2728 East Thomas Rd.
Phoenix, AZ 85016Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.avanti-az.com/
- Phone: 6029560900x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:00am - 2:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Sunday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Continental, Italian, Mediterranean
- Executive Chef: Owner Chef Angiolo Livi & assistant Chef Luis DeOrta
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Delivery, Entertainment, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Avanti's catering division prides itself on creative, logistically executed events you and your guest will enjoy and remember! From large sit-down dinners to informal buffets Avanti has been catering for over 25 years. Authentic Italian dishes, homemade pasta, and hearty Tuscan inspired meats
- Entertainment: Piano Bar Music
DJ Music for private functions
- Special Events: Make your Holidays special Reservations Now!
Great Buffet's the whole family to enjoy!
Catering yourself? Pick up everything you need at Avanti.
Let us make your vision a reality, Full service catering from flowers to linens. Its is our pleasure to serve.
- Cross Street: Thomas and 28th Street
- Public Transit: Picks up and drops off in front of restaurant.
Complimentary ride service from most hotels
- Parking: Private Lot
- Parking Details: Private Lot in front of restaurant with ample parking and enough room for large buses to turn-around.
Valet parking is offered.
A word from Avanti
Avanti, a Valley tradition since 1974. . . Dramatic, crisp black and white interiors, candlelight and a quiet atmosphere. Vegetarians and Seafood lovers will be awed by the selections of homemade pasta from deliciously light Gnocchi Alfredo, Eggplant and Meat Lasagna, to seasonal hand crafted Ravioli. Fresh Fish and seafood dishes vary- from a Jumbo Shrimp Cocktail to an Italian crafted Cioppino. Avanti has also garnered numerous awards and accolades for our Ossobucco, said to be the best in town as well as robust steaks and chops (lamb and pork).Enjoy dessert and Cappuccino in the piano bar sweets that are carefully guarded family recipes include, Tiramisu, Cannoli, Creme Brulee with a crunchy burnt sugar crust but if your passionate about chocolate the chocolate mousse is infused with rum and whipped so fluffy and light you'll swear it's heaven sent!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Avanti reviews from OpenTable diners
34 reviews since June 23, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelQuiet
special occasion (23)romantic (19)neighborhood gem (16)fit for foodies (14)good for groups (11)notable wine list (7)great for lunch (4)late-night find (3)great for brunch (1)kid-friendly (1)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- AvanitBirthdayDined on 10/16/2014What can you say about a restaurant that has been in business 40 years, only that it is excellent. The classic white star service, the delicious food, the fact they make you feel special no matter who you are.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/11/2014Excellent food and service. Was very surprised it was not crowded on a Saturday night, The decor is a little "old school" but very comfprtable---almost felt like Tony Soprano would come through the door. We'll be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- doctorwolfDined on 10/6/2014Have been going to Avanti's since 1981--several visits per week at times. Moved out of the area, but have returned. Best sauces in Phoenix. Outstanding service by "grown-up" staff that do not introduce themselves and make cute remarks throughout lunch or dinner. Top notch place for business lunches, dates, and special occasions--or for no reason at all. Cannot say enough good things about this place, which has withstood every food fad to come down the pike. The carpaccio is still the best I have ever had--anywhere. Not on the lunch menu, but the chef will make it for you specially if you ask.Special Features:
- Good as alwaysJulieVIPDined on 10/2/2014We had such great service in the bar while we were having a drink and an appetizer, that we decided to stay there and eat. The food was excellent, and it was an all-around good experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JohnVIPDined on 10/1/2014This doesn't appear what it really is, but we took the ride and it is by far, the best Italian restaurant in Phoenix. 40 years old, family run and the ambience is awesome!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Old-school Chicago Italian FoodcytodocVIPDined on 9/28/2014This charming restaurant is tucked away in a so-so neighborhood in central Phoenix. It is a destination restaurant with no other high end places nearby but clearly well-known by those who enjoy good food. This was our first time so tried the restaurant week menu. Their Signature Cesar salad is a great starter. My partner boosted his lasagna was outstanding and the best he ever ate. I enjoyed my Parmesan encrusted salmon with a lemon piccata sauce as well. Dinner was topped off with a delicious egg-custard Flan. All three courses were consistently good and worth the calories.Special Features:
- Fine dininglarlarDined on 9/23/2014Just ate a great meal at Avanti's. The Service and food was first class. However when you come in the front door there is an odor that let's you know that the building has been around awhile. The interior definitely needs updating. But, I am returning because the food and service was outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyable but priceyEdandTamiDined on 9/19/2014The service very good, very personable server. Food was good, not great but we enjoyed it. We were there for Restaurant Week so I had one of the packages my wife did not. She had 2 wines and I had 2 beers. We each had an espresso drink and a sambuca. This what we normally do at an Italian Restaurant. The bill was $144 for the 2 of us! $175 with the tip. Not worth that type of bill. There are way 2 many places in Phoenix that you can get better food and similar total add Ons for under $100. Because of that we won't be back except maybe for a Canoli!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always goodJulieVIPDined on 9/16/2014I met three of my girlfriends at Avanti for drinks and a bite to eat. The service was awesome, and the food was very tasty. We will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love this placeKentgDined on 8/26/2014This was our third visit, still can't find a single thing that's disappointing, feels much like a classy Italian restaurant in Manhattan. The specials are always something that's amazing. Very comfortable setting. The most amazing service from a very charismatic and professional staff. We have been when they are packed and when they only had a couple tables, still a great experience no matter what. Even the humble ceaser salad which seems to be impossible for most restaurants to make well is perfect. If you have a chance you should try them. Great for couples all the way to large groups. And you get dinning credit, you won't be disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 7/20/2014The two entrees we had didn't seem up to this fine restaurant's usual high standard.Special Features:
- you don't have to go to ItalythesuitDined on 7/20/2014Better then my grand mother from Naples. The seafood risotto was outstanding. to get Calamari and Scallops to be tender while keeping the shrimp al dente is clearly an art form. My wife and I both had it and we loved it. The service here is great. I drove 100 miles to eat here and I will be back.Special Features:
- A little disappointedDisappointedDined on 7/19/2014The chicken Alfredo was pretty good, but I requested broccoli be added and only received two pieces. The pasta with clam sauce was very bland, but I took what was left home and added sea salt, crushed red peppers and spices to make it better.
- Below averageRossDined on 7/10/2014We were the only customers. Several desert items were anavailable. Overall a very unpleasant experience
- OutstandingKarenDined on 7/1/2014Avanti is always a classic - great service (attentive but not annoying), fantastic food (just right portions that are delicious every time) and an comfortable ambiance (like restaurants used to be - cool, comfortable and relaxing. A Valley classic - we will always make Avanti a go to!Special Features:
- The following 496 reviews are from the Avanti reviews archive.
- Dinner & Wine PairingKojakDined on 6/21/2014My wife and I took advantage of a special dinner and wine pairing that was put on by the Italian Organization. The dinner was 4 courses accompanied by wine. Everything was excellent. Avanti's is always exceptional and we usually have John wait on us. He always takes great care of us and makes sure we are happy. The owner always comes around to check and makes sure that you are taken care of and that your meal is what you expected.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Kitchen NightmarePhxMSWDined on 6/20/2014Not going to waste too much time on this review because it was so awful. Bottom line, unless your name is Gordon Ramsey, do not step foot in this restaurant. Our service was fine, but the food was undercooked (they breaded the halibut!??!?), mushy, and tasted several days old. This experience would have been forgettable and/or forgiveable if they weren't also charging $35/plate for the halibut special. So many other restaurants in town that charge less for a better good experience. Bottom line, avoid Avanti.
- R&JTUCSONRJTUCSONDined on 6/19/2014We had late reservations and we were not rushed food was wonderful great waiter, We were the only ones in the restaurant , and were treated very wellSpecial Features:
- Very Good!gatorDined on 6/14/2014The halibut was perfectly prepared and presented. The service was flawless. The decor is very pleasing.Special Features:
- Food and Drinks were GreatalwaysonthegoDined on 6/9/2014The Martini's were the best, the Salmon appetizer was terrific and the entrée portions were just the right size.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- excellentTraveyeDined on 6/7/2014We have been going for over 9 years. Every time top marks.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lobster FestleelDined on 6/7/2014We had the lobster special - very good. Excellent martinis too. First class service. We will come back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We love AvantiOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/6/2014We live in Upstate NY and every time we travel to Arizona we make sure to fly into Phoenix so that we can eat at Avanti's. It is the BEST Italian food around!!Special Features:
- Very small portionsKdoggg41Dined on 5/23/2014My wife is not a big eater. Always has get a box for leftovers.she finished her entire meal. I left still hungry. Food was good.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/21/2014Four of us dined during restaurant week. Was $30 prix fixe involving 3 courses. Salad and entree came to the table quickly but waited a long time (it seemed) for the dessert. Upon arriving at 545pm it was not busy and quiet but as it got busier the noise level increased to where conversation became tough. Several would've liked to have a bottle of wine with dinner but unable to find a "reasonably" priced ($25-$30) bottle so we all drank waters. The food items were very good, quantity just right, but felt service could have been faster, start to finish was approximately 1 1/2 hours.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Old world charmOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/20/2014Good food, nice atmosphere a little in the expensive sideSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent MealKojakDined on 5/14/2014My wife decided to treat me to Avanti's since we love the food. I started out with a Caesar salad for an Appetizer while my wife had the smoked salmon. The Caesar is always wonderful but the smoked salmon was out of this world. She couldn't finish it so we brought the rest home to enjoy for breakfast. I had my usual - sautéed calamari Florentine - dinner portion, but you can order it as an appetizer. Always a favorite if you love calamari. My wife had the Maui Maui in a Vodka cream sauce and she said it was excellent. This was served with mixed veggies and a crispy style potato. Service was impecible as always. We highly recommend this restaurant to anyone wanting outstanding food and service.Special Features:
- AwesomeHappy6417Dined on 5/11/2014The food and service were awesome. Expensive but worth it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One on the better Italian in PHXnipperVIPDined on 5/11/2014A long drive from Scottsdale, but worth it. We enjoy the food and are very picky with Italian so that means something. Several homemade pastas are available and they are tremendous. After eating cardboard gnocchi and other pastas at some chains, this is a welcome change.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special occasions-brunchJDMBDined on 5/11/2014I hope that no-one finds out how great this place is for all the special occasions or I won't be able to get a table. It is always great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MehOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/11/2014The food wasn't bad. It wasn't good either. I won't be back.
- Avanti's Mothers Day BrunchJbdineoutDined on 5/11/2014My wife and I thoroughly enjoyed the Mother's Day Brunch. We were cheerfully welcomed upon our arrival. We were immediately escorted to our table and ordered our drinks immediately. After a few sips of our drinks we surveyed the buffet. There was something for everyone. The variety and layout was perfect. We stayed from 11:00AM to 1:15 enjoying various omelets, salads, main dishes and deserts. Superior for food and service. We will now return occasionally for special occasions in our family lives.Special Features:
- Good pasta and service.EatsoutalotDined on 5/10/2014Avanti's has had a reputation for decades in Phoenix...sadly, I think the time has come for them to examine decor and menu. As newer, healthier options abound in the neighborhood, Avanti owners should think about upgrading the place with new colors, less mirrors! The generational shift is happening and all of us old timers will soon be gone. We would hate to see Avanti's go away! BTW, the angel hair is delicious but the veal was inedible. The appearance and the taste were dreadful. Sorry to be the one to tell you this.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Italian diningluv2eatDined on 5/10/2014Our first visit and it will not be our last. We wish we had found Avanti earlier. It reminded us of the great Italian food we were used to in Boston and Providence. We had the Dover Sole and Mahi Mahi which while not what you may order at an Italian restaurant was exceptional. It is hard to find those dishes in the Phoenix area. The eggplant appetizer was excellent - could have eaten it as a main course with some pasta. Wine list and desserts we great. It is nice to be in a restaurant where nobody is wearing flip flops and shorts to dinner!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Avanti's In PHXRTinAZDined on 5/6/2014Before the Sctsdl location closed, years ago, we were regulars. Authentic Italian, quiet, impeccable service. The escargot was excellent, superb Caesar salad (not swimming in dressing thank you), risotto was excellent, pasta el dente, veal and sauce 5*. Lured into desert, creme brulee excellent. Dining room basically empty on a Tues night, we 3, another 4 came in around 8:00, 2 at bar, hope all is well. Would assume weekends are busy, hopefully. Our waiter was most attentive, and fun, a very enjoyable dinner.Special Features:
- We recommend this restaurantBabyboomerDined on 5/2/2014This will take you back in time for us seniors. Will return for dinner meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner at Avanti'sOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/29/2014My wife and I had an great meal at Avanti's. The service was excellent--very professional. The ambiance also was very pleasant and elegant. The calamari appetizer was very good. I loved the salad, which my wife and I split. The main pasta course was too much food for me, but it was very well prepared. I had no room for dessert, which was a shame. I highly recommend Avanti's!Special Features:
- What happened?YummyDined on 4/27/2014Where's the Avanti who's food was absolutely amazing? Where's the amazing white/Alfredo sauce and home made tortellini, because they weren't on our plates! The white sauce wasn't even white, it was brownish and straight out of the Ragu jar! We've been coming here since it opened 30 years ago, but won't be back after this expensive, incredibly lousy food experience. This would explain why the place place was empty...on a Saturday night. The only thing that hasn't changed is the first class service. Still as amazing as ever!
- Personal FavoriteMesaFoodieDined on 4/26/2014This was a 1st anniversary dinner at one of our favorite restaurants. The service was excellent, as was the food. We were pleasantly surprised when our waiter produced a dessert in honor of the occasion at the end of the meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love this food and serviceitalianfanDined on 4/20/2014Third time to Avanti with friends from out of town. The veal chop is outstanding, best in town. The service is professional and the staff makes you feel at home, very accommodating to any requests. The décor is a bit old fashioned Italian, lots of red but the food is right on.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.