490 Geary Street
San Francisco, CA 94102Neighborhood:
Downtown / Union Square
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.avelinesf.com/
- Phone: (415) 345-2303
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: M-Su 5:30pm-11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Californian, Contemporary American
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: The lounge area of The European is available for private events.
- Private Party Contact: Jadd Elkeshen 4153452309x
A word from Aveline
Progressive Californian CuisineContinued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerContemporary American
Aveline reviews from OpenTable diners
123 reviews since July 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (101)special occasion (63)romantic (38)neighborhood gem (31)notable wine list (27)hot spot (26)good for groups (9)vibrant bar scene (8)late-night find (5)great for lunch (1)Show More
- KentuckianSweetVIPDined on 11/17/2014We were in Napa for five days and our dinner at Aveline was our most spectacular, delicious, well presented, most interesting meal of our trip. Thank you for a wonderful dining experience!! Well done!!!I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very good but somewhat pretentiousrich510VIPDined on 11/15/2014Somewhat pretentious very modern, cute foodie food. Crab macaroons were delicious but tiny and expensive. Restaurant spent the money to serve them in a fancy box. Too cute! would have preferred another macaroon and no fancy box. Mushroom appetizer also very good. Fried chicken, a popular main item, was greasy and did not seem like great quality chicken, with very little substance, but the fruit sauce was delicious. Dessert of brown batter was cute idea but too sweet and heavy for more than one taste. Very limited menu with no salad. Charge $16 to get a big platter of bread for 4 people, with no smaller version for 2. Unlike others we found the service excellent. Convenient to theater.Special Features:
- TV foodGbOkVIPDined on 11/14/2014The crab macaroons were good. Everything else was a confusing mess. It was like eating at a top chef competition. Weird combinations that just did not work. The famous yolk beignet was mostly bread with greasy fat (lardo). The black cod was ok but a totally silly presentation. And the chocolate brownie batter was not edible. My partner is French and she never leaves anything chocolate on the table. This was one bite for each of us. This resto is very sad comment on how food tv has ruined dining in America.
- Pretty greatCJCbostonVIPDined on 11/13/2014Started with those crab macarons - quite remarkably rich. Enough so that by the end of that dish, I could not even manage a main course; my gratitude to the waiter for allowing me to forego it. The funghi was more interesting than a flavor composite - and the American Wagyu was a little tough though rice/chanterelle around it was deeply satisfying. Oh yeah - the opener beet / veal bisque was another wow. Note - The room can be loud - so be prepared for that type of volume if you go.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Theater dinnerUniqladyDined on 11/12/2014we made reservations for dinner before an ACT show. My husband and I both enjoyed the cocktails we got at the bar. The mushroom appetizer I ordered was excellent. The carrot dessert and coffee ice cream desserts were fabulous. Service was excellent, I miss the caricatures on the walls.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- fancyAndyDined on 11/11/2014They have many interesting dishes on the menu; it was fun to try some of them.Special Features:
- Crab cakes and fried chicken!GoodSFOdiningDined on 11/8/2014We had a very good dinner, with the crab macaroons and fried chicken being our favorite parts of the meal, which was very good all around. Our server, Marla, gave us excellent personal service in their small but comfortable dining area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing meal! Best in SF!MatiColaDined on 11/7/2014I've always been a fan of Top Chef and I did recall seeing Casey Thompson compete but didn't remember what she had made on the show or what her specialty was. The first thing I had in the restaurant was the Crab Macaroon or as I call them, crac macaroon, OMG sooo good, next had the Black Cod, amazing. We were in the city for 5 night and were going to try different restaurants, ended up going 3 out the 5 nights back to Aveline to keep eating the crac macaroon and the black cod. If I can describe Casey's food, I would say you can absolutely taste the passion and love that she puts into every dish, every plate was carefully decorated and all the meals I ate were consistently good. Well done Casey! This proves you r a force to recon with!Special Features:
- Wow - Awesome & innovative mealTedFNJDined on 11/7/2014In SF for a conf. Ate at some really great places. Aveline was the best meal all week. Cool looking restaurant - Modern yet warm. Food is why you should go. Worried about the small menu but all in my group of 8 found something they loved. Had to pay for bread but the quality and spreads were worth it (ordered a 2nd) Apps - mushrooms and crab macaroons we awesome. I had the yolk beignet which was amazing - duck egg cooked in the beignet with a thin layer of Waygu over the top and a light sauce - cool presentation and tasted great. Others had the black cod, Waygu and Carmelle dishes were great. Desserts - delicious and cool presentation. Must try in SF. "Top Chef" Casey Thompson was there, visited table and posed for pics. Cool.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A bit disappointingtenngirl47VIPDined on 11/6/2014I loved Casey on Top Chef, but found her restaurant to overpriced for what it was and sometimes too focused on presentation rather than having the flavors meld.Special Features:
- Great!OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 10/30/2014Went looking for great food with some friends from out of town and was not disappointed!Special Features:
- Inventive foodNYfoodie555Dined on 10/29/2014I do not write reviews routinely but this place deserves the accolades. Very inventive and it works. A must try!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/24/2014The bar service was borderline ridiculous prior to dinner. Dinner however was pretty good.
- delicious food!KateDined on 10/23/2014The crab macaroons are a must-have (so delicious and presentation is great), as well as the black cod - it was SO SO GOOD. Only con is that the restaurant was a little dead - not sure if that's just because its new, but that was a little sad, esp. since the food is so good. Bar next door is a miss. But the food here (and the fact that Chef Casey Thompson was in the kitchen) are major pluses!Special Features:
- Amazing!JulieBrown0428Dined on 10/23/2014We initially went to Aveline because we were big Casey Thompson fans while she was on Top Chef - well she has lived up to her reputation. The food was amazing! I highly recommend it to anyone wanting to try something different, I had the fried chicken and it was easily the best fried chicken I ever had! Definitely a must go place in San Fran!Special Features:
- Very CreativeMikeVIPDined on 10/21/2014Great flavors...very creative dishes. Portions were small...my red abalone "steak" was size of half dollar! Good place to experience but most likely a one time visit. Her bar The European has great bar food and excellent drinks...highly recommended!Special Features:
- A very memorable dinner in SF!AbcdefVIPDined on 10/19/2014What a great place situated right near in Union Square. The food was creative and absolutely delicious. The decor and ambiance were modern and comfortable. I followed many other suggestions in the reviews and went with the crab macaron as an appetizer and the fried chicken as the entree. My companion got the yolk beignet. I do not really have anything negative to say. We were lucky to easily get a reservation - guess it helped that it was late on a Sunday night. I will definitely recommend this to anyone visiting SF and looking for an excellent meal with a lovely atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Date nightOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 10/18/2014We had not been out in a while and got a great recommendation to try Aveline and to try the Crab Macarons. We were not disappointed! The ambiance was lovely, the menu items interesting, and the prices more than fair. Loved it. Would definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent creative foodStevieBDined on 10/14/2014Ambience funky post-modern, food preparation and presentation are creative and delicious. You will love the fried chicken and crab macaroons.Special Features:
- FantasticLWT1VIPDined on 10/10/2014enjoyed the whole dinner....we shared various plates....creative, flavors where perfect....loved the presentation.....this was one of the best finds on OpenTable....if you are downtown do not missSpecial Features:
- Love This RestaurantChuckVIPDined on 10/4/2014The menu is different, but don't let it discourage you from giving Aveline a try. Everything is extreamely well prepared and fun. This is not a steak and potatoes spot. It is creative, delicious, exciting, and a great change of pace. Service is efficient and pleasant. Don't miss the crab cakes-not just for a great appetizer, but for one of the most unusual presentations in San Francisco. Every cource was a ten. Wonderful dinner spot prior to the theater.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FANTASTIC!!!!Rocky35VIPDined on 10/4/2014Aveline far exceeded our expectations!! The menu is unique (to say the least) but everything was delicious. Our server, Brandon, went to great lengths to explain the dishes and to suggests those that would assure the guests that their dietary requirements (no gluten, wheat, cilantro, shellfish) would be met. The prices were very fair considering the location (Union Square) and the high quality of the food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, awesome service!!OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/2/2014Went because we're top chef fans, and Casey Thompson didn't disappoint! Small menu, but big flavors. We had the avocado appetizer to start off, tasty! I had the Red Abalone and my wife had the Tomato Pasta, both were scrumptious. Our server was very pleasant, kept our glasses full, and was very easy to talk to. We can't wait to eat there again next time we visit San Francisco!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fascinating and Friendly!wineyfoodieDined on 9/29/2014Chef Casey Thompson does not disappoint. Every dish we ordered was freshly made, interesting, with the flavors were well balanced and delicious. Great place for people like me who delight in trying new foods. The staff was attentive, friendly and very knowledgeable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Second in one weekYummystuff525VIPDined on 9/26/2014Just as good as the first night. The seasonal heirloom tomato salad, vegetable garden, sea bass, and campanelle were all super delicious. I will be back!Special Features:
- Aveline has it all...ErikaSFVIPDined on 9/25/2014...great food, service, and atmosphere. You will find it all at Aveline! The total price of our meal was lower than one might expect. We shared three courses between two of us, and it was just the right amount of food. The crab macarons were amazing - a modern twist on the crab cake with delicious results. The fried chicken had a tempura-like crust that was the lightest I've ever tasted. The chicken was juicy and hot. The decor manages to be lively without being too loud.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice downtown additionTiaritchVIPDined on 9/25/2014A new find for downtown dining. They provide outstanding food quality and service. Try the crab macaroons and the on ice appetizer with wonderful oysters, shrimp and mussels. I enjoyed using staff expertise to match wines with the food pairing as their wine by the glass program is imaginative and far reaching.Special Features:
- It's all about the foodmisterlazyDined on 9/24/2014The dishes are creative, interesting and well thought out. I had the 4 course "prix fixe" menu which featured 3 choices for each course. The space is a little strange - not bad, just not quite harmonious some how. Solid wine list.Special Features:
- a very happy surprise!OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/24/2014This restaurant was chosen for dinner before going to the theater across the street. It was an amazing surprise and greatly enjoyable. The staff was knowledgeable and professional. The menu choices were carefully explained to us and the service through-out was excellent. We were served a wonderful "amuse bouche" followed by a beautifully prepared heirloom tomato salad, which we shared. My husband had an excellent sea bass main entre and I had a pasta dish with "pig cheek". Despite my slight misgivings over the name, it was delilcious as well.Desserts were good, but not up the standard which was set by the previous courses. Wines were perfect throughout. It was a most enjoyable part of a very nice evening out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- fun food adventureYummystuff525VIPDined on 9/23/2014The food and service were outstanding. My friend & I enjoyed the very unique culinary touches made in every dish. I enjoyed so much that I booked again on Friday to bring the husband. Nice wine list! I highly recommend for those who are a little more adventurous in trying interesting meals.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- New Pre-theater!FoodieboyDined on 9/23/2014Aveline intrigued me. I was aware that it had opened and was searching for a new pre-theater place to take a friend. It did not disappoint. It isn't cheap which may be the drawback for many. However, the food was impeccably designed and served with an eclectic wine list. Share some of the salad/palate dishes. The service was terrific!!! Thanks Wyatt!!!Special Features:
- Best new restaurant downtown SFdeevDined on 9/22/2014It was unexpected joy experienced while dining at Aveline recently. The review written by a local food critic did not do justice to the extraordinary meal we devoured. From the amuse bouche of tiny, freshly dug potatoes sautéed into a sumptuous bite to the amazing avocado appetizer, I was hooked. Then my sea bass was served and it was surreal - perfectly steamed Chilean bass was set into a bowl with wonderful fresh beans and mushrooms, and then bathed with a splash of seafood broth. Pure heaven. Figalicious for dessert was a surprise pairing of spicy ice cream, waver thin slices of tomatillo, house-made granola, and if course, gigs. Casey Thompson lets the ingredients sing and she brings a breath of fresh air to the food scene!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just misses greatnessNOPAchickDined on 9/18/2014This is a welcome addition to the downtown dining scene. The food is inventive but too rich (in fat), at least for the selection we ordered. More fresh vegetable touches would have been a plus. That said, the crab macaroons were sinfully delicious. The drinks we ordered from the companion bar were interesting if a bit weak.Special Features:
- Magicaljcook793Dined on 9/15/2014One of the best dining experiences we've ever had. We will definitely be back for the new Fall menu!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- philzPHILZVIPDined on 9/14/2014We had a late dinner here, after attending a performance at ACT, and it was excellent! Wonderful flavors, attentive service -- we just kept saying "wow!" Clearly, this is a perfect spot for a special dinner for theater-goers, and anyone in the Union Square area -- we recommend it highly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Close to ACTSkykingVIPDined on 9/13/2014Finally, a good restaurant near the theatres! The menu is very limited, but what we chose , a very unusual pasta dish, & the fried chicken were excellent. Our server was very pleasant, but the service was slow, so leave plenty of time, especially if you have a curtain to make.Special Features:
- innovative food, amazing serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 9/12/2014Aveline has among the most innovative food I have had lately and I eagerly anticipate my next visit to try some things I didn't get to. The menu is short, but that means everything is special. Not everything was exactly to my taste, but it was all interesting and unusual. The avocado ice cream is firmly lodged in my memory. Prices are high but not unreasonable for what you get. Most fun would be to go with a group and taste as many things as possible. The service was the best I have had in recent memeory.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SFvisitorVIPDined on 9/11/2014We had a great time and were really impressed by the unusual variety on the menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ccmamaVIPDined on 9/5/2014The food was outstanding, service very slow, wait staff needs much attention to detail!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cologne2Dined on 9/3/2014remarkable menu and kitchen. all dishes were constantly on a very high Level. Compositions comparable to best experimantal cuisines in Europe, yet at a much lower Price. Regretfully the Service let us down a few times.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.