490 Geary Street
San Francisco, CA 94102Neighborhood:
Downtown / Union Square
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.avelinesf.com/
- Phone: 4153452303x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: M-Su 5:30pm-11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Californian, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Casey Thompson
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: The lounge area of The European is available for private events.
- Private Party Contact: Christopher Moore x
A word from Aveline
"Food has always played a pivotal role in my life. Coming from two very different families-one side influenced by the south and the other heavily influenced by French cuisine-I found cooking to be my canvas for culinary expressionism and storytelling at a very young age. I want to bring innovative dishes to the table that celebrate the abundance of our local bounty, and rich California cooking traditions"- Casey ThompsonContinued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerContemporary American
Aveline reviews from OpenTable diners
136 reviews since May 20, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (105)special occasion (79)romantic (43)hot spot (35)neighborhood gem (29)notable wine list (24)vibrant bar scene (13)good for groups (12)late-night find (5)great for brunch (2)great for lunch (2)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- philzPHILZVIPDined on 9/14/2014We had a late dinner here, after attending a performance at ACT, and it was excellent! Wonderful flavors, attentive service -- we just kept saying "wow!" Clearly, this is a perfect spot for a special dinner for theater-goers, and anyone in the Union Square area -- we recommend it highly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Close to ACTSkykingVIPDined on 9/13/2014Finally, a good restaurant near the theatres! The menu is very limited, but what we chose , a very unusual pasta dish, & the fried chicken were excellent. Our server was very pleasant, but the service was slow, so leave plenty of time, especially if you have a curtain to make.Special Features:
- SFvisitorVIPDined on 9/11/2014We had a great time and were really impressed by the unusual variety on the menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ccmamaVIPDined on 9/5/2014The food was outstanding, service very slow, wait staff needs much attention to detail!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cologne2Dined on 9/3/2014remarkable menu and kitchen. all dishes were constantly on a very high Level. Compositions comparable to best experimantal cuisines in Europe, yet at a much lower Price. Regretfully the Service let us down a few times.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Most fabulous dinner!IB723VIPDined on 9/2/2014What a find-great trip to find this well located (Union Square) restaurant with an amazing, creative chef who turned out unusual and delicious dishes. We already have our return reservation and have recommended this place to family and friends.Special Features:
- prengDined on 8/30/2014We had dinner at Aveline to celebrate our 48th anniversary. As has been said before the crab macaroons and the fried chicken were awesome. I would add that the campanelle with pig cheeks is equally as wonderful. Wyatt, our waiter, couldn't have been better - explaining the menu and giving us just the right amount of attention. All in all, a very good time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastique!LuvflavorDined on 8/30/2014Everything was wonderful! We started the heirloom tomato salad, my wife had the sea bass. A most wonderful taste of flavors in a tomato tea - I can still imagine how it tastes...I had the American Wagyu. Again a wonderful mix of flavors that continue to dance in my memory. As soon as people find out about this place it will be difficult to get a table. BTW, our server was Lance. A wonderful and pleasant gentleman!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bauer Review--Au ContraireBudncamVIPDined on 8/30/2014After our experience we were surprised by the less than favorable Bauer review. Instead of his views on architecture and decor (including criticism of the handicapped accommodation) he could have commented on the superb bar and bartenders, a curious omission. True, the menu and preparations are unique, but rewarding for the adventurous. The servers and overall service was spot-on, properly attentive and friendly. Granted, we are consumers, not accomplished critics, but don't let the Bauer review dissuade you from trying Aveline.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great new findtruemavenVIPDined on 8/27/2014This is a very special new restaurant in an area that needs it. Aveline is located directly across from The Curran theater and ACT. Although the menu is very small, the food is totally unique. Highly recommended for a gourmet experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Set your course for AvelinewinedinefunVIPDined on 8/25/2014A great experience. An easy walk from our hotel in the Union Square area., we were seated immediately even though we were a few minutes early. Dining area was nice if a bit noisy. Our waiter, John, was attentive and professional, answering all our questions. We started with the Crab Macarons, which were delightful. I had the Wagyu beef with charred onions and scallop mousse for my main (paired with Montecillo Gran Reserva 2006), and my wife had the Fried chicken (with kimchi powder, pickled vegetables, red pepper). Both dishes were excellently prepared and quite tasty. Dessert was a deconstructed nectarine parfait-y creation. Overall a wonderful meal. Kudos to Chef Thompson and the staff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unbelievable!KRSBVIPDined on 8/23/2014We are huge foodies and eat out a lot. We are almost impossible to impress and Aveline delivered! WOW. Innovative for sure and the chef takes a lot of risks, but when they pay off, the result is extraordinary. And the sommelier Betsy Ross is RIGHT ON in her picks. Her collection of wine from small lesser known vineyards is unique in a town where that is next to impossible to do. And her pairings take the meal to the next level. If you love farm to table but looking for the next big thing, Aveline is the place for you! LOVE.Special Features:
- LexieVIPDined on 8/22/2014Great to have a restaurant of this quality near the theaters and downtown Great combinationsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Interesting but not too fineTANDBDined on 8/17/2014Food was of high quality in terms of look, freshness and taste. Not necessarily a Michelin star suspect as ambience, service and food didn't fit too much together. But for a special occasion still quite a nice contrast to diners, noble Italian or French restaurants. Unfortunately - as many restaurants in the U.S. - they kill quite much of unique tastes with the chlorish taste of the water they serve and they make their ice of. Staff was friendly but not empathic...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Top Chef DisappointsOpenTable Diner Since 2002VIPDined on 8/16/2014Aveline provided beautifully presented food in a well-decorated space. However, Chef Thompson seems to have forgotten the golden rule: the food, above all else, needs to taste good. All of the dishes were conceived around the presentation instead of coming up with the best tasting dish and then figuring out how to make those ingredients beautiful. Many of the dishes ordered tasted too greasy or salty. Also, I think it's odd to charge for palate cleansers ("palate reset" each at $6) when lots of other comparable restaurants provide this as a complimentary dish in between courses. We spent $150 for a dinner for 2 and felt it was not worth the price tag. Last, the seats are horrible and extremely uncomfortable to sit on.
- A five star gemMonicamdDined on 8/15/2014Amazing food, fabulous atmosphere and great service! From the crab macarons presented in a cute box to the amazing wagyu and the batter dessert, this meal was spectacular! Each course was better than the last and I enjoyed every single bite!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never again.foodiesaurusDined on 8/14/2014I was incredibly excited about going to this restaurant-- I am the kind of foodie who doesn't bat an eye at an expensive dinner, and I had wanted to go here since the grand opening as this beautifully appointed spot is right around the corner from my house. The menu was interesting-- there are a few molecular gastronomy stunts on there, like the kimchi powder that comes with the fried chicken-- but the service here was an absolute nightmare. I've never been to a restaurant of this caliber with services that was this inattentive, slow and unprofessional. Showed up on time for my 8:30 reservation, and no one asked for a drink order until 8:54pm-- thanks but no.Special Features:
- Service was outstandingEscapefromtheSubburbsVIPDined on 8/10/2014Lance our waiter could not have been more accommodatingSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food and presentation.MindyDined on 8/9/2014We went here for dinner on a Saturday night at 6:30pm. The restaurant is divided into two sections. They sat us at the kitchen side where no one was seating. The other side had a nicer atmosphere. The food, presentation and service was very nice, but the portions were way too small for the price. Also, the menu selection is very limited.Special Features:
- Mixed experienceFoodie117VIPDined on 8/8/2014Food was good but not exceptional. Ordered almost everything on the menu except salad and oysters. They ran out of yolk beignet. :-( the best part was the chef came out and greet us but was also promised a kitchen tour which later the evening was rescinded. The crab macaroon is a bit overdone. The best dishes were avocado and bread. Corkage only $25 per bottle no limits.Special Features:
- Simply OutstandingWineNutDined on 8/8/2014We dined at Aveline after being referred by an acquaintance. I can say overall that the food, service and experience was nothing short of fantastic. The crab macarons were unbelievable and the avocado salad would be a definite must. We ate at a number of fine establishments on our trip to San Francisco, but Aveline took the prize for really inventive food and great service. Highly recomended!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great food, service still lackingOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/5/2014The food was really, really good. Crab macarons, sea bass, and fried chicken were the best dishes. The service after our apps seemed to lack possibly because the restaurant got a lot busier but the time between apps-entrees and entrees-desserts was significantly a longer waiting period. Overall I'd go back for the food as Chef Casey has proven she is more than just a TV celebrity chef.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2003Dined on 8/3/2014Innovative, visually stunning and delicious...can't wait to go back!Special Features:
- Great Food - Staff Needs TrainingOpenTable Diner Since 2003Dined on 8/2/2014I've read great things about the food at this new restaurant and decided to give it a go. I arrived early for my reservation to meet one of my guests at the bar. I checked in with the host and she asked if I wanted to sit down at my table. I said no I'll go to the bar and meet my friend there. That was 7:25. Our reservation was for 8:00 for three. After our third guest arrived at 8:00 I went back to the host station to let them know we were all there and she told us they will come get us when the table was ready. About 45 minutes later (yes it was not about 8:45 and we still were not seated). We finally got seated at a table that was empty at 8:00. Also the server staff needs some additional training on ingredients in the dishes.
- Terrible serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 7/29/2014The service was terrible, inattentive and our server was downright ride. The whole restaurant seemed overly impressed with itself, and the food was too fussy and lacked flavor.
- Excellent foodlive2enjoyVIPDined on 7/28/2014She'll do well there. We unfortunately had a very loud lady sitting next to us. Will go back thoughSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Aveline DeliversRichandDDined on 7/25/2014No one does justice to the abaca do like the appetizer at Aveline. For steak lovers, you can choose from the Japanese or American wagyu, both excellently prepared. The seafood selection is a tribute to the Bay Area's offerings. Finally, the wine list shows great variety, although in need of more California wines.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Aveline is incredibleFoodiegirlDined on 7/25/2014Tried Aveline for the first time and I loved every bite! Food, drinks and experience are a 10.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great dinner, but not yet amazingjessgnawyourbikeinhalfVIPDined on 7/25/2014It was lovely to sit in a restaurant for dinner that exuded a beautiful femininity for once. Our entrees came out about at least 5 minutes apart due in part to us receiving an order meant for another table. Apologies were made, so it wasn't a big deal, but it was noticeable enough. The amberjack and the abalone dishes were heavy handed with the salt. I loved the fazzoletti. The yolk beignet tasted like Chinese cha sui bao, not impressive. WE LOVED THE BREAD. I hated the Szechuan Peaches dessert. My mom's from Szechuan so I know the flavor profile well, and it didn't work for me. We felt like the "Me So ____" was a completely tasteless title that ended the meal on a sour note. No need to make people feel needlessly uncomfortable.Special Features:
- Top Notch from a Top Chefjoepepe123Dined on 7/24/2014The service was beyond spectacular. I was blown away by the staff the entire time I was there. The food was excellent. The crab macaroons are to die for. Just an amazing dining experience from start to finish.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very Nice.OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 7/20/2014Went here while visiting the city from San Diego. It was really very good. The beignet was kinda odd. But the crab macarons are awesome.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Eatible ArtLuv2t8steDined on 7/19/2014Every dish that was presented to us was a work of art. The corn pudding with squash blossoms was perfection as were the oysters and clams on ice. My Chilean sea bass was delicate and delicious. We ran out of time so no dessert for us, but we will be going back soon. Wait staff is top notch. Even though their water glasses are small and my husband would empty them every 5 minutes, they were promptly refilled. We LOVED this place!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very FriendlyOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 7/19/2014We were there early so we can catch a show after dinner and it was great! Food was great - we can definitely see where Casey is getting her inspiration from in her dishes. Services was good too.Special Features:
- fabulous findavidDined on 7/17/2014For a brand new restaurant, only open a little over a month, we were blown away. Everything was perfect. The food was interesting, hit the umami scale on almost every dish, and beautiful to look at. We loved the staff and they really knew the menu. Attention to detail evident at every step of the way! Marla even recommended an adaption to the desert menu which we loved. We will be back and will recommend to all in the downtown area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding!CJStavertVIPDined on 7/17/2014Discovered via an article in the SF Chronicle, and surpassed every expectation. Innovative menu and preparation, with outstanding service. Even better for groups larger then two as it is easier to sample the majority of the menu. Highly recommend!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Union Sq. gemRegularGuyDined on 7/14/2014Fell into Aveline from an Opentable local search after a dinner meeting was cancelled while in the area on a business trip. I was absolutely floored by this amazing restaurant which opened in early June. The food was excellent and the service could not have been any better than it was, my only regret was not being able to sample everything! Aveline will be a regular stop for me while visiting San Francisco, bravo!Special Features:
- AmazingjtlunaDined on 7/13/2014Everything from the 1st course to the 8 th course was amazing. Service and ambiance were equally spectacular.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- smittyDined on 7/12/2014Food was lovely to look at and delicious. It is also pricey and portions are on small side, so may not be welcome by big eaters. It was fine for me, but I don't eat a lot. One objection - they charge for bread which consists of a few cubes of bread. Our server was wonderful and very helpful. Overall it was a fine, special occasion place for us.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A real gem!OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/6/2014A truly great find in an almost brand new restaurant. the crab macaroons and the fried chicken were the best we have ever had in more than 50 years of fine dining including many in San Francisco. Please don't publish this review since the tiny place with only 36 or so seats will be over run and will be able to enjoy the truly unique and delicious food. Bill & Pat from Naples,Fl.Special Features:
- AwesomeAlicenicoVIPDined on 7/4/2014Awesome food! Made our family visiting from france feel welcome! Chef came to our table! Really nice set up. Thank u aveline team!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.