spot-on, properly attentive and friendly. Granted, we are consumers, not accomplished critics, but don't let the Bauer review dissuade you from trying Aveline.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great new findtruemavenVIPDined on 8/27/2014This is a very special new restaurant in an area that needs it. Aveline is located directly across from The Curran theater and ACT. Although the menu is very small, the food is totally unique. Highly recommended for a gourmet experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Set your course for AvelinewinedinefunVIPDined on 8/25/2014A great experience. An easy walk from our hotel in the Union Square area., we were seated immediately even though we were a few minutes early. Dining area was nice if a bit noisy. Our waiter, John, was attentive and professional, answering all our questions. We started with the Crab Macarons, which were delightful. I had the Wagyu beef with charred onions and scallop mousse for my main (paired with Montecillo Gran Reserva 2006), and my wife had the Fried chicken (with kimchi powder, pickled vegetables, red pepper). Both dishes were excellently prepared and quite tasty. Dessert was a deconstructed nectarine parfait-y creation. Overall a wonderful meal. Kudos to Chef Thompson and the staff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unbelievable!KRSBVIPDined on 8/23/2014We are huge foodies and eat out a lot. We are almost impossible to impress and Aveline delivered! WOW. Innovative for sure and the chef takes a lot of risks, but when they pay off, the result is extraordinary. And the sommelier Betsy Ross is RIGHT ON in her picks. Her collection of wine from small lesser known vineyards is unique in a town where that is next to impossible to do. And her pairings take the meal to the next level. If you love farm to table but looking for the next big thing, Aveline is the place for you! LOVE.Special Features:
- LexieVIPDined on 8/22/2014Great to have a restaurant of this quality near the theaters and downtown Great combinationsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Interesting but not too fineTANDBDined on 8/17/2014Food was of high quality in terms of look, freshness and taste. Not necessarily a Michelin star suspect as ambience, service and food didn't fit too much together. But for a special occasion still quite a nice contrast to diners, noble Italian or French restaurants. Unfortunately - as many restaurants in the U.S. - they kill quite much of unique tastes with the chlorish taste of the water they serve and they make their ice of. Staff was friendly but not empathic...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Top Chef DisappointsOpenTable Diner Since 2002VIPDined on 8/16/2014Aveline provided beautifully presented food in a well-decorated space. However, Chef Thompson seems to have forgotten the golden rule: the food, above all else, needs to taste good. All of the dishes were conceived around the presentation instead of coming up with the best tasting dish and then figuring out how to make those ingredients beautiful. Many of the dishes ordered tasted too greasy or salty. Also, I think it's odd to charge for palate cleansers ("palate reset" each at $6) when lots of other comparable restaurants provide this as a complimentary dish in between courses. We spent $150 for a dinner for 2 and felt it was not worth the price tag. Last, the seats are horrible and extremely uncomfortable to sit on.
- A five star gemMonicamdDined on 8/15/2014Amazing food, fabulous atmosphere and great service! From the crab macarons presented in a cute box to the amazing wagyu and the batter dessert, this meal was spectacular! Each course was better than the last and I enjoyed every single bite!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never again.foodiesaurusDined on 8/14/2014I was incredibly excited about going to this restaurant-- I am the kind of foodie who doesn't bat an eye at an expensive dinner, and I had wanted to go here since the grand opening as this beautifully appointed spot is right around the corner from my house. The menu was interesting-- there are a few molecular gastronomy stunts on there, like the kimchi powder that comes with the fried chicken-- but the service here was an absolute nightmare. I've never been to a restaurant of this caliber with services that was this inattentive, slow and unprofessional. Showed up on time for my 8:30 reservation, and no one asked for a drink order until 8:54pm-- thanks but no.Special Features:
- Service was outstandingEscapefromtheSubburbsVIPDined on 8/10/2014Lance our waiter could not have been more accommodatingSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food and presentation.MindyDined on 8/9/2014We went here for dinner on a Saturday night at 6:30pm. The restaurant is divided into two sections. They sat us at the kitchen side where no one was seating. The other side had a nicer atmosphere. The food, presentation and service was very nice, but the portions were way too small for the price. Also, the menu selection is very limited.Special Features:
- Mixed experienceFoodie117VIPDined on 8/8/2014Food was good but not exceptional. Ordered almost everything on the menu except salad and oysters. They ran out of yolk beignet. :-( the best part was the chef came out and greet us but was also promised a kitchen tour which later the evening was rescinded. The crab macaroon is a bit overdone. The best dishes were avocado and bread. Corkage only $25 per bottle no limits.Special Features: