17550 Bernardo Oaks Dr
San Diego, CA 92128Neighborhood:
Poway / Rancho Bernardo
CalifornianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.avantrestaurant.com/
- Phone: 8586758550x
- Hours of Operation:
Late Night Dining
Daily from 4pm-6:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Californian
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from AVANT
AVANT draws on the best of wine country dining – inspired culinary exploration, leisurely socializing, and the freshest seasonal ingredients – and moves it forward with a contemporary California mindset. AVANT serves up vibrant, creative dishes and artisan libations in an inviting setting defined by its indoor-outdoor design, dynamic spaces and lush garden milieu – bringing a sense of adventure and fulfillment to every experience.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerCalifornian
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
AVANT reviews from OpenTable diners
78 reviews since May 4, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (46)fit for foodies (45)neighborhood gem (36)romantic (34)great for outdoor dining (30)scenic view (26)notable wine list (20)good for groups (19)vibrant bar scene (11)great for lunch (10)late-night find (6)kid-friendly (4)hot spot (4)great for brunch (3)Show More
- KnineDined on 8/30/2014A very enjoyable dining experience. Every dish was unique and demonstrated the talents of a chef showing skills and creativity. Server was inexperienced but enthusiastic and helpful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AVANT 8/23/2014DelMartianVIPDined on 8/23/2014This was out first time here at AVANT since it was transformed from El Bizcocho. The transformation is/was a grand success. The food and service were outstanding! The AVANT is centered in the Rancho Bernardo Inn which provides an incredible garden / golf course atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Romantic summer experiencejeanieDined on 8/22/2014We thoroughly loved being outside in the slight summer breeze feasting on beautiful prepped food. The cheese plate with varied jam pairings a highlight, and superb Moroccan vegetable stew! JeanieSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- skipperDined on 8/16/2014The food and atmosphere was excellent. The halibut for fantastic, and the desserts were wonderful, too!Special Features:
- Great but just OK(noise)ArchieDined on 8/15/2014We have been their before but decided to go for our 5th wedding anniversary. They seated us right away nice table. Gave us a glass of champagne as a gift, very nice. We had 2 appetizers pate and mussels. The bread was just ok nothing special as was the pate. Mussels very nice. I had NY steak it was great more than I could eat with a goat cheese bread pudding and white truffles excellent, grilled vegies. My wife had the lobster salad, it looked to fancy to eat not much at all it was to dune up. Over all it is Ok but just 2 pricy for what you get. The dinning room is open to the bar and being a golf club bar way to loud and noise to enjoy dinner.Special Features:
- Rough start but a nice endingtomandanjunDined on 8/8/2014Gone were the white table cloths, replaced with dark tables. I assumed the previous sophisticated atmosphere would just automatically remain the same. What you have now is a very nice bar/restaurant, one would expect to find and a country club; after all there is a golf course there. The service was VERY slow and the wait staff was young at less experienced, although very friendly. I felt I just had to complain to the management about the lack of attention to us. They said they were rather busy that night. The service did improve significantly after my comments to the management. The food was excellent, of high quality, and with great presentation. Over all, it was a good experience.Special Features:
- Nothing to make you WANT to go backOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/7/2014Small portions, big dollars. We were a party of 4 and the bread brought to the table was a small little piece about 5 inches long. Really? Scallops and halibut were our dinner choice, nothing exciting. There was nothing about this dining experience that made you want to come back. Time to step it up!! I don't mind paying the price for food that is worth coming back for, this just isn't the case at the Avant.
- AvantWinstedVIPDined on 8/6/2014Excellent! Brian, our server, was also great. The music and food were tremendous. I'll be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Avant in RBThomasDined on 8/4/2014Excellent décor and service. The restaurant is a community gem, and the quality of the food and service is excellent.Special Features:
- Food and serviceRBCookieDined on 8/4/2014Jonas was very attentive on a moderately busy evening for our anniversary dinner. The fix price dinner was excellent, with many choices from the menu. The arugula and tomato salad to share was ample for two. We both had the halibut which was cooked to perfection, accompanied with chard and lintel beans. The fixed price dinner also included a glass of wine or beer. Dessert was not included, which we were happy to go without! All in all, a fantastic evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OutstandingSanDiegoGirlsDined on 8/3/2014The four of us just could say enough about everything food, ambiance, service, etc.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wouldn't have guessedAs87Dined on 8/2/2014I would not have guessed that such a quaint place existed in this area. Overall our dining experience was great. Our server, I think Bron was his name, was very nice and took time to explain things. Service was quick, food was good, well presented but didn't blow me away, the menu could use a couple more entrees.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food-attentive servicepapeliDined on 8/1/2014We were celebrate a wedding anniversary and had asked to be seated on the patio, which they could not do, but besides that, everything was really good. The menu and wine list are not very extensive, but we had the steak, scallops, and shrimp risotto - all excellent, Perfectly cooked and beautifully presented. One our our party ordered the ravioli - it was dry and overcooked. Our waiter took it away and replaced it immediately, apologized and comped her dinner. The service was professional, attentive and not obtrusive. Overall, great experience. The Inn is also very beautiful. We will go back.Special Features:
- AVANT great addition to RB InnlovetodineDined on 7/24/2014We arrived for a drink at the bar before dinner. Prices at happy hour were great and we expected it to be a bit noisy. Live music a bonus. The dining room was a great fit and our party of five was seated next to an open window with a view and a breeze. The service was A+. Attentive, but not hovering. We had the prix fixe menu and each had a different dish. All were stars in both presentation and taste. The house wine was not a cheap brand but a nice mid-range wine with wonderful flavor. Sorry we missed the patio for our drink as it looked most inviting, but it was full when we arrived. A wonderful first dining experience at AVANT and we will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect 19th HoleLiv2dineDined on 7/20/2014A wonderful place to enjoy dinner after a picturesque round of golf Enjoy the outdoor dining area to add to the ambienceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- nice for a special night outlovingfoodVIPDined on 7/12/2014Interesting menu choices, food was tasty, right portion sizes. A bit pricey so would keep this as a special occasion. The Inn where the restaurant is located is also a lovely place to visit.Special Features:
- ChristineDined on 7/9/2014My only complaint is that they start clearing off the cutlery and glasses from empty tables around you so they can set up for the following day. This totally ruins the ambiance. Its a total pet peeve of mine in a restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice SurprisePicazaDined on 7/9/2014Was not a big fan of the old El Bizocho, but the new AVANT was a very pleasant surprise. The food was delicious, the portions sufficient, and the price reasonable given where you are. We will go again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OUTSTANDINGDaveandAnitaniteoutDined on 7/5/2014Our first time at this restaurant. We were very pleased at the quality of food and service. Nice neighborhood place to dine.Special Features:
- Very enjoyableOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/3/2014We were initially seated outside but found it to be too loud so we moved inside to a very nice booth which was comfortable and quiet. Did not care for initial glass of wine but it was readily replaced by another recommended by our server which was very good. My husband and I very much enjoyed our dinner selections (unique and delicious.) The upscale casual ambience provided at the Inn spilled over into Avant as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, waiter so-so.WakkiDined on 6/30/2014I took my husband here for his birthday. I let the hostess and waiter, Braun, know it was his birthday. I asked the waiter after we had ordered to bring my husband a second glass of wine, he never did. When our entrees arrived my husband got attention the attention of a busboy and ordered a second glass for both of us. It never came, and waiter never checked back to see how we were doing. Braun brought dessert menus which we declined. It is not a big deal but I would have thought such a nice place would do a little something for a birthday, like most places do. I must say food was good, and different. But beware, water was $6 a carafe, and I ordered 2. I would have liked to know cost in advance.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- YourmamaYourmamaDined on 6/30/2014I was celebrating my Birthday and they made it so special. You have to try the Lobster Salad..delish best I have ever had. The New York Strip wow it is better than a filet migon to die for. Love the atmosphere..def a must try!! We will be back!Special Features:
- Surprisingly awesomefinedinerVIPDined on 6/28/2014Our first time eating here. Great food and service.Special Features:
- Fantastic high class restaurantJonnyg77Dined on 6/27/2014Great ambiance and a very interesting design to the dining area. There is a side room with amazing middle-eastern decorations. Great service and all the food was delicious.Special Features:
- A delicious dining experience.LadyWhoBruchesDined on 6/20/2014Had a lovely evening at Avant celebrating our 2year anniversary. The charcrueterie selection was delicious. The service was friendly and attentative. We had the steak and the halibut for our main entrees and they both were wonderful. They even provided a complimentary celebratory dessert. I highly recommend this restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BethVIPDined on 6/20/2014Our second time here and it was memorable!, had charcuterie and cheese plate that was other worldly. Our waiter did a great job showing off the talents of the young lady making the charcuterie.. She brought a small plate amuse Bouche to each table. The tap wine was very Good and reasonable.. My husband never gives 5 stars but for this he didSpecial Features:
- Friday nightSDCreoleDined on 6/20/2014Such a great place! Date with husband! Fabulous service by Brad, matched by support staff. Nice ambiance, tasty food. And excellent post dinner/ outside live music. Doesn't hurt it was a beautiful San Diego evening.Special Features:
- Outstanding!TinabelVIPDined on 6/14/2014This is the second time that we have dined at Avant. The first time was in the first month of reopening. We noticed a lot of improvement. The service was great! Our server definitely knew the menu and the preparations. The food was outstanding! Great presentation, wonderful flavors, vegetables cooked perfectly! The varied menu from cheese boards, to small plates, to large plates was really nice. We used to dine here a long time ago when it was El Bizcocho where it was very formal and stuffy. Not so anymore. Wonderful ambiance, comfortable surroundings, and no longer stuffy. We will definitely be back!Special Features:
- Delicious and magicalK8RisGR8RDined on 6/12/2014Our special occasion was absolutely wonderful at Avant. The food was so delicious. The service was perfect. The wine was yummy. I highly recommend this restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BarpatDined on 6/12/2014Food was very good. We asked for recommendations for starters and main course and waiter could not help us. He was attentive and pleasant. and service was good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyable DinnerjimmymacDined on 6/11/2014Went for a peaceful evening to celebrate our anniversary. First time there and the service and food were great. Staff was very helpful and friendly. The price for the prix fixe meal was very reasonable. The Carlsbad mussels were quite good, though small but the quantity made up the difference. Lobster salad, halibut and scallops were very good.Special Features:
- Nice SurpriseRogerGDined on 6/6/2014We had been there for lunch but wanted to try dinner. We hit the Happy Hour specials and were delighted and filled. What a great bargain for the quality. Service was splendid. The live singer/music was a nice touch also.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great service and excellent foodHolein1Dined on 6/5/2014I would recommend this restaurant for special occasions . The remodel makes the dining room more intimate and It. has a great view of the golf course. A large bar has been added and there is an outside area for drinks and appetizers which looked like a cozy place to meet up with friends. Mt husband and I both had the halibut which was excellent, we had the price fixed package which included a shared salad and a glass of wine for each of us. This made the meal a great deal. The desserts were delicious. Our server was absolutely superb. I don't remember his name. He went out of his way to get a dessert that was off the menu for my husband. I really do like crisp clean table clothes, I wish they'd bring these backSpecial Features:
- wonderful anniversary dinnerSunDiegoDined on 6/3/2014Our waiter was very knowledgeable about all menu items as well as appropriate wine. The prixe fixed menu for 2 is the way to go Sunday thru Thursday! Make sure to try the lobster salad. Great place and we wish great success as it begins its second year at Rancho Bernard Inn.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tasty appetizershulamomDined on 5/31/2014Ordered three different appetizers... all delish! The margarita and mojito were just perfect! Our wait staff seemed new and inexperienced. Our waiter didn't know the type of mushrooms in a certain dish, got the cheese wrong and didn't describe the dish accurately at all. Had to ask for more bread two or three times, and he didn't bring extra butter with it. On our prior two visits we had excellent service, so I'm sure this was a fluke.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special Attention from the chef!composerVIPDined on 5/31/2014I had a special seafood appetizer and a piece of the seafood tasted off. not only did the chef come to the table to apologize, he gave me a detailed breakdown of the ingredients and how they were blended in a brand new appetizer and waited for me to taste it and pronounce it ok. I have had off seafood in other restaurants but this was service beyond and above replacing the dish or not charging for it. Every other dish was prepared with care and artistry but the replacement seafood was the highlight of the meal. Save lots of room for dessert.Special Features:
- Lovely Special Occassion RestaurantJudyDined on 5/30/2014We had a wonderful birthday dinner here. Our appetizers, main dishes and desserts were wonderful. The service was great. The ricotta appetizer was especially good - unusual presentation and delicious. The only complaint I would have is that it was extremely cold in the dining room. The room is lovely, though.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- gourmetdelightDined on 5/25/2014Great food, uniquely prepared and presented! Many delicious items on the menu so will have to go back and try more.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic Dinner!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/24/2014My Husband and I dined at Avant to celebrate a special occasion. From the moment we walked in, the service was excellent! The food was outstanding as was the stunning wine list. It was a very memorable evening. You will enjoy Avant for happy hour drinks and bites as well as dinner later in the evening, a true gem at Rancho Bernardo Inn!Special Features:
- Love the new menuDyungcali60Dined on 5/15/2014Great service and a delicious new summer menu! The gazpacho, crab fritter and raviolos were favorites. Will definitely go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.