Avant Tapas & Wine
Buellton, CA 93427Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Avant Tapas & Wine
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.avantwines.com/
- Phone: (805) 686-4742
- Hours of Operation:
Wine Tasting Every Day 11am - 9pm
11am - 3 pm
Happy Hour Bar Tapas
Mon-Fri 3pm - 5 pm
5pm - 9pm
Live Music Thur, Fri & Sat starting at 6pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Californian, Tapas / Small Plates
- Executive Chef: Robin Reynolds
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Contact us for more information
- Private Party Facilities: Avant's private dining room is available for groups of 8 to 18. Reservations are required and prix fixe menu encouraged.
- Private Party Contact: Laurel McCurdy 8056869400x225
- Entertainment: Thursday - Saturday
6:00 - 9:00
A word from Avant Tapas & Wine
Avant features local organic ingredients paired with Central Coast wines. Established in 2009 as a tasting room and Tapas bar for the clients of the Terravant Wine Company, Avant strives to be a "local-centric" culinary destination offering food made with ingredients sourced from Santa Barbara County producers.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
Avant Tapas & Wine - Best Restaurants in Buellton ›
Avant Tapas & Wine reviews from OpenTable diners
29 reviews since July 31, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
notable wine list (24)fit for foodies (21)good for groups (17)neighborhood gem (7)romantic (5)special occasion (5)vibrant bar scene (5)hot spot (4)great for lunch (3)scenic view (3)kid-friendly (3)late-night find (3)Show More
- My favorite local restaurantnomnomdinosaurDined on 11/8/2014Although this restaurant is on the pricey side I absolutely love it. Their self-service wine is so fun to use and try, but really it is all about the food. So tasty and delicious. My favorite is the pear and prosciutto pizza. And you must save room for dessert. Their dessert is so yummy. And on Saturday nights they have a live band. So good!Special Features:
- AvantAgjagVIPDined on 10/30/2014The food, servers, and bartenders were so much fun. Nice live music. We had the yuppie crack and an off-menu pizza, the popper pizza, which consisted of candied jalepenos, bacon, chicken, and herb ranch dressing. They seem to be somewhat flexible and enjoy making these off-menu treats. The wine wall was so much fun - nice to be able to try wines before committing to a full glass (really liked the Complexity wines). We had a great time and would definitely return on our next trip from DC.Special Features:
- dinanm3Dined on 10/25/2014love the small plates, we drove 200 miles to return for dinner, great serviceSpecial Features:
- Lets Go AgainluluDined on 10/18/2014the restaurant might be called contemporary/urban chic. Wine choices abound, the menu is fun and DELICIOUS*, the staff is attentive; very special. A wonderful addition was the very smooth guitarist/ singer .Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun restaurant, loved the wine wallcreidsdDined on 10/10/2014We discovered Avant Tapas on a trip to Solvang for the Celebration of Harvest wine festival. Our group of 6 enjoyed it. The food was good, offering many selections of small plates and appetizers. The TWC Poppers were excellent, as was their "Yuppie Crack" specialty. Their salads were generous and could be shared, and the pizzas were also good. It was perfect after a day of wine tasting. The wine wall offered a range of white and red wines, including one of my favorites, Ken Brown Pinot Noir. We ordered 2 bottles to share with dinner!Special Features:
- Solvang LocalsTwoLocalsDined on 10/10/2014We have eaten at Tapas several times & noted that the service is very slow. We thought it was due to the number of guests being served. Until we recognized that the service only appeared to be slow for those guests who had wine cards! There seems to be an overt attempt to keep those guests with wine cards waiting so they will purchase more wine in the interim. That became very evident when we noted that a teenage couple who was sitting near us and came in about 30 minutes after us was served their meal before we had finished our soup and salad! We had about a 45 minute wait between the soup and salad and the delivery of the main course. Way to long! I had the duck special and it was hot and great! My wife had the scallops - they were cold!
- Sunday Night DinnerNewporterVIPDined on 9/28/2014Food was good but the service was extremely poor! Our waiter did not inform us on how the cards work, just set them on the table. On our first attempt at a glass of wine the bottle was empty. Instead of replacing right away waiter went to bar and chit chatted with guests while we stood waiting for bottle replacement. May try again but definitely not on a Sunday night!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- absolutely fantasticbrettDined on 9/26/2014went here for my wife's birthday. I'm not much of a wine person but she is and we had heard good things. The food was the best I've had in the year I've lived here and some of the best I've ever had (spent the last 3 years in Europe). The wine wall was a fantastic way to taste new wines without the typical snootiness I usually associate with wine and wine people. By the end I had sampled about 14 different wines and had a fantastic 4 course meal. I have already recommended it to several coworkers and will be bringing my parents and in laws when they visit soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome wine selectionCettsVIPDined on 9/23/2014Interesting concept of a restaurant- you get a card when you sit down and you use it to choose the wine you want from a machine. Very good selection of wines to try but it can get pricy this way! Nice selection of small, medium and large plates for food. Service waa excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unique and greatJontVIPDined on 9/17/2014We wrapped up up two days of wine tasting and tours with a stop here. We thoroughly enjoyed the experience. This is a great way to sample some great (and not quite great) wines paired with delicious food. I was surprised the place was not more busy. We loved the variety of both wine and food. We would definitely return.Special Features:
- yuknowhoo52Dined on 8/31/2014-they have a wine vending machine! -tapas weren't memorableSpecial Features:
- Delicious food and winePiranha84Dined on 8/31/2014Great atmosphere, knowledgeable and friendly staff. Excellent customer service, the food and wine are absolutely delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unexpected FindJermeisterDined on 8/31/2014We found Avant last minute on Labor Day weekend on Open Table. What a great suprise!They have a great selection of wines and the Tapa's were great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great placeBjornKDined on 8/24/2014We had a cosy evening dinner with lots of wine and good food. Go there primarily for the wine, since you can select and pour from 40 different wines, both from the local region and from other parts of California. The wine can run you up a high bill, but they are good though. You get to choose between a taster, half or full glass. We were two and did mostly tastings for $1-2 and the wine cost us $34 in the end. Not so bad, since you get to taste many different wines in a very casual way.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food & Wine PairingSYVFoodieDined on 8/22/2014We always enjoy trying new dishes with local wines to find which pair up best. The food is always fresh, innovative and delicious. I also found a new favorite wine. Avant is always a winner for a positive dining experience.Special Features:
- Delicious food, amazing wine wallDinneroutDined on 8/9/2014Our first visit to Avant was wonderful. The dinner menu is interesting, the portions are sufficient as opposed to overwhelming, and food choices are labeled well for ordering tapas or a larger meal. We particularly enjoyed the lobster mac and cheese! The wine wall was amazing, user friendly, and had a wide range of wine choices. We appreciated the taste, half glass, and full glass options.Special Features:
- The following 74 reviews are from the Avant Tapas & Wine reviews archive.
- it's just the bestwolfthecleanerDined on 7/25/2014I love the feel of this place, including the wall of wines. You have a nice view of the mountains or the wine making facility, which is awesome. I come here at least once a week, to try more dishes and repeat my favorites. Service was well-timed and friendly, wines were affordable. They have live music, which is fun and not blistering, it sounds great, just a nice place...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LOVE THIS PLACE!KimODined on 7/25/2014We stumbled upon The Succulant Cafe two years ago, and now it's become a key part of our annual trip to this area. The food is exciting, surprising and delicious, and we loved, loved, loved Robert, who was our host and guide throughout the entire mean and advised us on wine pairings throughout. I can't say enough positive about this place - I just wish there was a Succulent Cafe in Chicago!Special Features:
- Avantastic!CalidogDined on 7/17/2014We always have a good time here. Wait staff is uber friendly The food is really tasty & since we had lunch on the late side the place was nice & quiet.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- servicecatmgirlDined on 7/9/2014We had great service..The only thing was the food took forever to get out and mbrs of our party had finished eating before others ever received their food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Will go backCarmineDined on 7/4/2014I had read online reviews praising the pizza and "yuppie crack" and I wasn't disappointed; my wife and I especially enjoyed the pear and Gorgonzola pizza. We went on our own, but I will go back with another couple or two so we can try a bunch of different wines.Special Features:
- Wine lover's treat north of LAWestsidemolly9VIPDined on 6/29/2014Driving up the coast from LA we needed a place for lunch. Checked the map and Open Table. In the small town of Buellton, about 2and a half hours from LA we found Avant. A wine tasting bar, showcasing wines from all over the Santa Maria area. The restaurant was lovely, as was the service & food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely menuHungryMomDined on 6/26/2014Avant is a favorite of ours. Their menu changes seasonally, so it's always fresh with a few favorite entrees on regular rotation. Great selection of local wines and overall good waitstaff. Always a delight to eat here!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LastradeDined on 6/14/2014Great place for gathering with friends and have good wine and food. It has a good ambiance, specially when it has live music.Special Features:
- Not good for anniversaries.ElGrecoDined on 6/14/2014In researching Avant's website, we were under the assumption that the restaurant was seperated from the bar; not really. Our table was right next to the wine wall and it wasn't really a relaxing/romantic scene. The best dishes that we had were the yuppie crack & stuffed chicken. Everything was appropriately priced. We had a hard time finding a wine that we liked. A preponderance of their wines were average. Service was attentive, but there was a fail that cannot be overlooked. We ordered two pecan pies and we found a quarter-sized piece of paper while chewing. The server comped us a slice, but not the other one. I guess we had to experience it again in the other slice. Digging through food was not pleasant (we took it to go).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/6/2014Altho we had reservations for 8 people (6 actually showed up), another larger than expected group was accommodated instead. We were relegated to a private dining area which also doubled as the storage area for band equipment. We didn't feel properly compensated for this. We were each provided with a complimentary taste of wine; a nice bottle for the table would have been more appropriate.
- Food & Service subparKD119Dined on 5/25/2014The atmosphere was great, loved the decor and the giant window that looked out into the winery. However, the wait times for the food were extremely long. When we received the food, pieces of the appetizer were burnt, the entree was kind of bland and the prices were very high for the quality & size of meal. The quality just did not compare to other restaurants in the Santa Ynez Valley. If I ever go back, it'd just be for wine and a cheese plate, if that.Special Features:
- Something different to tryOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/9/2014the food was very good, the wine tasting was something different and fun. The service wasn't very good and the waitress would make excuses and cop a bit of an attitude instead of just owning any mishaps - and there were a few mishaps. But we're easy-going, so not a huge deal, but would be for others. I'd go back but most in our group said they would not.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Get your Avantastic club cardCalidogDined on 5/7/2014Love the food & wine/beer here. Plus we signed up for the Avantastic wine club last time we were there & we get 10% off on our food bill from now on! Thanks Avant:-)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun NightloveforwineDined on 4/26/2014This was our second time there and everyone we invite ends up loving the place and the experience. We look forward to going again when back in the area. food was delicious! great atmosphere to spend time with friends and loved ones!Special Features:
- Nice evening out.TwoLocalsDined on 4/19/2014Everything was great. The only down side was that two families had small children who were not in the mood for this restaurant. One was about 9 y/o and was not interested in any of the food and made no secret that he was unhappy. The second was a small toddler who was just unhappy at first, upon arrival. She leveled out and was not a noisy throughout as anticipated. The down side was that we got seated between the two families and it was very distracting for our quiet night out. It was not a real bad situation, but would have enjoyed it more if either they were seated away, or we were seated away. Sorry, but we went for a nice quiet evening dinner. It was still nice but could have been better.Special Features:
- Husband and I stopped by afterOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 4/8/2014Husband and I stopped by after reading some good reviews. We had a blast mixing our own wine and getting to label it. Food was very good. I had the sliders and husband had chicken sandwich. Definitely would come back here. And oh btw, service was top notch.Special Features:
- LunchBillsfanDined on 3/29/2014My wife and I were looking for a place to have lunch while in Solvang area and found this place on Open Table. We were very impressed by both the staff and the food. We also asked about bringing member of our corvette club and they gave us great information regarding large groups and we're very accommodating. Can't wait to go backSpecial Features:
- Great, unique wine experienceShelTVIPDined on 3/22/2014We happened upon Avant using OpenTable and previous reviews. What a great wine experience! There are a tremendous number of wines on tap available for sampling, half pour and full pour. Really fun wine experience but it's easy to loose track of time and wine with the self serve format. Food was great. Best mac and cheese ever! Server was more than a little disappointing. We had to work hard to elicit any information or recommendations from him and he really didn't seem to care at all about the evening. In such a vibrant, upscale venue it was really disappointing. Overall, we would definitely return for the great food and wine (just hope for a different server)!Special Features:
- Outstanding!GingerDined on 3/15/2014I brought my fiance to Avant Tapas & Wine for his birthday celebration and we really enjoyed ourselves. The service was wonderful, our waiter was on top of things and very personable. The food was also very good and fairly priced. We also did the Wine Blending Experience which was very unique. We even got a bottle of the wine we blended to take home! They also had live music which was heavenly. Overall this is a really nice place to take your significant other or a group of friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food and a wall of wineOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/14/2014Another Buellton winner. The food is good. We had the pear, gorgonzola and prosciutto pizza, and the "yuppie crack" which are dates stuffed with goat cheese, wrapped in bacon with some kind of balsamic drizzle. The wine situation is where you need to pay attention. You get a card with a $100 charge limit. You walk to the wall of wines which dispenses by the taste, half, or full glass. Very easy to lose count of how much you spend. The downside is the happy hour, which is 30% off on wine, because it only lasts from 3p-5p. Fine for stay at home parents who want to get tanked, but you'd have to take a day off work or leave early to enjoy the discount. I'll be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- wine liststeveDined on 3/13/2014Need to maintain wine list regularly. First four choices off the wine list were not available. For a wine specialty place, not acceptableSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- shifty service, great food!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/8/2014We walked in and ambiance was fantastic. We sat down an we got a wine card and best lattee! Anyway we wait at the bar for the rest of our group and the staff was great... well most of them. This young girl was absolutely amazing! I forgot her name but Laurals sister. She was on top of it and knew the menu very well. Then we got our server. Didn't have any recommendations and seemed like he didn't know too much about wine. Oh and mid-food-order... he walks away. Very poor server. But the buss boy and the young girl definitely picked up the slack! The food was fabulous and came out right on time. We even got to meet one of the chefs, Josh. He is one charming and knowledgeable? We will be back but we are definitely going to request a server...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Neat conceptBuelltonwinoDined on 3/7/2014Fun experience doing our own wine tasting. With tons of wine to choose from, we could pick a taste or a full glass from the self-serve row of wines. Me and the spouse had fun comparing and tasting each other's wine. Food was yummy too. Excellent cheeses and tapas.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ambiance, food and wine.TwoLocalsDined on 2/28/2014The staff was excellent and very pleasant. The wine wall was very nice and handy to be able to try different wines without a lot of expense. The food was nicely prepared, appropriately hot or cold as desired, and presented well. It was a rainy night and there was a moderate number of guests so it was not too loud. There were two guitarist who played very well during the dinner. Very nice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.