1523 Walnut Street
Philadelphia, PA 19102Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.avancerestaurant.com/
- Phone: 2154050700x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Justin Bogle
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Cross Street: between 15th & 16th
- Parking: Valet
- Parking Details: Valet parking is available across Walnut Street for $18 per vehicle. You and your guests will find our valet waiting on the left side of Walnut just before the restaurant at Sydenham St (between 15th and 16th). You will see a red umbrella and sign for the restaurant's valet.
A word from Avance
At Avance Chef Justin Bogle finds innovative ways to excite his diners with a progressive approach to modern American cuisine. The menu, inspired by foods of the season, is constantly changing. The downstairs bar offers a great place to come in from the cold and try a phenomenal cocktail or spirit. With a wine list of over 500 bottles, a wonderful beer selection, and a la carte or tasting menu options diners will amazed by what they are offered when they step into what is expected to be the next great restaurant in Philadelphia.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
- Diners' Choice WinnerNotable Wine List
- Diners' Choice WinnerContemporary American
Avance reviews from OpenTable diners
40 reviews since June 27, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelQuiet
fit for foodies (31)special occasion (27)romantic (19)notable wine list (19)hot spot (5)neighborhood gem (4)good for groups (3)vibrant bar scene (2)late-night find (1)Show More
- Avance is now closedRossMcKVIPDined on 10/11/2014We were there on the last night, 10/11/14. Very pleasant staff. Very, very overpriced for the quality of the food (bland) and wine (the pairings were relatively low end wines). I wouldn't have recommended it. We were at the last night only by chance.Special Features:
- Avance was spectacularBradDined on 10/10/2014My girlfriend and I got in on Friday night for the last weekend. It is truly an ashame that this place is closing because it was an amazing experience. The restaurant was beautiful. The service was very personal and knowledgeable which was perfect for what the restaurant was going for. The servers were all extremely proud to be working here and it resonated well. The food tasting menu was to die for, we found ourselves loving every item on the menu. On top of that the wine pairings accomodated the meal perfectly and the sommelier did an excellent job. We have both done our fair share of dining and I must say it is sad to see this place go. It is sad that a few people had to give such bad reviews because this restaurant was truly a treat.Special Features:
- Too Advanced at Avance?denverchowhoundDined on 10/4/2014First time at Avance. Nice staff, treated us well for a birthday. Room a bit too dark and lacked a warmth that Fork and Bistro 7 have. The starters (tomotoe/burrata and angoletti with crab) & main courses (wild halibut and pouched salmon) were very good-the Halibut was outstanding--we will definately be back for the food, but go to the lower level next time, and see if it is a warmer space. However, the desert and the chees courses were big dissapointments--they tried to do too much with the butterscotch desert and flavors were not that pleasant--and the cheese course is overpriced. Drop the pour-over coffee--don't do it, the coffee was cold (but they took it off the bill),& makes the meal end on a low note--just make good hot coffee.Special Features:
- Nice experienceLovelyLunchDined on 10/4/2014The staff was very pleasant, but not necesarily one point. The food was very good. The overall experience was good, but for the price we felt it should be excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First TimerKyleVIPDined on 10/1/2014This was the first time I went to Avance. My fault for not going sooner. It was remarkable. Best new restaurant I have been to in over a year. Food was imaginative and creative. Tom was an well versed waiter. Alex was a wizard with the wine. Great experience!Special Features:
- run don't walk to AvanceNeed2getoutmoreVIPDined on 9/27/2014wow. great restaurant. food and service were impeccable. great atmosphere and comfortable dining layout. food was creative without being pretentious. staff was knowledgeable but down to earth. nice added touches: a different bread with each course, and while eating dessert they asked for my valet ticket. car was waiting when we were done. Outstanding!Special Features:
- A great experience.Sal54VIPDined on 9/26/2014What an event to see food presented as art. Even better when it tastes amazing. We ventured into the chefs tasting menu and glad we did. If you think you will be hungry just wait till the end you will leave very satisfied. Amazing presentation and each course paired with a different bread baked on the premises. This is a place for a special occasion or just to really treat yourself and someone special.Special Features:
- Great but longOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/20/2014Everything about our experience was Great! Only down side was dinner took 3 hours, a little long for three people.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Advance during Restaurant WeejEdwardDined on 9/11/2014Food wonderful. Every other restaurant full why- didn'tAvance do Restaurant Week? No life to the place. Found menu very limited and for this reason might not go back. Service caring but a little overbearing. Didn't need someone interrupting our conversation every 10 minutes to ask if everything was ok.Special Features:
- Still RAVING the next daygribksDined on 9/9/2014I took clients here for a business dinner. They raved about the food, the service, the ambiance, and the food, again, during and after the meal. When we met up the next day, they were still talking about how great and inventive everything was. Avance is now on my go-to list for business and personal dinners.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Too ExpensiveOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 8/15/2014The food was good and the service was great, but we spent way too much money for not nearly enough food. The food we were served was very delicious, but even after my wife and I ordered two appetizers each (as recommended by our server) and an entree each, we were both left the meal unsatisfied.Special Features:
- Underwhelmed.PhillyFoodieFromNJDined on 8/14/2014The staff was great. Make friends with your server/bartender because you need them to walk you through the food/drink menus. All of the menu options consist of an overly complex set of ingredients. Then, it was ultimately a let down. Because it's the new kid on the block, I'm glad I had the Avance experience. However, I have no plans to try it again. Eh.
- CreativeHonestFeedbackDined on 8/13/2014I loved the creativity of the food here but the lack of input provided by protein in the dishes kept me from giving it 5 stars. I would suggest to up your game from the perspective of adding more protein to the dishes. Creativity and art is beautiful but a diner expects more satiety at this price point.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent, creative foodBigZPhillyDined on 8/9/2014Yes, you need to have an open mind to eat here but it's WELL worth it! The chef is creative and has a unique and fresh menu. The bar downstairs is often overlooked (not sure why!!! try an "Open Letter"!!).Special Features:
- A Very Special Dinner!!QualityFirstVIPDined on 8/5/2014Avance is very special! The food is not only of the highest quality but prepared and presented in such a way as to optimize its taste and enjoyment. We had the 5 course tasting menu and enjoyed every morsel of each course. If pressed my list would be, starting with my favorite - the beef tartare, which sparkled and tasted as fresh as one could imagine, the fresh pea compote, the skate dish with a confluence of tastes that were heavenly, the lamb loin, which was perfectly cooked medium rare and nicely accompanied, and finally the banana dessert featuring starfruit. Servers Alex and Tom highlighted our evening with professional service, advice and banter that made the dinner even more memorable. Justin Bogle is a superb chef. We shall return!Special Features:
- emshDined on 7/26/2014Delicious and imaginative. Incredible attention to detail. A true dining experience.Special Features:
- Not quite greatMike28aVIPDined on 7/26/2014The "successor" to Le Bec Fin looks beautiful. The downstairs bar is a gem and our bartender, Bradford, did a great job. High expectations got in the way for the dinner, unfortunately. While the experience was terrific, and the service great, the food, although good, was too pretentious and very very busy, often with six or seven different notes expected to blend (we did the chef choice meal; he chose to serve two of us with one meal and two with another. Quite interesting, as we all tasted both). Dinner lasted five hours, which was very appropriate. The wine pairings were excellent. I get back to the high expectations, however, and that is what loses the fifth star. Kudos to Tom, our primary server. He was a pleasure.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing, fun, and delicious!sophsleeDined on 7/25/2014Absolutely outstanding food and service! Pricey but worth every penny of it! It was our anniversary dinner and the staff did an amazing job creating a lovely and memorable evening for the both of us. Avance made it so personal for us, like we were the only ones there. Not many restaurants do that. I would definitely recommend Avance for any occasion! I was so impressed by the creativity, presentation, and taste of the dishes. Everything was savory, and did I mention delicious! Avance also has a bar downstairs for even a short bite before dinner. Everything was delightful! A delectable surprise for one to truly discover!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Place!ezinmediaDined on 7/19/2014Service was excellent - from Bartenders to Wait Staff. Food was delicious - great presentation and staff was helpful with choosing items from menu. Definitely would return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First class !!!!5starfoodloverVIPDined on 7/18/2014This restaurant is 5 stars!!! The food is absolutely mouth watering. Attention to detail was impeccable. Service was 5 stars. If you love gourmet food this is the place!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 7/12/2014Outstanding meal We had the chef tasting and every bite was a new adventure Wonderful homemade breads too A plus for creativitySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Incredible Service!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/11/2014We went hear the night we got engaged and the staff couldnt be happier to do everything possible to make the evening as special as possible for us. I didn't even tell them but our server found out through polite conversation so he sent some champagne to our table and the service throughout the night was incredible, capped off by receiving an engagement card from the entire staff! That very well complemented a very stellar meal. We got the Chawanmushi and Scallop appetizers which were both great. For mains, I got the pork neck which was very good and my fiance got the strip loin which was in an incredible cognac sauce which had perfect flavor. We also got a rhubarb dessert and truffles for dessert which was also good. Will be back soon.Special Features:
- fabulous food-very very expensivedineoutalotVIPDined on 6/28/2014We had the chef's tasting menu. We enjoyed each course. The food was delicious. We mentioned that we loved cheese so they added a cheese course (we thought it would replace dessert, not be an additional dessert to the 2 they served and be an additional cost item). We each had one drink plus my husband had one glass of wine and a cup of coffee. As I said, we enjoyed the meal, but the price was such that it will be a while before we return.Special Features:
- stanglander82Dined on 6/27/2014One of those places that the servers think you are there for them as opposed to them being there to provide service for you...especially the bartenders. Hopefully they get better since they are in my neighborhood.Special Features:
- The following 143 reviews are from the Avance reviews archive.
- ThediscerningdinerThepickypalette809Dined on 6/26/2014My wife and I had our anniversary dinner at Avance last night and it was an extraordinary experience. We had the chef's tasting and everything about it was a surprising delight. The meal was impeccably creative, not only in taste but in visual presentation and along with the attentive wait staff this was an extra special evening. Every detail was a gift. Every morsel was thoughtfully prepared building to multiple crescendo's throughout. This chef is truly an artist and his fare culinary art, satisfying on every level. Thank you Avance and Chef Bogle for having the courage to introduce this city of fine restaurants with one that raises the bar and amazes on it's own terms.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome experiencesurferrosaDined on 6/21/2014My husband and I are frequent diners at Philadelphia restaurants; however, it's been a long while since we've been as impressed with a dining experience like we had at Avance this weekend. We sampled the fare from the tasting menu, and thought that the meal was perfectly balanced -- wonderful flavors prepared with precision to bring the most out of the very fresh ingredients. The service was top notch, yet down to earth and friendly -- not unlike some of our favorite restaurants in Paris. The staff accommodated my specific food preferences (I'm 7 months pregnant), and each of the staff personally signed a birthday card for my husband, who was celebrating his special day at Avance. Would highly recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SpecialOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 6/16/2014This was a destination meal. The dining experience was the star of the show. Amazing in every way. Perfect for people interested in food, ingredients and preparation . Service seamless .Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beautiful presentationRuxtonVIPDined on 6/14/2014Over thinking dishes. Too many ingredients that sometimes did not create complimentary tastes or textures. High point was foie gras. Crab appetizer was lacking flavor. Asparagus and scallop dishes missed the mark. It was an ok meal but certainly did not meet expectations when a dinner for 4 costs close to $500. Hoped for better at the former home of Le Bec Fin.
- Sublime!OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 6/13/2014Avance is wonderful! Exciting, adventurous menu and the service was beyond great. We went for a special birthday. The staff treated us like royalty. The menu would thrill any foodie. Sublime!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best in Philly ...amazing dinner!StanVIPDined on 6/11/2014Brought a friend from DC. Our friend said he has never had as wonderful a meal....chef Bogle is amazing!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful!!!NickVIPDined on 6/11/2014Absolutely the best place in town!!! This was our first visit, and they made sure that we wouldn't forget it. We chose to do a la cartè, and have a bottle of champagne. The entire team visited our table to congratulate us for our anniversary. The food was phenomenal and the presentation was top notch. As a server in a competitors restaurant, I must say, we can take a few pointers. Very well done!! Looking forward to our next visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic!PandLVIPDined on 6/7/2014Wonderfully doting service combined with great dishes. Really cool interior. Was expecting a different (Le Bec Fin awning) look outside but walked right past the new decor. Loved the drinks and wine as well! I was presented with a birthday card signed by the staff. It was such a nice surprise.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing again!WhineNDineVIPDined on 6/7/2014Second time to Avance after loving it the first time. This time did not disappoint! We opted for the Chef's Tasting and told the server some of the dishes we preferred. We loved every one. Favorites were foie gras, king crab, skate, and the grilled vegetable platter. The bread served with each course is absolutely delicious; even a carb avoider can't say no...and, with the delicious butter and sea salt - it is amazing. Wine list is excellent; the chocolate dessert and salted caramels I received for my birthday treat was fabulous! The staff could not do enough for us; beyond attentive. We can't wait to dine again! A must try for a special occasion or even a group of friends! It is just that good!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/7/2014Limited menu; overpriced; small portions and you will leave hungry; however very tasty and unusual itemsSpecial Features:
- SuperlativeMichaelVIPDined on 6/2/2014We celebrated our anniversary with dinner at Avance and enjoyed it tremendously. The 5 course tasting menu was our selection; everything was delicious. When dining at a special place, it is expected there will be plates which would be nearly impossible to replicate at home so we were more than satisfied on that front. Philadelphia has become such a foodie town, with many wonderful restaurants to sample but we will definitely return to try to tasting menus for the rest of the seasons.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/31/2014Excellent service. Food was visually impressive and delicious. Also, my husband got a beet sauce stain on his shirt and one of the waiters gave him a Tide stain stick to use, which I thought was very nice!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Incredible!BwhartDined on 5/28/2014The staff is wonderfully attentive and the food was like a series of wonderful little delicious gifts! We will dedicatedly be back. It is expensive and some might find the staff pretentious but go in with the willingness to be served and enjoy it! The food is nothing less than exceptionally delicious and beautiful as well. If you want to remember occasion with a special experience this is the way to do it! Guy take your date and she/he surely be impressed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Foodie gemMikeDined on 5/24/2014We came across Avance on Open Table. Ask to sit up stairs if you would like lower noise levels. The menu is small, but our waiter did a great job bring the menu to life. The Pork neck and Sturgeon were awesome. I cannot say enough about the staff. They were funny, and took great care of us.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Justin Boggle is killing itPhillyBestBYOBVIPDined on 5/24/2014The Chef's tasting menu was spectacular. Creative, interesting, beautiful, and delicious. Despite LaBan's complaints, the service was impeccable, not even slightly over the top or pretentious, and "we have a bread program" wasn't mentioned even once (so maybe they changed things since he visited). An expensive indulgence, but one of the finest dining experience Philly has to offer. BTW, the bar downstairs is also excellent (love the lamb burger!).Special Features:
- Not Worth It For MeCannDined on 5/24/2014Very good tasting food, knowledgable staff. The chef is very talented and creative. He pairs things together that one would normally toss - a broccoli stalk or the stem of dill. There were too many servers so it did get a bit confusing. The prices were a bit too ridiculous for the small amount of food that you actually get and not worth it. I left feeling very taken advantage of.