17550 Bernardo Oaks Dr
San Diego, CA 92128Neighborhood:
Poway / Rancho Bernardo
CalifornianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.avantrestaurant.com/
- Phone: (858) 675-8550
- Hours of Operation:
Late Night Dining
Daily from 4pm-6:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Californian
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from AVANT
AVANT draws on the best of wine country dining – inspired culinary exploration, leisurely socializing, and the freshest seasonal ingredients – and moves it forward with a contemporary California mindset. AVANT serves up vibrant, creative dishes and artisan libations in an inviting setting defined by its indoor-outdoor design, dynamic spaces and lush garden milieu – bringing a sense of adventure and fulfillment to every experience.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerCalifornian
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked 1000-Point Tables
AVANT reviews from OpenTable diners
82 reviews since July 29, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (51)fit for foodies (45)neighborhood gem (37)romantic (33)good for groups (26)great for outdoor dining (23)scenic view (23)notable wine list (21)vibrant bar scene (10)hot spot (9)great for lunch (8)great for brunch (5)late-night find (3)kid-friendly (2)Show More
- Food and serviceRBCookieDined on 8/4/2014Jonas was very attentive on a moderately busy evening for our anniversary dinner. The fix price dinner was excellent, with many choices from the menu. The arugula and tomato salad to share was ample for two. We both had the halibut which was cooked to perfection, accompanied with chard and lintel beans. The fixed price dinner also included a glass of wine or beer. Dessert was not included, which we were happy to go without! All in all, a fantastic evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OutstandingSanDiegoGirlsDined on 8/3/2014The four of us just could say enough about everything food, ambiance, service, etc.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wouldn't have guessedAs87Dined on 8/2/2014I would not have guessed that such a quaint place existed in this area. Overall our dining experience was great. Our server, I think Bron was his name, was very nice and took time to explain things. Service was quick, food was good, well presented but didn't blow me away, the menu could use a couple more entrees.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food-attentive servicepapeliDined on 8/1/2014We were celebrate a wedding anniversary and had asked to be seated on the patio, which they could not do, but besides that, everything was really good. The menu and wine list are not very extensive, but we had the steak, scallops, and shrimp risotto - all excellent, Perfectly cooked and beautifully presented. One our our party ordered the ravioli - it was dry and overcooked. Our waiter took it away and replaced it immediately, apologized and comped her dinner. The service was professional, attentive and not obtrusive. Overall, great experience. The Inn is also very beautiful. We will go back.Special Features:
- The following 212 reviews are from the AVANT reviews archive.
- AVANT great addition to RB InnlovetodineDined on 7/24/2014We arrived for a drink at the bar before dinner. Prices at happy hour were great and we expected it to be a bit noisy. Live music a bonus. The dining room was a great fit and our party of five was seated next to an open window with a view and a breeze. The service was A+. Attentive, but not hovering. We had the prix fixe menu and each had a different dish. All were stars in both presentation and taste. The house wine was not a cheap brand but a nice mid-range wine with wonderful flavor. Sorry we missed the patio for our drink as it looked most inviting, but it was full when we arrived. A wonderful first dining experience at AVANT and we will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect 19th HoleLiv2dineDined on 7/20/2014A wonderful place to enjoy dinner after a picturesque round of golf Enjoy the outdoor dining area to add to the ambienceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- nice for a special night outlovingfoodVIPDined on 7/12/2014Interesting menu choices, food was tasty, right portion sizes. A bit pricey so would keep this as a special occasion. The Inn where the restaurant is located is also a lovely place to visit.Special Features:
- ChristineDined on 7/9/2014My only complaint is that they start clearing off the cutlery and glasses from empty tables around you so they can set up for the following day. This totally ruins the ambiance. Its a total pet peeve of mine in a restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice SurprisePicazaDined on 7/9/2014Was not a big fan of the old El Bizocho, but the new AVANT was a very pleasant surprise. The food was delicious, the portions sufficient, and the price reasonable given where you are. We will go again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OUTSTANDINGDaveandAnitaniteoutDined on 7/5/2014Our first time at this restaurant. We were very pleased at the quality of food and service. Nice neighborhood place to dine.Special Features:
- Very enjoyableOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/3/2014We were initially seated outside but found it to be too loud so we moved inside to a very nice booth which was comfortable and quiet. Did not care for initial glass of wine but it was readily replaced by another recommended by our server which was very good. My husband and I very much enjoyed our dinner selections (unique and delicious.) The upscale casual ambience provided at the Inn spilled over into Avant as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, waiter so-so.WakkiDined on 6/30/2014I took my husband here for his birthday. I let the hostess and waiter, Braun, know it was his birthday. I asked the waiter after we had ordered to bring my husband a second glass of wine, he never did. When our entrees arrived my husband got attention the attention of a busboy and ordered a second glass for both of us. It never came, and waiter never checked back to see how we were doing. Braun brought dessert menus which we declined. It is not a big deal but I would have thought such a nice place would do a little something for a birthday, like most places do. I must say food was good, and different. But beware, water was $6 a carafe, and I ordered 2. I would have liked to know cost in advance.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- YourmamaYourmamaDined on 6/30/2014I was celebrating my Birthday and they made it so special. You have to try the Lobster Salad..delish best I have ever had. The New York Strip wow it is better than a filet migon to die for. Love the atmosphere..def a must try!! We will be back!Special Features:
- Surprisingly awesomefinedinerVIPDined on 6/28/2014Our first time eating here. Great food and service.Special Features:
- Fantastic high class restaurantJonnyg77Dined on 6/27/2014Great ambiance and a very interesting design to the dining area. There is a side room with amazing middle-eastern decorations. Great service and all the food was delicious.Special Features:
- A delicious dining experience.LadyWhoBruchesDined on 6/20/2014Had a lovely evening at Avant celebrating our 2year anniversary. The charcrueterie selection was delicious. The service was friendly and attentative. We had the steak and the halibut for our main entrees and they both were wonderful. They even provided a complimentary celebratory dessert. I highly recommend this restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BethVIPDined on 6/20/2014Our second time here and it was memorable!, had charcuterie and cheese plate that was other worldly. Our waiter did a great job showing off the talents of the young lady making the charcuterie.. She brought a small plate amuse Bouche to each table. The tap wine was very Good and reasonable.. My husband never gives 5 stars but for this he didSpecial Features:
- Friday nightSDCreoleVIPDined on 6/20/2014Such a great place! Date with husband! Fabulous service by Brad, matched by support staff. Nice ambiance, tasty food. And excellent post dinner/ outside live music. Doesn't hurt it was a beautiful San Diego evening.Special Features:
- Outstanding!TinabelVIPDined on 6/14/2014This is the second time that we have dined at Avant. The first time was in the first month of reopening. We noticed a lot of improvement. The service was great! Our server definitely knew the menu and the preparations. The food was outstanding! Great presentation, wonderful flavors, vegetables cooked perfectly! The varied menu from cheese boards, to small plates, to large plates was really nice. We used to dine here a long time ago when it was El Bizcocho where it was very formal and stuffy. Not so anymore. Wonderful ambiance, comfortable surroundings, and no longer stuffy. We will definitely be back!Special Features:
- Delicious and magicalK8RisGR8RDined on 6/12/2014Our special occasion was absolutely wonderful at Avant. The food was so delicious. The service was perfect. The wine was yummy. I highly recommend this restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BarpatDined on 6/12/2014Food was very good. We asked for recommendations for starters and main course and waiter could not help us. He was attentive and pleasant. and service was good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyable DinnerjimmymacDined on 6/11/2014Went for a peaceful evening to celebrate our anniversary. First time there and the service and food were great. Staff was very helpful and friendly. The price for the prix fixe meal was very reasonable. The Carlsbad mussels were quite good, though small but the quantity made up the difference. Lobster salad, halibut and scallops were very good.Special Features:
- Nice SurpriseRogerGDined on 6/6/2014We had been there for lunch but wanted to try dinner. We hit the Happy Hour specials and were delighted and filled. What a great bargain for the quality. Service was splendid. The live singer/music was a nice touch also.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great service and excellent foodHolein1Dined on 6/5/2014I would recommend this restaurant for special occasions . The remodel makes the dining room more intimate and It. has a great view of the golf course. A large bar has been added and there is an outside area for drinks and appetizers which looked like a cozy place to meet up with friends. Mt husband and I both had the halibut which was excellent, we had the price fixed package which included a shared salad and a glass of wine for each of us. This made the meal a great deal. The desserts were delicious. Our server was absolutely superb. I don't remember his name. He went out of his way to get a dessert that was off the menu for my husband. I really do like crisp clean table clothes, I wish they'd bring these backSpecial Features:
- wonderful anniversary dinnerSunDiegoDined on 6/3/2014Our waiter was very knowledgeable about all menu items as well as appropriate wine. The prixe fixed menu for 2 is the way to go Sunday thru Thursday! Make sure to try the lobster salad. Great place and we wish great success as it begins its second year at Rancho Bernard Inn.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tasty appetizershulamomDined on 5/31/2014Ordered three different appetizers... all delish! The margarita and mojito were just perfect! Our wait staff seemed new and inexperienced. Our waiter didn't know the type of mushrooms in a certain dish, got the cheese wrong and didn't describe the dish accurately at all. Had to ask for more bread two or three times, and he didn't bring extra butter with it. On our prior two visits we had excellent service, so I'm sure this was a fluke.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special Attention from the chef!composerVIPDined on 5/31/2014I had a special seafood appetizer and a piece of the seafood tasted off. not only did the chef come to the table to apologize, he gave me a detailed breakdown of the ingredients and how they were blended in a brand new appetizer and waited for me to taste it and pronounce it ok. I have had off seafood in other restaurants but this was service beyond and above replacing the dish or not charging for it. Every other dish was prepared with care and artistry but the replacement seafood was the highlight of the meal. Save lots of room for dessert.Special Features:
- Lovely Special Occassion RestaurantJudyDined on 5/30/2014We had a wonderful birthday dinner here. Our appetizers, main dishes and desserts were wonderful. The service was great. The ricotta appetizer was especially good - unusual presentation and delicious. The only complaint I would have is that it was extremely cold in the dining room. The room is lovely, though.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- gourmetdelightDined on 5/25/2014Great food, uniquely prepared and presented! Many delicious items on the menu so will have to go back and try more.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic Dinner!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/24/2014My Husband and I dined at Avant to celebrate a special occasion. From the moment we walked in, the service was excellent! The food was outstanding as was the stunning wine list. It was a very memorable evening. You will enjoy Avant for happy hour drinks and bites as well as dinner later in the evening, a true gem at Rancho Bernardo Inn!Special Features:
- Love the new menuDyungcali60Dined on 5/15/2014Great service and a delicious new summer menu! The gazpacho, crab fritter and raviolos were favorites. Will definitely go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous diningPowegianDined on 5/8/2014My husband and I chose Avant for our 15th anniversary dinner. We loved the food; Avant's chef takes ordinary dishes and adds an unique flavor (for example, the sauce for calamari was fruity and added a new but delicious twist). The service was excellent, and our server brought us a dessert with "Happy Anniversary" beautifully written in chocolate drizzle on the plate. Beautiful ambience, delicious food and terrific service!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tissue Paper Menus - Really??OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/7/2014Energetic and courteous staff, great ahi tune appetizer, deserts were average but for an upscale dining site the tissue paper menus and wine list were unexpected and they diminished the pleasant experience.I would recommend this to a friend.
- A gemTarheelvisitorDined on 4/30/2014Tucked away well outside downtown San Diego, this charming restaurant has great seafood choices in particular. We were a party of 6 and 2 of us are vegan and the head chef came out to meet us personally, shook our hands and listened to our situation. He came up with a delicious pasta/ vegetable dish that was delicious. The other 4 all raved about the salmon, bass and scallops they had. Very friendly waiter. I would highly recommend it to anyone!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- nice romantic eveningtrue4northDined on 4/27/2014the service was excellent, friendly, provided great suggestions & and at no time did we feel rushed. food was excellent, first rate, tasty appetizers and my partner and I split our main courses, which they thoughtfully separated for us. the ambiance was comfortable, the perfect setting for a nice romantic eveningSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Most ExcellentBigWaveDaveDined on 4/26/2014Very nice preparations throughout the menu. The charcuterie was excellent, wedge salad w/ blue cheese mousse was an intelligent take on a menu classic. Entree's were very well prepared, balanced and presented. Equal to any farm-to-table experience we have had.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DeanoDined on 4/20/2014We enjoy Avant very much and recommend it highly. Been there 3 times in the past month. The food is exceptional - both the variety and quality. The only thing we've observed in the past two visits is they seem to be slightly understaffed in the server and busing department. Server "Brad" is excellent. Knows the menu and is quite cordial. Have him cloned. Hostess never smiled. Seemed angry about something. Train the bus boys a bit more and get them out servicing the tables. Water glasses should never go empty (and wine for that matter if the guest is buying it...) The food is so great, it would be a shame to allow mundane service lessen the overall experience. Still we recommend Avant. Just suggestions for making it even better.
- Big receipt, little food.NotafoodieDined on 4/19/2014The ambiance is cool and sleek, not really to my taste. Resembles more of a downtown club. The server was attentive. Bread served in a paper bag on napkin. Seemed to be in conflict with their otherwise high end persona. Was very disappointed in the food. Soup was pretty good, wedge salad was attractive on the plate but not much of a Wedge and too much dressing...small serving. My companion ordered fish and got just that, a piece of fish. For a bill of close to $100 for what the two of us ordered and one glass of wine for one person, it was way overpriced, so so food, and I would definitely not recommend it.
- saltyDined on 4/18/2014The food was extremely salty - including our green salad. If it wasn't for the amount of salt, the food would have been very good. We have eaten several times at the Veranda and have good experiences each time with no complaints.
- Not for special occasionLove2eatDined on 4/15/2014We came here for my fiancé's birthday. They said they were going to do something special, instead they did nothing and we felt rushed out of there. The food was good, nothing that would have me rushing back though.Special Features: