Avant Tapas & Wine
Buellton, CA 93427Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Avant Tapas & Wine
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.avantwines.com/
- Phone: 8056864742x
- Hours of Operation:
Wine Tasting Every Day 11am - 9pm
11am - 3 pm
Happy Hour Bar Tapas
Mon-Fri 3pm - 5 pm
5pm - 9pm
Live Music Thur, Fri & Sat starting at 6pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Californian, Tapas / Small Plates
- Executive Chef: Robin Reynolds
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Contact us for more information
- Private Party Facilities: Avant's private dining room is available for groups of 8 to 18. Reservations are required and prix fixe menu encouraged.
- Private Party Contact: Laurel McCurdy 8056869400x225
- Entertainment: Thursday - Saturday
6:00 - 9:00
A word from Avant Tapas & Wine
Avant features local organic ingredients paired with Central Coast wines. Established in 2009 as a tasting room and Tapas bar for the clients of the Terravant Wine Company, Avant strives to be a "local-centric" culinary destination offering food made with ingredients sourced from Santa Barbara County producers.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
Avant Tapas & Wine - Best Restaurants in Buellton ›
Avant Tapas & Wine reviews from OpenTable diners
25 reviews since May 24, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
notable wine list (22)fit for foodies (16)good for groups (12)great for lunch (8)neighborhood gem (7)vibrant bar scene (6)romantic (6)special occasion (6)great for brunch (3)hot spot (3)scenic view (2)late-night find (2)kid-friendly (1)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- Unique and greatJontVIPDined on 9/17/2014We wrapped up up two days of wine tasting and tours with a stop here. We thoroughly enjoyed the experience. This is a great way to sample some great (and not quite great) wines paired with delicious food. I was surprised the place was not more busy. We loved the variety of both wine and food. We would definitely return.Special Features:
- yuknowhoo52Dined on 8/31/2014-they have a wine vending machine! -tapas weren't memorableSpecial Features:
- Delicious food and winePiranha84Dined on 8/31/2014Great atmosphere, knowledgeable and friendly staff. Excellent customer service, the food and wine are absolutely delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unexpected FindJermeisterDined on 8/31/2014We found Avant last minute on Labor Day weekend on Open Table. What a great suprise!They have a great selection of wines and the Tapa's were great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great placeBjornKDined on 8/24/2014We had a cosy evening dinner with lots of wine and good food. Go there primarily for the wine, since you can select and pour from 40 different wines, both from the local region and from other parts of California. The wine can run you up a high bill, but they are good though. You get to choose between a taster, half or full glass. We were two and did mostly tastings for $1-2 and the wine cost us $34 in the end. Not so bad, since you get to taste many different wines in a very casual way.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food & Wine PairingSYVFoodieDined on 8/22/2014We always enjoy trying new dishes with local wines to find which pair up best. The food is always fresh, innovative and delicious. I also found a new favorite wine. Avant is always a winner for a positive dining experience.Special Features:
- Delicious food, amazing wine wallDinneroutDined on 8/9/2014Our first visit to Avant was wonderful. The dinner menu is interesting, the portions are sufficient as opposed to overwhelming, and food choices are labeled well for ordering tapas or a larger meal. We particularly enjoyed the lobster mac and cheese! The wine wall was amazing, user friendly, and had a wide range of wine choices. We appreciated the taste, half glass, and full glass options.Special Features:
- it's just the bestwolfthecleanerDined on 7/25/2014I love the feel of this place, including the wall of wines. You have a nice view of the mountains or the wine making facility, which is awesome. I come here at least once a week, to try more dishes and repeat my favorites. Service was well-timed and friendly, wines were affordable. They have live music, which is fun and not blistering, it sounds great, just a nice place...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LOVE THIS PLACE!KimODined on 7/25/2014We stumbled upon The Succulant Cafe two years ago, and now it's become a key part of our annual trip to this area. The food is exciting, surprising and delicious, and we loved, loved, loved Robert, who was our host and guide throughout the entire mean and advised us on wine pairings throughout. I can't say enough positive about this place - I just wish there was a Succulent Cafe in Chicago!Special Features:
- Avantastic!CalidogDined on 7/17/2014We always have a good time here. Wait staff is uber friendly The food is really tasty & since we had lunch on the late side the place was nice & quiet.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- servicecatmgirlDined on 7/9/2014We had great service..The only thing was the food took forever to get out and mbrs of our party had finished eating before others ever received their food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Will go backCarmineDined on 7/4/2014I had read online reviews praising the pizza and "yuppie crack" and I wasn't disappointed; my wife and I especially enjoyed the pear and Gorgonzola pizza. We went on our own, but I will go back with another couple or two so we can try a bunch of different wines.Special Features:
- Wine lover's treat north of LAWestsidemolly9VIPDined on 6/29/2014Driving up the coast from LA we needed a place for lunch. Checked the map and Open Table. In the small town of Buellton, about 2and a half hours from LA we found Avant. A wine tasting bar, showcasing wines from all over the Santa Maria area. The restaurant was lovely, as was the service & food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely menuHungryMomDined on 6/26/2014Avant is a favorite of ours. Their menu changes seasonally, so it's always fresh with a few favorite entrees on regular rotation. Great selection of local wines and overall good waitstaff. Always a delight to eat here!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LastradeDined on 6/14/2014Great place for gathering with friends and have good wine and food. It has a good ambiance, specially when it has live music.Special Features:
- Not good for anniversaries.ElGrecoDined on 6/14/2014In researching Avant's website, we were under the assumption that the restaurant was seperated from the bar; not really. Our table was right next to the wine wall and it wasn't really a relaxing/romantic scene. The best dishes that we had were the yuppie crack & stuffed chicken. Everything was appropriately priced. We had a hard time finding a wine that we liked. A preponderance of their wines were average. Service was attentive, but there was a fail that cannot be overlooked. We ordered two pecan pies and we found a quarter-sized piece of paper while chewing. The server comped us a slice, but not the other one. I guess we had to experience it again in the other slice. Digging through food was not pleasant (we took it to go).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/6/2014Altho we had reservations for 8 people (6 actually showed up), another larger than expected group was accommodated instead. We were relegated to a private dining area which also doubled as the storage area for band equipment. We didn't feel properly compensated for this. We were each provided with a complimentary taste of wine; a nice bottle for the table would have been more appropriate.
- Food & Service subparKD119Dined on 5/25/2014The atmosphere was great, loved the decor and the giant window that looked out into the winery. However, the wait times for the food were extremely long. When we received the food, pieces of the appetizer were burnt, the entree was kind of bland and the prices were very high for the quality & size of meal. The quality just did not compare to other restaurants in the Santa Ynez Valley. If I ever go back, it'd just be for wine and a cheese plate, if that.Special Features:
- The following 63 reviews are from the Avant Tapas & Wine reviews archive.
- Something different to tryOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/9/2014the food was very good, the wine tasting was something different and fun. The service wasn't very good and the waitress would make excuses and cop a bit of an attitude instead of just owning any mishaps - and there were a few mishaps. But we're easy-going, so not a huge deal, but would be for others. I'd go back but most in our group said they would not.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Get your Avantastic club cardCalidogDined on 5/7/2014Love the food & wine/beer here. Plus we signed up for the Avantastic wine club last time we were there & we get 10% off on our food bill from now on! Thanks Avant:-)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun NightloveforwineDined on 4/26/2014This was our second time there and everyone we invite ends up loving the place and the experience. We look forward to going again when back in the area. food was delicious! great atmosphere to spend time with friends and loved ones!Special Features:
- Nice evening out.TwoLocalsDined on 4/19/2014Everything was great. The only down side was that two families had small children who were not in the mood for this restaurant. One was about 9 y/o and was not interested in any of the food and made no secret that he was unhappy. The second was a small toddler who was just unhappy at first, upon arrival. She leveled out and was not a noisy throughout as anticipated. The down side was that we got seated between the two families and it was very distracting for our quiet night out. It was not a real bad situation, but would have enjoyed it more if either they were seated away, or we were seated away. Sorry, but we went for a nice quiet evening dinner. It was still nice but could have been better.Special Features:
- Husband and I stopped by afterOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 4/8/2014Husband and I stopped by after reading some good reviews. We had a blast mixing our own wine and getting to label it. Food was very good. I had the sliders and husband had chicken sandwich. Definitely would come back here. And oh btw, service was top notch.Special Features:
- LunchBillsfanDined on 3/29/2014My wife and I were looking for a place to have lunch while in Solvang area and found this place on Open Table. We were very impressed by both the staff and the food. We also asked about bringing member of our corvette club and they gave us great information regarding large groups and we're very accommodating. Can't wait to go backSpecial Features:
- Great, unique wine experienceShelTVIPDined on 3/22/2014We happened upon Avant using OpenTable and previous reviews. What a great wine experience! There are a tremendous number of wines on tap available for sampling, half pour and full pour. Really fun wine experience but it's easy to loose track of time and wine with the self serve format. Food was great. Best mac and cheese ever! Server was more than a little disappointing. We had to work hard to elicit any information or recommendations from him and he really didn't seem to care at all about the evening. In such a vibrant, upscale venue it was really disappointing. Overall, we would definitely return for the great food and wine (just hope for a different server)!Special Features:
- Outstanding!GingerDined on 3/15/2014I brought my fiance to Avant Tapas & Wine for his birthday celebration and we really enjoyed ourselves. The service was wonderful, our waiter was on top of things and very personable. The food was also very good and fairly priced. We also did the Wine Blending Experience which was very unique. We even got a bottle of the wine we blended to take home! They also had live music which was heavenly. Overall this is a really nice place to take your significant other or a group of friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food and a wall of wineOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/14/2014Another Buellton winner. The food is good. We had the pear, gorgonzola and prosciutto pizza, and the "yuppie crack" which are dates stuffed with goat cheese, wrapped in bacon with some kind of balsamic drizzle. The wine situation is where you need to pay attention. You get a card with a $100 charge limit. You walk to the wall of wines which dispenses by the taste, half, or full glass. Very easy to lose count of how much you spend. The downside is the happy hour, which is 30% off on wine, because it only lasts from 3p-5p. Fine for stay at home parents who want to get tanked, but you'd have to take a day off work or leave early to enjoy the discount. I'll be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- wine liststeveDined on 3/13/2014Need to maintain wine list regularly. First four choices off the wine list were not available. For a wine specialty place, not acceptableSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- shifty service, great food!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/8/2014We walked in and ambiance was fantastic. We sat down an we got a wine card and best lattee! Anyway we wait at the bar for the rest of our group and the staff was great... well most of them. This young girl was absolutely amazing! I forgot her name but Laurals sister. She was on top of it and knew the menu very well. Then we got our server. Didn't have any recommendations and seemed like he didn't know too much about wine. Oh and mid-food-order... he walks away. Very poor server. But the buss boy and the young girl definitely picked up the slack! The food was fabulous and came out right on time. We even got to meet one of the chefs, Josh. He is one charming and knowledgeable? We will be back but we are definitely going to request a server...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Neat conceptBuelltonwinoDined on 3/7/2014Fun experience doing our own wine tasting. With tons of wine to choose from, we could pick a taste or a full glass from the self-serve row of wines. Me and the spouse had fun comparing and tasting each other's wine. Food was yummy too. Excellent cheeses and tapas.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ambiance, food and wine.TwoLocalsDined on 2/28/2014The staff was excellent and very pleasant. The wine wall was very nice and handy to be able to try different wines without a lot of expense. The food was nicely prepared, appropriately hot or cold as desired, and presented well. It was a rainy night and there was a moderate number of guests so it was not too loud. There were two guitarist who played very well during the dinner. Very nice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Energetic and coolOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 2/15/2014From the live duet to the self serve wine taps to the varied menu, very enjoyableSpecial Features:
- will returnscgreigVIPDined on 12/4/2013Food was unique and very tasty. Pork was moist and flavorful. Wife had wine and liked it alot. Waiter was one of best we have ever hadSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very disappointingOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/30/2013Was looking forward to tapas and local wine and was very disappointed on both counts. The food was awful -- no real tapas, for one thing. Just a few appetizers. Everything was greasy -- I mean really greasy -- the entree of pork medallions wrapped in bacon was sitting in a deep pool of pork fat. The kitchen reeked of smoke, the service was frenetic (waiters rushing around everywhere) yet not very attentive, and the noise was so loud you couldn't talk to your dinner partner. The wine machine is a good idea but not executed very well -- how about a few really good wines to taste instead of a lot of mid-level choices? Won't be back.
- Fun Wine Machines; Lackluster FoodeditorERDined on 11/30/2013We went to this restaurant based on the recommendation of a server at a valley tasting room. He made the food sound so delicious! We found it bland and over-priced. But the wine machines were fun. We'd go back for wine and an appetizer, but not for dinner.Special Features:
- Avant Wne and DineOut4DinnerDined on 11/23/2013Avant was overall a good dining experience. The only reason they received and overall "good" rating was due to the location of our table to the self serve wine dispensers. Other than that, the food was outstanding, and the service very attentive and friendly. There was also great live music, that was very enjoyable. We would recommend going, but just make sure to request a table away from the wine dispenser, so your space does not get invaded by the groups that may congregate by the dispensers. Other than that, very cool concept with the self serve wine dispenser for tasting or pouring, up to you. Great food!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food & musicSouthernGentlemanDined on 11/15/2013I live in New Orleans and this establishment had great food & music. The wine selection is wonderful and I enjoyed the self service. The shrimp and scalops rival some of the best restaurants in the Big Easy. Try many things and order things you have never eaten before, you will be pleasantly Surprised.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice atmosphereOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 11/10/2013We were at Avant on a Sunday night, and there were only a few tables taken. They probably don't have their best help on Sunday nights. Our waitperson was fairly clueless about the food and just stared blankly at some of our questions, like "Is the soup tomato-based?" She didn't seem to believe our wine card didn't work, but did give us a new one. She didn't ask us in what order we wanted the food to come out, and it came out pretty randomly. That said, the food itself was tasty. We had the soup, a salad, lamb skewers and sliders. The self-serve wine bar is fun and the atmosphere and decor are very stylish. It was cool looking out into the industrial part of the building. On a more happening night, I'd expect better service, though.Special Features:
- Good food, poor servicevalleyliving56Dined on 11/3/2013You can usually count on food that is good, with a great wall of wine choices. The service at Avant is another matter . At best, over the past three years that we have been going, you never know what the service is going to be like. There have been times, where the manager (owner?) is oblivious to what is happening in the room because he is too busy sitting and talking and tables are not getting proper service. Best choice is to sit at the bar and enjoy the wine and food!
- Great find off the beaten pathJoviVIPDined on 11/1/2013Found this through Open Table. It is round the back of the wine wherehouse, almost missed finding it. It has great atmosphere and the food selection was good from small plates through to entree dishes. Great self service wine by the glass selection that you could select taste, half or full glass. They give you a debit card that you insert to select your wine of choice. We would recommend this to anyone who likes good local food at a reasonable price.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.