Avalon Restaurant - West Chester
116 E Gay St
West Chester, PA 19380Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
Avalon Restaurant - West Chester
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.avalonrestaurant.net/
- Phone: 6104364100x
- Hours of Operation:
Daily: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
Sunday 4:00pm - 9:00pm
Enjoy our Giro del Menu "Tour the Menu". A four course medium plate offering available daily for $49.
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: John Brandt-Lee
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Entertainment, Fireplace, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access
- Catering: Please call for details or visit our website at www.avalonrestaurant.net
- Private Party Facilities: Avalon offers the Outdoor Patio accommodating up to 45 guests, the second dining room up to 30 guests & main dining room up to 45 guests.
- Private Party Contact: Kris Kummerer 6104364100x
- Entertainment: Live Music
Friday and Saturday
Happy Hour Monday - Friday 4:30 - 7:300
- Special Events: Enjoy our Giro del Menu "Tour the Menu". A four course medium plate tour of the menu $49
A word from Avalon Restaurant - West Chester
Avalon Restaurant and Bar, located at 116 East Gay Street in historical West Chester, Pennsylvania is best known for its romantic ambiance and rustic Italian menu. We are a full service restaurant and bar decorated with European elements. Our accommodations go beyond the main dining area. If you enjoy dining al fresco, street cafe, lined with lush plants is perfect for you and your guests. Avalon also provides private dining rooms open most weekends for a more quiet and romantic experience and available during the week for private parties of up to 45 guests. Enjoy our Giro del Menu "Tour the Menu". A four course medium plate offering available daily $49.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Avalon Restaurant - West Chester reviews from OpenTable diners
119 reviews since May 5, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (61)neighborhood gem (55)great for outdoor dining (50)special occasion (36)good for groups (31)vibrant bar scene (20)romantic (17)hot spot (13)notable wine list (10)late-night find (8)great for lunch (6)great for brunch (4)kid-friendly (4)scenic view (2)Show More
- Fabulous new findStollybollyDined on 8/30/2014Fabulous food, very attentive service. Will be back soon... Loved it!Special Features:
- Ramping upOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 8/30/2014This is the first time I've been in the restaurant since their move. The food continues to impress, but a few wrinkles with staff training and bartending need to be worked out. We'll definitely return.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 8/24/2014New location, but same great food and service. Drinks were made perfectly, cheese platter great as always, and the menu tour stll the best value around. BYOB Sunday made everything complete.Special Features:
- Chef Can't Keep Up with Volume?WestChesterNativeDined on 8/21/2014At least if I had to guess, maybe that is why the quality at Avalon has gone downhill. Nice building! Seating three times the old location on High. Fish was tough, fried in butter, "composed" on the plate, "accompanied" by small mounds of various stuff. Looking but not tasting fancy. The cheese board you can't get just anywhere, and it's as good as it was at the old location. All selections on the wine list (new now that they have a liquor license) are $9, a novel approach you don't see everywhere. Not all that tasty. At $9 per glass they should do better. Seems they might be transitioning. But to what? Tecca (similar style) or Limoncello (more traditional) are better "Italian." For foodie, fresh and local, Roots across the road is better.Special Features:
- BuntzVIPDined on 8/20/2014Avalon has maintained their great food and service since moving to the new location on Gay Street. Dining on the sidewalk is not as nice as the secluded patio on High Street, but, on a pleasant West Chester evening, you could do a lot worse. The calamari and veal were outstanding, as was my wife's monkfish, and they serve a mean Margarita! Josh did a fine job serving us.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MaacDined on 8/20/2014We think the other place on High street had better ambience, more friendly to us
- Great MealPCMaDined on 8/19/2014My husband and I had a wonderful outdoor dining experience for our anniversary. We had the European tour (four courses). All the courses were delicious! Well prepared and interesting food! The wait staff were great.Special Features:
- Fit for a foodieFoodLuvrDined on 8/15/2014I'm so glad we finally decided to go to Avalon. We had been eyeing it up for weeks. And we were not at all disappointed. I had a delicious salad, my friends had the salmon and short ribs and absolutely loved them. The antipasti was fantastic!Special Features:
- DelishDMacDined on 8/15/2014As usual, JBL has a gem in West Chester;although we certainly miss the garden at the "old" Avalon. I had the swordfish and yellow beet salad. My husband had the filet. Everything was delish. I'd like to see more gluten-free options. We wanted to order the cheese plate, but with no GF crackers/bread available, we opted for other appetizers.Special Features:
- Nice diningBMOCDined on 8/13/2014Good experience, service and atmosphere are good. Menu concise and not confusing, plan to returnSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DinerDined on 8/13/2014The entire experience was excellent. The food (we opted for small plates to share) was amazing and beautifully presented. Avalon is definitely worth a visit and many repeat visits.Special Features:
- Pleasant Surprisenagjs1Dined on 8/11/2014A last minute selection on a Monday night, my wife and I were very happy with Avalon. Our waitress was superb - attentive, personable, and gave her opinion on menu questions we had. We each got the European Tour of the Menu, and the portions, while smaller than if ordered separately, were filling. The highlight was the sauce on the lemon shrimp pasta plate - outstanding. We were there on a Monday when BYOB is permitted, and I recommend this, as the wine selection is not very large.Special Features:
- New AvalonFrequentDinerDined on 8/11/2014The food and service were as good as the old location, but lack of nearby free parking and very noisy venue detract from the experience. Like that they kept some days BYOB.Special Features:
- Great food/noisy outsideLovegoodfoodVIPDined on 8/9/2014My husband and I both had excellent meals here last week. It was a pleasant summer evening, sitting outside, but the street noise was above an acceptable level for the 2 of us to have much conversation. It would have been even more difficult with a group. We will return again. They have made changes to their menu which we felt were positive ones.Special Features:
- West Chester gem!CanarylynneVIPDined on 8/8/2014Great restaurant. Excellent food. Definitely recommend the antipasti!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- disappointed in new locationbowlerxDined on 8/7/2014loved this restaurant in its old location -- intimate, quiet, great service and superb food. New location was just not the same -- but they got a liqueur license out of moving. Food wasn't prepared as well [Veal was over done], service was poor [no one paid attention to us, server didn't understand ice tea was flavored, etc], and the owners who always stopped by were no where to be seen.
- What happenedFlygirl5VIPDined on 8/2/2014I don't understand it. Nonna's which previously there and the "old Avalon" location were both really good. The "new Avalon" simply isn't. Four of us ate there and not one of us would ever go back. Some of the people who work there (not our waiter) have a huge attitude problem.
- birthday dinnerFridayVIPDined on 8/1/2014Avalon did a great job, food is always top notch and never disappoints. they gave us a small private room that worked perfect. the small plates have gotten bigger, lots and lots of food.
- enjoyable!leenVIPDined on 7/29/2014Good atmosphere during the early week for dinner and you can bring your own wine Sunday-Tuesday so that was much appreciated. Flatbreads are very good as well as the ribs. Of course, the added bonus was that we were seated next Emeril's table while HE ate dinner - hard to beat that!Special Features:
- Reliably good food in WCMaiaDined on 7/27/2014Cheese plate here is awesome, and love that they are both BYOB and now have liquor. My food choices weren't the best - too heavy for me - though everyone else seemed to love theirs. Service is wonderful. I was there on a Monday night so the ambience was nothing remarkable, though there was a surprising amount of noise considering how not full the restaurant was. Outdoor on-street dining option.Special Features:
- Great Food, Loud MusicnevrcookDined on 7/26/2014My sister and I dined at Avalon on a Saturday night. The service was average. The server brought the wrong salad and told us that they probably could not substitute vodka for gin in my martini. Fortunately, they could. The food was excellent. However, the atmosphere was ruined when the band started playing at 8:00. After the band started playing, no one wanted to be seated in the dining area where we were eating. My sister and I had to strain to hear each other. We recommend that the band start playing later in the night, or not play at all.Special Features:
- Great move uptownwendy717Dined on 7/20/2014The new location is very spacious. We had a perfect night to sit outside. The appitizers were out of this world! Make sure you try the mussels in white wine sauce... Entries were very good and reasonably priced.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food is always fabulous!LollydinerVIPDined on 7/19/2014We have been to both locations and absolutely love Avalon! Best restaurant in West Chester, by far! The menu is small, but every dish we get we love! Bar area is large and there was live music... Perfect for a group of us to enjoy after dinner!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- As good as alwaysLauraDined on 7/18/2014My first time in the new location about 2 months ago yielded great food but very slow arrival of our entrees (probably 45+ minutes after the small plates came out). This time, the service was excellent and the food was still wonderful. We sat outside and had a great dinner. This is one of my favorite restaurants so I'm glad they got the rough spots involved with moving worked out. I highly recommend Avalon.Special Features:
- Great food, good locationno1owlsfanVIPDined on 7/17/2014The wine list, food menu and ambiance was all very good. Where I felt they needed some improvement was tied to the service. First, although we were only about a minute late for our reservation, it took 10 minutes for us to be seated because the table needed to be cleaned off. In addition, they had not logged our reservation with the Open Table system, although this was later rectified. Our waitress was friendly initially, however after we got our meals, we didn't see her again until we were done and then she asked us about dessert. And, while it seemed other staff were helping to serve drinks and apps, no one came back with more water. Minor details, but these things add up to an average dining experience versus an outstanding one.Special Features:
- Sean1120Dined on 7/14/2014Thanks for special service-excellent meal. One of my favorites in west Chester yummy halibut a mustSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BuntzVIPDined on 7/10/2014Ate outdoors on a lovely Summer Thursday in West Chester, when Gay Street was blocked to traffic and we could watch the passing parade. Very cool, especially with an excellent Margarita! Everything was delicious: grilled calamari, lamb pappardelle bolognese, and veal with shrimp. Julia's service was great. Could hear enough of the "Great American Song Book" music, even with the bustle on the street, to enjoy it. Nice evening.Special Features:
- bongiornoKellyjayDined on 7/3/2014We were regular patrons of the sister establishment in Downingtown, and the menu here is similar. The flat breads are a great way to start, crispy with the right mix of sauce and cheese. The meatballs are a favorite of ours and we regularly choose pasta. Last night did not disappoint. My ravioli in a light cream sauce was perfectly prepared and my wife's papparadelle with lamb ragout was wonderful. The only disappointment was the Chianti -- very little character. The wine list is pretty limited -- doesn't even give vintages -- and perhaps more care could be taken with selection. In future, I will inquire about a corkage and bring my own if possible. Noise levels are on the high side, but we will be back.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/3/2014Obviously, the move from high street has not gone well Service was bad not at all what we had come to expect from our experience at the high street location
- very disappointingGoodVIPDined on 7/2/2014How I miss the old Avalon! we ordered a glass of wine at $9 each and got a meager pour-no more than 4 ounces each. When we complained to the manager, she did say it was a "short pour". She did say their normal pour was 5.5 ounces. We sent the wine back and ordered a bottle for $33. When we asked what sauce was on a pasta, our waitress said red; it was a brown sauce-so she was not informed as to the sauces on the product. Noise level is deafening. Very loud! The wine, though, was the deal breaker for us. I don't think we will return soon. And I would not recommend the restaurant to anyone soon. So sad, since the old Avalon was a gem!
- Great find!FunnyfamilyVIPDined on 6/27/2014This restaurant had delicious food! The bar was very friendly and we were seated at our reservation time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- jgun64Dined on 6/27/2014Food & service were excellent!!! However the noise level was horrible. There was just the 2 of us & we had such a hard tome hearing. Had there been more of us at our table there would be no way we could hear anyone else in our party. Our poor waitress had to be hoarse from all the yelling she had to do.Special Features:
- BuntzVIPDined on 6/21/2014Very fine meal in Avalon's location on Gay Street. We ate outdoors late on a lovely evening and had a delightful experience, with great service and food, just as in the much-missed space on S. High St. Nothing will ever beat that patio, but the street seating was quite nice.Special Features:
- Great experienceRegularWCDined on 6/21/2014From beginning to end, a great dining experience. Service, ambiance and food all top notch.Special Features:
- Great foodEdwardVIPDined on 6/21/2014Always a delight. Great food and unique dishes. highly recommend the antipasta appetizer for two.Special Features:
- ccfoodie1ccfoodie1Dined on 6/17/2014Our experience at Avalon at it's new location was good although not noteworthy. The food was very good but the portions were small compared to similar restaurants in West Chester. Our server was very good, but the wait for the food was longer than it should be especially for the salads. We saw people who came in after us getting their entrees while we were still waiting for the salads. Noise level was very high as the restaurant filled up. I do like the BYOB option on some days of the week.Special Features:
- Different setting/same qualityNickDined on 6/16/2014We miss the 'courtyard' at their old location on, but the food continues to be top quality and the service good.Special Features:
- Neighborhood gemdiningoutDined on 6/15/2014We had a wonderful Father's Day dining experience which included delicious cuisine from appetizers to dessert. The decor is lovely, seating is comfortable and our server Sean was knowledgeable, attentive and friendly. We would definitely return and would recommend Avalon to others.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love it!EnjoylifeVIPDined on 6/8/2014The new location is great. It's always a 5 star experience at Avalon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always deliviouslynneDined on 6/7/2014We have been eating at Avalon for years and have always been happy with the experience. So happy they moved to a part of West Chester where parking is easier to find.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.